What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers @Goonergal .

Kind of how I see it and similar goals.

Think I have the idea that the pancreas has worked hard the last few years pumping away, I figure less to do gives it a rest.
Hence the Omad, idea .

But if I'm honest, I do feel a little ropey, ( not hungry mind, ) if I go too long without food

I'm taking that as a sign, my bodies kicking off about it, and I hope getting retrained to scavenge for food within my system .
Hi how about having two or three smaller meals ie incorporate your snacks into your food plan as long as you carb count the total and also squeeze them up as much as you can time wise to give your body a break? Where possible I only eat within as short a window as possible. Several people I gather seem to find it easier to delay eating in am then have a brunch and early dinner. However it really is all about what works for you. When I first started I did strict OMAD for a whole month with not even cream just water, black tea and black coffee but had a lot of fat to lose so didn’t feel hungry. I got my ketones up and became fat adapted quite quickly. Now I feel hungry and have no weight to lose I find that my mainly three small meals works for me. I also still monitor my ketones weekly and they are still motoring along for me at a lower level despite increasing amount of carbs a little bit. So this may change over time for you depending if you’ve weightto lose or not! Good luck hope you work it out.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ginuary! I love it.

Glad you like the gin, I'm always a bit worried when I recommend a recipe just in case others think it's awful!

Apparently, there is now something called Veganuary:rolleyes: I prefer your description.

Veganuary isn't going to be happening in my world any time soon.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all. Can’t believe the weekend is almost over.

Well, another OMAD day. Absolutely ages since I’ve been able to do that so regularly.

Dinner was lamb shank. First time ever cooking one - eaten many in restaurants but never prepared one myself. Used some left over fat from yesterday’s short rib for the initial cooking at a high temperature and then added butter, salt, a little garlic and some sprigs of rosemary before slow cooking. The butter/fat mixture turned into a delicious sauce to pour over the top. Still peckish so had half a bag of pork crunch and 45g extra thick Jersey cream.

Lots of tea with cream too - went for a coffee with a few of my walking football team mates after today’s session and had 2 pots of tea and 2 of Costa’s little pots of cream. Enjoying another one now.
I do shanks the same way - high temperature seal and sear and then slow cook. Tom Kerridge has a wonderful recipe for lamb shank madras. His is oven cooked but I did ours in the slow cooker. It is a seriously good curry.

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/lamb-shank-madras

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. I will just try a few...I miss my beans so I'd settle for 5 haha. And to think just before Christmas I was eating a whole 400gram tin on white toast!!!! It's a whole new learning curve.
It was white toast that alerted me to the fact something was wrong although I thought I was coeliac not diabetic. I was shocked to discover how much sugar was in white bread.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I must have a go at making LC cocoa - I've got all the ingredients.

Todays menu is

Breakfast: Bulletproof coffee

Lunch: Little chunk of cheese

Dinner: two trout fillets fried in butter with a squeeze of lemon with mini stirfry of broccoli, asparagus, red pepper and courgette (I will have about 160g)

Drinks: Morning: couple of huge mugs of black decaff coffee, Afternoon: Asda apple pie and custard tea, Evening: still water
How did you do with the Apple pie? I still can't touch pastry although I've tried for ages to work out a substitute but all failed so far.

Reactions: zauberflote

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today has been a day disrupted by my diabetes annual check at the hospital, so
Breakfast - a low carb brownie and a coffee with lactofree cream
Lunch - nothing
Mid afternoon - a celebratory pit stop at my local curry house where a cheeky meat samosa & some rather nice lamb kebabs with a salad and a delightful combo of chill & mint sauces were consumed
Dinner - Im stuffed so probably nothing
The scores on the doors from my review led the consultant to declare that I was probably their healthiest patient. He did look a little perplexed when I told him what I eat and that 1/2 a portion of rice would happily raise my sugars into significant double figures.
Hba1c 43 ( up a tad on last year when they halved my meds ), cholesterol - total 5.6, Hdl 1.8 ratio 3.1 everything else in the normal / ideal range
Great results @Boo1979 - well done.

Reactions: zauberflote

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Woo hoo, I realised today that my carb hunger has finally faded and I no longer feel ravenously hungry all the time. Yessssss (with fist air punch). :D

Today:

Breakfast: Bulletproof Coffee

Lunch: Forgot

Dinner: Ham joint cooked in diet ginger beer, celeriac, swede and Brussels sprouts bubble and squeak and pickles

Drinks: Breakfast to Lunch: black decaff coffee or water, Lunch to dinner: still water or Sainsbury cocoa and coconut rooibos infusion (tastes like Bounty Bar a bit). After dinner: plain water

