What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
BB1E4669-EDFB-4669-82F5-F9EF2F68267D.jpeg
Just pulled this roasted rhubarb out of the oven and I'm having to use all my will power not to eat it all! The kitchen smells amazing. Roasted for 15 minutes with just sprinkling of erythritol and a some lemon zest. Not sure what it's going to end up in yet!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 31875 Just pulled this roasted rhubarb out of the oven and I'm having to use all my will power not to eat it all! The kitchen smells amazing. Roasted for 15 minutes with just sprinkling of erythritol and a some lemon zest. Not sure what it's going to end up in yet!

Lovely, I can almost smell it from here!

Reactions: maglil55

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Welcome, @Alyssa !
@dunelm and others who do aubergine (eggplant, right?) fries, do you have to peel it and soak in salt and whatnot first?
My big challenge for today besides keeping sinuses and lungs clear - don’t eat so much. My comfort food when sick is honey toast on spelt bread, and plain butter while imagining honey and bread is a poor substitute, I tried that yesterday!. Yesterday the cookie aisle was very tempting, as was the leftover corn bread. Thankfully, the brownies didn’t even cause a blip. Today, so far feeling somewhat better, I hope to at least keep the “lc treaties” (great phrase @Goonergal ) to a minimum. Perhaps keep lunch to super bulletproof chix broth that awaits me...
Bfast will be 1/2 a seriously under ripe avocado but I am getting a little sick of scrambled eggs, good ol’ boiled egg, decaf/soy/cream with 1-2 (who am I kidding, definitely two) sq 90% Lindt choc
Lunch not sure what I’ll end up doing
Snacks salted chicken broth yummy
Supper either leftover chili or an almond butter tortilla is the goal. With spinach and celery. However, if the girls declare tonight fish night or eating out night, all bets off. If out, will def have salmon! If fish night, we always used to do swordfish until one sis went kosher, so they’ll have codfish, ick, and the ZF’s will have swordfish broiled with mayo and pepper, yumyum.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@BibaBee that rhubarb is really calling to me. Might have to buy some, reluctant only because its just me who likes it. I wonder if it would freeze well.
Re eyes i have no idea when I’ll be seen but will chase the hospital this coming week. I think I had D for a long time before dx also and I have also steadily reduced nos in the last year.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome, @Alyssa !
@dunelm and others who do aubergine (eggplant, right?) fries, do you have to peel it and soak in salt and whatnot first?
My big challenge for today besides keeping sinuses and lungs clear - don’t eat so much. My comfort food when sick is honey toast on spelt bread, and plain butter while imagining honey and bread is a poor substitute, I tried that yesterday!. Yesterday the cookie aisle was very tempting, as was the leftover corn bread. Thankfully, the brownies didn’t even cause a blip. Today, so far feeling somewhat better, I hope to at least keep the “lc treaties” (great phrase @Goonergal ) to a minimum. Perhaps keep lunch to super bulletproof chix broth that awaits me...
Bfast will be 1/2 a seriously under ripe avocado but I am getting a little sick of scrambled eggs, good ol’ boiled egg, decaf/soy/cream with 1-2 (who am I kidding, definitely two) sq 90% Lindt choc
Supper either leftover chili or an almond butter tortilla is the goal. With spinach and celery. However, if the girls declare tonight fish night or eating out night, all bets off. If out, will def have salmon! If fish night, we always used to do swordfish until one sis went kosher, so they’ll have codfish, ick, and the ZF’s will have swordfish broiled with mayo and pepper, yumyum.

Hi @zauberflote - I don’t bother with the salt and whatnot for the aubergine/eggplant if they are going under the grill or into the actifry basket. Nice recipe here; http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/13423/grilled-aubergine.aspx

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@BibaBee that rhubarb is really calling to me. Might have to buy some, reluctant only because its just me who likes it. I wonder if it would freeze well.
Re eyes i have no idea when I’ll be seen but will chase the hospital this coming week. I think I had D for a long time before dx also and I have also steadily reduced nos in the last year.
Yes, it freezes either cooked or raw. It will lose it's shape a little if you freeze it cooked, but if you plan to make it into a LC crumble or stirred through yoghurt, that won't matter.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome, @Alyssa !
Aubergine (eggplant to you - correct). If I am making crisps (your chips) then I salt and put the slices on paper kitchen towel for a while to get as much liquid out as possible.
If I'm making chips (your fries) then I just cut, coat in whatever I'm using and fry.
I dont go overboard on any oil since as you know they are thirsty little so and sos!
I dont peel either.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Hi @zauberflote - I don’t bother with the salt and whatnot for the aubergine/eggplant if they are going under the grill or into the actifry basket. Nice recipe here; http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/13423/grilled-aubergine.aspx

