Taking Metformin, and no dietary changes.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Icy, cold winds where I live, when I want to be outside ;)
I wanted to ask about the possible results of using the Metformin, and eating what I want. I am not doing this but I did some googling this a.m. to see if I could find something factual, or others experience. Then I came here because I like hearing from folks that actually have Diabetes more than articles by "who knows who".

I would love to hear others experience, thoughts, warnings, on using the drug, and going on pretty much eating what you want?

I'll tell you my first thought on it and that is, I would be concerned that the drug would stop working eventually because it would be overworked at it's job. It's my understanding, what little I have at this new point of my life, that Metformin slows down the pace of the liver releasing sugar into the bloodstream. I am not quoting anything, it's something I read this morning. Well, I will put it here so you'll know what site I had pop up in my search.

I'm not saying this is right, it's just an "off the wall" statement from some site:

It works by reducing the amount of sugar your liver releases throughout the day, and it increases your body's sensitivity to insulin. It can also reduce the amount of glucose that is absorbed from the food you eat, which in turn reduces your blood sugar levels after eating.Dec 5, 2018 diabetesstrong.com

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid that Metformin only helps to a limited extent and needs to be taken in conjunction with a suitable diet. In our case, a suitable diet must have reduced carbs. It is correct that it works by reducing the amount of glucose your liver releases, and it can improve sensitivity to insulin, but little else. It is a very mild drug and is not a cure, and will not allow you to eat whatever you want.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I wanted to ask about the possible results of using the Metformin, and eating what I want. I am not doing this but I did some googling this a.m. to see if I could find something factual, or others experience. Then I came here because I like hearing from folks that actually have Diabetes more than articles by "who knows who".

I would love to hear others experience, thoughts, warnings, on using the drug, and going on pretty much eating what you want?

I'll tell you my first thought on it and that is, I would be concerned that the drug would stop working eventually because it would be overworked at it's job. It's my understanding, what little I have at this new point of my life, that Metformin slows down the pace of the liver releasing sugar into the bloodstream. I am not quoting anything, it's something I read this morning. Well, I will put it here so you'll know what site I had pop up in my search.

I'm not saying this is right, it's just an "off the wall" statement from some site:

It works by reducing the amount of sugar your liver releases throughout the day, and it increases your body's sensitivity to insulin. It can also reduce the amount of glucose that is absorbed from the food you eat, which in turn reduces your blood sugar levels after eating.Dec 5, 2018 diabetesstrong.com
It will only work a small amount
Add more drugs might allow it, I was there, for years controlled via metformin plus other drugs, but it will get more difficult to control the blood levels. At some point will get to the point it will no longer work and insulin will be the end conclusion

I have now reversed a lot by low carb and exercise but no... it’s not a sensible option

Reactions: G0ldengirl68

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I agree, maybe there was something in my brain that was urging me to keep taking the drug so I don't have to be so strict about things. But honestly, I've never been the "just take a pill" type. I'm not opposed to one if I need it though. Lastnight I felt kind of secure after taking my ER Metformin, and I had an English Muffin with just a measured amount of Simply Fruit jelly for a snack before bed. I did sleep good, no issues, but today/this a.m., I was concerned that I'd done that. I don't know what goes on during that "fasting" time.

I can tell you I don't want to cheat myself out of a chance to really overcome T2, feel good, and love what I eat. I am already becoming adapted to "no carbs" at all, then I throw in something like I did lastnight. Maybe no one is that perfect and I want to just relax, accept my situation, and be happy I have food to eat at all.

Hotpepper20000

Type two is not just about high blood sugar. It’s about too much insulin for the typical type 2 (there are some that’s not the case)
Chances are that you had high insulin resistance before high blood sugar.
With that comes weight gain and inflammation.
Metformin helps a little with that, but a much more powerful tool is to reduce the amount of insulin in your body by eating things that keep your blood sugar stable.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It will only work a small amount
Add more drugs might allow it, I was there, for years controlled via metformin plus other drugs, but it will get more difficult to control the blood levels. At some point will get to the point it will no longer work and insulin will be the end conclusion

I have now reversed a lot by low carb and exercise but no... it’s not a sensible option

It doesn't sound sensible at all does it Andy. I would much rather to listen to what you experienced and skip that part. I'm so impatient at times. I want to feel good again, and that just isn't going to happen because I am older now and there are other things as well. Getting this stuff going on makes me appreciate how well I felt for being 67-turning 68 just a few months ago.

