What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Drove back home this afternoon ready for daughter’s birthday tomorrow, my brother has taken over caring for mum.
Breakfast: strawberries and cream with black coffee.
Elevensies: black coffee and birthday cake phd bar.
Lunch: 2 x Babybels with a small leafy salad followed by Greek yoghurt with coffee chia pudding.
Dinner was a roast cooked by hubby to welcome me home :): roast chicken, mixed veg and a tiny roast potato with gravy followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Things I’ve missed, a decent coffee machine coffee, a bath (there’s only a shower at Mum’s) and finally coconut ‘porridge’, I’m looking forward to breakfast in the morning :happy:!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Drove back home this afternoon ready for daughter’s birthday tomorrow, my brother has taken over caring for mum.
Breakfast: strawberries and cream with black coffee.
Elevensies: black coffee and birthday cake phd bar.
Lunch: 2 x Babybels with a small leafy salad followed by Greek yoghurt with coffee chia pudding.
Dinner was a roast cooked by hubby to welcome me home :): roast chicken, mixed veg and a tiny roast potato with gravy followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Things I’ve missed, a decent coffee machine coffee, a bath (there’s only a shower at Mum’s) and finally coconut ‘porridge’, I’m looking forward to breakfast in the morning :happy:!

Glad you’re home safely in time for tomorrow. Completely agree with you about coffee.
When I was back in West London last week I couldn’t figure out why I simply wasn’t enjoying coffee as much as usual - I’d taken a pack of my usual brand with me. I finally decided it must be the water. Hard in London and soft in Cornwall must have made the coffee taste different.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@DJC3 -- Yes, still teaching on-line, another two or three weeks yet, followed by three weeks of online-exams. Hope next semester will be different. Other than this life is mostly back to normal in Germany, except for having to wear a mask when out in public. How are things for you?
@shelley262 -- Completely agree with you on the condiments, they definitely make eating more enjoyable. For some of the higher-carb ones such as ketchup, there are lower-carb versions available too. As to the rabbit in mustard-estragon cream sauce, I believe this is kind of traditional. Surprised though how much meat is on a tiny rabbit.
@MrsA2 -- Thanks for the recipe, sounds really good -- do you think the tuna melt would work in a pan too?

Today ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol. A bit of h/m low-carb sesame brittle. Half a DD keto roll with chevre and smoked salmon.

Lunch: A small skirt steak with guacamole. Later a chicken wiener.

Dinner: Lamb's lettuce with h/m Caesar's dressing, parmiggiano and chicken cracklings. About 15g of 88% chocolate. Two glasses of dry red wine.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262
totally agree with you about the condiments. Not always easy controlling the portion size though :D

day before yesterday:
B: bovril and lc hot choc
L: sirloin
D: pork ribs in chilli and garlic

yesterday:
B: lc hot choc
L: the most fantastic steak (airfried from frozen). Tescos finest, ribeye, beautifully marbled. Named breed. Must have been a special offer, because I shudder to think what the full price would have been.
D: fish Pie Soup. My own spontaneous creation. Basically just all the ingredients of a fish pie, blended into a soup. Less than 20 mins from start to finish. Pack of ‘fish pie’ frozen fish, fish stock, leeks, red peppers, cream, cheese and thickened by a bit of that dried mash potato I bought for Mr B just before we locked down. Seasoned with a dash of lemon, a jolt of black pepper, and a spoon of horseradish. Had 2 bowls, which raised my bg by a whole 1mmol/l, but probably exceeded my veg capacity by A LOT :nailbiting:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Very poor night's sleep - don't know because I was very tired. Still am!

Breakfast: usual scrambled eggs and kimchi on the side
Lunch: Actimel drink and a bit of cheese (dolce gorgonzola from Lidl today)
Dinner: unidentified block from freezer which turned out to be a very thick h/m minestrone soup - loads of veg! No doubt I'll find the label that's come off when/if I get to the bottom of that freezer (along with the rest of the missing labels)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My foot/leg improved sufficiently yesterday evening for me to hobble around the kitchen so I made a huge pot of lamb tagine with a big lump of lamb shoulder I had in the fridge and thought I ought to use before it went off. Cooked for hours - can't remember how many. Didn't really taste like tagine ought to, but it was OK. I tasted it again around midnight, having sat, cooling and letting the spices develop, for quite a long time, and by then it tasted just right! Didn't eat any of it though.

Didn't bother with eating anything, in fact. Just wasn't hungry. So today I have to do something with the liver I was going to have. Liver pate coming up!

