What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
B. Slice of HiLo toast with crunchy peanut butter, black tea, black coffee.
L. At the house of a friend who is a superb cook. I made an experimental starter of cannelli bean, pecan and vege salad with a tahini dressing topped with smokey toasted sunflower seeds.
She was given Ottalenghi's Simple cookbook for Xmas from which we had a vege omelette dish, roast vine tomatoes on a yoghurt base, tenderstem broccoli with peanut sauce and stuffed courgettes followed by apple crumble and proper custard. With a little white wine. What a feast!!!
D. Leftover cold salmon and a bit of the bean salad.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast : streaky bacon, grilled with omelette and a slice of Bergen bread. The usual tea.
Lunch : Brie, walnuts and raspberries. Tea.
Dinner : Corn beef, cheese and avocado slices. Stewed rhubarb and Greek yoghurt. One clementine.

Last edited:

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 31875 Just pulled this roasted rhubarb out of the oven and I'm having to use all my will power not to eat it all! The kitchen smells amazing. Roasted for 15 minutes with just sprinkling of erythritol and a some lemon zest. Not sure what it's going to end up in yet!
Rhubarb reminds me of childhood at my nans house - rhubarb filled one corner of her garden. Going have to try some I think - not eaten any in years!

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Crazy day for me playing taxi for my little girl - cheerleading practice both this morning and this afternoon with my own hair appointment in the middle. So not very organised on the food front. Feel a bit of a fraud on this thread some days - need to invest more time in exciting recipes for you all!
B : usual peanut & chocolate protein bar with coffee
More coffee throughout the day
D : the tv is on full blast as we (by we I mean my husband, with me & Ellie feigning slight interest) get ready to cheer on the Wolves. He’s a little gutted not to be at the pub watching it so I was a good wife and have stocked him up on beer and ordered a curry. I’ve got gin with diet lemonade and my curry is LC - ordered the mixed grill of chicken, prawns & lamb tikka and have made my own little side salad to have with it as know theirs comes with serious onion overload

Edited to correct which version of Their I used :banghead:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Crazy day for me playing taxi for my little girl - cheerleading practice both this morning and this afternoon with my own hair appointment in the middle. So not very organised on the food front. Feel a bit of a fraud on this thread some days - need to invest more time in exciting recipes for you all!
B : usual peanut & chocolate protein bar with coffee
More coffee throughout the day
D : the tv is on full blast as we (by we I mean my husband, with me & Ellie feigning slight interest) get ready to cheer on the Wolves. He’s a little gutted not to be at the pub watching it so I was a good wife and have stocked him up on beer and ordered a curry. I’ve got gin with diet lemonade and my curry is LC - ordered the mixed grill of chicken, prawns & lamb tikka and have made my own little side salad to have with it as know theirs comes with serious onion overload

Edited to correct which version of Their I used :banghead:
I will be cheering Man U. :D

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After a pretty stressful week, I've done very little today. The weather has been dreadful here with flood warnings (the river at the bottom of our garden is running very high and fast!). Today has been full of good things food wise:

Breakfast: Strawberry chia pudding with almonds. Black coffee.
Mid morning: Almond milk cappuccino with a splash of cream
Lunch: Smoked turkey breast, burrata, radicchio, heritage toms, small amount of red onion, olives, EVO and ACV. Served with half a Diet Doctor roll. Afterwards we had the other half of the roll with some LC Nutella.
Afternoon: Another almond milk cappuccino
Dinner: Thai green chicken curry with green beans and served with cauli rice. A couple of strawberries dipped in 85% Lindt choc and cream. Decaf coffee brewing now.

Any ideas why coconut cream is lower in carbs than coconut milk? It could just be a variance in brands I guess? I just used Blue Dragon coconut cream at 1.9 carbs per 100ml. I checked the can of coconut milk I had in (Morrison's) and it is 3.3g per 100ml. I just added some water to let down the cream, as it is much thicker than the milk. It worked fine and lower in carbs as a result.

