What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
I Did watch the documentary film ‘fat fiction’ yesterday evening and thought it was an absolutely excellent film well worth watching. Loved the old adverts from 50s, 60s etc. Lots of great info about cholesterol and nutritional guideline misinformation - it’s American but lots of it also applies to us here in U.K. I found the libre sensor experiment particularly interesting as well as lots of inspirational examples of people who had turned their diabetes round. I watched free as I’m an amazon prime member but if you google the film it will give you other options on how to watch it - think it’s included in Netflix if you are a member or think you can pay to stream as one off. It’s an independent film no food industry sponsorship. Would really recommend it especially to learn about fat in the diet and the low carb way of eating. I’m already planning to watch again with mum when she hopefully comes down in August when hershielding ended. She has never changed from butter and fatty meat and will find it fascinating !
Long day long hike - although not quite your marathon distances @Goonergal ! Managed 15kms. However lots of very steep climbs.
Picnic lots of coffee took two flasks and two boiled eggs with one slice of cooked crispy bacon
Dinner salmon in lemon butter and cauliflower cheese with glass of wine with soda followed by DGF Bakewell tart and Greek yoghurt. Tried these for first time they taste amazing - rest of box in freezer is now under threat! OH agrees that they are one of the best.......
Hiya - I could walk for miles but don't like the steep climbs too much!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya - do you whisk the eggs up and then add to the mince or what do you do?

I start by frying the mince (in its own fat as I use 20% or 25% fat mince), add onions and then once that’s all looking nice and brown, crack the eggs in, turn the heat down and wait for the whites are set but try to keep the yolks a bit runny. Then add salt, oregano and grated cheese for a nice gooey mess. Very tasty and filling - and cheap! Been one of my go-to lunches while working from home as it’s also quick.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I start by frying the mince (in its own fat as I use 20% or 25% fat mince), add onions and then once that’s all looking nice and brown, crack the eggs in, turn the heat down and wait for the whites are set but try to keep the yolks a bit runny. Then add salt, oregano and grated cheese for a nice gooey mess. Very tasty and filling - and cheap! Been one of my go-to lunches while working from home as it’s also quick.
Many thanks for that - much appreciated it sounds fab.

Reactions: Goonergal

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bit of a rubbish day from BG point of view, maybe tomorrow will be better but I think it’s the usual ‘scanxiety’ kicking in - scan is in 4 weeks and this seems to happen every time.
Coffee all morning.
Lunch BLT using Romaine lettuce as wraps and H/M mayo. Strawberry &cream DGF blondie with cream to follow. @shelley262 glad to hear the new raspberry bakewells are good. I have some in the freezer but haven’t tried one yet. Thanks for the film recommendation too.
D: takeaway from local restaurant. Hake loin with walnut and rocket pesto, some olive& tomato tapenade type thing. Ate the leftover cauliflower slaw from yesterday with it instead of chips. 2 glasses white wine.
@Chook I completely agree, a gentle 3 yo lab with epilepsy is really not the same as a boy mastiff with behaviour issues. Dig your heels in on this one.
Do you find freezing chocolate stops you from eating it? I’m sorry to say I can happily eat it frozen too. ( also looking at you @Goonergal )

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and salted caramel phd bar.
Late Lunch: 2 x Babybels followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Dinner: two chicken drumsticks, leafy salad, pork scratchings and coleslaw followed by SF jelly, cream LC vanilla and raspberry granola.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Bit of a rubbish day from BG point of view, maybe tomorrow will be better but I think it’s the usual ‘scanxiety’ kicking in - scan is in 4 weeks and this seems to happen every time.
Coffee all morning.
Lunch BLT using Romaine lettuce as wraps and H/M mayo. Strawberry &cream DGF blondie with cream to follow. @shelley262 glad to hear the new raspberry bakewells are good. I have some in the freezer but haven’t tried one yet. Thanks for the film recommendation too.
D: takeaway from local restaurant. Hake loin with walnut and rocket pesto, some olive& tomato tapenade type thing. Ate the leftover cauliflower slaw from yesterday with it instead of chips. 2 glasses white wine.
@Chook I completely agree, a gentle 3 yo lab with epilepsy is really not the same as a boy mastiff with behaviour issues. Dig your heels in on this one.
Do you find freezing chocolate stops you from eating it? I’m sorry to say I can happily eat it frozen too. ( also looking at you @Goonergal )

Big hug for the scan anxiety xx. Its horrible when on top of everything else the BGs play up as well adding to the anxiety.s

I live the idea of your takeaway meals from local restaurant - absolutely nothing like that around here.

Oh, I have dug my heels in about another dog - if (and it's a big IF) we get another dog it must be a fairly young girl and not mastiff size if we get another big boy there will be 'top dog' problems with the two boys I already have.

No, freezing chocolate doesn't stop me eating it but it stops it being on display somewhere I can see it all the time and it keeps it fresh. I actually quite like it straight from freezer. Actually I'm more of a savoury person - hiding cheese in the fridge never stops me nibbling at it.

