What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i had my appointment with the DN today. Yet another new one - I've never seen the same one twice. Got the results of my Hba1c - 31 - and all the other results were equally confusingly good. While its lovely to have some one give praise, i would have been far more enthusiastic if I thought I deserved it. Oh well.....

Anyway, today...

Breakfast: bacon and eggs, black coffee

Lunch: Black coffee

Dinner: Half of an M&S rack of lamb with a garlic and rosemary crust (reduced from £10 to £3!!!!!) with asparagus and broccoli drizzled with melted butter.

Pudding: One square of 85% and four strawberries with extra thick cream

Glass of celebratory red wine

BTW, those that are addicted to almond butter..... my local Aldi have got it on offer for £1.99.
Brilliant result with the BGs.

Reactions: zauberflote

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Slept very late, wonnnderful. Deleted all but last 3 months data from my BG app - whaddya know, suddenly my estimated HbA1c is normal! I have 5 more weeks for a cushion before next labs. Been seeing happy numbers for BGs
Bfast 1/2 avocado, boiled egg , some pine nuts, coffee w cream, soy milk, and half-n-half.
Emotional emergency at Mom’s place. Packed lunch: lc tortilla with lots of peanut butter, 4 tall celery, chunk swiss cheese. Partially resolve problem.
Went to Target where at checkout I found,, Lindt 90%!!! I bought 4 bars.
Supper 3 cups spinach/kale wilted with mucho olive oil, an egg+egg white and 4 tbsp parmegiano reggiano. . Was full but wanted more fiber. Small (1/32 of 8x8 pan) piece of my bread, neat.
Had to make brownies after that! Kept a sixth of a square of 78% chocolate in my mouth while baking. 6/6=1!
Snacks of small handful mixed nuts and a couple mouthfuls of half-n-half ( no cream in store for over a week! Hubby found some today and bought two quarts, clever man.) Will eat some full fat yogurt very soon.
So many good things happening for people! I am happy for that!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it,s my first day on my low carb journey & I set a starting goal of 100g of carbs max! I’ve ended on around 94. I’d usually be over double this!

Welcome to the thread @TrendyD looking forward to seeing your menus. Sure you’ll get some great ideas for low carb eating on here as well as the support and motivation to keep going.

Reactions: zauberflote

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all.

Welcome to the thread, @TrendyD.
Your menus look delicious like always, @maglil55. I'm drooling.
Good luck with your next HbA1c test, @zauberflote. Great that your blood sugars are normal now.

Have upped my exercise from half an hour to one hour a day, definitely makes a difference to my blood sugars, averages have dropped by about 0.3 mmol and the rises after meals have been lower. I wonder though whether I can maintain this once work gets busier again?

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: A tiny bit of leftover lamb filet, a large slice of egg liqueur cake (blood sugars stayed flat after this and even dropped at one hour).

Very late dinner: Lamb's lettuce with a homemade low-carb lime-mustard-orange oil dressing and feta cheese. A rather too large serving of crustless quiche fresh from the oven (made with Hokkaido pumpkin, onions, beef salami, sage, camenbert and a batter of eggs, cream, cream cheese, ground caraway seeds, ground cumin, ground cinnamon, and a half a teaspoon of red curry paste.)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Slept very late, wonnnderful. Deleted all but last 3 months data from my BG app - whaddya know, suddenly my estimated HbA1c is normal! I have 5 more weeks for a cushion before next labs. Been seeing happy numbers for BGs
Bfast 1/2 avocado, boiled egg , some pine nuts, coffee w cream, soy milk, and half-n-half.
Emotional emergency at Mom’s place. Packed lunch: lc tortilla with lots of peanut butter, 4 tall celery, chunk swiss cheese. Partially resolve problem.
Went to Target where at checkout I found,, Lindt 90%!!! I bought 4 bars.
Supper 3 cups spinach/kale wilted with mucho olive oil, an egg+egg white and 4 tbsp parmegiano reggiano. . Was full but wanted more fiber. Small (1/32 of 8x8 pan) piece of my bread, neat.
Had to make brownies after that! Kept a sixth of a square of 78% chocolate in my mouth while baking. 6/6=1!
Snacks of small handful mixed nuts and a couple mouthfuls of half-n-half ( no cream in store for over a week! Hubby found some today and bought two quarts, clever man.) Will eat some full fat yogurt very soon.
So many good things happening for people! I am happy for that!
Great that your numbers are improving for you well done.
Love the expression emotional emergency - could fit many of the things I deal with too! Take care

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Goonergal thanks
@ziggy_w I keep reminding myself that this is just the app’s numbers, based solely on my data input points, from a meter that is legally allowed to be 20% off in either direction.....that’s really great about your exercise! I find exactly the same, and since things are quiet at work for a few months, I aim to add in core work and weights. And ballet classes for the first time in 30+ years if my creaky body will let me! Your quiche sounds SCRUMPTIOUS!!!!
Hugs @shelley262 and thanks! Dementia is challenging....
Edit for hilarious typo

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Goonergal thanks
@ziggy_w I keep reminding myself that this is just the app’s numbers, based solely on my data input points, from a meter that is legally allowed to be 20% off in either direction.....that’s really great about your exercise! I find exactly the same, and since things are quiet at work for a few months, I aim to add in core work and weights. And ballet classes for the first time in 30+ years if my creaky body will let me! Your quiche sounds SCRUMPTIOUS!!!!
Hugs @shelley262 and thanks! Dementia is challenging....
Edit for hilarious typo
My Father in law was diagnosed last year and you are never quite sure what he will be like from one day to the next. During an assessment he said he couldn't remember the English words but could tell her in French?? Then proceeded to read, write and speak in French and to top it translate into English. He'd been based in France during the war and had learned the language then but never used it in 70 plus years. Other times he reckons he's in his 50's and needs to think about stopping work.
Another friend of mine who lost his mother to dementia said it's important to remember to laugh as well as cry and he's right. The funniest thing I heard was because you are never sure whether they know you or not. Another friend got down , smiled broadly and asked "Do you know who I am?" and got the response "No dear, but if you ask Matron I'm sure she can help".