Not desperately hungry this morning either, so I'll put off making any breakfast/brunch for a while. It will probably be scrambled eggs. Then, I'll keep back some of the tagine from the freezer and have a dish of that for later in the day.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Annb, I can so relate to how you feel. My legs are like a built in early warning system of impending illness. My nervous system was so screwed up in the aftermath of the crash that any bug attacks it first which results in my legs/hips etc being worse than usual. I also have made to measure compression stockings but I can't get them on myself. One of my very early purchases in Italy was a potato ricer although I didn't buy it for ricing potatoes. I bought it to rice ice cream. It came out looking like spaghetti which you topped with a strawberry sauce and grated white chocolate for the parmesan. Kids loved their ice cream bolognese. @shelley262- thanks for the kind words. It has been really long lasting. It started way back about 5 March and every time I think I'm getting better I get knocked back again. I had a dreadful night last night. Only got about 3 hours sleep so I've just been resting today.
Bed 6.5 FBG 6.3.
B. TAG and Hubby kindly did me a slice of GF black pudding, a tomato sausage and bacon in the air fryer while I had a very hot shower. I fried an egg as well - another double yolk.
L. A couple of Lotus biscuits as I felt queasy again. It's the sinuses that is causing the nausea.
D. Felt a bit better so a rib eye, mushrooms, mini cob, few veggie chips and a little pepper sauce. Usual campari and soda.

@Rachox - hope you all have a lovely time at your daughter's 21st.

Reactions: DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb, I can so relate to how you feel. My legs are like a built in early warning system of impending illness. My nervous system was so screwed up in the aftermath of the crash that any bug attacks it first which results in my legs/hips etc being worse than usual. I also have made to measure compression stockings but I can't get them on myself. One of my very early purchases in Italy was a potato ricer although I didn't buy it for ricing potatoes. I bought it to rice ice cream. It came out looking like spaghetti which you topped with a strawberry sauce and grated white chocolate for the parmesan. Kids loved their ice cream bolognese.

What a great idea! Ice cream bolognese. I'll do that for Em when she's allowed to visit again. She'll love it. She likes ice cream but only if she can have all the bits and pieces that go with it (sprinkles, jelly tots, smarties, chocolate vermicelli and so on). Ricing will probably cut down on the ice cream and give her more, proportionally, of the h/m raspberry sauce, etc.

I couldn't get compression stockings on by myself but bought a wire gadget that the stocking gets stretched over and the foot gets pushed through. It's not perfect but it works after a fashion. The whole thing is a bit tight for my sore foot at the moment and makes using it quite painful. And then again, getting them off is another matter. Not too bad if your wrists are OK, but quite heavy going on dodgy wrists. Neil rigged up a shackle bolted to the door frame for me to put a loop of tape through - the tape attached to more bits of tape on the stockings. It works by me pulling the tape through the shackle, which hauls the stocking down and off. Complicated but it saves my wrists.

Had scrambled egg with a few bits of leftover sausage sliced in for brunch.
Snack about 20 minutes ago - banana, peanut butter and yoghurt milk shake. Another Neil idea when I was complaining about not wanting anything available to drink, but wanting something.
Evening meal will be lamb tagine.
Not sure how much carb was in the milk shake, but it hit the spot, so I don't care.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had breakfast today in an effort to stem the alarming DP I’m experiencing these days. - it rises rapidly and stays high all day. Breakfast helped a bit but I did the Joe Wicks PE a couple of hours later and it shot right up again.
Breakfast 2 egg cheese omelette. Coffee
No lunch
Dinner few olives while cooking. Chicken breast wrapped in bacon with courgettes, peppers and spinach. Then a chunk of cheddar. Tea.
@ziggy_w it must be very strange not to have contact with your students, I hope things get back to normal soon. Things aren’t too bad here at the moment, at least not in my neck of the woods - that may change.
@Annb I’m glad your foot has improved a bit, good old Neil yet again with his inventions.
@maglil55 the ice cream spaghetti is inspired. I bet the kids loved it.

Reactions: maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Two walks today - early morning as usual and then another this afternoon (half day). Rewarded this afternoon with the sight of newly hatched cygnets (saw the eggs last week; this morning mum had them all safely under her wing, but they were on full view this afternoon. And the Thames Clipper was back in service so took 2 short rides on that.

