Visit to the GP

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I decided to go to see the GP today, for two reasons:

1. Discuss my metformin dose in the light of my recent HbA1c result (35). Presently on 2 x 500mg.

2. To find out why I'm getting dead hands most nights.

I managed to get a 6:50 evening appointment with a doctor I'd never met. It didn't bother me because I've never met most of them, not even my own GP.

When I explained my 6 months old diabetes history, he was very impressed and asked how I had achieved it. I just said I had monitored my bg levels and lowered my carb intake. He didn't bat an eyelid and said he wanted to put me on a pedestal ha ha.

We discussed the metformin and he has agreed to lower the dose to one 500mg dose per day. He has changed the type from ordinary to modified release because he said one a day is unusual. I hope they agree with me because I've been fine on the ordinary ones.

He then went on to explain that I shouldn't see my goal as being medication free as it wasn't that important. I understood that because I have read the debates about it here but I just feel I need a further challenge. He then went on to reinforce the fact that medication will be inevitable further down the line ... Progressive ...

As far as the dead hands go, because it begins on the side of my little fingers, he's ruled out carpal tunnel. He's banged my elbows, arms etc and checked out my neck. I now have a prescription for diethylamine salicylate cream and I have to massage it into my elbows 3 times a day. It's an anti inflammatory and he said to stop taking it if I get indigestion or heartburn. If there's no improvement I may have to have conduction tests (??)

The doctor also said if my bg levels began to creep to 40 or 45, I would have to go back to 2 x 500mg. (He said he's scared the nurse will tell him off!!)

His comment about the progressive nature of D has depressed me a little. I always knew it and understood but I was trying to put it to the back of my mind. I really don't want negativity to creep in to my thoughts.

Now I'm going to walk a portion of the 42.

Sorry if I've rambled.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Not a ramble and not absolutely positive it will be progressive with the good control you have. I think the goal of medication free is positive. I went from 1g met per day to nothing but that was force of the doctor because of lactic acidosis but he wasn't unhappy when he saw my BG levels. I also had numbness in my fingers when I was on met so this may be to do with too low levels but not sure. I do know it went away but so did the cramps, burning throughout my veins, stabbing pains all over my body, when the met stopped (almost over night).

Your levels may go up 0.5mmol/L but that shouldnt be an issue as you have room above 34 to accommodate that. Just keep an eye on it and add in a little extra exercise if needed.

Good luck with the new regime

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Andrew. I think I will hold off with the cream until the new dosage of metformin has had a chance. I have my suspicions that the numbness is something to do with the bg/metformin levels. I'm going to up my exercise too. I'm doing the new you in 42 challenge.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My uncle diabetic type 2 for 35 years, now 83 years old. He has never progressed on to insulin.....he has never ate processed foods... He eats small portions and never, never been anything but normal slim weight.

I beg to differ. If you really look after yourself like my uncle has.. It does not mean its progressive...

He has never, and I mean never ate chocolate, cakes, puddings, ice cream. He's always -his whole life had a fry up breakfast...(no bread or baked beans).

Obciously he was a kid in wartime and rationing and has always continued that portion controlled rationing with his food.

He retiredfrom his plumbing business at 70.

Over xmas admitted to hosp for non diabetic illness. He refused to eat nhs food. His wife prepared him food and took it in to him. They microwaved all his food for him...

He doesn't have a single diabetic complication either..

Reactions: 13 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Actually, he has actually never retired.. He still does jobs for people in his remote village...

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

1. Discuss my metformin dose in the light of my recent HbA1c result (35). Presently on 2 x 500mg.

I managed to get a 6:50 evening appointment with a doctor I'd never met. It didn't bother me because I've never met most of them, not even my own GP.

When I explained my 6 months old diabetes history, he was very impressed and asked how I had achieved it. I just said I had monitored my bg levels and lowered my carb intake. He didn't bat an eyelid and said he wanted to put me on a pedestal ha ha.

