What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well my orange almond shortbread didnt turn out well. Its just ground almonds, melted butter and orange essence. I cut the cylinder thinly and got 21 biscuits the recipe said cook at 190 for 15 mins till light brown. I thought that temp was too high so did 180 but after 8 mins they were light brown so I turned oven right down to 120 and gave them 20. Ins in total. They smelt gorge but when they cooked they were soft and though I left them all day they didnt harden. So disappointed. If I was to try them again I would do half the quantity and cook in a much cooler oven. I dont think the fault was they were too thick. Any ideas welcome.

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Jeeeeeeez...

Today was a rough one, nine and a half hours of work left me frazzled. Ended up doing OMAD but probably not the best...

Breakfast: CWC as always
Lunch: Small chicken salad with some cheese, had to leave some because I didn't notice the mould...
Dinner: Peperami around an hour after the late lunch

Got hit hard with the nostalgia and regret as the boss brought in some burgers and fries along with some garlic bread with cheese and watching him and my workmates eating and having to refuse it all slightly broke my heart. Set off my anxiety about my condition and WOE again even though I really loved my salad besides the cheese but still with it being early days this hit me like a sledgehammer.

I completey understand the misery/ nostalgia over old eating habits. I felt the same when I realised I’d never again stop in a lovely National Trust cafe ( or any other tea shop) for tea and cake!
I really don’t mind now though, I don’t know when the transformation occured but I’m happy it did.
Sympathies re cheese- it’s happened to me loads of times!

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6yo completed her first Taekwondo grading today. :D

Well done to her! I don’t know if it’s anything like judo but I used to do that at her age, one of my best memories is flooring one of the bigger boys who’d pushed in front of me in the dinner queue at school just with a flick of my leg round his ankle. His friends laughed and I was the hero of the hour and never got picked on again.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Afternoon all. Posting now as another busy night and my food is done for the day
B : 2 squares green & black mint chocolate with coffee
L: 2 chicken breast, 3 babybel, 4 cherry tomatoes and a dollop of coleslaw
More coffee this afternoon
Tonight’s crazy fun is home to a visit from the in-laws :meh: then more coursework then more swimming. Someone remind me next life around that a house with its own indoor pool will be such a time -saving investment! ;)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done to her! I don’t know if it’s anything like judo but I used to do that at her age, one of my best memories is flooring one of the bigger boys who’d pushed in front of me in the dinner queue at school just with a flick of my leg round his ankle. His friends laughed and I was the hero of the hour and never got picked on again.
LOL.

No it is a little different to Judo. It’s all kicks, punches and blocks. But with a similar aim in mind. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zauberflote Glad you are feeling better. Thank you for your kind words, did manage to finish the tapestry. ( approx 12 years in the making) Colors were correct, amazing how different they look in artificial light. Now need two pieces of backing fabric. Have a suspicion that stitching is not helping my RSI problem in shoulder, so its likely to be the last ever.
18-03
XBX level 16
Breakfast, the last of the mixed granolas. with milk, out of cream. umm...whats for breakfast tomorrow?
Need to make more. Going to try a different recipe.
Have also found a recipe for low carb bread that looks wonderful. Shame it doesn't give the nutritional details.
Off to buy ingredients for both tomorrow. before going to the dentist. Wish me luck. Not very good with dentists, had some bad experiences and some very expensive ones.
lunch: Slice of burgen toast with a tin of mackerel in tomato sauce. 2 tiny clementines, Chunk of cheese and slice of ham to increase protein and calories. Coffee.
Dinner: 100g roast chicken, 80g potatoes, 40g carrot and 80g french beans, splash of gravy. 100g yoghurt and 25g berries. Glass of water and one of wine.
Supper: couple of chunks of Comte, cup of tea

Wow! Well done for finishing that 12yr tapestry marathon, sorry about the rsi though.
@Rachox has a very good recipe for chocolate granola I’d recommend.
Good luck at the dentist: One of the stupidest things I’ve ever done was to eat a fried egg sandwich before the anaesthetic had worn off - the egg white has exactly the same texture as one’s tongue - with horrible consequences.

Reactions: maglil55 and Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SlimLizzy here’s my low carb granola recipe, it’s an amalgamation of several other recipes I found:
41042437-0308-4281-9E0D-80D9EEE2E595.jpeg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To save me going mad trying to minimise total carbs do these numbers look about right for what folks use - come from cronometer
upload_2019-3-19_17-27-1.png

Green and Blacks matches website and package and avocado matches Waitrose although both slightly higher. Total carbs are much higher e.g. G and B 7.9

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To save me going mad trying to minimise total carbs do these numbers look about right for what folks use - come from cronometer
View attachment 31916
Green and Blacks matches website and package and avocado matches Waitrose although both slightly higher. Total carbs are much higher e.g. G and B 7.9
Am I missing something? What is the weight, amount or volume of each item? Also the almond milk I use is carb free, also cheddar and mushrooms I count as zero as they are less than 1g per 100g

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch; 2 eggs, 2 rashers bacon, 1 round black pudding and koffy.

Dinner; remains of yesterdays stew with a 90 second mug bread..
This time, I soaked a small desert spoon full of chia seeds in 5 x volume of water and then incorporated into the mug bread mix and was rewarded with a nice, moist, mug bread.
Add on: tastes great toasted and smothered in butter.

For those using Chia , have a deco at this website - chia jam looks good:
https://www.thelist.com/30324/youre-probably-eating-chia-seeds-wrong/

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For those wondering about quantities in my earlier post details below. Also covers what have you eaten today in chronological order. Egg etc all mixed up at 14.00; brisket etc as a casserole @ 18.20 ish followed by chocolate eventually
upload_2019-3-19_18-3-22.png

@DJC3 and @BibaBee Re crumble - we have used almond flour, crushed walnuts and combo of milled flaxseed and inulin as per CCBs. Also some inulin sprinkled on top and blow torched once cooked.

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Jeeeeeeez...

Today was a rough one, nine and a half hours of work left me frazzled. Ended up doing OMAD but probably not the best...

Breakfast: CWC as always
Lunch: Small chicken salad with some cheese, had to leave some because I didn't notice the mould...
Dinner: Peperami around an hour after the late lunch

Got hit hard with the nostalgia and regret as the boss brought in some burgers and fries along with some garlic bread with cheese and watching him and my workmates eating and having to refuse it all slightly broke my heart. Set off my anxiety about my condition and WOE again even though I really loved my salad besides the cheese but still with it being early days this hit me like a sledgehammer.
Takes me back to the times when my boss brought in pizza for the graduate employees I was teaching. And occasionally some were allergic to gluten. Not many. I cannot remember how we dealt with that but the pizza occasions stuck in my mind.