The rising of blood sugar readings in the morning.

'V'

Hi,

Please can some one help me and guide me I am a vegetarian type 2 who has observed a rise in my blood sugar readings in the morning over the last couple of months. They were normally below 7mmols and 7-8mmols. Please can you guide me how I can bring them back down again and I try to eat low GI foods and do include chick peas and butter beans for lunch and dinner and an egg for breakfast. I do eat a fair amount of fruit. Is there a vegetarian version of the atkins diet?

Look forward to your help.

Many thanks,

'V'

Grazer

By "in the morning", do you mean before breakfast or later in the morning? If before breakfast, it could be a reflection of having higher BG when you go to bed. Doing anything different their? Don't know an atkins version for veggies, sounds tricky! You can avoid the high GI veg though. Parsnips are not good, use new potatos instead of old ones, and only have them boiled, (not mashed). Generally check your veg on the GI database. Carrots I think are quite high in carbs and highish GI. But if you try to go really low carb, you need to replace them with something, so if you're avoiding meats and fat it's difficult. Nuts are good. What about dairy proiducts like eggs? can you eat them?> Loads of good nutrituion with no carbs.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Rose Elliott, the vegetarian cook and author of 'The Bean Book' among many others, has also written a Low-carb book for vegetarians. I can't remember it's exact title, but you should find it on Amazon or similar sites if you do a search of 'Rose Elliott'.

A search for 'Low-carb Vegetarian' might bring up others.

Viv 8)

'V'

By in the morning I mean before breakfast. I tend to have my main meal in the evening and it can be late because my shift finishes when the clinic finishes which can mean I have to have dinner at 20:30 at times. My lunch is usually butter beans or chick peas and salad followed by a diet yogurt and fruit. Can I make some changes there?

Many thanks for the help so far.

'V'

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't forget that your liver tends to do a glucose dump early in the morning to get you ready for an active day. This can vary a lot. I never take my BS readings in the morning for this reason. I concentrate on my readings 2 hours after my main meal normally in the evening

Fallenstar

Hi V

Sorry to hear this, it must be very frustrating for you ,especially given the fact you are obviously on a diet that does not encourage high blood sugars.
Daibell is right the liver does dump....me being a Type 1 is VERY grateful to that and it has saved me on many an occasion when I have been Hypo in my sleep.
The Dawn effect is an increase in insulin resistance Caused by hormones released around two hours before we get up, ie Cortisol. This gets us ready to get up and face the day. The Dawn effect is also influenced by Testosterone , so men, Diabetic and non Diabetic have a higher DP.

If you are going through stress at the moment this will have an effect on your morning readings (higher Cortisol) ,no matter what you are eating or what methods you use to control your Diabetes.

Working out/ exercise will also effect overall control and especially morning readings. It is a natural balance we are trying to replicate/correct when we have Diabetes and things can go out of kilter for a lot of reasons, separate from diet.

Things may/hopefully settle for you on there own with time, as it sounds like your diet is good but if not then get referred to an Endocrinologist and get checked out thoroughly instead of your GP, hopefully they will be able to help you get better control. Like I say though things may just settle on there own....keep checking and good luck.

Good luck