We discussed the metformin and he has agreed to lower the dose to one 500mg dose per day. He has changed the type from ordinary to modified release because he said one a day is unusual. I hope they agree with me because I've been fine on the ordinary ones.

He then went on to explain that I shouldn't see my goal as being medication free as it wasn't that important. I understood that because I have read the debates about it here but I just feel I need a further challenge. He then went on to reinforce the fact that medication will be inevitable further down the line ... Progressive ...

As far as the dead hands go, because it begins on the side of my little fingers, he's ruled out carpal tunnel. He's banged my elbows, arms etc and checked out my neck. I now have a prescription for diethylamine salicylate cream and I have to massage it into my elbows 3 times a day. It's an anti inflammatory and he said to stop taking it if I get indigestion or heartburn. If there's no improvement I may have to have conduction tests (??)

The doctor also said if my bg levels began to creep to 40 or 45, I would have to go back to 2 x 500mg. (He said he's scared the nurse will tell him off!!)

His comment about the progressive nature of D has depressed me a little. I always knew it and understood but I was trying to put it to the back of my mind. I really don't want negativity to creep in to my thoughts.

Sorry if I've rambled.

Well done peacetrain, on both the reduction in your blood scores, and medication.

I am evangelically med-free. I was, and still am, not to take medication, because I don't think I would try as hard if I did. It may not be logical, but I know myself.

Reactions: 3 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone. Perhaps I'm over reacting but it's just knocked me sideways. I feel more down today than I did when I got the diagnosis. I'll be fine in a couple of days.

I heard on the news that diabetes is one of the conditions AstraZeneca are researching ... We live in hope ...

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What has knocked you peacetrain? Your doc's "progressive" comment?

I conclude that many of our health car professionals have extremely low aspirations for we T2s. I can't comment for T1s as I haven't any personal experience. My take is that they routinely see a significant proportion of individuals who follow their advice, and can't achieve the sort of control many of us have achieved. And that'll be those who actually do something. I can't recall the stats, but I believe a significant proportion of T2s make no lifestyle changes when diagnosed. On those basis, it can be easy to see how expectations fall short of our higher than normal standards.

Of course, I may be doing our medics and fellow diabetics an extreme disservice. But, it's the only conclusion I can (un)comfortably reach.

Personally, I'll be doing all I can to control this flippin' thing. I have it on a tight leash, and I'm watching it like a hawk. I can do scary.

Chin up.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's also the fact that the "official" advice on diet handed out to eat carbs, carbs and more carbs is almost a guarantee that the disease will continue to progress. I'm sure these HCP's firmly believe the party line that they trot out - simply because they meet so few people like you who actually take charge and change their lifestyle. So, pat yourself on the back and use the "progressive" label as even more motivation to keep on doing what is working for you (and many more of us here).

Reactions: 2 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
I love your granddad :happy:
I also agree with the fact they see so many who don't do anything all they have to go on is the evidence from there. I do think they could think laterally well they are doing something and add a but into all conversations it would be a lot more positive.

Reactions: 2 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What has knocked you peacetrain? Your doc's "progressive" comment?

I conclude that many of our health car professionals have extremely low aspirations for we T2s. I can't comment for T1s as I haven't any personal experience. My take is that they routinely see a significant proportion of individuals who follow their advice, and can't achieve the sort of control many of us have achieved. And that'll be those who actually do something. I can't recall the stats, but I believe a significant proportion of T2s make no lifestyle changes when diagnosed. On those basis, it can be easy to see how expectations fall short of our higher than normal standards.

Of course, I may be doing our medics and fellow diabetics an extreme disservice. But, it's the only conclusion I can (un)comfortably reach.

Personally, I'll be doing all I can to control this flippin' thing. I have it on a tight leash, and I'm watching it like a hawk. I can do scary.

Chin up.

You are doing a great job, pulverising your diabetes and it's a good motivator for everyone here.

