What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@SlimLizzy this move is getting to be very real....
@Listlad my PCP who was moving to a less stressful position (think US paperwork for 3-4 hrs after your patient day is done) chatted a little on that occasion about how her kids were 9 and 11, and wouldn’t like her for much longer, so she wanted their memory of her NOT to be “Mom is always on the computer when she gets home”. Uncharacteristically candid, but as I was very concerned for her sanity already, I asked a few conversational questions.
Hope all gardening etc is going well for everyone!
Bfast usual 1/2 avocado, egg, skyr/mustard mix, DWSAC for 90%choc
Lunch 2 cans seltzer, some chix broth
Doing Taxes: I have never done my tax prep work without a treat, and never with a growling stomach. Often hot chocolate, or nuts. So I went for broke today and made a DWC and opened the erythritol. It was a light sweetness. Didn’t shut my growls up but got me to 6:00. Not going to get addicted to erythritol anytime soon I think.
Supper celery, bed of wilted spinach with a little leftovers from tin of sardines, hm dressing. Palmful of macadamias, chunk of cheese, the last of the mug bread.
Snack skyr bulletproofed w EVOO
While I was eating supper, I made actual pork loin “chops” for Mr ZF! From @Goonergal ‘s CMT but I clicked through to the IP version. Pork chops with a creamy sauce, baby new potatoes, and avocado served to him. He liked it at 3/5 stars. Tuna noodle casserole is a 5, go figure. He’s as bad as my father was.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday was pretty disastrous food wise. I went to a charity lunch function where food was made by 2 very talented colleagues - have been to their houses for food before. It was all vegan, which of course sounds healthy, but certainly not LC. Not sure how vegan diabetics manage!
B - strawberries, Greek yoghurt
L - hummus, pitta, samosas, pakoras, vegan chocolate cake (needless to say I didn't dare test BG after this:oops:)
D - spinach & broccoli curry soup which was surprisingly tasteless despite all the spices I put in. Couldn't taste the coconut milk either.

A kind friend has brought me a bag of coconut flour over from the UK so I will open my Pintrest folders again and rediscover some recipes. Happy Sunday everyone!

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today’s cooking project with the little one. Just need some sour cream from across the road.
Ok I know this is an odd question, but is gone off cream the same as sour cream? I have cream in my fridge that has gone off. Loathed to throw it away and wondered if I can use it in this recipe instead of buying actual sour cream...?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok I know this is an odd question, but is gone off cream the same as sour cream? I have cream in my fridge that has gone off. Loathed to throw it away and wondered if I can use it in this recipe instead of buying actual sour cream...?

Don’t do it!

Sour cream used to be proper unpasteurised cream, where bacteria soured it without it going off. A bit like yogurt or kefir.

Nowadays all those bacteria are killed off with the pasteurisation and cream now goes putrid and VERY inedible.

So what is now sold as ‘soured cream’ is pasteurised cream which has been deliberately soured with acid. You can do it yourself with lemon if you can’t buy it. Google can tell you how :)

Unless your normal milk/cream supply is unpasteurised? In which case you may be able to let nature take its course.

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn’t get to post yesterday so will do it now before fogetting, then have a catch up on everyone else’s.
B: 2 poached eggs on wilted spinach and fried mushrooms
Late morning: glass of champagne
Spend the day at my friend’s health club, very relaxing. Did a bit of proper swimming but mostly lolloping. A nice facial included and lunch somewhere along the line which was
Cheese and mushroom omelette with spinach and avocado salad ( pretty much what I had for breakfast I realised afterwards, just in a different form)
Back to hers later to finish the champagne with olives and quite a large block of manchego cheese which we demolished.
A jolly nice day

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, the egg stall on our Friday market sells a variety of eggs and I like these. Wash the shells, pop into a container, cover with brine and leave for about three weeks - four if you like them more salty.
Tip for when you have a go; heat water before adding salt to make sure you saturate, then let go cold. I put a zip lock bag with a bit of water in to weigh the eggs down.
I tried balut once - just the once - no t-shirt either.

