What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 hopeyou have had a great evening...food looked amazing.
@Tori71 your poor mum...funny but not!
We enjoyed our chicken and mushroom stir fry and the sauce from Waitrose was Coconut and Lemongrass (on offer at the mo think it would freeze) was 5g/100g and was. really delicious. Hoping the after results will be good. My nemesis is always eating at 8pm when OH gets home.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Mocha pudding sounds lovely @BibaBee . Is it the same Chai pudding in the recipe booklet from this thread do you know?
It's my own hybrid of lots of different recipes to be honest. I don't like chia pudding if it's too runny and frogspawn like. I use 180g of Total Greek yoghurt, a couple of tablespoons of cream and 4 tablespoons of almond milk to loosen. I use this as a base then sweeten and flavour as the mood takes me. Sometimes I add almond butter, but not always. Sometimes there are a few berries. This makes two good servings and the texture is more solid and mousse like. It's our breakfast staple and it's fun getting creative with the flavours.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's my own hybrid of lots of different recipes to be honest. I don't like chia pudding if it's too runny and frogspawn like. I use 180g of Total Greek yoghurt, a couple of tablespoons of cream and 4 tablespoons of almond milk to loosen. I use this as a base then sweeten and flavour as the mood takes me. Sometimes I add almond butter, but not always. Sometimes there are a few berries. This makes two good servings and the texture is more solid and mousse like. It's our breakfast staple and it's fun getting creative with the flavours.
Forgot to mention......40g of chia seed!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Bit late posting today.

Two meals today. Lunch was M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos.

Dinner was bunless bacon cheeseburger at Five Guys with a smidgeon of mayonnaise.

Slightly peckish when I got home so had 45g of extra thick Jersey cream.

@shelley262 hope you feel better soon and @DJC3 good luck with the test results.

Last edited:

Kingmidas

Yesterday - felt pretty grotty all day. Daughter had a tummy virus but I'm not sure if it was that or general run-down-ness from mums death/funeral/aftermath etc.

So all I had was 1 piece of wholemeal toast and peanut butter for late breakfast and 2 giant pigs in blankets for tea!

Today - felt slightly better but not 100%
Breakfast - 1 piece toast and peanut butter, tea.

Atkins coconut bar mid morning while rushing around sorting out bank accounts ...

Lunch - yellow pepper, celery, chunky ham pieces, walnuts, rollitos and salsa

Dinner - feeling a bit hungry by now and daughter cooks a killer chilli from scratch (so we all know what's in it!) so had a bowlful of that with garlic lo-dough. Bowl of frozen cherries after (new addiction)
IMG_20190107_193902_132%20(1).jpg
IMG_20190107_213022_882.jpg

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oooooer, @Tori71 - this evening I had a small measure of the plum gin I made a few weeks ago, after your posting. It's delicious, and the loveliest shade of pink, almost like rosewine.

On a complete aside; today, reading on Facebook, I noticed someone comment they certainly weren't doing dry January, but instead would be doing Ginuary. I sort of liked that.

As I always do, on a first "brew", my batch of Plum Gin was around 250ml, so it won't last forever, but it's definitely on the keeper list.

Oh, and my "proper food" was quite uninspird today, as I had lots of "jobs" to get done.

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Way to go @Tori71 !!!!!!
I laughed out loud @DJC3 , you thieving food from poor defenseless guinea piggies!!!!! Hope your a1c results are stellar
Gotta post or can’t turn the page

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: 2 x Gouda and chorizo rollitos and a Babybel with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: lemon chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: spag bog with courgetti in place of spaghetti followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
@BibaBee what do you use to flavour your chia pudding when you make it mocha flavoured please?

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: 2 x Gouda and chorizo rollitos and a Babybel with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: lemon chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: spag bog with courgetti in place of spaghetti followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
@BibaBee what do you use to flavour your chia pudding when you make it mocha flavoured please?
I used this: https://www.lakeland.co.uk/15602/Ni...4064!&ef_id=XDPb5AAABMJxARTS:20190107230820:s

But instant espresso powder works well too and is cheaper. I add cocoa for the chocolate flavour.

Reactions: ziggy_w

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quite sunny here. I have had snow drops since before Christmas and there are daffodils in my orchard area.