The doctor must just have caught me on a low. I already knew everything he said but I've put it to the back of my mind and got on with attacking the problem of high bg. I'll be fine in a while. Having diabetes is a bit like being on a hamster wheel. You have to keep doing the thins that work and there's nowhere to park up and have a break.
When I received my diagnosis in November I didn't get down I got on my white charger and rode into battle! I have been so focused I haven't let myself stop to think negatively. It has given me a reason to start looking after myself instead of others. It has been a blessing in disguise.
Having achieved my goal and then visiting the doctor and hearing his words... It made me realise I haven't "arrived" anywhere, I've made a detour and still have lots of hills and valleys to negotiate.
As you know, it's damned hard work and I guess I'm just hitting a wall at the moment. It hasn't made me slide though. People at work think I'm obsessed although they admire what I've achieved. Some have relatives with diabetes and they now realise their loved ones are not addressing their health correctly.
Thank you for the pep talk, it helps to speak to people who understand.

Reactions: 10 people

mpe

There's also the fact that the "official" advice on diet handed out to eat carbs, carbs and more carbs is almost a guarantee that the disease will continue to progress.

The "Eatwell Plate" is very specifically high glucose Due to its encouraging to eat "starchy foods" are discouraging of "sugar". It's probably about the worst possible diet for diabetics. A "high carb" diet which was mostly "sugar" could easily be far less harmful.

I'm sure these HCP's firmly believe the party line that they trot out - simply because they meet so few people like you who actually take charge and change their lifestyle.

If someone were already following something similar to the "healthy diet" they might not change things much. Possibly whatever changes they'd make would actually make things worst. Since they'd be doing things like less butter rather than less bread.

SueKen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hi Peacetrain,
I don't post here that often, but just wanted to say how much your reaction to your doctors reinforcement of the "inevitable decline" message was just like mine. I'm sure they think they are doing their best, to avoid a crushing disappointment for those for whom it becomes true, but it was one of the most depressing things I had heard from a HCP since I was diagnosed (I heard this from our local hospital diabetic consultant at a DUK information day). I got really upset at the time, but was then more resolved than ever to try to prove them wrong!
Perhaps if enough of us manage to keep our HbA1c down, they might eventually have to change their stats.
Keep up the good work - sounds like you are doing great.
Sue

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You know, I think my diabetes may be an inevitable decline.

I've been declining for years...

Slim and problem free (age 3)
Hypoglycaemic (at 4)
Started low carbing (more off than on! At 25ish)
Pre diabetic (30ish and lowish carbing consistentlyish) no meds
Diabetic (47 now, low carb with ketosis flirtations...) no meds

At this rate, I may start medicating in a decade or two...

May work my way slowly through the ever increasing range of meds for the 2040s to 2070s...

Maybe hit insulin after I crack the century?

Of course, by then, there will either be a cure, or treatment will be invisible, automatic, and needle free.

;)

It may be 'inevitable' but I'm sure gonna FIGHT.

Anyway, before you hire the funeral directors, google the 5% club (that's the HbA1c 5% club)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hi Peacetrain,
I don't post here that often, but just wanted to say how much your reaction to your doctors reinforcement of the "inevitable decline" message was just like mine. I'm sure they think they are doing their best, to avoid a crushing disappointment for those for whom it becomes true, but it was one of the most depressing things I had heard from a HCP since I was diagnosed (I heard this from our local hospital diabetic consultant at a DUK information day). I got really upset at the time, but was then more resolved than ever to try to prove them wrong!
Perhaps if enough of us manage to keep our HbA1c down, they might eventually have to change their stats.
Keep up the good work - sounds like you are doing great.
Sue
Thanks for your support. So grateful.

phyden

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold callings

Sorry if I've rambled.