I can't eat baked beans :arghh: I wish I could cos I used to really love them and regularly bought four or more cans a week. But I've found I am rubbish at having tiny amounts of things that I love and find it easier to just not eat them at all. :(:sour:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all. Today’s menu as follows:
Brunch -after 2 mile walk to hospital for HbA1c blood test was a cheese omelette and coffee&cream
Dinner- Mr Cs birthday choice of Beef Wellington ( I took the pastry off my portion and swerved the gravy) with buttered greens ( found in fridge, but daughter told me later they were for the guinea pig!) green beans and roast celeriac. Glass of preprandial Champagne and glass of Chateauneuf du Pape with it. Very happy with how it turned out, so was Mr C happily. View attachment 30487
Was always one of my favourites to make and I'd spend ages decorating the pastry. I made puff pastry once (Just to prove to myself I could) but I'm wondering now if that labour intensive method would work with Almond flour to produce a flaky pastry since its the fatty layers that produce the rise? Maybe one for half term holidays.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@maglil55 It's a fruit tea - Asda has got a range of weird but nice ones... rhubarb and custard, chocolate orange, apple pie and custard, lemon meringue. I've tried them all - threw away the chocolate orange variety as really disgusting. The lemon meringue is my favourite at the moment - how they get the meringue flavour in it without adding sugar is a mystery....

The Sainsbury cocoa and coconut one I'm having today is quite nice - like a weak bounty bar flavour.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, that’s excellent, I was wondering how to add a decent amount of coffee flavour without making it too runny.
I find making it with Sainsbury's full fat coconut milk gives you such a solid Chia pudding that any flavouring doesn't make it runny. I use 3,5 tablespoons Chia to 1 can coconut milk. I've tried other brands but Sainsburys full fat (own brand) is the only one that produces the solid Chia. I stock up with cans any time I'm in as they have a bad habit with deliveries of sending the low fat one and it doesn't work.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Was always one of my favourites to make and I'd spend ages decorating the pastry. I made puff pastry once (Just to prove to myself I could) but I'm wondering now if that labour intensive method would work with Almond flour to produce a flaky pastry since its the fatty layers that produce the rise? Maybe one for half term holidays.

Could you let me know how you get in with it if you do decide to make it. Mr. C has been after me to make him his favourite York slice and I did think about the possibility of making it with a fat head type dough but can't work out how to keep the pastry supple enough to create the layers. I did try but found the dough cracks at low temperatures and the butter between the layers melts if I kept the dough warm enough to keep pliable ..... :banghead:

Reactions: ziggy_w

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ginuary! I love it.

Glad you like the gin, I'm always a bit worried when I recommend a recipe just in case others think it's awful!

Apparently, there is now something called Veganuary:rolleyes: I prefer your description.
Yes - I saw that too and I see M&S have jumped on the bandwagon with a vegan range. Had a look but still too carby for me.

Reactions: jjraak and Tori71

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great, I'l give it a go.

Not allowed in Lakeland as I try to buy the entire shop;)
Reminds me of one of my many trips to Dobbies (which Hubby always comes to as it is plant buying) and Hubby's horror when he saw Lakeland had opened there. One of the assistants in Lakeland asked why he looked so glum and he said it was his worst nightmare - my two favourite places in one place!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 It's a fruit tea - Asda has got a range of weird but nice ones... rhubarb and custard, chocolate orange, apple pie and custard, lemon meringue. I've tried them all - threw away the chocolate orange variety as really disgusting. The lemon meringue is my favourite at the moment - how they get the meringue flavour in it without adding sugar is a mystery....

The Sainsbury cocoa and coconut one I'm having today is quite nice - like a weak bounty bar flavour.
Ahhh. I thought you were managing to tolerate real apple pie.

P.S. how's Jack doing?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could you let me know how you get in with it if you do decide to make it. Mr. C has been after me to make him his favourite York slice and I did think about the possibility of making it with a fat head type dough but can't work out how to keep the pastry supple enough to create the layers. I did try but found the dough cracks at low temperatures and the butter between the layers melts if I kept the dough warm enough to keep pliable ..... :banghead:
Will do - 5 weeks to half term.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Didn't post yesterday as still adjusting to being back on the school run. Bed Sunday 6.1 FBG 6.3. Meal on the Sunday was as I said but also had an Americano as they do the pots of cream too and a LC Bailey's when I got home. Lovely meal though. Anyway, yesterday
B. 2 scrambled eggs and a Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing - did the school run, back to Aqua fit straight after the eggs and had a nap when I got home before going to get the boys from school.
D. Lo dough pizza and 1/2 avocado. Scoop of halo top and raspberries.
My arms are feeling the effect of the aqua weights - 3 weeks off are not good.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ahhh. I thought you were managing to tolerate real apple pie.

P.S. how's Jack doing?

I wish...

Jack is maturing. He's still idiotic at times but I think he actually might be the brightest one of the three. Unfortunately he's turned very protective and doesn't get on with anyone who isn't family any more. :banghead:

Reactions: maglil55