What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@shelley262 your double holiday celebration coming off well is indeed one of life’s best things. Happy birthday to eldest son! No fireworks but plenty of chocolate cake coming his way
I will buck the curry trend: making Mr ZF tuna noodle casserole. If I have time I’ll try the white sauce base with flax for me and see what kind of interesting thing happens...
@Chook I have to tell you, I went grocery shopping this morning and very nearly succumbed to Wensleydale w cranberries... but was a good girl and moved on to produce!
@jjraak I am sorry, you make that sound like Abbot and Costello, but I imagine your heart was racing. Prime is ADDICTIVE! Now you get all those tv and movies free, and music too.... the remaining crispbreads look perfect! Great first try :winner:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Y’all... foam makes me burp! The less the better for me....just plain coffee, generous cream and soymilk.
Wow @Contralto your salt cod sounds much tastier than my Vermont grandmother’s boiled dinner! I am not looking at the popcorn!!
Bfast 1/2 avocado, 1 1/2 boiled eggs (the cat got half the first one when I had my back turned) with mayo, decaf/soy/cream poured not shaken
Lunch 1/2 cup celeriac mess from freezer. It had matured and ripened and was utterly heavenly sorry @ianpspurs , lots of swiss cheese, 2 squares 90% chocolate
Supper celery, toms, tin of sardines with olive oil, and then the almond butter called. Dainty ladle went down, spoon tip by spoontip, one ill-advised square 90% choc. Like having coffee before bed...
Bedtime snack butter. Yep. No carbs. Wish it were fancy butter...

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, bit of an intruder,
Just wanted say thanks and let ya all know how the baking went...

@shelley262 , took the time to coach me though the crispbread recipe.

Now trust me when I say that was MOST welcome indeed, as this is my first attempt ever at baking.

Ingredients...check
Oven on .. check
Mix mixed in ok...check.
Baking tray ready, ..check
Little oil on greaseproof paper ...check.
Mixture spread out and thinned, cut into 10 pieces, stuck in oven 30 mins.....check.

Then started on frying some bacon for dinner.
was all going OH so well......

SOOOooo, greaseproof paper, and tray out of oven...crispbread looks ok

Apparently you all forgot to mention, that putting greaseproof paper into a hot oven..= safe

Resting it on tray next to open flame = NOT SAFE...:***:

Cue frantic efforts to put out fire without destroying my precious crispbread..:woot::wideyed::bigtears:

me then running across kitchen paper fully on fire and reaching up to my fingers...

Bonus points for finding sink empty of dishes to dump flaming greaseproof paper into asap..
Double bonus points for doing it when missus was at the cousins for weekend..RESULT...

Crispbread survived ok...a bit moist in middle but biscuit moist not bread moist.
crispy,,nice ..a little flavourless..(more salt n pepper next time)
Ate with slab of butter and philadelphia cream cheese..perfectly acceptable
not bad for first effort.i thought..:D

ready now to take on a little more baking and being more adventurous.
just got wait for the breathing apparatus, fire blankets & extinguishers to arrive from Amazon..
Gotta love Amazon PRIME...should be here by monday

ooh. and pic of the remaining crispbread
uc
They look good, hope you enjoy the fruits of your labor. Further advice from can be obtained from local fire station.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bit late from yesterday but we are away celebrating - self catering so all good.
Breakfast - 1 Keto egg and bacon muffin.
Lunch - 1 beef burger, 1 slice bacon, cheese.
Dinner - 2 Keto egg and bacon muffins, chicken breast fried in butter.
Copious samples of merlot, 6 nations.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lemon drizzle cake... Mmmmmm send some up here @Goonergal

I daren't make low carb cake because i just haven't got an off button as long as there are any low carb goodies in the house. I am fine with Mr C's carb filled cakes though.

I would if I could! Know what you mean with the off button - similar for me. Am taking the CCBs to footie this morning and the lemon cake to work tomorrow so hopefully others will eat most of them.

One of the wonderful days in the end that is in my view life at its best

So glad you had a good day.

Fur baby is ok he has some pain killers but no damage, 60 mile round trip and £97 pound x

Glad he’s ok.

Your bakes this weekend look amazing!

Thank you. The frosting is a good discovery and could definitely be adapted.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
01-02-2019
XBX 14, 55 skips
8.20am pre breakfast 6.3 that is a bit high for me
Breakfast spinach +2 fried eggs
Eye test, in town, no post breakfast test.

13.27 Pre lunch 4.7
Lost the plot a bit or a lot at this point
Lunch, Stuff it - 40g slice of granary bread, 45g cheddar cheese, ginger tea
15.55 post lunch 6.6
18.30 Cup of tea
19pm Large glass of dry white wine
Dinner: someone else cooked: celeriac, carrots, swede, edamame beans, homemade breaded chicken goujons, I added mayonnaise for extra fat, but can do nothing about the carb content.

