What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All

another DEEPLY frustrating day caused by faulty work tech stuff.
Ended up walking away from it at 3.30 since late Fri afternoon is not the best time to get helpful, thorough, efficient technical support.
Will try again Monday.

B: bone broth and bovril
S: lc hc
L: cheese and ham rollups
D: will be chicken shashlik, may risk an onion bhaji too...

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
10 am I had a banana for breakfast. A few cups of tea and some pills later I started making biscuits and cookies for an event tomorrow. I don't often make biscuits and one was a new idea for an apple cookie (made with blitzed dried apple) and, of course, I had to check the finished version. It was pretty good, if I do say so myself, but I shouldn't have had it. Also made some chocolate digestives. Had one of those as well (not the chocolate ones, just plain). Weak willed creature that I am. Haven't dared to check BG! At least I've kept the fluids up today.

This evening I have some vegetable hash with some beef meatballs - out of the freezer again.

I've been trying to concoct recipes for celeriac based hotpot (with squash) and tartiflette (without squash). Need to get some more supplies in before I can try the hotpot out. I'll see if I can get time to try the tartiflette one tomorrow. If not, I'll do it on Sunday. The shopping trip won't be until next week now. Any advice on hotpot or tartiflette?

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Annb good that you have kept fluids up today. I enjoy baking as well, those biscuits sound amazing. I grew up with my parents making choc-chip biscuits, anzac biscuits and shortbread for my school lunch box. My dad still makes the best this crunchy anzac biscuits, and I adore my grandmas, who is dutch, shortbread. If you want to look up a good recipe that's absolutely amazing have a go at this one, I so miss eating it with a cup of tea, but it would spike me horribly. http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/11412/dutch-butter-cake--boterkoek-.aspx

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late Lunch after swimming: Greek yoghurt, coconut chia pudding and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Mid afternoon: black coffee.
Dinner: Cold bbq chicken drumsticks with cauliflower and broccoli salad, coleslaw and cheese snacks by Serious Pig, followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb good that you have kept fluids up today. I enjoy baking as well, those biscuits sound amazing. I grew up with my parents making choc-chip biscuits, anzac biscuits and shortbread for my school lunch box. My dad still makes the best this crunchy anzac biscuits, and I adore my grandmas, who is dutch, shortbread. If you want to look up a good recipe that's absolutely amazing have a go at this one, I so miss eating it with a cup of tea, but it would spike me horribly. http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/11412/dutch-butter-cake--boterkoek-.aspx

That looks good. I'll definitely try making that. Probably shouldn't eat it myself, but can try it out on Em and maybe the next function I need to take cakes or biscuits to. Anzac biscuits as well - I'd forgotten about those. Thanks for reminding me.

Reactions: Quinn1066

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Boterkoek is wondeful! The basic recipe is only butter, flour, sugar, egg, a little salt. I especially love it with hazelnuts added. Haven't eaten it for years now :(

Today was oxtail stew Indonesified. Not as low carb as the original but still lowish carb. Warmed stew, fried a small onion with grated cauliflower, half a red pepper, some sweet and hot soy sauce and added it to a portion of the stew. I served with spicy cassave crackers (not the wisest decision but it was only a few of them).

I'll have to leave you over the weekend in favour of the high carb thread; just had a phonecall from a friend that he had way too much Chinese take-away leftovers and was I interested to pick it up? I love Chinese take-away, one of the few high carb foods worth the hassle with insulin dosing every once in a while.

I expect to be back here next week, utterly tired of doing diabetes and happy to forego high carb meals again, no matter how good they taste.

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
My life dream = a fluffy little kitten with furry little paws, light grey fur , blue eyes , little nose ! Awww !

I want him to chase hygienic toy mice, listen to opera , have milk and cream , eat prawns , play with a thread ball, and meow . I will put him in my backpack and take him to work so he can do cat maths, like + = 2 . His name will be Hilbert after David Hilbert , the mathematician.

D

Deleted member 308541

Breakfast: Usual three egg, cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomatoes, spudlite.
Liquid Lunch: Savoury snacks, several XXXX Gold stubbies.
Dinner: Nile Perch fillets and salad.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugars, beer, water.

wIROWO3.jpg

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Winnie-the-Pooh How about this one? Neighbours cat. The baguette, butter, rubbish thief. Greedy cat. This pic was taken few seconds after I performed Heimlich manoeuvre on her. She was choking on a piece of pork. Amazing resilience.
20190904_193410.jpeg

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Catches many mice, voles, moles and a few birds.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My life dream = a fluffy little kitten with furry little paws, light grey fur , blue eyes , little nose ! Awww !

I want him to chase hygienic toy mice, listen to opera , have milk and cream , eat prawns , play with a thread ball, and meow . I will put him in my backpack and take him to work so he can do cat maths, like
emoji193.png
+
emoji193.png
= 2
emoji193.png
. His name will be Hilbert after David Hilbert , the mathematician.
emoji177.png

Reactions: Barb McD
D

Deleted member 308541

Last edited by a moderator:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
07-92-2020
Today's food
Breakfast CWC AND milk. Nut granola. Panic about workmen arriving. Had piece of cheese.
Lunch weighed the pain kapnor 71g at 28g carbs per 109g should have been fine. Nope. BG before meal 5 8
One hour 8 5
Two hours 6.2
Something is going wrong here.
Maybe it's stress still. But two slices of this bread has been ok every time previously. ofc not just bread. With ham. Cheese, avocado, pâté, sardines, salad etc.
Workmen laying our new drive have messed up neighbours. Not really a drive, farm track. But he keeps it tidy, mows it etc. Lorry loaded with 15 tonnes of hard-core got stuck in the mud, churned it all up really badly and blocked the drainage ditch. Difficult to explain or apologise when we have little French and they have no English.
More logs brought into woodshed and twigs to the burning pile. MrSlim still working on new dormer window. Both of us praying for a dry night. He needs more slates.
Dinner. Steak and chips. I had six. Green beans, creamed leeks and fried mushrooms. Too much wine.
Bedtime lemon tea.

Barb McD

This is wonderful torture . I’ve not managed solids for four days, pretty sure my reading this is a textbook living vicariously moment.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

Can I remind people that there are some lovely chatty threads elsewhere on the forum if people want to focus on chat and post without mentioning their daily food choices.

This thread is primarily food, with some accompanying chat. It would be a pity if that was swamped by full-on chat.

The discussion of cat slaughter is neither friendly, chat, nor food related, and is therefore not appropriate for this thread. In fact, I question its appropriateness anywhere on a diabetes forum.

Reactions: Barb McD

Winnie-the-Pooh

Today :

Breakfast : parfait with whole meal low sugar granola and Greek yogurt . I attach the granola pic in case anyone wants to find that brand . It’s very tasty and as long as you only use a little bit in ur parfait (3 spoons for example ), it won’t give you a spike .

Lunch : soup . I did not want to it it due to carbs but since I was working from home today ( to focus on a new research ), I had no choice . I try to avoid soup mix . It’s not healthy and has lots of carbs .

Dinner : bf will make low carb edamame pasta with fake beef ground ( he is vegetarian). We have an Italian sauce with vodka bought from farmers market .
Low carb ice cream for desert .

IMG_4900.jpg

Ps: I love the cat pics ! Cats cheer me up.

Edited by Mod

Winnie-the-Pooh

There is so much I miss about Australia ! One is Anzac biscuits. Can u get low carb ones ? I badly need one now with tea !