The Fabulous Fasters Group Fast April 2018

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good that @Nexus6 asked the question, and thank you for your helpful reply @bulkbiker.
It seems that we all have our own methods when it comes to fasting. In the past (not including the sort of fasting that was my Newcastle diet phase) I have managed several 16 hour fasts, only eating in the 8 hour window, the rest of the time just drinking water, coffee and herb tea. I have completed 3 x 24 hour fasts by eating a light evening meal, then nothing but water and coffee until the following evening meal. Only once have I done 48 hours, but included some homemade beef bone broth that time. I must say that was the only time I felt hungry. Whether that was the length of time or addition of bone broth, I am not sure.
Interesting that some of you use cream as part of your fast. I hadn't thought of that, though I do find that cream is one food that I could easily binge on, and my digestive system objects if I have more than a couple of teaspoons of it.
The only measures I have taken when fasting have been blood glucose and weight. Apart from when being monitored by GP when on ND, when ketones were checked with a shaded keto stick. I didn't take much notice, but was told I was in ketosis during the calorie restriction phase.
Planning ahead, to embark on the next fast, I think I would have bone broth available, small amount of cream for coffee, keep records: starting measure of weight, (investing in scales that measure fat percentage) average fasting blood glucose, blood pressure, ketones. Would appreciate any other advice from those of you more experienced.

Oh and just so you don't see this as being all about me, I add that I admire and appreciate the efforts and candid reports of those of you doing this. Well done folks.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, the fast is broken at 48 hours.

I hit 3.4 shortly after 2pm and hunger was getting stronger and more frequent, so decided to quit. Carried on to the 48 hour mark and have just eaten 25g almonds. Dinner is in the oven.

Will post full data later/in the morning but pre-almonds BG was 3.8 and ketones 5.2.

Kudos to all those going well beyond 48 hours.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, the fast is broken at 48 hours.

I hit 3.4 shortly after 2pm and hunger was getting stronger and more frequent, so decided to quit. Carried on to the 48 hour mark and have just eaten 25g almonds. Dinner is in the oven.

Will post full data later/in the morning but pre-almonds BG was 3.8 and ketones 5.2.

Kudos to all those going well beyond 48 hours.
Well done for your new fasting record! The hunger at 48 hours is meant to be the worst bit and after that it gets easier.. or so I have found today.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope this is a bi monthly event for the fasting troop...

I have found that after fasting control of your FBG levels stay low with good LCHF discipline. Giving your pancreas a rest can only be good.
Maybe even monthly?

Reactions: Freema

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done for your new fasting record! The hunger at 48 hours is meant to be the worst bit and after that it gets easier.. or so I have found today.

Thanks. I’ve read that and hopefully next time I can push on further.

Reactions: Freema

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Checking in:
I bought some Ketostix

52 Hour Fast BG and Ketones 26.04.16.jpg

I am going to do some weights to raise my BG and will break my fast at networking in the morning around 06:45 (hate this timing).

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Yep, let’s do it.
There is a forum on this site that does weigh-ins I believe on a Friday. Can we get a consensus on the start day of fasts. My two pennies are a Sunday afternoon / evening, the reason being purely selfish in that I enjoy having family meal, and less selfishly Sunday to Monday seems sensible? Other suggestions.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have now done 28 hrs with only cream in tea or coffee. BG 4.7 keytones 1.1. This is the longest I have ever gone so thanks for the nudge guys and gals. Wonder what fbg will be? I only have 1 more keytone strip but have more on order so I will be fascinated where that ends up. I know these are baby steps but I would never have dreamed of doing this even 6 months ago.

Reactions: rom35

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done all who have joined and are continuing..
Tonights readings are... after walking the dog taking magnesium and cleaning my teeth

BG 4.2
Ketones 5.1

Wonder what tomorrows numbers will be..

todays intake

Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 22.28.46.png

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a forum on this site that does weigh-ins I believe on a Friday. Can we get a consensus on the start day of fasts. My two pennies are a Sunday afternoon / evening, the reason being purely selfish in that I enjoy having family meal, and less selfishly Sunday to Monday seems sensible? Other suggestions.
How's about the third sunday of the month last meal on sunday evening?
That fits in quite nicely with me getting back from the PHC conference in London in May.

kamsamji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I stopped at 24 hours. Not because ninwas hungry, but it's the first proper fast I've done.... so will do the next one longer. Wasn't hard today, but as you say, the 48 hour mark will be interesting!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I stopped at 24 hours. Not because ninwas hungry, but it's the first proper fast I've done.... so will do the next one longer. Wasn't hard today, but as you say, the 48 hour mark will be interesting!
Well done.. it's a good idea to start with shorter fasts then build up to longer if you want to.

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another day over. It's been much better today, mostly because of the brilliant support and advice from you all. I actuall weighed myself just, haven't done that for a while as I got dispondent. For the first time in a year I am under 100kgs, that means I've actually lost 5kgs recently.

My BG scores are about the same but I'm not worrying, I aim to empty that liver. I'll be finishing Saturday morning as I work till late Friday

Now you all have several days of fasting under your belts (as it were) can I interject and ask you how you are sleeping?
And whether you find going to bed on an empty stomach affects your sleep? Your fast? Your functioning the next day?

My sleep hasn't been good, I have way too much energy. Going to bed on an empty stomach is, however, really nice.

Reactions: DJC3 and Brunneria

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another day over. It's been much better today, mostly because of the brilliant support and advice from you all. I actuall weighed myself just, haven't done that for a while as I got dispondent. For the first time in a year I am under 100kgs, that means I've actually lost 5kgs recently.

My BG scores are about the same but I'm not worrying, I aim to empty that liver. I'll be finishing Saturday morning as I work till late Friday

My sleep hasn't been good, I have way too much energy. Going to bed on an empty stomach is, however, really nice.
Way to go .. well done indeed going from 3 figures to 2 is a great feeling...

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Just watched "The Magic Pill' on netflix.... well worth a look excellent documentary

Reactions: ianpspurs