If carbs were pounds £££

Another large glass of wine + one of water
And another later

Totals for day, who knows - certainly not me. Probably not enough calories and too many carbs.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This carnivory malarky has been surprisingly simple. There's so little to consider. :)

Today is my last carni day for a while. I'm having a big (carni) eating day today, as the scales tell me I've dropped a little. It's not massive amounts, but then I was carni less than a week. Hopefully it'll sort itself out without too many issues.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@jjraak - I like the look of those crispbreads but not quite enough for me to make them. :) I recently set a teatowel alight the same way you set your baking paper on fire. :oops:

@jayney27 - I'm so pleased your little furry friend is okay now. I agree that vets are ridiculously expensive. I always wonder how many animals are in pain because their owners can't afford to take them to the vet.

Today....

Breakfast: egg, bacon, high meat content chipolatas, a few mushrooms, 2 tablespoons baked beans

Lunch: chunk of Wensleydale with cranberries
@zauberflote - just to make you jealous, ;) I've found that one of our cheaper supermarkets called Aldi does the BEST Wensleydale with cranberries and its cheaper than the other supermarkets

Dinner: an Iceland (shop not country) seafood dish called Zuppa di Pesce described as a fish and seafood casserole with some konjac noodles

Drinks: tea with skimmed milk, still spring water and maybe a glass of wine with dinner

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
got a bit behind so two in one today
02-02-2019

XBX 14, 60 skips

Cup of tea
2 slices toast with peanut butter, butter on toast, Hovis lower carb bread, no sugar or salt in PB
Lunch 3 slices smoked cheese with jalapeno peppers
Homemade chicken broth with leftover cabbage thrown in

Out for walk , came home really cold.
15.56 BG 4.6
Hot chocolate drink
Bad move
18.35 Far too hot now, Face burning BG 7.1

Out to dinner with friends
19.00 Birthday cake and pina colada ( Yukk much too sweet had a sip, later another, left the rest)
At least cake was covered in sweetened cream, not icing,
Unable to work out calorie/Carb content of home cooked Indian food.
My best guesstimate is over 900 calories for the meal.
Carb content???
Well my app makes it over 202g for the day and that is without the delicious homemade beef cutlet, sort of like a thai crab cake, but beef.

Love their food, just wish they would accept my desire for a smaller portion

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably done for the day food wise but everything came together, kinda accidentally, to make a winter day as near good as it could be for me. Hope y'all had/have such days but if not today then some time soon.
Tea until 15.30 then what I would consider a proper Sunday lunch but LC tweaked and it worked (rare but does happen) Rib of beef, swede and celeriac mash (no point lying to myself, only way for me to have enjoy celeriac), cabbage, baby broccoli, cauliflower and gravy. Then I had a dessert - pannetone bread and butter pudding - with cream - using this
https://www.avidlite.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000024.pl?WD=panettone&PN=CiaoCarb-Low-Carb-Panettone-90g--ALK390.html#SID=1; own eggs, cream and soy milk. While I was walking the dogs the food fairy added a handful of sultanas. Topped with blow torched inulin. (we ate about half of the loaf so I had under 1/4). Ordered deliberately for that purpose - probably inedible any other way and defo needed extra fruit and caramelised inulin all IMHO.
The other elements were being able to get a wheelbarrow of logs into the main room to restock; excellent sermon and hymns; Rick Stein in Bordeaux - now for a nap and The Superbowl.

Last edited:

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy Sunday everyone. Spent the day on a family shipping trip followed by pub lunch so the perfect day in my eyes.
Breakfast - tried a new lower carb protein bar as were cheaper than my usual. AHhh Yes! Brand dark choc, sea salt and almond nut bar. Tasted fab and less impact of my BG than my other brand so will use again had it with a coffee

Late lunch at a carvery. Had turkey, beef, gammon, 2 pigs in blankets, broccoli, sprouts and then the bad parts - 2 tiny roast potatoes, some cauliflower cheese which I would guess contained flour, and half a Yorkshire pudding. Decided to accept whatever came.
Imagine my surprise to find BG 5.0 pre meal, 6.3 at 1 hr after eating and back down to 5.3 at 2 hr after. Tested at 1hr as wanted to make sure my 2 hrs was a coming back down and not a slowly on the way up reading. I love my life low carb, physically and mentally never felt so strong and if somebody said to me tomorrow your diabetes is cured I would not go back to my old way of eating. And this won’t be repeated often as despite good BG’s I’m also fully aware it’s likely a fluke, a good day, and doesn’t indicate my bodies acceptance of carbs.

Won’t eat again today and am going into a lengthy fast. Several reasons for it but won’t bore everyone. Won’t be a water only fast - mainly will be but will allow myself a drop of milk in a couple of coffees a day. So my meal finished at 3pm today. Want to get at least to waking Wednesday morning so 64hr minimum. So I’ll read in your lovely recipes but won’t bother posting as it will just be fluids to report :)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Well, I had some vegetables today and confirmed that I still don’t have an off button for CCBs!

