What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
haha..probably not even a word, but does sound right..;)
cheers, growing more confident..so that means a fall is coming..LoL

( you must explain more about the differences between xylitol and the erythritol
i too have a biggish bag of the xy...:sorry: normally, now ive bought it see, eryth being used in most recipes :rolleyes: )

Xylitol is potentially fatal to dogs. Erythritol is a bit less sweet and thought to have less of an impact on BG.

Reactions: zauberflote

Kingmidas

@Brunneria Happy steak day!
@Kingmidas Thank you for sharing the recipe. I've had a look at the website and like the look of the Keto chocolate crunch bars too: https://thebigmansworld.com/homemade-keto-chocolate-crunch-bars-paleo-vegan-low-carb/

I can report back that the pecan butter cookies have improved overnight and oddly have firmed up, rather than going softer. I'm not loving the effect of the xylitol on my digestive system, though. I'm really bloated after one small cookie. I'll be glad when I've used it up.....much happier with erythritol.

Breakfast: Almond Chia pud with flaked almonds and strawberries
Mid morning: Pecan butter cookie with cappuccino
Lunch: Souvlaki chicken skewers, chorizo, salami, iberico cheese, babybel, cucumber, cherry toms.
Dinner: Roast pepper, aubergine, courgette and a tiny bit of onion with grilled halloumi. SF jelly. Pecan cookie and decaf coffee.
I'm having to wrestle slices of cake from my non-low-carb-diet daughter who says it reminds her of the Mr Kipling type cake bar twin pack chocolate cake slices. High praise indeed!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast
Bacon brussel sprouts
Tomatoes on soy toast

Dinner
Jacobs cracks n cheese

Read brilliant articles on importance of breakfast/ one on benifit of dieting two weeks on two weeks off and one about eating 12 hours apart.
Unfortunately a few late night mishaps of piazza n McDonald’s ment I went over my weekly calorie budget count n put on 2kilos.
Just two late night mishaps out of two months so disappointed not disheartened - the measurements and 13 % better BMI - are testament to what I ate right.
Feeling thankful that I am learning how to eat better.
That is a brilliant effort, only one slip up a month. Give that man a medal:woot:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice video, @Goonergal
Like the avatar, too.

today had
B 2 poached eggs, 2 chipolata sausages, lidl pork 97%..NICE
ryvita...( Must stop.)
gym, then walk with our steph get some joggers and t shirts for gyn and the other isde of town for trainers..all good.

Home to a lidl lamb shank (Nuke 6 mins) bag of spinach, bag of broccoli florets..steamed .(.lazy cook ;))
dijon mustard to flavour..lambs shanks meaty but not flavourful..might not get again.
BUT ..i did make @shelley262 (very nice the new avatar ( fav was the lake one though ...very landed gentry :))
crispbreads..added a tad more olive oil and water this time..( .i'm getting more used to it now..thanks to you, shelley :happy: )
and added in some turmeric powder (negligible taste) and a good splash of chilli flakes..and those you CAN taste..Yum.

so i ate 4 of those (made it 20 pieces) butter and dairylea type cheese spread (2)..munch munch, just the crunch i've been missing and tasty & spicy to boot...:D

bon vivant, my gourmantic friends,
Thanks for comments re liquids I agree I used more this time and think I’ll up them in ingredients list. I ended up putting 6 of water this time and the PH just absorbs and swells more works better. It’s one of those trial and error things.
I’ve found the real game changer for me was moving over to silicone mats I could use for rolling out, cutting out and baking on find much easier than greaseproof or baking paper. This time I rolled into a rectangle measured and then using a knife cut out into 20 pieces which I just separated a bit to bake as they don’t spread.
Chilli flakes added sounds good. @DJC3 added Parmesan to hers also sound good. I like salt pepper and herbs .

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'm having to wrestle slices of cake from my non-low-carb-diet daughter who says it reminds her of the Mr Kipling type cake bar twin pack chocolate cake slices. High praise indeed!

Don't you just hate it when they do that?

