What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For those wondering about quantities in my earlier post details below. Also cover what have you eaten today in chronological order. Egg etc all mixed up at 14.00; brisket etc as a casserole @ 18.20 ish followed by chocolate eventually
View attachment 31917

@DJC3 and @BibaBee Re crumble - we have used almond flour, crushed walnuts and combo of milled flaxseed and inulin as per CCBs. Also some inulin sprinkled on top and blow torched once cooked.

Ah inulin! Great, hadn’t thought of that thanks.

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
First thing coffee and cream to power my early morning swim of 50 lengths plus gym work. ( I’m trying to do two regular weekly early morning gym and swim sessions mainly to combat stress)
Brunch one boiled egg and buttered lc seeded crispbreads ( I feel I’ve perfected my recipe and it’s only seeds and psyllium husk so very low carb but crunchy and a brilliant bread replacement) only prob is I need to make them every few days as OH also loves them!)
Dinner 2 lamb loin cutlets served on bed of buttered sweetheart cabbage with half glass red wine followed by SF jelly and yoghurt.
Have a good evening all.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just seen this, its Pollo Diavola (chilli and herb marinated chicken) served on a bed of spinach and a potato and parmesan cake which I am sure could easily be a celeriac and parmesan cake.
going to have a go at the weekend.

FB_IMG_1553021196002.jpg

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
First thing coffee and cream to power my early morning swim of 50 lengths plus gym work. ( I’m trying to do two regular weekly early morning gym and swim sessions mainly to combat stress)
Brunch one boiled egg and buttered lc seeded crispbreads ( I feel I’ve perfected my recipe and it’s only seeds and psyllium husk so very low carb but crunchy and a brilliant bread replacement) only prob is I need to make them every few days as OH also loves them!)
Dinner 2 lamb loin cutlets served on bed of buttered sweetheart cabbage with half glass red wine followed by SF jelly and yoghurt.
Have a good evening all.
Your seeded cripsbreads sound good. Are they on your CMT and available to share?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
They are a much changed and adapted recipe I’ll put main pc on and copy and paste for you in a few mins x

Could you share them in here???? I'm not on CMT but I could really do with a good crispbread recipe. Please. :shy:

Reactions: maglil55

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Just seen this, its Pollo Diavola (chilli and herb marinated chicken) served on a bed of spinach and a potato and parmesan cake which I am sure could easily be a celeriac and parmesan cake.
going to have a go at the weekend.

View attachment 31918

Wow that looks yummy!! All round to yours for dinner at the weekend then!! ;)

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@dunelm - hope you enjoy and @Chook as requested for you too
Id recommend the hemp hearts @zauberflote drew my attention to these and Im addicted to them

Seeded Crispbreads

4 grams of carb for whole mix if 40 crispbreads each crispbread is 0.1 of carb.

Makes 40 crispbreads using a 2” square cutter or you could just cut out to size wanted with a knife

Equipment:

Need 2 large flat oven trays – you can use oiled greaseproof paper to cook them on but I’ve found it more economical and easier to buy washable and reusable oven proof silicone tray liners – which you don’t need to oil. (I use three of them using two to roll out on and then pop into the oven trays and one to use on top - which I use to make rolling out much easier as it doesn’t stick to the liner)

Ingredients

• 150g of Dry ingredients in total - I now use the following but you could do a mix of ground and whole seeds that you like:

o 80g of milled seeds could use just ground flaxseed but I used a mix of flaxseed, sunflower and pumpkin seeds and think it added more flavour to the mix (Linwood’s or Aldi’s version and used this as my carb count)

o 20 g of Psyllium Husk

o 30 g of whole hemp heart seeds – these are shelled and very soft and nutty

o 20g of whole mixed seeds

o Some ground psyllium husk powder for rolling out the crispbreads

• Seasoning to taste I used a mix of salt, a few herbs and pepper

• 2 tablespoon of olive oil and 9 tablespoons of water (you may need a bit extra when mixing you’ll need to judge it to make sure good sticky texture)

Method

1. Put oven on to 160 fan – or equivalent

2. Mix water and oil

3. Mix liquids with dry ingredients - adding more Psyllium Husk if very sticky or more water if very dry and not binding into a ball for rolling out. Go steady as Psyllium Husk takes a few mins to thicken so don’t overdo it. You'll need to stand for a few mins to allow it to swell, as it will.

