The Fabulous Fasters Group Fast April 2018

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. After a very restless night FBG is 3.8 (at 34.5 hours fasted) and weight is 58.6kg - a 1.1kg loss.

Just enjoying a tea with cream. Less hungry this morning than I was last night so feeling good about today.

kamsamji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just got a note of this post and it looks interesting. What are the basic 'rules', ie does and don'ts? My last meal.was last night about 9pm. Only had a coffee with a dash of milk this morning, but can go black moving forward.
How long are people aiming for?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just got a note of this post and it looks interesting. What are the basic 'rules', ie does and don'ts? My last meal.was last night about 9pm. Only had a coffee with a dash of milk this morning, but can go black moving forward.
Hi and welcome.. I'm aiming for breaking Friday evening which will be almost 4 days of no "food" just water tea with lactofree milk and coffee with double cream.

Last edited:

kamsamji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome.. I'm aiming for breaking Friday evening which will be almost 4 days of no "food" just water tea with lactofree milk and coffee and coffee with double cream.
Count me in. Is regular milk that much of a no no?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all just got up and re booted the internet so am now connected to the world again...

Morning numbers are as follows
FBG 3.5! I think that's my lowest ever recorded FBG
Ketones 4.9
Weight 210.8 pounds
Body Fat 26.8%
Visceral fat 12
BMI 28.6

Slept well woke briefly just before 6 then back to sleep to wake "proper" just before 7.

Feel fine was a bit hungry last night at the 6.30-9.30 mark confirming that Grehlin (hunger hormone) is strongest at about 48 hours but resisted the bacon again, next time I'll hide it in the freezer..

Reactions: Freema

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers. I'll start slow. How are you measuring your visceral fat, out of interest?
I have an Omron body composition scale (which I know can be rather inaccurate) but the gym I joined , and visit far too rarely, has a more professional one which had very similar results to my home one.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Morning all just got up and re booted the internet so am now connected to the world again...

Morning numbers are as follows
FBG 3.5! I think that's my lowest ever recorded FBG
Ketones 4.9
Weight 210.8 pounds
Body Fat 26.8%
Visceral fat 12
BMI 28.6

Slept well woke briefly just before 6 then back to sleep to wake "proper" just before 7.

Feel fine was a bit hungry last night at the 6.30-9.30 mark confirming that Grehlin (hunger hormone) is strongest at about 48 hours but resisted the bacon again, next time I'll hide it in the freezer..
This Fasting stuff is really the most powerful tool - period (as the Americans) would say, but I have to admire the power it has given you to "reboot the internet", this is impressive.

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
52 hours nearly

"Am I doing it wrong?" I asked myself.

Well, I'm not eating owt, only drinking black coffee and water whilst dining on fresh air.

So why are my bloods not going down? 5.8 this morning!! Grrrr :confused:

(maybe the fresh air in the Midlands is loaded with sugar?)

Reactions: DJC3 and Freema

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Checking in with a fasting blood glucose of 3.6 @ 06.56, next time round I will have ketone measurements (feel like I missing out on the extended data). I did walk yesterday evening for around 3 miles, so I will do some mixed training today.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
52 hours nearly

"Am I doing it wrong?" I asked myself.

Well, I'm not eating owt, only drinking black coffee and water whilst dining on fresh air.

So why are my bloods not going down? 5.8 this morning!! Grrrr :confused:

(maybe the fresh air in the Midlands is loaded with sugar?)

Could be that your liver is just dumping out the excess glucose that is still in your body? Am i right in thinking that you are a fairly new member? so it may be that you still have quite a lot of glucose to get rid of and your liver is taking this as a great opportunity to do exactly that. It could well be viewed as a positive.. Are you taking your meds?

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could be that your liver is just dumping out the excess glucose that is still in your body? Am i right in thinking that you are a fairly new member? so it may be that you still have quite a lot of glucose to get rid of and your liver is taking this as a great opportunity to do exactly that. It could well be viewed as a positive.. Are you taking your meds?

I am indeed new, @Freema pointed out a similar thing in the other thread. I more than likely have a very fatty liver, so I will just hang in there and not measure myself by you more experienced folk.