I want to be happy happy with my new way of eating, and yesterday I was looking in the fridge and just started crying because there was nothing I could just stuff in my face, or so I thought. Like I was on auto-pilot and started pulling out all my healthy stuff and just started a few nibbles. Next thing I knew I was preparing a decent lunch. I do sort of wish I had "prepared" meals. I think I'm just lazy sometimes ;)

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Type two is not just about high blood sugar. It’s about too much insulin for the typical type 2 (there are some that’s not the case)
Chances are that you had high insulin resistance before high blood sugar.
With that comes weight gain and inflammation.
Metformin helps a little with that, but a much more powerful tool is to reduce the amount of insulin in your body by eating things that keep your blood sugar stable.
I didn't have any weight-gain out of the ordinary but don't know, inflammation not sure? I don't a lot of natural anti-inflammatory things because of the last 5 years getting some small aches and pains. Also, life-long headaches (migraines 99 percent of them).

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A muffin is probably equal to a big dinner for me - In my fridge I have eggs and various cheeses, lots of salad stuff, a sugar free jelly with berries in it, Greek yoghurt, cream, cooked meat, and in the freezer there is all sorts of things to eat that might be OK once defrosted. Chickens, chops, steaks, sausages, kippers and other fish bags of seafood frozen stirfy and mixed veges, mixed berries, stirfry and mushrooms too. I go to the freezer and move things to the fridge regularly so as to have things ready to prepare.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also, life-long headaches (migraines 99 percent of them).

The biggest win for me of eating ketogenically has been the total disappearance of my lifelong, chronic migraines. Three years and 7 months without one at all. There’s quite a crowd of us on here in the same position, or at least with much reduced instances.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
A muffin is probably equal to a big dinner for me - In my fridge I have eggs and various cheeses, lots of salad stuff, a sugar free jelly with berries in it, Greek yoghurt, cream, cooked meat, and in the freezer there is all sorts of things to eat that might be OK once defrosted. Chickens, chops, steaks, sausages, kippers and other fish bags of seafood frozen stirfy and mixed veges, mixed berries, stirfry and mushrooms too. I go to the freezer and move things to the fridge regularly so as to have things ready to prepare.
That all sounds good to me @Resurgam ;) I have some of the same but haven't found any sugar free jelly ;) I have lots of Almond Flour now, and want to try the Coconut as well. There are really tons of good things we can eat and not worry about aren't there,

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Certainly are - I started to low carb back in the early 1970s and never felt any temptation to eat sugary treats.
I have no idea what an Oreo biscuit tastes like, and can't see the attraction of doughnuts.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I keep some lc treats in the freezer so there is always a bite there if needed when the good stuff in the fridge just doesn't cut it.
This week it is brownies. A 7 " square pan cuts into 16 pieces so gives me over 2 weeks of treats

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The biggest win for me of eating ketogenically has been the total disappearance of my lifelong, chronic migraines. Three years and 7 months without one at all. There’s quite a crowd of us on here in the same position, or at least with much reduced instances.
I don't know how old your are but my migraines stopped for several years when I got into menopause. Now I get one maybe twice a year. I still never figured out the cause. If it's lack of carbs, fixing the insulin issue/BG then I will be thrilled.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I keep some lc treats in the freezer so there is always a bite there if needed when the good stuff in the fridge just doesn't cut it.
This week it is brownies. A 7 " square pan cuts into 16 pieces so gives me over 2 weeks of treats
I like the sound of that, but need to get baking with my Almond Flour ;)