Last edited:

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all
@BibaBee loving look of that rhubarb - mine is only about 2” long so far so a fair bit longer to wait! I love cooking and eating rhubarb with lots of ginger it’s good mixed in with yoghurt. Things are sprouting in the garden but nothing useable yet. Now can’t wait!
@zauberflote pleased you’re slowly recovering - I hate feeling under the weather
@ianpspurs must be hard fasting on a cold, wet rainy day if weather in east like it has been here would imagine the broth was essential. Flood barriers got put up today here in Bewdley - the river Severn has almost gone over and is predicted to keep rising.
@DJC3 like you I found I ate more than planned but very busy working day and food helped me through it!
Breakfast bacon, egg and mushrooms
Lunch lots of walnuts and almonds, lc seeded crispbreads with sardines in olive oil followed by decaf coffee and two squares 95% choc
Dinner chicken curry, seeded crispbreads, two glasses of gin and soda water followed by lc lemon mousse and yoghurt more decaf coffee in a bit.
We're on flood watch too! I have to confess that the rhubarb is courtesy of Ocado and not home grown.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: lime coconut and mango chicken with cauliflower and broccoli salad and pork scratchings followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon at Nero’s: coconut cappuccino with a chocolate brownie phd bar.
Dinner: Chinese takeaway! Crispy duck, two small pancakes and the merest smudge of sauce with veggies, followed by Coffee chia pudding with LC chocolate granola.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Thanks @DJC3 and @Goonergal for your kind wishes -- the headache only lasted an hour, the water and the ibuprofen helped, after this I felt fine.

@maglil55 -- The squid is a great idea -- I have some in my freezer.

@Goonergal -- I made some sauce with onion, carrot, a bit tomato paste and red wine first, then added the ox cheek, and made sure it was covered by the liquid, I then put the lidded pot in the oven for several hours. Used the fork to check if they were tender.

Breakfast: Woke up very early again (fortunately without the headache though) and had some DD keto bread with butter, later two double decaffeinated espressos with cream.

Lunch: Nothing.

Early dinner: A salad of lamb's lettuce, grated Gouda, three baby tomatoes with Ranch dressing, half a bowl of soup, and a slice of keto poppy seed cake with whipped cream. Half a glass of red wine.

If I get hungry before bed, might have some chicken liver pate or cheese later.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
View attachment 31875 Just pulled this roasted rhubarb out of the oven and I'm having to use all my will power not to eat it all! The kitchen smells amazing. Roasted for 15 minutes with just sprinkling of erythritol and a some lemon zest. Not sure what it's going to end up in yet!
Looks really good. I was tempted in Morrisons today as they had a few packs but I have something else in mind for tomorrow.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I can do tha-at! I thought everybody was talking about “fries”, as in, “would you like fries/chips with that?” ! Roasting could have the same result I think. I tend to roast to near oblivion anyway. Charred roast veg are pretty tasty even if nobody else thinks so :hilarious:
I've had some carbon veggie chips (fries) the past few days because I forgot about them! Some had to be consigned to the bin.

Reactions: zauberflote

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all. A carnivore OMAD day today. Dinner was short rib beef done to perfection in the slow cooker. Yum.

@Chook Lewisham Odeon, that brings back memories! Needless to say, it’s long gone.

@DJC3 I’ll let you know about the mercy dash.

@ziggy_w and @zauberflote hope you feel better soon.

Bit of advice needed. Having seen a few of you raving about ox cheek I bought some from the butcher today - how long in the slow cooker? About half a kilo. Thanks.
Son sous vides them and cooks them a really long time. I agree with @DCUKMod it will require a while. I would say 8 - 10 hrs on low. I usually brown them in a pan first and would add veggies then transfer to the slow cooker. Deglaze the pan with red wine then add that to the cooker (according to son) and some thyme. Son also adds red currant jelly to the wine but the sugars are a bit on the high side for me.

Reactions: Goonergal and DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did mine in the IP too but I’d guess at least 8hrs in the slow cooker. Longer if possible. I dont think you could overcook them if you were doing them slowly.
Agree son can have his in the sous vide 24 hrs

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Keep on getting such good ideas from this thread, thank you all!

Breakfast: Coffee with cream because heaven knows I'm not consistent.
Lunch: Omelette with bacon lardons and mushrooms
Dinner: Chicken thigh and wing with green salad and garlic herb butter melted on top

D

Deleted member 308541

Here's a couple of pix of what like my prawn omelettes look like when I have some to spare

Before flip.

GjO3dWM.jpg

After flip.

1f1Mby8.jpg