I'm taking my Metformin, which is my only drug for diabetes. I do take fenofexadine for urticaria but I also stopped taking Omeprazol two days ago. Thought that would be a good idea whilst my stomach acid is going to be low. Apart from that I only take a spray for my COPD.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All,

Now you all have several days of fasting under your belts (as it were) can I interject and ask you how you are sleeping?
And whether you find going to bed on an empty stomach affects your sleep? Your fast? Your functioning the next day?

The reason I ask is that I find extended fasts get sabotaged at around 2.30 am (yes, I can time it precisely), after I have been lying there for about 3 hours worriting that I won't get to sleep cos I am HUNGRY, and if I don't sleep, then I will be too sleep deprived to drive/work/get up for that important thing in the morning. At which point I get up and snaffle something in order to get a bit of sleep. I know that it is partly psychological, but I do ALWAYS get a blood glucose dip, sometimes into the 2s at around 2-3am. And I have a history of night time hypos with some really impressive nightmares, so there are grounds for my trepidation. I have wondered about trying to trick my body my drinking a big mug of bone broth, or water or bovril with psyllium husks at 10pm, so that at least my tum isn't growling in the wee small hours.

Do any of you get this?
And if so, what do you do about it?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi. I'm shooting for 48 hours, which will be up at 6pm tonight. Would love to go further, but I have weekend visitors arriving on Friday, and have to prepare a whole lot of food tonight - so the temptation may well be too much. We'll see.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All,

Now you all have several days of fasting under your belts (as it were) can I interject and ask you how you are sleeping?
And whether you find going to bed on an empty stomach affects your sleep? Your fast? Your functioning the next day?

The reason I ask is that I find extended fasts get sabotaged at around 2.30 am (yes, I can time it precisely), after I have been lying there for about 3 hours worriting that I won't get to sleep cos I am HUNGRY, and if I don't sleep, then I will be too sleep deprived to drive/work/get up for that important thing in the morning. At which point I get up and snaffle something in order to get a bit of sleep. I know that it is partly psychological, but I do ALWAYS get a blood glucose dip, sometimes into the 2s at around 2-3am. And I have a history of night time hypos with some really impressive nightmares, so there are grounds for my trepidation. I have wondered about trying to trick my body my drinking a big mug of bone broth, or water or bovril with psyllium husks at 10pm, so that at least my tum isn't growling in the wee small hours.

Do any of you get this?
And if so, what do you do about it?

Last night was my first ever going to sleep on an empty stomach. A big hurdle overcome! Had tea with cream before going to bed and hunger was not too bad. I didn't sleep well - not unusal for me - and I don't think it was hunger that caused it. Felt very sleepy before going to bed, but then just couldn't get off to sleep; woke up a couple of hours later to pee (drinks before bed are not a good idea), and then woke at about 3am and couldn't really get back to sleep properly after that. Probably got about another hour in.

I am functioning fine at work (for now) - although of course, I'm not actually doing any work at this precise moment!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I'm shooting for 48 hours, which will be up at 6pm tonight. Would love to go further, but I have weekend visitors arriving on Friday, and have to prepare a whole lot of food tonight - so the temptation may well be too much. We'll see.
You have done amazingly well so far and all since dx Dec 16. Is there a length of fasting where the body ever "turns in on itself" and bg rises again?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have done amazingly well so far and all since dx Dec 16. Is there a length of fasting where the body ever turns in on itself" and bg rises again?

I'm not experienced enough to know that - this is my longest fast!

@bulkbiker might know more.

Reactions: rab5

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have done amazingly well so far and all since dx Dec 16. Is there a length of fasting where the body ever "turns in on itself" and bg rises again?
I usually get my lowest numbers after about 60 hours which my FBG of 3.5 this morning confirms, then they usually go up to about 4.0 and stay there for the rest of the fast. I have however only done 7 days max.
This is the record of one of the best charted really extended fasts I have ever seen 46 days
https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/a-really-extended-fast-going-for-46-days/8415/84 he switches units to mmol/l after about 2 weeks to makes the GKI easier to see.