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Much better at bed 6.9 FBG 6.1. Last day of the holidays and back to the school run tomorrow. For the last day of the holidays we are taking son, DIL and the 2 boys to The local Argentinean Steakhouse for an early dinner (school tomorrow). Don't know what I'll eat yet but it will involve meat! It's the easiest place to adapt to our eating habits and they are great at substituting veg/salad for any 'removals'.
B. Another breakfast bacon/egg muffin. Must make more. I'd forgotten how tasty they are. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Will be nothing.
D. Will skip any alcohol and take the car. Good chance I'll have their aubergine starter. Bit like parmigana but not as tomatoish (if there is such a word). Odds on I'll have a rib eye with Diane sauce, spinach and either salad or green veg. Of course it will be thrown into total disarray if they still have the festive dishes which involved scallops and lobster.
Boys are enjoying their last few hours of freedom. Dad got them Nerf guns complete with tactical vest and safety goggles so a lot of hilarity ensues.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

Seems like ages since I posted. :D
All a bit of a blur, really...

No breakfasts.
Usually one light meal (lump of cheese or prawns in avo mayo, or chick livers)
And one larger meal (DDchickenfetapesto, belly pork and crackling)

The gentle consumption of Xmas choccies continue :D

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Think we're about done here really so I'll post now
Breakfast: Dockey: Tea
Lunch: Beef (that's what the receipt said); marmite sprouts; cauliflower; gravy - little bit of yorkshire; fortunately it was crisp and I really don’t like crisp yorkshire; 89 YO MIL liked it all so that’s OK
Afternoon: Tea MIL and Julie will have cake
Evening meal: Cocoa and NFL
Hope y'all had good days

Last edited:

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a bit of a lurker on here truth be told....perhaps I should start posting!? Just feels a bit weird as I'm not T2, but my husband is. We eat mostly the same stuff and I'm the cook. Anyway, I know there are some foodies on here, so just wanted to check if any of you are interested in this thread?

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/ottolenghi-simple.160009/

Happy to do a bit of a cook-along, if anyone has the book and is up for it. :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Another dull day but too warm to have the fire alight.

Breakfast: Bacon and eggs

Lunch/snack: Tiny wedge of brie (about 1.5 ounces)

Dinner: Roast beef (lots) and 80g each of cauliflower and sprouts, a taste of the carrots (i love and miss carrots), xanthan thickened meat juices as gravy

Pudding: One square 85% and (possibly) one of my little low carb cheesy scones, buttered

Drinks: Black decaff coffee until lunchtime, Asda rhubarb and custard tea or water until dinner then glass of wine with dinner and another one this evening.

I meant to say the other day... at my annual review with the DN she asked lots of questions about my low carb WOE. After going through my version of it with her I asked if there were any other low carbers locally and she said no, but that she always recommends it. Surprise!! At my previous review I was told that my Dr's surgery do not support or recommend it and i was told that my brain wouldn't work without carbs (what a stupid thing to tell someone who was been VLC for three years.)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Can’t believe the weekend is almost over.

Well, another OMAD day. Absolutely ages since I’ve been able to do that so regularly.

Dinner was lamb shank. First time ever cooking one - eaten many in restaurants but never prepared one myself. Used some left over fat from yesterday’s short rib for the initial cooking at a high temperature and then added butter, salt, a little garlic and some sprigs of rosemary before slow cooking. The butter/fat mixture turned into a delicious sauce to pour over the top. Still peckish so had half a bag of pork crunch and 45g extra thick Jersey cream.

Lots of tea with cream too - went for a coffee with a few of my walking football team mates after today’s session and had 2 pots of tea and 2 of Costa’s little pots of cream. Enjoying another one now.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
First thing two mugs strong tea.
Brunch: 2 Heck sausages, 2 slices unsmoked bacon, 2 large Burford Brown fried eggs.
Tea and lots of water.
Supper: chicken thighs, chorizo, red pepper and mushroom in tomato sauce with a few sprouts (last of the season for me). Dry rose wine unquantified.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another dull day but too warm to have the fire alight.

Breakfast: Bacon and eggs

Lunch/snack: Tiny wedge of brie (about 1.5 ounces)

Dinner: Roast beef (lots) and 80g each of cauliflower and sprouts, a taste of the carrots (i love and miss carrots), xanthan thickened meat juices as gravy

Pudding: One square 85% and (possibly) one of my little low carb cheesy scones, buttered

Drinks: Black decaff coffee until lunchtime, Asda rhubarb and custard tea or water until dinner then glass of wine with dinner and another one this evening.

I meant to say the other day... at my annual review with the DN she asked lots of questions about my low carb WOE. After going through my version of it with her I asked if there were any other low carbers locally and she said no, but that she always recommends it. Surprise!! At my previous review I was told that my Dr's surgery do not support or recommend it and i was told that my brain wouldn't work without carbs (what a stupid thing to tell someone who was been VLC for three years.)

Chook - I wonder if your nurse is aware that the DCUK LC Programme is now available to prescribe, and there's an RCGP module for medics and nurses, which also qualifies for CDP.