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Certainly are - I started to low carb back in the early 1970s and never felt any temptation to eat sugary treats.
I have no idea what an Oreo biscuit tastes like, and can't see the attraction of doughnuts.
Sugar is addicting for me, and any carbs can be, especially the simple carbs. I had withdrawals or atleast bigtime cravings at one point before I was diagnosed with T2. I hardly ever ate (in about the last 20-30 years) just sugar treats like candy, cookies. But the carbs were many like breads, crackers, chips etc. ;)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya @G0ldengirl68 I’m one who took metformin for first two years after diagnosis but apart from giving me dodgy guts and reducing my appetite I feel it didn’t help my bg much. For me it’s about eating low carb and managing stress plus good sleep habits. Have not taken metformin now for more than three years and despite hbaca1 at 97 on diagnosis have now been diet only for 3 plus years and my hbaca1 has stayed in the low 30s. It’s well worth a good look at your lifestyle and how you can move forward but keep enjoying your - low carb - food. I’m more than happy with my new lifestyle for life and hated the low fat diet and metformin taking days, in the years after diagnosis I felt utterly miserable but now feel I’m taking care of myself and feel so much healthier. You need to experiment re what works for you too.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hiya @G0ldengirl68 I’m one who took metformin for first two years after diagnosis but apart from giving me dodgy guts and reducing my appetite I feel it didn’t help my bg much. For me it’s about eating low carb and managing stress plus good sleep habits. Have not taken metformin now for more than three years and despite hbaca1 at 97 on diagnosis have now been diet only for 3 plus years and my hbaca1 has stayed in the low 30s. It’s well worth a good look at your lifestyle and how you can move forward but keep enjoying your - low carb - food. I’m more than happy with my new lifestyle for life and hated the low fat diet and metformin taking days, in the years after diagnosis I felt utterly miserable but now feel I’m taking care of myself and feel so much healthier. You need to experiment re what works for you too.
Loved reading this, yes, I want to go your route for sure. I was in looking at recipes again for baking a few nibbles, but I never was a sweet-snacker so that won't be too hard. Carbs yes, loved toast, cereal with a banana, really things that seemed healthy but contributed to my situation now. I've heard enough negative about pills and my gut tells me "don't take the pill" so I'm going the zero carb route, but faultering just bit here and there. I'd like to just leave the pills in the bottle for at least a week maybe, and see how my readings go. It's such a hard choice because I'm not having too awful of side effects, but still.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Loved reading this, yes, I want to go your route for sure. I was in looking at recipes again for baking a few nibbles, but I never was a sweet-snacker so that won't be too hard. Carbs yes, loved toast, cereal with a banana, really things that seemed healthy but contributed to my situation now. I've heard enough negative about pills and my gut tells me "don't take the pill" so I'm going the zero carb route, but faultering just bit here and there. I'd like to just leave the pills in the bottle for at least a week maybe, and see how my readings go. It's such a hard choice because I'm not having too awful of side effects, but still.
Don’t try zero carb - very tough - you can afford to lower them slowly till you get to the level that suits you why not experiment? I do on average 20 to 30 g of carb daily and have for three and a half years but started out for a few weeks at about 80g and then worked my way down
Some guys here - calling @Rachox -do low carb but also take metformin very successfully it’s what works best for you and take your time to experiment to see how you can manage this condition for the rest of your life in as enjoyable way as possible.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My cousin and his wife are my age (60ish) and both T2. I mentioned low carb to my cousin and he said that he liked his carbs too much, and was happy on his injections of lantus. His wife, however, sounds to have brittle diabetes and needs a dexcom to control the lows. (They live in the US and have good health insurance.)

There's nothing wrong with insulin per se, it keeps me alive so I'm a big fan, but it does have certain issues (hypos for one and need for care in balancing it to your carb intake, aka carb counting for two). So I wouldn't go there if I didn't have to, but others make different decisions.

But my T2 dad got up to gliclazide before going low carb and eliminating his diabetic meds, and now manages on a max of 30g per meal. Admittedly, he's running an hba1c in the low 50s (53 or 7%?) but as he's 90 his GP is happy with this as they are a lot more concerned with hypos for a 90yo than slightly high bgs. He's been T2 for over ten years now, low carb for two years. I don't think you have to go full keto to control T2, but you do need a blood sugar testing meter so that you can see how well your diet is currently working. (Having said that, my dad hardly tests at all now, but he did while he was staying with me and converting to low carb.)

I personally wouldn't hesitate to take metformin if I needed it, it's a very well researched drug and has been in use for decades. (I possibly took it for a couple of years while on a drug trial, but it was double blind and I never got to find out whether I was having a placebo or not.)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @shelley262 . Yes I started on Metformin and low carb eating straight after I was diagnosed in May ‘17. I initially dropped my carbs to 100g/day and then gradually reduced them til I achieved consistent levels I was happy with, which these days is < 45g/day. I keep on my Metformin as I don’t wish to alter my diet any further than I have. I’m lucky in that I don’t get any adverse effects from the tablets.