Well I can do tha-at! I thought everybody was talking about “fries”, as in, “would you like fries/chips with that?” ! Roasting could have the same result I think. I tend to roast to near oblivion anyway. Charred roast veg are pretty tasty even if nobody else thinks so :hilarious:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Aubergine (eggplant to you - correct). If I am making crisps (your chips) then I salt and put the slices on paper kitchen towel for a while to get as much liquid out as possible.
If I'm making chips (your fries) then I just cut, coat in whatever I'm using and fry.
I dont go overboard on any oil since as you know they are thirsty little so and sos!
I dont peel either.

Actually I have only cooked eggplant once, in a parmesan, 40 years ago. Mr ZF saw right through that ploy and I’ve never bought it since! One of my m-i-l’s carers used to make The Best fried eggplant, and she’d always make enough for me. Must try!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Cocoa for breakfast then pots of tea including lemon green tea. Chicken stock - suddenly had an insane craving for that - hot, salty and warming. No doubt I will have more tea.

Are you fasting? :)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. A carnivore OMAD day today. Dinner was short rib beef done to perfection in the slow cooker. Yum.

@Chook Lewisham Odeon, that brings back memories! Needless to say, it’s long gone.

@DJC3 I’ll let you know about the mercy dash.

@ziggy_w and @zauberflote hope you feel better soon.

Bit of advice needed. Having seen a few of you raving about ox cheek I bought some from the butcher today - how long in the slow cooker? About half a kilo. Thanks.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. A carnivore OMAD day today. Dinner was short rib beef done to perfection in the slow cooker. Yum.

@Chook Lewisham Odeon, that brings back memories! Needless to say, it’s long gone.

@DJC3 I’ll let you know about the mercy dash.

@ziggy_w and @zauberflote hope you feel better soon.

Bit of advice needed. Having seen a few of you raving about ox cheek I bought some from the butcher today - how long in the slow cooker? About half a kilo. Thanks.

Just heading off, but on cheek needs a lot of cooking. I've only ever done it in the IP, so pretty useless to you really, except give it plenty of time.

If done correct, they can become velvety.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@ianpspurs snap! I bought a chicken yesterday for just the broth.
Thanks @Goonergal ! More human today definitely.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Did mine in the IP too but I’d guess at least 8hrs in the slow cooker. Longer if possible. I dont think you could overcook them if you were doing them slowly.

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hoping to minimise food and number of meals today, but it wasn’t to be.
Did a bit of baking. More of the Hemsley flaxseed buns and @Goonergal ‘s cream cheese brownies.

B: DD breakfast sandwich
L: Tin of mackerel in olive oil with avocado and a bit of salad. One of the brownies to follow
D: Chilli using @shelley262 ‘s suggestion of black olives in place of kidney beans. Cauli rice and a dollop of sour cream as my chilli flakes hand slipped while adding them, and it was v hot. Lc Bounty to follow.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 31875 Just pulled this roasted rhubarb out of the oven and I'm having to use all my will power not to eat it all! The kitchen smells amazing. Roasted for 15 minutes with just sprinkling of erythritol and a some lemon zest. Not sure what it's going to end up in yet!
Nice. I had stewed rhubarb today and yesterday - lots of it. I really enjoy it. But have gone out of my way to eat it most recently as I get a bit bunged up on my current dieting strategy.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
@BibaBee loving look of that rhubarb - mine is only about 2” long so far so a fair bit longer to wait! I love cooking and eating rhubarb with lots of ginger it’s good mixed in with yoghurt. Things are sprouting in the garden but nothing useable yet. Now can’t wait!
@zauberflote pleased you’re slowly recovering - I hate feeling under the weather
@ianpspurs must be hard fasting on a cold, wet rainy day if weather in east like it has been here would imagine the broth was essential. Flood barriers got put up today here in Bewdley - the river Severn has almost gone over and is predicted to keep rising.
@DJC3 like you I found I ate more than planned but very busy working day and food helped me through it!
Breakfast bacon, egg and mushrooms
Lunch lots of walnuts and almonds, lc seeded crispbreads with sardines in olive oil followed by decaf coffee and two squares 95% choc
Dinner chicken curry, seeded crispbreads, two glasses of gin and soda water followed by lc lemon mousse and yoghurt more decaf coffee in a bit.