What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@zauberflote

I would love to have replacements but doctor said no when I asked - I'm not old enough apparently (63) and replacements are something the NHS are cutting back on.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@zauberflote

I would love to have replacements but doctor said no when I asked - I'm not old enough apparently (63) and replacements are something the NHS are cutting back on.

Oh Chook honey...we at Bonesmart have heard that over and over. There are a couple of people there who will help you find a consultant in your area before your knees collapse. You Are Not Too Young! (and I’m sure you’d agree!). Let me PM you; we won’t derail the topic here....

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@zauberflote

Unfortunately most people over here (unless wealthy or with medical insurance) need to be treated by our National Health Service - and I'm one of those that can't afford private medical care. My doctor wasn't being horrible when he said I wouldn't yet be eligible for knee replacements on the NHS, just truthful.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Goonergal I love the sound of those Scotch eggs - they are something I always used to really enjoy pre DX. Sadly the one and only time I tried making a LC version all the sausagemeat sort of slid off when they were being cooked. Could anyone who makes them please let me know how they turn out.

@DJC3 Good idea about having fish the day before bin emptying. Now why didn't I think about that!

Today...

Breakfast: Kippers and scrambled eggs

Lunch: defrosted blackberries with the Turkish yoghurt I got from Asda (its so thick you can cut it with a knife) topped with some almond butter and flaked almonds - very, very nice lunch - I think this lunch might turn in to a regular treat

Dinner: Chicken curry and cauliflower rice

Drinks: black decaff coffee with breakfast, big mug of tea with skimmed milk for 'elevenses' and still spring water for the rest of the day.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook your yogurty,almondy, fruity lunch sounds very indulgent. Is the Asda Turkish yogurt the same as Greek carb-wise?

Reactions: zauberflote

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal and @Chook Re Scotch eggs, the recipe looks good. I reckon a thin dusting of psyllium husk powder on the eggs before rolling the sausagemeat around them might help to keep the sausagemeat from sliding off. I’m sure we were told to sprinkle flour on them when I learned how to make them at school. That was back in the 70s though so I may be wrong.
I think this is one to try, I never really liked Scotch eggs because of the strange soggy orangy crumb, these sound much better.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@DJC3

It was gorgeous and did feel indulgent. I bought the yoghurt in Asda but it isn't own brand. It was in the ethnic foods chiller.

It's 3.7g carbs per 100g

IMG_20190206_154104_hdr.jpg
IMG_20190206_154145_hdr.jpg

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I haven't had yoghurt as nice as this since Lidl discontinued their Turkish yoghurt.

Reactions: ianpspurs and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Will let you know @Chook and @DJC3 if I try the Scotch eggs. They look like they hold together ok on the picture posted on Facebook.

@dunelm how are you enjoying carnivore?

@Chook your lunch does sound good - will look for that yoghurt. Don’t think I’ve had yoghurt at all since diagnosis except in the form of tzaziki in Turkish restaurants from time to time.

Wanted to do an OMAD day today but obvious from early on that wasn’t going to happen - stomach growling loudly at 7am!

Lunch was smoked salmon and whipped creamy cheese. Didn’t quite hit the spot so added 100g salted almonds.

Having eaten so much at lunch, ditched the planned steak in favour of a Diet Doctor breakfast sandwich.

Off to the gym shortly - need to be going more regularly.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Much more spring like here today so thought I better finish pruning apple trees as much as I can until I locate one of my chainsaws. Hope you all had good days.
Lots of tea, 1 cup of cocoa and for 2nd day running some water. Theory is not eating lunch salad messes with hydration and other levels so a cheese and egg salad but smaller than usual and with Mayo. Evening meal was cold beef rib from Sunday and a version of bubble and squeak with veg from Sunday (cabbage, swede and celeriac mash and I think some cauliflower and a random green bean), carb and cal free curry sauce.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Breakfast boiled egg and about a third of German Lidl roll sliced and buttered
No lunch had lunchtime interview for an article about low carb program that will be in simply you magazine shortly and time raced away today!
Dinner beef short rib slow cooked and served with buttered cabbage and small glass of red wine. Will have decaf coffee with cream later with some high percentage chocolate. ( maybe a little slither of the hotel choc Yule log or one of my other Christmas chocs)
Love this thread and all the recipes on here @Emma_369 can understand that despite your amazing fast you are missing posting all credit to you re length of time you’ve been fasting i genuinely can’t imagine how anyone could fast for that length of time. I must love food too much!
@maglil55 as ever in awe of your busyness, difficult family stuff and your amazing superstar granny feats!
edit managed to give rest of hotel choc Yule log to OH I just had a bit but pleased it’s been despatched at last! Just the Xmas chocs to go now!