4. Sprinkle powdered Psyllium Husk onto the two silicone tray lines and tip half the dough out on each sheet and using another sheet and rolling pin roll and press out until as thin as possible - the thinner the better. Do one and then the other. Once rolled out remove the top silicone mat that’s only to assist the rolling out.

5. When you’ve got a rectangle the size of the silicone mat, press out the size and shapes of crispbread required. Or just cut the shape you want. You should be able to spread them out on the mat and then when completed just put into the oven tray - should make about 20 on each tray, if thin enough. They don’t spread so can be quite close together for baking

6. Bake in oven for 35 mins - checking and then leaving longer and/or in a cooling oven if not crisp enough. I tend always to leave them for a least a couple of hours in a cooling oven until they are quite crunchy. If you don’t manage to roll them out thinly enough and they are thick or too wet they will need a longer cook. They should snap a bit before you turn the oven off if at all chewy because of thickness cook them for longer!

if you have a go at them let me know if you like them or not. They do last in a tin for more than a week but rarely last as long as that in our house! I find I nibble them at times when looking for a lc snack but they go with so many things.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Time I made another batch of your crispbreads @shelley262 I can vouch for how good they are.

I’ve had a day of inexplicably high bs readings today - just to get me back for feeling chuffed about low reading recently.
Woke to a 5.7 so decided to fast until dinner which would be around 30hrs ( last ate at lunch yesterday) gradually went down to 5.1 by mid aft but then surprise! Before dinner was 6.5!!! I could almost laugh.
Had dinner anyway - chicken breast stuffed with cheese and pesto with roast veg ( aubergine, courgette, cauli, pepper) then Greek yoghurt and a couple of small bits baked rhubarb.
Down to 6.0 at 2 hrs but I havent had a 6 anywhere for ages so Ive no idea what’s going on.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@dunelm - hope you enjoy and @Chook as requested for you too
Id recommend the hemp hearts @zauberflote drew my attention to these and Im addicted to them

Seeded Crispbreads

4 grams of carb for whole mix if 40 crispbreads each crispbread is 0.1 of carb.

Makes 40 crispbreads using a 2” square cutter or you could just cut out to size wanted with a knife

Equipment:

Need 2 large flat oven trays – you can use oiled greaseproof paper to cook them on but I’ve found it more economical and easier to buy oven proof silicone tray liners – which you don’t need to oil. (I use three of them using two to roll out on and then pop into the oven trays and one to use on top - which I use to make rolling out much easier as it doesn’t stick to the liner)

Ingredients

• 150g of Dry ingredients in total - I now use the following but you could do a mix of ground and whole seeds that you like:

o 80g of milled seeds could use just ground flaxseed but I used a mix of flaxseed, sunflower and pumpkin seeds and think it added more flavour to the mix (Linwood’s or Aldi’s version and used this as my carb count)

o 20 g of Psyllium Husk

o 30 g of whole hemp heart seeds – these are shelled and very soft and nutty

o 20g of whole mixed seeds

o Some ground psyllium husk powder for rolling out the crispbreads

• Seasoning to taste I used a mix of salt, a few herbs and pepper

• 2 tablespoon of olive oil and 9 tablespoons of water (you may need a bit extra when mixing you’ll need to judge it to make sure good sticky texture)

Method

1. Put oven on to 160 fan – or equivalent

2. Mix water and oil

3. Mix liquids with dry ingredients - adding more Psyllium Husk if very sticky or more water if very dry and not binding into a ball for rolling out. Go steady as Psyllium Husk takes a few mins to thicken so don’t overdo it. You'll need to stand for a few mins to allow it to swell, as it will.