@Goonergal and @maglil55 - Mr C says he gets the 90% Godiva for me from Sainsbury's. They do the truffle filled Godiva chocs as well.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's my neighbour's birthday, and we'll have a garden party with a big fire, barbecue, fire crackers, lots of booze and enough room to social distance :)
Should I log in at 4AM tonight and write gibberish, well, you'll know the cause :wacky:
3:59 where I live, so I seem to have a solid knack of predicting the future :)
I just came home after way too much whisky and beer, but food wise everything was fine: different meats from the grill, a little piece of bread with garlic butter and some salad. Accompanied with some insulin at rather random moments I managed to stay below 8 all night!

Came home to 6 dogs instead of the expected 2 belonging to me :hilarious:
One friend is staying in a tent at the party garden but didn't inform me she dumped her dogs at my place for the night. The other 2 belong to another friend. I knew they were at my place during the party but this friend left hours before I did. The text message I saw when I was home again said he was sorry but he forgot his dogs :D. And he's a tea-totaller too!

Anyway, I'll thoroughly enjoy my surprise 6-instead-of-2-dogs-bed, and I'll refrain from trying to make sense in writing here :)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just came home after way too much whisky and beer, but food wise everything was fine: different meats from the grill, a little piece of bread with garlic butter and some salad. Accompanied with some insulin at rather random moments I managed to stay below 8 all night!

One friend is staying in a tent at the party garden but didn't inform me she dumped her dogs at my place for the night. The other 2 belong to another friend. I knew they were at my place during the party but this friend left hours before I did. The text message I saw when I was home again said he was sorry but he forgot his dogs :D. And he's a tea-totaller too!

Anyway, I'll thoroughly enjoy my surprise 6-instead-of-2-dogs-bed, and I'll refrain from trying to make sense in writing here :)

What a brilliant homecoming!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

OMG!! SIX!! If that happened to me I'd end up having to redecorate !!

I once had a friend's only dog to stay over for a couple of nights (while his Mum was in hospital) and they all went bonkers - in a good way - and completely trashed the garden. That's when we gave up on grass. We've got slate now so it just needs re-distributing when the dogs have a mad five minutes.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Chook - "Fresh" is a thing with chocolate? Who knew?

it just means that I can ignore the sell by dates and it doesn't get that pale bloom on it that chocolate sometimes gets if its been kept in too warm an environment. I know the bloom is okay to eat, just not very appealing.

Today's food

Breakfast: Omelette with carb free syrup (lemon)o
Lunch: Actimel drink and a bit of cheese
Dinner: Veggie fake steak (called Vivera) Mr C is having roast beef - with roast parsnips, carrots, cauliflower cheese, home grown chard and a few tiny home grown peas and broad beans & depending on BGs I might have a Yorkshire pudding.
Dessert will be home grown raspberries - all this rain has really brought the veggies and fruit on.I

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG at 8.30 was 6.5 - for me very good (took a fairly normal dose of insulin last night). However, by 9.15 it was 10.3.
9.15 was breakfast time - I was very hungry - and I made a frittata with some sausage meat, a kidney, half an onion and a few cherry tomatoes. I took more insulin than normal to make sure it didn't put BG up to much. That didn't work. BG went up to 13.2 by 11.15. And it wasn't even that tasty - the only bit that had any taste was the tomatoes. Maybe my taste buds are still affected.

It wasn't too bad in terms of carbs, but was probably a bit much in calories. But I don't think I can last out the rest of the day with no more food. I'm already starving and trying to control it with drinks of water. And it's only 12 o'clock.

Might have to take some more insulin without food - not what I would prefer to do, but I'll have to do something. I still have some cold pork belly in the fridge and/or might hard boil some eggs.

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
low carb diet, i had two griddled Aberdeen Angus burgers, two poached eggs with two slices of rubber cheese and one griddled portobello mushroom.... still light headed and feeling :hungover:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
OMG!! SIX!! If that happened to me I'd end up having to redecorate !!

I once had a friend's only dog to stay over for a couple of nights (while his Mum was in hospital) and they all went bonkers - in a good way - and completely trashed the garden. That's when we gave up on grass. We've got slate now so it just needs re-distributing when the dogs have a mad five minutes.

They're small dogs, which does make a bit of a difference! :hilarious:
For thrashing the garden I have the goats, they're professionals compared to the dogs :)

My other friend went home this morning and forgot her dogs as well, so now I'm part of a cuddly and fluffy sea of dogs on my couch with a cat on my lap. Not a bad way at all to wait for the headache to dissappear and to contemplate if coffee is something vile or a good thing.
Breakfast won't be happening for a couple more hours, judging by the feel in my stomach :hungover:
Great party, but let's not do it again any time soon :D

Thankfully nothing important to do today, except get back to my neighbour's garden to find my shoes :bag:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77 losing a pair of shoes and gaining a few dogs sounds like a good trade-off to me.

Having a rare low-mood day today. Probably due to lack of sleep caused by unexpected return of foot cramps. Shattered and grumpy!

Just had a satisfying lunch of kippers - Waitrose microwave in a bag variety rather than the superior M&S Arbroath ones, but good nonetheless - followed by some air fried pork belly cubes. Have also finished the remains of the Lindt 90%. Now to avoid buying more....

Dinner will likely be chicken wings coated in Parmesan. Have just ordered a new batch of Awfully Posh for ‘breading’ and pizza bases as down to my last bag.

Reactions: maglil55