So they are raw when you put them in the brine? I was imagining something like a pickled egg. Does it matter how you cook them afterwards?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So they are raw when you put them in the brine? I was imagining something like a pickled egg. Does it matter how you cook them afterwards?

Hopefully this'll help a bit. https://delishably.com/dairy/Salted-Eggs-Recipe

In Asia, they can be found in supermarkets and markets both already cooked and uncooked. I'll be giving a small batch a go when at home.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks - Ive sent to my daughter who is a halophile and loves eggs.
Wonderful word halophile I’ve been looking for a descriptor of a salt addict ! My mum has always been one and I’m increasingly so although use lo salt to balance with potassium!
Your spa day sounded great pleased you enjoyed.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all.

Note to self: don’t go AWOL for over a week. Way too much catching up to do! AWOLness due to mega sorting and clearing of my flat in prep for the decorators coming in. 27 years worth of clutter shoved into cupboards to declutter. Just about done now although yesterday was so physically exhausting (involved dismantling of very large piece of furniture with a hammer and brute force) I fell asleep on the sofa very early in the evening and had to drag my sleepy self into bed at 7pm. As a result up insanely (even by my standards) early.

@Brunneria our brains must be aligned. Have gone seriously off piste - plenty of carnivorous stuff but supplemented by way, way too much almond butter, cream, cocoa, nuts and high percentage chocolate. Thankfully no kettle chips (they are so moreish). Now battling hunger and need to get back to what my body enjoys. The decluttering and prep for decorators at least means that the storage jar of cocoa and open jar of almond butter are safely at the back of a cupboard.

Acronyms are so last week but @maglil55 and @ianpspurs I need to ask for definitions of the following: TAG with ADOC and GABVEDCM.

@Chook and @Listlad I’m with you on the shopping from loads of shops.

@zauberflote interesting about the chops. I’ve never made that recipe, just saved it as looked interesting.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all.

Note to self: don’t go AWOL for over a week. Way too much catching up to do! AWOLness due to mega sorting and clearing of my flat in prep for the decorators coming in. 27 years worth of clutter shoved into cupboards to declutter. Just about done now although yesterday was so physically exhausting (involved dismantling of very large piece of furniture with a hammer and brute force) I fell asleep on the sofa very early in the evening and had to drag my sleepy self into bed at 7pm. As a result up insanely (even by my standards) early.

@Brunneria our brains must be aligned. Have gone seriously off piste - plenty of carnivorous stuff but supplemented by way, way too much almond butter, cream, cocoa, nuts and high percentage chocolate. Thankfully no kettle chips (they are so moreish). Now battling hunger and need to get back to what my body enjoys. The decluttering and prep for decorators at least means that the storage jar of cocoa and open jar of almond butter are safely at the back of a cupboard.

Acronyms are so last week but @maglil55 and @ianpspurs I need to ask for definitions of the following: TAG with ADOC and GABVEDCM.

@Chook and @Listlad I’m with you on the shopping from loads of shops.

@zauberflote interesting about the chops. I’ve never made that recipe, just saved it as looked interesting.
GABVEDCM. = Green and Blacks Velvet Edition Dark Chocolate Mint. Pity you are so far away smashing things with hammers is my 3rd favourite

Reactions: Goonergal

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Listlad my PCP who was moving to a less stressful position (think US paperwork for 3-4 hrs after your patient day is done) chatted a little on that occasion about how her kids were 9 and 11, and wouldn’t like her for much longer, so she wanted their memory of her NOT to be “Mom is always on the computer when she gets home”. Uncharacteristically candid, but as I was very concerned for her sanity already, I asked a few conversational questions.
We get a fairly fixed 10 minutes here but it is amazing what can be packed into that time. I never used to but do now, engage with them on a more personal level. I think it helps.