Inside our walled garden, we still have Gazania and Geraniums growing nicely - still in their terracota pots. Outside the walled garden, but in a secluded spot, we have rhubarb growing, although not much ofit, and I take it back to protect the crown at this stage.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Late post this evening - just walked in the door.
Breakfast - cup of tea and my usual protein peanut & chocolate bar
Lunch - 2 cappuccinos
Dinner - was at a friends who were all having chippy so had a tray of donner meat with salad and mayo. Was quite late eating (9pm) so expecting an above 5 fbg

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
poor attendance here..sorry.
"must do better., must do better, must do better "

Quick question..OMAD.

is it cheating if i have a small snack or two ?

sundays
Had brazil nuts 2, 5 pecan nuts and a cream coffee.
skipped food the rest of the day.apart from a nibble of some biltong..( lidl maygu...lovely.)

tea was 2 quarter pound beefburgers, sliced tom, onion, egg...each burger on a 1/4 of those lidl low GI rolls (sliced one roll into four)
scores good..and then spoiled it when daughter came home
(waited up cos " got no key dad " :grumpy:)
by a few blueberries and splosh of double cream.
fbg sunday morning were good

this morning scores.."STELLAR|" by my standards 2nd day in a row i woke in the 5's.

today the same foodwise, little snacks, a food shop run, some shelves up in kitchen.."ooh..nice"..made it worth it

tea was 4 small lamb chops grilled, tesco mix of cabbage/broccoli n runner beans / tesco broccoli in cheese..(nice)
a small bowl of blueberries 15, a splosh of the double cream.
pre 6.0 / 2hrs 6.6..win.

must say, the foods laid out by you guys does look great, the wonder is how on earth do any of us lose weight...:wideyed:

Night all,
best wishes for a good night and a great day tomorrow.

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Bfast ho hum 1/2 avocado, boiled egg, 3 tbsp pine nuts YUM!!!, decaf/soy/half n half. Switched to cream later.
Lunch some ragged celery stalks; note to self Do Not stock up on these!, 5 cherry tomatoes, chunk swiss cheese, a piece of my bread with butter.
Afternoon decaf/soy/cream
Supper
THE ONE WITH ALMOND BUTTER
IMG_7256.jpg
with yogurt before test ballet class. Ate too much; should have portioned it out, dummy!
THE ONE WITH PLAIN BUTTER a piece of my bread with butter at 9:00 for meds, and I ought to go for a walk to help salvage BG tomorrow but dang I’m worn out! Nearly age 67 after 30+ years off is a shock to the body when you try to do all these things your head knows how to do. And it was an intro class! Maybe if I walk to the bottom of the street and back... quarter mile total,,,, take me down a tiny percentage tomorrow AM?
Later will be the nightly few-to-several spoons yogurt.
Sleep well all!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quick question..OMAD.

is it cheating if i have a small snack or two ?

Hi @jjraak

Hope this answer isn’t going to be too serious for this time in the morning! I don’t like the term ‘cheating’ - doesn’t quite sit right for me as I think the important thing in all this is finding out what works for you. You set the rules as far as I’m concerned.

For me the question is more about what you’re trying to achieve with OMAD or any other way of eating you’re following or experimenting with. For me it’s very much about maximising the benefits of a very narrow eating window to improve insulin sensitivity and drive down BG levels. Weight loss too, but more the sugars. So a couple of snacks may or may not impact on your goals - just need to test, observe and see. And as a general rule, if you’re hungry (and for me learning to judge what is real hunger was very important) then eat, but ideally eat enough at meal times to get you through your day.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheers @Goonergal .

Kind of how I see it and similar goals.

Think I have the idea that the pancreas has worked hard the last few years pumping away, I figure less to do gives it a rest.
Hence the Omad, idea .

But if I'm honest, I do feel a little ropey, ( not hungry mind, ) if I go too long without food

I'm taking that as a sign, my bodies kicking off about it, and I hope getting retrained to scavenge for food within my system .

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oooooer, @Tori71 - this evening I had a small measure of the plum gin I made a few weeks ago, after your posting. It's delicious, and the loveliest shade of pink, almost like rosewine.

On a complete aside; today, reading on Facebook, I noticed someone comment they certainly weren't doing dry January, but instead would be doing Ginuary. I sort of liked that.

As I always do, on a first "brew", my batch of Plum Gin was around 250ml, so it won't last forever, but it's definitely on the keeper list.

Oh, and my "proper food" was quite uninspird today, as I had lots of "jobs" to get done.
Ginuary! I love it.

Glad you like the gin, I'm always a bit worried when I recommend a recipe just in case others think it's awful!

Apparently, there is now something called Veganuary:rolleyes: I prefer your description.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all. Somehow didn't get around to posting yesterday.

@shelley262 and @Kingmidas -- Hope you both feel better soon.
@DJC3 -- I'm convinced you'll do great on your HbA1c. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
@zauberflote -- You've gone and done it now -- reminded me of cornbread! Oh, I miss it so and unfortunately I don't think there is any way to make a low-carb version of it.
@Tori71 -- The story about your mom is really funny and tbh also scary. I don't think I've ever seen a storm this strong. Hope you don't get blown away.

Yesterday's menu ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. A serving of the quiche that I prepared the day before yesterday. A bit of some oxtail-pumpkin-Brussels sprout soup, couldn't really finish this though.

Lunch: Nothing.

Late afternoon snack: Three squares of 95% chocolate.

Dinner: Roasted vegetables (mushrooms, bellpepper, eggplant, zucchini with olive oil), half a serving of Greek yoghurt, one filet of lamb and two tablespoons of lupin bean hummus. A coconut bite and a glass of red wine.