A couple of Christmases ago i made a lovely low carb Christmas cake. I had ONE slice of it on Christmas evening and the next time i looked in the tin it had gone... just a few crumbs left. Mr C actually said he thought i would be grateful that he had cleared it up for me so i wouldn't be tempted.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
05-02
XBX level 15 70 skips moving up again

8.43am pre breakfast 4.7

Breakfast: cup of tea, 2 eggs, scrambled, with butter, spinach and a hash brown, more te
11.33 after breakfast 6.1
late morning coffee
14.18 pre lunch 4.9
Lunch: one slice Burgen bread, toasted, pate, enough for two slices, satsuma, glass of water, tea.
16.28 after lunch, (nearly got the two hours right)5.7
19.49 before dinner 4.8
Dinner: roast chicken, carrots, cabbage, green beans, gravy. Was going to have small potato as well, but didn't actually want it. Yoghurt with a dash of cream, all there was left in the pot and berries, small glass of wine, pecan nuts.

21.45, after dinner 5.1
Only 3 calories short Yippee, get out another pecan? Have a cup of tea at bedtime

Logging exercise now. 10 mins home exercise, no place to log skips. 150 minutes of chores. Not a lot else today.
Oh *** now need another 322 calories to maintain weight. That is disappointing. Just when it seemed to balance. Somehow don't think will be eating any more today.
managed a small piece of cheese, maybe 20g not enough calories again :arghh:

Last edited:

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
haha..probably not even a word, but does sound right..;)
cheers, growing more confident..so that means a fall is coming..LoL

( you must explain more about the differences between xylitol and the erythritol
i too have a biggish bag of the xy...:sorry: normally, now ive bought it see, eryth being used in most recipes :rolleyes: )
I made the same mistake early on in our low carb journey. One of the benefits of xylitol is that you can use it at the same ratio as sugar in any baking recipe, so 1:1. Erythritol is about 70% as sweet as sugar, but you can add stevia to up the sweetness if needed. There are some stevia and erythritol sweeteners too, just to confuse matters! Always check the ratio, as I have one that is twice as sweet as sugar! I think Diet Doctor explains the differences quite well https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/sweeteners

I know some people find xylitol raises BG, whilst erythritol / stevia tends no to in most people.

*Edited to add "as sweet as sugar"....xylitol isn't 70% less sweet!

Last edited:

Kingmidas

Don't you just hate it when they do that?

A couple of Christmases ago i made a lovely low carb Christmas cake. I had ONE slice of it on Christmas evening and the next time i looked in the tin it had gone... just a few crumbs left. Mr C actually said he thought i would be grateful that he had cleared it up for me so i wouldn't be tempted.
Well, that was kind of him!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DJC3 - I love Line of Duty. Their baddies make you want to throw things at the screen. I have the box set and can't wait for the new season. Will be binge watching Game of Thrones soon before the final season.
@jayney27 - best of luck with the application.
@ianpspurs - glad the bread and butter pud worked out. Think I'll see if she still has the pannatone as I was also fond of bread and butter pudding.
@Goonergal - it is a very versatile frosting. Easy to vary.
I too am on a catch up. Brother's daughters were very emotional not surprisingly so it's been a very emotional few days. Boys kept me going though.
Sunday
Bed 5.3 FBG 5.7
B Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream
L. Slice of Dr Almond seeded bread with lurpack and a slice of ox tongue.
D. Homemade fishcake made with cod loin, peas, celeriac mash, grated cheese sealed in my sesame crumb mix. Veggie fries and curried tartare sauce.
Boys were quite amused with their home made fish fingers. I butterflied cod loin and stuffed them with peas, reformed and crumbed. They loved when they cut into them and called them surprise fingers! They were out for the count by 7.30pm what with swimming, games, making surprise fingers etc.
Monday
Up early to get boys washed, brushed, fed, dressed and off for our early start. Bed 6.9 FBG 6.1 no time for me to eat.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream. Grabbed a couple of Tesco's rollitos between getting back from school and going off to aqua fit.
L. Nothing
D. Rib eye steak, mustard, little lettuce, 1/4 avocado, veggie chips and a fried egg.
Few mixed berries and cream.
No 1 had his paediatric dentist visit after school. She was wonderful. Needs some sedated treatment but they took their time and explained everything. They're going to use the gas and air mix but you get scents in it now.
He chose bubble gum. Neat little mask too. First visit they're not doing too much - some fissure sealant but really just to settle him with the gas and air. It's the next one where they'll work on the two back teeth. Problem is he can't take milk so the teeth are not as hard as they should be.
Today - Tuesday
Bed 5.8 FBG 6
Another early trip to school. Very icy this morning. Yesterday it Was 8c today -2c !
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream. After School run 2 Morrisons GF pork chipolatos, fried egg, slice back bacon and toast! Seedy bread still going strong. Keeps well in the fridge.
L. 1/2 PhD raspberry bar.
D. Got an email about a jennifer banz new recipes and since I had everything for one I thought why not.