Well I am now 83 and I have never had a health check in the last five years. Ok I get reminders but
Well when I have asked I am told they do them yearly close to ones birthday, So I thought last year I would put mine in when I ordered my monthly tabs. Well it was a waste of time as I was told I should have put my check in one month before so in fact I never had one.
Mind you a Friend of mine did get one. They put him on the scales. Took a urine sample and checked his BP and said it had nothing to worry about, he complained about blurred vision. Yes he has now T2.
As for me well After been told in Jan this year I have the dreaded problem the Doc told me to loose weight and take the Tablets I then have to wait till May to see him again. Ok I went to Desmonds, then Had my eyes photogphed They are OK
I went back to the Docs and asked what my blood sugar is, he looked on his computer and said 45
Then informed me I now have “ Chronic Kidney Disease”. Well at lease I have a Appointment for the Renal Dept at the Hospital on the 17 June. May be I will get a full check up.
How funny how you get these letters and they tend tp threaten you if you do not attend they will remove you from the waiting lists, My god it is not us that do not attend but our so called pill pusher Doctors who do not want to do the checks to start with.
Phyden

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry for your troubles Hyden and thank you for taking the trouble to read my post and respond.

When I commented about feeling guilty for costing money the doctor brushed it of and said it cost pennies to make millions.

Strange encounter for me that day.

phyden

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold callings
Sorry for your troubles Hyden and thank you for taking the trouble to read my post and respond.

When I commented about feeling guilty for costing money the doctor brushed it of and said it cost pennies to make millions.

Strange encounter for me that day.

Why feel guilty about the cost, I bet the Doc never feels that way when he gets his 50,000 a year. mine suggestet I should go to the gym each week, well as I am 83 and live on a low pension I wonder where he thinks I can get the money for such things?
A big chunk on my income went on a Taxi as I was told not to drive after having the drops in my eyes, Ok it only cost one way as I do have a bus pass
but well 13 pound is a lot. anyone would think we got our meds for nothing, I have worked all my life done two years Natonal service
always payed my taxes and health, I never had a days dole money and in 1982 I got made redundant I did not bother to sign on I went and started to work for my self yes I did window cleaning and progress to becoming a Lanscape gardener.

So why us poor sods with all our allments worry that it cost a few pounds to keep us going am not sure as well when you here this mornings remarks about sacking 8000 guys from the army and then paying others to be trained as part time guys then yes they want 11000 new one but only have got 176, at present, they are offering 7000 a year, So why should we worry, after all we are been told we need to look after ourselves
no carer, I have no Nurse and only see the Doctor as he suggested once evey three months.
No my friend do not worry about what your few tablets cost.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why feel guilty about the cost, I bet the Doc never feels that way when he gets his 50,000 a year. mine suggestet I should go to the gym each week, well as I am 83 and live on a low pension I wonder where he thinks I can get the money for such things?
A big chunk on my income went on a Taxi as I was told not to drive after having the drops in my eyes, Ok it only cost one way as I do have a bus pass
but well 13 pound is a lot. anyone would think we got our meds for nothing, I have worked all my life done two years Natonal service
always payed my taxes and health, I never had a days dole money and in 1982 I got made redundant I did not bother to sign on I went and started to work for my self yes I did window cleaning and progress to becoming a Lanscape gardener.

So why us poor sods with all our allments worry that it cost a few pounds to keep us going am not sure as well when you here this mornings remarks about sacking 8000 guys from the army and then paying others to be trained as part time guys then yes they want 11000 new one but only have got 176, at present, they are offering 7000 a year, So why should we worry, after all we are been told we need to look after ourselves
no carer, I have no Nurse and only see the Doctor as he suggested once evey three months.
No my friend do not worry about what your few tablets cost.
You're very kind. Thank you. My uncle is 81 and goes to the hospital ten miles away, every two weeks, for a blood transfusion. He can drive but is no longer allowed so he is taken. There is a special ambulance - non emergency, and holds a few patients. Is there nothing like this in your area? Or sometimes there are volunteer drivers.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
l have a friend undergoing chemo she is a pensioner and husband disabled.
They refuse to send the collection ....not worth it for 1 person!!!
so 2x a week she has 4x bus trips to hospital for chemo they wanted 3x week she said no way feels ill enough on 2