Lunch was rotisserie poussin done in the air fryer. Rubbed it with salt, garlic granules, paprika and chilli oil. Delicious.
Dinner was the remains of the poussin, a lump of cheese and some pickled onions followed by extra thick double cream and almond butter. May have had a sneaky small (25g) bar of 85% chocolate from M&S while out walking.

92ACDFB4-EFA2-42A0-AB16-E8864F8ECED5.jpeg
863665CD-54B7-47B3-82B2-582185F2A22A.jpeg

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Evening all.

Two walks today - early morning as usual and then another this afternoon (half day). Rewarded this afternoon with the sight of newly hatched cygnets (saw the eggs last week; this morning mum had them all safely under her wing, but they were on full view this afternoon. And the Thames Clipper was back in service so took 2 short rides on that.

Lunch was rotisserie poussin done in the air fryer. Rubbed it with salt, garlic granules, paprika and chilli oil. Delicious.
Dinner was the remains of the poussin, a lump of cheese and some pickled onions followed by extra thick double cream and almond butter. May have had a sneaky small (25g) bar of 85% chocolate from M&S while out walking.

View attachment 42096 View attachment 42097

Beautiful photo :)

Reactions: maglil55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

View attachment 42096 View attachment 42097

The chicklet looked good. Did you use the rotisserie, or just a shelve?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The chicklet looked good. Did you use the rotisserie, or just a shelve?

Rotisserie - not sure whether it makes any difference as it would fit on the shelves very easily; guess it’s just because I can and perhaps means it cooks more evenly.

Reactions: Annb and maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 7 3 FBG 7.4. A bit high but understandable after such a grotty night. Sinuses seem to have finally cleared though and the nausea has gone with them (as has my crackling chest). Hopefully that's the last of the relapses. @Goonergal - loving the cygnets. I must go have a look at the Esk for the babies. The swans and the Canadian geese nest there every year.
@Annb & @DJC3 - The ice cream "bolognese" is loved by the kids. I love the first time they see it. Ice cream has to be solid to rice it. You can though do it in advance and put it back in the freezer ready to serve later.
B. Still feeling rough so TAG and a couple of seeded GF crackers with pate.
L. Cup of black tea and a couple of Lotus biscuits to dunk (takes the nausea away).
D. Kung po chicken with loads of veg and cauli rice. A few berries and cream.

No 2 grandson lost his first tooth today. Hubby had to go into action as the tooth fairy again. Unbelievably, he tied a bit of dental floss to it, then to the door and slammed the door shut! Out it popped! It's been wobbling for ages and he was determined it was coming out.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonderful day out today in nearby town of Ludlow. Ludlow is starting to wake up with a few more shops and the outdoor market open and got my lunch from wonderful independent cheese shop there plus some cheese for coming weekend when we have a family garden picnic planned for father’s day! Ludlow very close to wales and seemed very quiet given that it felt more open, had free parking and lovely weather. It’s normal heaving with tourists in the summer but as you can’t stay away on holiday yet it no doubt restricts numbers big time. It’s only 30 mins away for us thankfully.
Left early - just coffee by castle walls - see avatar!
Lunch picnic a few bits of local cheese from cheese shop and one lc cheese scone
Dinner chilli chicken with salads and halloumi fries followed by lc lemon and lime mousse with double cream.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Unbelievably, he tied a bit of dental floss to it, then to the door and slammed the door shut! Out it popped! It's been wobbling for ages and he was determined it was coming out.
Your no 2 grandson is a hero! I remember wanting to do that but never made it to the door slamming part, even after fiddling with tooth and thread for 20 minutes to attatch the one to the other.

Todays meal would be off topic on this thread, even though I made a cabbage and cucumber concoction (cauliflowers are expensive at the moment) to substitute the rice that went with the Chinese take-away.

Have been working hard in the last 2 days to build a marten proof guinea-pig fort. The 3 guinea pigs I have left have been temporarily living in the barn following the disappearance from the old pen of 6 of their mates this spring.
Tomorrow we'll shovel earth on the wire on the floor, after that we'll need to close the sides, make a door and find solutions for some complicated details.

So it looks like I can visit the guinea-pig shelter next week to see if I can adopt about 10 additional piggies to fill the fort :)
I'll be happy with the ones that are difficult to get adopted. I don't care about age and it's fine if they aren't used to being handled. They can live their lives amongst eachother, I'm happy to watch and feed them. The little opened window on the left is my kitchen window. They squeek and whistle when I'm in the kitchen, I throw out yummies :)

83417031_10221063485331136_8436826724443345119_o.jpg