https://jenniferbanz.com/salmon-and-avocado-salsa

It was very refreshing for a salmon dish. The avocado salsa I added feta cheese to it. Had more berries and cream after.
School swimming tomorrow so not quite as early. School holidays at The end of the week though

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I’m 56 hours into my long fast and surprisingly it’s not food I miss the most - it’s posting on this thread!!! So just needed to pop up and say hi.
@Goonergal love the new avatar! @jjraak glad to see you’ve mastered the crispbreads without the fire hazard ;)
GO, that Girl...:D

hardcore, @Emma_369 , hardcore..<respect>

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for comments re liquids I agree I used more this time and think I’ll up them in ingredients list. I ended up putting 6 of water this time and the PH just absorbs and swells more works better. It’s one of those trial and error things.
I’ve found the real game changer for me was moving over to silicone mats I could use for rolling out, cutting out and baking on find much easier than greaseproof or baking paper. This time I rolled into a rectangle measured and then using a knife cut out into 20 pieces which I just separated a bit to bake as they don’t spread.
Chilli flakes added sounds good. @DJC3 added Parmesan to hers also sound good. I like salt pepper and herbs .

That’s what’s so good about these - they are so adaptable: cheesy, herby, spicy whatever you fancy. A really good recipe @shelley262

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 that salmon recipe looks good. I only tend to cook fish on Mondays, as our bins are emptied on Tues so any smelly wrapping or skin is whisked away. The stuffed fish fingers for the boys are a brilliant idea, think I’ll try them with the girls next time I have them round for tea.
I’m glad you got through your very poignant and emotional weekend with the family around, it does help if you can be together to share memories.
I’m off to York in a couple of weeks as it’s my niece’s 18th birthday which will be hard for her to celebrate without her dad.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Chook your comfort food is mine!! I am so sorry about your knees Have you thought about replacement? Shameless plug: visit bonesmart.org to see many many people with joint pain. Run on same platform as this forum, very international, great forumites. Forumdwellers? Forumians?
@jpscloud sorry about your cravings. I’d bet on the oopage Sunday, and fat bombs will help, I hope!
@Goonergal congrats on the lemon cake! I guess I must practise some of these recipes for “someday”...
@Kingmidas thanks for sharing the cake recipe! That has about enough squash in it to put 2 shreds in each serving maybe I am wanting a bread-like thing rather than a fluffy cake...
@ianpspurs so sorry for Julie’s IBS... I hope she’s more comfortable now. And... smoked cheddar??!?!!! That sounds seriously edible. I’ve never heard of it.
Another great interview! It’s nice for a change to see something shot and edited for the best, not to make somebody appear stupid....
@PenguinMum sorry you’re mizzable! Hope things improve very soon.
Happy birthday @Brunneria !!! Sounds like you had a great time out!
@Hungry19 slipups are normal. You have the figures to show how well you’re really doing!!!
@maglil55 I bought a calcium powder supplement for my kid. He ate ONLY PB&J sandwiches for a long time, and I wasn’t about to give him as much ice cream as needed to make a day’s needs. This powder disappears into any food it’s mixed with, and I have taken it for the years that I haven’t drunk milk (since 1993...) I get it from a US manufacturer called Kirkman Labs. Maybe you have something similar? Also, our dentist used fluoride trays at each visit - and bubble gum was the flavor of choice! The kid (well, adult) stopped brushing his teeth for about a year recently and had to have a large number of fillings grrrrr. And yay holidays! Our kids don’t get a break between Christmas and Easter-week spring break, except a couple of long weekends. By Easter the teachers have frazzled their last nerve!
Wow @Emma_369 you are going strong!!
Whew that was several pages to catch up with....

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. I haven’t tried this recipe for LC scotch eggs, but it is now on my list - popped up on a carnivore Facebook page this morning.

C57232E2-8716-4C45-B007-933A50739158.jpeg