Last edited:

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all, sorry I can't go back and read all your posts, this thread moves fast!

I've just broken my 24 hour fast with minced beef fried in goose fat with celery and onion, must get some peppers to add too, next time, with buttered broccoli and slow cooked chestnut mushrooms - heaven on a plate! I'm having greek yoghurt, extra thick cream with ground flax and cinnamon for dessert.

I had one coffee with cream in the morning, then just 3x green tea. I didn't feel terribly hungry today and seem to have an easier time on fasting days compared to eating days, very strange but I'll run with it and try OMAD until weekend.

I had a load of chestnut mushrooms because I bought way too many at the weekend and had to use them up - Threw a huge chunk of butter in the slow cooker, put large pieces of the mushrooms in, and slow cooked overnight on low. Mushrooms always seem too firm/chewy when fried up quickly but these came out just the right texture for me. The flavour was amazing too.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone
I was hoping to do OMAD today too @Goonergal but by about 2:30 I was too hungry. @Emma_369 I am in awe of your amazing fasting.
Had a few seedy crackers with cheddar, some sf jelly with clotted cream and a few Callebaut chocolate buttons.

Dinner was a bunless bacon cheeseburger on a bed of brussel tops sauteed in garlic butter. Brussel tops are my absolute favourite veg.

@shelley262 I can’t believe you still have some of the Yule log left, you must have incredible willpower. I’m looking forward to seeing your Simply You article. Let us know when it’s out.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone
I was hoping to do OMAD today too @Goonergal but by about 2:30 I was too hungry. @Emma_369 I am in awe of your amazing fasting.
Had a few seedy crackers with cheddar, some sf jelly with clotted cream and a few Callebaut chocolate buttons.

Dinner was a bunless bacon cheeseburger on a bed of brussel tops sauteed in garlic butter. Brussel tops are my absolute favourite veg.

@shelley262 I can’t believe you still have some of the Yule log left, you must have incredible willpower. I’m looking forward to seeing your Simply You article. Let us know when it’s out.
Feel a bit ignorant but don’t know what you mean by Brussels tops? Is it the bits you normally trim off?now Feel I may be putting best bit in the compost?
Choc log end just dispatched by OH I just had a taste.
Will let you know date of publication of simply you when know she had to talk to editor but did say she’d notify me as soon as she knew.
Edited to add just researched tops @DJC3 and now I know they are the leaves/ rose at top of the Brussels sprout plant why have I never seen them? Must now start looking for them in veg shop. Thanks for highlighting these x

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

Last night’s steak lasted til 3pm, at which point I had a small portion of diced chicken thigh in harissa. :wacky:

And now I have 2 half lamb shoulders brewing in the instant pot.
I have stabbed them all over and studded them with garlic. Then I will add thyme, black pepper and lemon at the end.
Need to order some more pomegranate syrup, because i am out, and that would be fab on the lamb, too.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Brunneria
Where do you get your pomegranate molasses / syrup? The only place I've seen it for sale is in a Turkish supermarket in Sheffield.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria
Where do you get your pomegranate molasses / syrup? The only place I've seen it for sale is in a Turkish supermarket in Sheffield.

I got it in a special sale type deal on Amazon. 2 for 1, I think.
Full price it was dauntingly expensive, esp since so high in carbs.
But i never regretted it.
Used it rather like balsamic vinegar (but nicer). Fab on salad, with mayo.
The bottles lasted a very long time.