4. Sprinkle powdered Psyllium Husk onto the two silicone tray lines and tip half the dough out on each sheet and using another sheet and rolling pin roll and press out until as thin as possible - the thinner the better. Do one and then the other. Once rolled out remove the top silicone mat that’s only to assist the rolling out.

5. When you’ve got a rectangle the size of the silicone mat, press out the size and shapes of crispbread required. Or just cut the shape you want. You should be able to spread them out on the mat and then when completed just put into the oven tray - should make about 20 on each tray, if thin enough. They don’t spread so can be quite close together for baking

6. Bake in oven for 35 mins - checking and then leaving longer and/or in a cooling oven if not crisp enough. I tend always to leave them for a least a couple of hours in a cooling oven until they are quite crunchy. If you don’t manage to roll them out thinly enough and they are thick or too wet they will need a longer cook. They should snap a bit before you turn the oven off if at all chewy because of thickness cook them for longer!

if you have a go at them let me know if you like them or not. They do last in a tin for more than a week but rarely last as long as that in our house! I find I nibble them at times when looking for a lc snack but they go with so many things.

Oh these look wonderful. Will make up a batch this weekend. Thank you @shelley262

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone, we've safely landed in North Wales. We arrived quite late on yesterday, so I didn't really get chance to post.

I'm know craving crumble @DJC3, despite just eating loads for dinner !

Today has been quite indulgent food wise.

Breakfast: CWC (@Caeseji I've stolen your acronym!)
Brunch: LC almond flour pancakes with maple flavoured LC sugar free syrup with streaky bacon. More CWC. This used to be a regular weekend brunch for us pre Mr B's diagnosis. So pleased to have it back on the menu!
Mid afternoon: Americano with cream for Mr B, cappuccino for me in a lovely café with sea view.
Dinner: Cod lion wrapped in prosciutto with roasted cherry tomatoes, tenderstem broccoli and green beans. Dessert of almond choc chip LC mug cake with thick cream. Decaf coffee to follow shortly.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Happy you landed okay @BibaBee and yeeeees the CWC acronym shall spread! Hahaha, I'm flattered!

Today was the true inauguration of the OMAD for me!

Breakfast: CWC as always
Lunch: Nada
Dinner: Large gammon steak with buttery cabbage and garlic salted mushrooms with a handful of nuts and smoked cheese

Went into my work out with a good heft of energy despite the long day! Wishing you all well!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cold roast chicken and pistachios with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: raspberry chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: chicken supreme with roasted Mediterranean vegetables followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Still paying for last night’s Ikea trip - @Emma_369 I did manage a mad dash on Sunday - in and out in 40 minutes. Last night I spent a bit longer and then decided to assemble a chest of drawers once I got home. Bed at 1.30am and up not much after 4.30am. Early to bed tonight. @DCUKMod LOL. Half the fun of Ikea is finding all the things you never knew you needed.

Lunch today was smoked salmon and and M&S whipped creamy cheese - found some more @DJC3

Dinner - a mini-forum rendezvous with @Diakat at Five Guys. Bunless bacon cheeseburger with mayonnaise and a touch of raw onion. They did their best to make me eat more veg by wrapping in lettuce rather than putting in a bowl, but it was discarded as enthusiastically as the bun! Talk of almond butter at dinner has led to a dessert at home of a single serve of said butter with extra thick double cream.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast : Slice of toasted Burgan bread with liver pate again.
Lunch : One apple. Two slices of corned beef.
Dinner : Slow cooked chicken breast in a tomato and garlic sauce, with roasted mixed low carb friendly veggies
Supper : walnuts, peanuts and Brie cheese.

All washed down with mugs of tea.

Edit : oh and a small bag of sugar free liquorice. :D

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh....and in other news, I tried on a size 12 pair of jeans in M&S today and they fitted! This time last year my size 18 jeans felt tight! Sorry to derail the thread with non food related stuff, but I have to share my joy!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh....and in other news, I tried on a size 12 pair of jeans in M&S today and they fitted! This time last year my size 18 jeans felt tight! Sorry to derail the thread with non food related stuff, but I have to share my joy!

Brilliant, congratulations! Such a good feeling.

Reactions: maglil55