What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ahahhhh. But, but,..I have p lenty more gadgets to tempt you with!

I was in the Korean supermarket today and bought quite a big bag of kimchi. They had all sortss of kimchi, but for today I stuck with some cabbage based deliciousness (I hope). I left the Chonggak radish/ponytail radish variant for another day.

I know you do .... that’s what I’m worried about!

Reactions: maglil55

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Weird weather today - absolutely still. The recent rain has perked up my growing fruit and veg wonderfully.

Today...

Breakfast: Baked rhubarb and Turkish yoghurt with flaked almonds on top (lovely combination)
Lunch: Chunk of Wensleydale with cranberries
Dinner: Pan fried duck breasts, baby spinach wilted in the duck fat
Drinks: BDC, SSW

Viv19

Weird weather today - absolutely still. The recent rain has perked up my growing fruit and veg wonderfully.

Today...

Breakfast: Baked rhubarb and Turkish yoghurt with flaked almonds on top (lovely combination)
Lunch: Chunk of Wensleydale with cranberries
Dinner: Pan fried duck breasts, baby spinach wilted in the duck fat
Drinks: BDC, SSW

Baked rhubarb! I love rhubarb but thought I couldn’t eat it because of the amount of sugar it needs. Does baking it make it less sour? What do you do?
Your menu sounds delicious

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Baked rhubarb! I love rhubarb but thought I couldn’t eat it because of the amount of sugar it needs. Does baking it make it less sour? What do you do?
Your menu sounds delicious

I didn't use sugar (haven't got any nowadays - just to be on the safe side) - I cut the rhubarb up, put it in a baking pan, sprinkled it with ginger and cinnamon, baked it for 20 mins then sprinkled it with sweetener before it cooled. I didn't have a huge amount with the yogurt and my BGs only rose by 0.2 at two hours after breakfast

Reactions: maglil55 and Viv19

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook I love rhubarb but have t had it for years cos noone in family likes it and quantities are always too big. However I lately discovered a shop that sells ondividually stalks so might have to give it a go. I am not a big yogurt fan though the 5% Fage I could eat with something else. That could be an alternative breakfast, thanks!

Reactions: ianpspurs

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook I love rhubarb but have t had it for years cos noone in family likes it and quantities are always too big. However I lately discovered a shop that sells ondividually stalks so might have to give it a go. I am not a big yogurt fan though the 5% Fage I could eat with something else. That could be an alternative breakfast, thanks!

Rhubarb freezes really well. In fact ASDA used to sdeel frozen rhubarb.

I have some in the garden, which I harvest regularly, during the active season, and if it's not going to be used immediately, I just cut it into the relevant sized pieces and freeze it. It's stews beautifully from frozen too, with just a covering of water on the base of a heavy pan.

I LOVE rhubarb.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rhubarb freezes really well. In fact ASDA used to sdeel frozen rhubarb.

I have some in the garden, which I harvest regularly, during the active season, and if it's not going to be used immediately, I just cut it into the relevant sized pieces and freeze it. It's stews beautifully from frozen too, with just a covering of water on the base of a heavy pan.

I LOVE rhubarb.
Thanks thats very helpful. I think while its still in season I will get some. My mum used to make an amazing rhubarb tart!

Richard'63

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Despite the title of the thread, I haven't eaten or even heard of Konjac noodles until a friend mentioned them. Then I looked them up on a supermarket website.
Carbless noodles? Anybody tried them?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like Oomi noodles. If you search for konjac on a supermarket site you will see if they stock them.

charlie000

I had left over Saag/Paneer which is an Indian spinach curry dish, plenty of recipes online, but here's a decent one:
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/saag-paneer

Note: I have fresh cheese, rather than adding it in, I add it on to my plate at the end as I like it cold...

I also had 3 chicken thighs from this:
https://groceries.morrisons.com/web...elect-HMC-Peri-Peri-Chicken-Platter/342389011

Had some Diet Coke (canned)

1.6kg of Peri Peri marinaded chicken, not bad, will last me a few days. Starting my fast at around 3-4pm today. Have to be honest, I woke up at 4am today and was really really hungry and I had peanuts, but my BG was 4.2 when I woke up at 4am, then 4.2 at around 9am.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Richard'63 I like konjac noodles - as long as I rinse them thoroughly in a sieve under a running tap I think they a more than acceptable substitute for spaghetti or noodles - but I don't like the konjac rice. I get the spaghetti type from Sainsbury called Bare Naked.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Richard the other option is get a cheap spiralizer and make courgetti. I am not mad about courgettes but this works brilliantly for me, best added to the meat/sauce and just heated through so they hold shape. O/c you may have already tried this!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Richard the other option is get a cheap spiralizer and make courgetti. I am not mad about courgettes but this works brilliantly for me, best added to the meat/sauce and just heated through so they hold shape. O/c you may have already tried this!

Definitely do NOT buy the frozen bag and nuke it per instructions. YUK!
Bfast avocado mush from frozen-before-vacation with a little mayo. DWGoatMilk which has been around unopened since I got the IP. Was going to make yogurt immediately. Ha!
Lunch we'll see. Bought some assorted olive bar at Kroger. Or liquid I dunno. Really have to find the thing that stops the DP from going on all day....
Supper thawing in frig cheddar quiche and brussels sprouts. It's a Barre night so still working with meal times for these late eating nights, Mon-Wed every week. One way or another, I'm going to find the eating plan that works. I'm not normally a person who has had to take a whole lot of wrong paths to find the right one, so I guess this is paying me back for a lifetime of being like that I was very fortunate in that I took all of the career-headed wrong paths before I even got to college.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dentist this morning and as I don’t have a car and Mrs Miggins was away, I had a pleasant three mile walk.
Lunch; chicken, pan fried. I like mine well salted and with some vinegar.

Dinner; Malaysian vegetable curry - it calls for potatoes but I used celeriac - worked fine - more chilli next time to offset the coconut milk and coriander.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Initially thought today would be a success if it was purely functional food wise - gastric issues solved and no further joints inoperative. Ended with me feeling quite upbeat about my food. No B just TWAM. Around midday cocoa - no cream today hoping gastric issue would appreciate the gesture. Lunch Morrisons chorizo and cheddar tapas rolitos - MIL treated me/us but I think I should have swerved them. Mid afternoon after quite strenuous gardening 3 HC 85% batons and 20 gms HC 90% - batons OK the other was a step too far. Evening meal was some of the £1 cooked chicken MIL also treated us to (for helping her with non starting car) haloumi chips and mushrooms with mayo. Liked the weather and evening meal and so far no further problems so on to the football.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I am away from home today and tonight so here goes:
Breakfast: usual 1 slice HiLo toast, sliced butter (forgot to fill the newly washed butter dish) tea x 2. Then on the road.
Lunch: pack of M&S rollitos. Lots of slow fog walking.
Supper: cod from chip shop, maybe 6 chips. I know scandalous.