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are asking the wrong person. I am inept at cooking etc.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonderful word halophile I’ve been looking for a descriptor of a salt addict ! My mum has always been one and I’m increasingly so although use lo salt to balance with potassium!
Your spa day sounded great pleased you enjoyed.

Haha glad you like the word - it’s in common use in a microbiology lab - describing organisms such as those causing cholera which need extra salt added to their growth medium. Not really for people but I reckon it fits the bill here.
Your day out with Cooper looked great too - and I see you were in a t shirt, no jumper so it was obviously a glorious day up there too.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Listlad you may be pleased to know that on my erranding yesterday I discovered that both my regular pharmacy and my regular grocery store now have my chocolate of choice. I sure am! Hoping it’s not just an Easter thing.
I was going through some receipts from 2014 and ran across one from Easter-time that had one rx and two Cadbury caramel eggs. I confess, my mouth watered... thank goodness I’d just eaten supper!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Successful carnivorous OMAD day today. Dinner was beef short rib. Wasn’t quite enough so followed up with some pork crackling and a small portion of extra thick Jersey cream. No chocolate or almond butter involved.

Need a bit of advice. In my quest to try new cuts/types of meat bought some reduced price oxtail and chicken livers in Waitrose. Oxtail needs using tomorrow. Thinking slow cooker - any idea how long?

Slightly more nervous about the chicken livers - guessing they need frying for not very long. Any suggestions for simple recipes?

Thanks in advance.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Successful carnivorous OMAD day today. Dinner was beef short rib. Wasn’t quite enough so followed up with some pork crackling and a small portion of extra thick Jersey cream. No chocolate or almond butter involved.

Need a bit of advice. In my quest to try new cuts/types of meat bought some reduced price oxtail and chicken livers in Waitrose. Oxtail needs using tomorrow. Thinking slow cooker - any idea how long?

Slightly more nervous about the chicken livers - guessing they need frying for not very long. Any suggestions for simple recipes?

Thanks in advance.

Mmmm
Two excellent choices there!

I would treat the oxtail exactly how you would any other slow cooked beef stew type recipe for the slow cooker.
Personally, I would make the oxtail stew, let it cool, fish out the bones and let the meat fall off, then make a second brew using the bones for bone broth.

As for the chicken livers... love 'em. I pan fry them with lots of butter, a dash of red wine, masses of garlic and a sprinkle of Rosemary.
The way to tell if they are cooked is that they go from soft and flobboly to firm. If in doubt, cut one in half. If the texture is consistent all the way through, they are cooked, even if they still have a slight pink tinge. If they are still red and soft in the middle, then cook them a little longer. You want to avoid over-cooking, because then they will go hard, dry and grainy.

BUT
even if you do over cook them, all is not lost. Just blend them up with a dollop of cream cheese to form a puree and chill.
et voila! pâté :D

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mmmm
Two excellent choices there!

I would treat the oxtail exactly how you would any other slow cooked beef stew type recipe for the slow cooker.
Personally, I would make the oxtail stew, let it cool, fish out the bones and let the meat fall off, then make a second brew using the bones for bone broth.

As for the chicken livers... love 'em. I pan fry them with lots of butter, a dash of red wine, masses of garlic and a sprinkle of Rosemary.
The way to tell if they are cooked is that they go from soft and flobboly to firm. If in doubt, cut one in half. If the texture is consistent all the way through, they are cooked, even if they still have a slight pink tinge. If they are still red and soft in the middle, then cook them a little longer. You want to avoid over-cooking, because then they will go hard, dry and grainy.

BUT
even if you do over cook them, all is not lost. Just blend them up with a dollop of cream cheese to form a puree and chill.
et voila! pâté :D

Thanks. Both sound good, especially the chicken liver recipe. Making pate also sounds good. Chicken liver pate with crispy bacon to scoop it up.....

Reactions: Mongolia and DJC3