‘Lunch’ was a post walking football feast of CCBs - took a batch in for my team mates and finding myself unusually hungry (it was only 10.45am as our session starts ridiculously early on a Sunday morning), indulged in rather too many pieces (I chopped each small bar into 3 so they’d go further).

Very long walk home via canals, parks and the Thames. Arrived to find a calendar reminder on my phone telling me I should have been in another part of town watching a family friend in a pantomime. Start time was 3 minutes away so too late by far.

Ate a delicious dinner of lamb shoulder shank - really tender - and a small portion of cauliflower cheese. Followed up with a slither of the lemon cake and a blob of extra thick Jersey cream. I’m loving that icing @maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
@jjraak well you did great on the crispbreads I just forgot to put the final instruction on not to place tray / paper near a naked flame! What an image. I now use oven proof silicone mats but not sure how they would react to a naked flame either - maybe melt? Hope you have another go - the more you do them the better they are. It’s crucial too to take time to roll or press out as thin as possible and leave in a cooling oven while they get final crispness if needed. I manage to roll out about 24 from the mix. They stay crisp in tin for ages so no risk of waste. I’ll put recipe on here in a few mins as per @Contralto s request as need to be on PC to copy! To follow in a few mins.
After celebs yesterday and very early start to cook up a full English for our guests I wasn’t hungry until teatime so stuck to coffee and cream and lots of black tea until 5ish
Dinner steak with cauli rice fried with mushrooms, glass of red wine - followed by small portion of keto choc cake with double cream recipe here:
https://sugarfreelondoner.com/keto-chocolate-cake/
It’s a mix of cake and mousse - I used 95% choc from Lidl. Very rich can’t eat a big portion so have ended up freezing more than half for sometime later in month @nd enough still in the fridge to keep OH and I in desserts for a few more days.
@Emma_369 good luck with your planned long fast and hope that it achieves what you’re aiming for. I admire everyone who can fast longer than 23 hours that’s the longest I’ve ever managed and luckily can just go with my hunger now and maintain my bgs and weight at a level I’m happy with.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
@jjraak well you did great on the crispbreads I just forgot to put the final instruction on not to place tray / paper near a naked flame! What an image. I now use oven proof silicone mats but not sure how they would react to a naked flame either - maybe melt? Hope you have another go - the more you do them the better they are. It’s crucial too to take time to roll or press out as thin as possible and leave in a cooling oven while they get final crispness if needed. I manage to roll out about 24 from the mix. They stay crisp in tin for ages so no risk of waste. I’ll put recipe on here in a few mins as per @Contralto s request as need to be on PC to copy! To follow in a few mins.
After celebs yesterday and very early start to cook up a full English for our guests I wasn’t hungry until teatime so stuck to coffee and cream and lots of black tea until 5ish
Dinner steak with cauli rice fried with mushrooms, glass of red wine - followed by small portion of keto choc cake with double cream recipe here:
https://sugarfreelondoner.com/keto-chocolate-cake/
It’s a mix of cake and mousse - I used 95% choc from Lidl. Very rich can’t eat a big portion so have ended up freezing more than half for sometime later in month @nd enough still in the fridge to keep OH and I in desserts for a few more days.
@Emma_369 good luck with your planned long fast and hope that it achieves what you’re aiming for. I admire everyone who can fast longer than 23 hours that’s the longest I’ve ever managed and luckily can just go with my hunger now and maintain my bgs and weight at a level I’m happy with.

Cake looks good @shelley262

Reactions: zauberflote

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Contralto as requested:

Shelley's Seeded Crispreads

4 grams of carb for whole mix if 24 crispbreads each crispbread is 0.166g of carb.

Makes 24 crispbreads using a 2” square cutter

Ingredients

· 110g of Dry ingredients in total - I used the following:

o 50g of milled seeds could use just ground flaxseed but I used a mix of ground flaxseed, sunflower and pumpkin seeds and think it added more flavour to the mix (Linwood’s and used this as my carb count)

o 30g Ground Almonds

o 20 g of Psyllium Husk

o 10g of whole mixed seeds

· Seasoning to taste I used a mix of salt, a few herbs and pepper

· 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 4 tablespoons of water (you may need a bit extra when mixing you’ll need to judge it to make sure good sticky texture)

Method

1. Put oven on to 160 fan

2. Line one large tray with a silicone liner ( or oiled baking paper)

3. Mix water and oil

4. Mix liquids to dry ingredients - adding more PH if very sticky or more water if very dry and not binding into a ball for rolling out. Go steady as PH takes a few mins to thicken so don’t overdo it.

5. Sprinkle PH onto a surface and tip dough out on it and roll and press out until as thin as possible - the thinner the better.

6. Press out size and shapes of biscuit required - should make about 24 if thin enough.

7. Bake in oven for 30 mins - checking and then leaving longer and/or in a cooling oven if not crisp enough.

I now use silicone liners as saves waste plus you can use them for rolling out too and no extra oil needed to prevent sticking.
Plus @jjraak silicone liners may be less flammable than greaseproof paper??
If anyone tries them out comments welcome re how they go.

Last edited: