What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Food today was a bit off kilter, but still low carb! :joyful:

Breakfast: Leftover cupcake with coffee - well, why not, it's a Sunday!?!
Elevenses / early lunch: Another LC cupcake and almond milk cappuccino.
Afternoon: Coffee at our favourite Italian café. We managed to resist their awesome Antipasto Misto this time!
Dinner: Slow cooked lamb shoulder rubbed with smoked paprika, cinnamon, coriander, oregano, garlic and olive oil (cooked for nearer 7 hours instead of the planned 5!) served with cavalo Nero, a couple of baby carrots and my first (successful) attempt at a celeriac dauphinoise. A few strawberries with a tiny bit of cream for dessert. Decaf coffee soon.

The plan was to have an early dinner / late lunch (hence the elevenses). That was before Mr B decided to go on the quest for enormous house plants for our front room! So, off we trawled to our local garden centres and now I am sitting in jungle.:lurking: We didn't eat until after 6.00, but it was well worth the wait!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Food today was a bit off kilter, but still low carb! :joyful:

Breakfast: Leftover cupcake with coffee - well, why not, it's a Sunday!?!
Elevenses / early lunch: Another LC cupcake and almond milk cappuccino.
Afternoon: Coffee at our favourite Italian café. We managed to resist their awesome Antipasto Misto this time!
Dinner: Slow cooked lamb shoulder rubbed with smoked paprika, cinnamon, coriander, oregano, garlic and olive oil (cooked for nearer 7 hours instead of the planned 5!) served with cavalo Nero, a couple of baby carrots and my first (successful) attempt at a celeriac dauphinoise. A few strawberries with a tiny bit of cream for dessert. Decaf coffee soon.

The plan was to have an early dinner / late lunch (hence the elevenses). That was before Mr B decided to go on the quest for enormous house plants for our front room! So, off we trawled to our local garden centres and now I am sitting in jungle.:lurking: We didn't eat until after 6.00, but it was well worth the wait!
Lamb sounds rather spiffing and Cavolo Nero is very underused (says he who should grow it!)

Reactions: zauberflote

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lamb sounds rather spiffing and Cavolo Nero is very underused (says he who should grow it!)
Thanks. The lamb was absolutely gorgeous. It definitely benefited from the extra time in the oven. Long and slow is definitely the way to go with shoulder. And I agree about cavalo nero, I could eat tons of it.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
bit of a foody day today.

3 tbls greek yoghurt, brazil nuts, walnuts, pumpkin seeds...off to work
Had pack of ham and sliced cheddar from sains....sandwich without the bread..ok
Naughty..bought one of those mixed, half / half rasp/blueberries..
ate the lot..o_O:woot::wacky:
Home..got chicken cottage peri peri half chicken some salad
one square of lidl dark chocolate ecuadorian, i think, must be growing up,
broke it in to a few bits let each melt in my mouth, one by one..lovely.

Last four squares of the fiery crispbread (;))..missus liked, so shared.
one for me with phili cheese with garlic, other cheddar and slided beetroot..

like the ability to 'bulk' out the things i like, and to add that little crunch, and all inside a L/C cracker..

Cheers @shelley262 , and all of you for the hand holding...not so daunting now, so i'll deffo try them and other things in future.
thanks for the FIRE stories..don''t feel so awkward now..

I'll just be a bit more respectful of the fire hazards, in future..:D

@Emma_369 ..good luck with fast, as said ..you one tough hombre..( or such like :cool: )
@shelley262 , your a star, and cake looks awesome...:happy:
@Goonergal ..from what i read you could do guided tours of the walks of London..:)

have a good un, all.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
bit of a foody day today.

3 tbls greek yoghurt, brazil nuts, walnuts, pumpkin seeds...off to work
Had pack of ham and sliced cheddar from sains....sandwich without the bread..ok
Naughty..bought one of those mixed, half / half rasp/blueberries..
ate the lot..o_O:woot::wacky:
Home..got chicken cottage peri peri half chicken some salad
one square of lidl dark chocolate ecuadorian, i think, must be growing up,
broke it in to a few bits let each melt in my mouth, one by one..lovely.

Last four squares of the fiery crispbread (;))..missus liked, so shared.
one for me with phili cheese with garlic, other cheddar and slided beetroot..

like the ability to 'bulk' out the things i like, and to add that little crunch, and all inside a L/C cracker..

Cheers @shelley262 , and all of you for the hand holding...not so daunting now, so i'll deffo try them and other things in future.
thanks for the FIRE stories..don''t feel so awkward now..

I'll just be a bit more respectful of the fire hazards, in future..:D

@Emma_369 ..good luck with fast, as said ..you one tough hombre..( or such like :cool: )
@shelley262 , your a star, and cake looks awesome...:happy:
@Goonergal ..from what i read you could do guided tours of the walks of London..:)

have a good un, all.
I’m already booked up for one of @Goonergal s guided canal walks when I’m planning to go to the pHC Low carb conference in May! So you’re spot on @jjraak !

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Breakfast
Coffee
Tapas bowl of crisps (fish n chips)
“ think it’s the salt I craved”

Dinner
Bolognaise (Lloyd Grossman)
Holland n Barrett linguine (terrible)

Bought a Jamie Oliver pasta maker so will looking forward to carb free pasta.

I've got a traditional style pasta maker thats never been out of its box (it was a present). What will you be making your pasta dough with??

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
03-02
XBX 14
Cup of tea
No breakfast, after yesterdays excess no need for it.
No lunch.
Got hungry around 2pm but we were outside, supervising bonfire, no access to food.
4pm cup of ginger tea.
busy active day already at 11k+ steps
18.14 Pre dinner 7.1 What? Not eaten all day. Restested several times got 6.2
Glass of prosecco, celebrating the start of six nations
Sort of cottage pie, lower carb topping
Second helping, well it is all I have eaten today. Second glass of prosecco Wales won YAY
20.58 post dinner, bit late 3.6
what is going on here?
Small helping of chocolate rice pudding - as recommended by my diabetic nurse.:***:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. The lamb was absolutely gorgeous. It definitely benefited from the extra time in the oven. Long and slow is definitely the way to go with shoulder. And I agree about cavalo nero, I could eat tons of it.
IMHO lamb shoulder is far better than leg -same goes for pork. Low and slow is our favoured way to cook meat.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: roast chicken, one small roast potato, mixed veg and gravy thickened with flax, followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Tea at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by one Jaffa cake. :joyful:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. I’m late again and trying to catch up. Lamb seems a popular choice here: we had it too
Brunch was DD breakfast sandwich
Lunch roast leg of lamb with celeriac daupinoise ( snap @BibaBee, I love the sound of your 7hr roast!) and broccoli
Pud was suposed to be a chocolate cake but it was truly terrible. Wish I’d made yours @shelley262 mine didn’t have any sweetener apart from inulin but I have pretty much lost my sweet tooth so that didn’t worry me. There was so much wrong with it though, I should have known, I had reservations just reading the recipe but it was an expensive waste.
@Goonergal I’m glad the CCBs went down well - wish I’d stuck to them.
@Emma_369 goodluck with the fast, I know I couldn’t manage one that long so take my hat off to you.
@ianpspurs your pud sounds fab. Proper winter fare.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
IMHO lamb shoulder is far better than leg -same goes for pork. Low and slow is our favoured way to cook meat.
Am I right in remembering you recently weren't that impressed with the beef short ribs / jacobs ladder? I've cooked them really slowly in the past and they were really tender.

Reactions: zauberflote

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Am I right in remembering you recently weren't that impressed with the beef short ribs / jacobs ladder? I've cooked them really slowly in the past and they were really tender.
They are OK nothing special really, definitely not as good as ox cheek. Tender is a minimum I would expect. Wouldn't pick them against lamb shoulder, pork shoulder, ox cheek.oxtail or salmon but all personal preference. @DJC3 the pudding was fine - but it won't be the same if I eat what's left or repeat for a long time so pleased it worked today. Actually, I think it worked because of the generally upbeat mood of the day. Context is a huge part of food enjoyment to me.

Last edited:

Hungry19

I've got a traditional style pasta maker thats never been out of its box (it was a present). What will you be making your pasta dough with??

Have been looking at online recipes - most are suggesting rice flour + potatoe star + eggs, but that’s not gunna be any good for my low carb - so I ended up on Sainsbury’s online checking out the red lentil or chickpea pasta so will buy a few packets of that n see what I can find at amazon - like chickpea flour or summit.
Do you have any ideas or is that why ur pasta maker is still in the box

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Chook well I have got an Aldi 5 minutes from my house, so there too!! Now to compare theirs with my memory of the Costco from Thanksgiving....
@Emma_369 did you ship your kids off to Land’s End? Keep strong on your fast!!
@shelley262 perhaps in the final cookbook you will put one of those ridiculous warnings like “CAUTION OPEN FLAME MAY CAUSE FLAMMABLE MATERIALS TO COMBUST!!!!” And I definitely Copied Me That cake. Possibly could convince Mr ZF that it was enough like his fam’s recipe that he’d give it a try. The crackers look good but too much trouble for right now.
@BibaBee and @ianpspurs is cavolo nero plain old kale, or a fancy one? I can’t get the interwebs to agree on things.
@jjraak oo la la all the berries!!! Join the dark chocolate club!!! I can’t remember my “fire” story perfectly, but it involved seriously smoking fat in a frypan, and me having the presence of mind, in sight of my very young boys, to cover it. And then there are the numerous times the dripped cheese in the toaster oven has caught on fire, but not sure those count
@Rachox I was waiting for that Jaffa cake to come on! Yay!
Bfast 1/2 avocado, couple of cherry toms, egg (snatched from jaws of cat!), decaf/soy/cream
Lunch at son’s: bring own as always. Celery, lc tortilla with almond butter, 2 squares 90% choc while they had brownies. The brownies smelled great cooking but I know for a fact my choc was tastier!
Supper cherry toms, spinach/cheese omelet (charitably) that really was some nukes spinach, egg+whites, and cheese, chopped up after cooking. #almondbutteroopage after that. Sigh. Then went for walk. Don’t care who wins Superbowl.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook well I have got an Aldi 5 minutes from my house, so there too!! Now to compare theirs with my memory of the Costco from Thanksgiving....
@Emma_369 did you ship your kids off to Land’s End? Keep strong on your fast!!
@shelley262 perhaps in the final cookbook you will put one of those ridiculous warnings like “CAUTION OPEN FLAME MAY CAUSE FLAMMABLE MATERIALS TO COMBUST!!!!” And I definitely Copied Me That cake. Possibly could convince Mr ZF that it was enough like his fam’s recipe that he’d give it a try. The crackers look good but too much trouble for right now.
@BibaBee and @ianpspurs is cavolo nero plain old kale, or a fancy one? I can’t get the interwebs to agree on things.
@jjraak oo la la all the berries!!! Join the dark chocolate club!!! I can’t remember my “fire” story perfectly, but it involved seriously smoking fat in a frypan, and me having the presence of mind, in sight of my very young boys, to cover it. And then there are the numerous times the dripped cheese in the toaster oven has caught on fire, but not sure those count
@Rachox I was waiting for that Jaffa cake to come on! Yay!
Bfast 1/2 avocado, couple of cherry toms, egg (snatched from jaws of cat!), decaf/soy/cream
Lunch at son’s: bring own as always. Celery, lc tortilla with almond butter, 2 squares 90% choc while they had brownies. The brownies smelled great cooking but I know for a fact my choc was tastier!
Supper cherry toms, spinach/cheese omelet (charitably) that really was some nukes spinach, egg+whites, and cheese, chopped up after cooking. #almondbutteroopage after that. Sigh. Then went for walk. Don’t care who wins Superbowl.
Cavolo Nero is black kale - stronger taste. https://www.healwithfood.org/health-benefits/tuscan-black-kale-cavolo-nero.php

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have been looking at online recipes - most are suggesting rice flour + potatoe star + eggs, but that’s not gunna be any good for my low carb - so I ended up on Sainsbury’s online checking out the red lentil or chickpea pasta so will buy a few packets of that n see what I can find at amazon - like chickpea flour or summit.
Do you have any ideas or is that why ur pasta maker is still in the box

@shelley262 (I think it was her, but definitely someone on this thread, probably @maglil55 if not Shelley) posted a recipe for pasta using low carb ingredients. Didn’t note it as pasta’s not something I miss, but hopefully someone else did.