What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Rachox - I hope it all goes well - thinking about you x

@zauberflote - hugs for the jaw issue from me, too. I'm a bit worried about your brain swabbing reference :confused: I've got a home testing kit and Mr C is threatening to administer it because I can't find my tonsils.

@Goonergal - being 'carbed' is an excellent way to describe the consumption of hidden carbs.... will definitely use that word next time it happens to me (if I ever get to eat non home made food again). Really wrong of them not to tell you when you had asked - I think I would be contacting them to complain and explain.

@Muddling Through - your menu looks lovely! I must hard boil some eggs to keep in the fridge

@maglil55 - the leaflet with the test says it should be back by Wednesday.

Breakfast: omelette with carb free syrup (lemon and raspberry)
Lunch: Longley Farm cream cheese on Ryvita. (I really recommend this cream cheese, its proper cream cheese rather than the usual 'soft' cheese)
Dinner: the second portion of the aubergine / tomato / mozzarella bake I made the other day with a side of cauliflower rice

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Test done - OMG that was deeply unpleasant. :sour:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Goonergal thanks! Aside from the drive-by carbing, your day sounds idyllic.
@Muddling Through pizza on a mushroom!! I never thought of that, and it's very appealing. Thanks
@Chook in furtherworrisom language, my hernia surgeon described his own test as a brain biopsy It's not bad-- irritating but not painful, your eyes water, and quick. Anyway, sounds like yours is a throat swab, so less intrusive. Thanks for the hug! Oh I see you survived your test!! Good girl

Reactions: maglil55

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Our two Grandsons also got the tooth fairy letters to explain the Covid restrictions . They did get their tooth payment a couple of days later.

Em found hers taped to the side of the window frame just after she received her mail. I was never taught to believe in the tooth fairy, nor were my boys (might have been had I not married a fairly dour Scot), and it is a wonder to me that, at the age of 8 she still appears to. I think I was a lot less gullible at her age, but possibly not so smart in terms of receiving gifts. I also never accepted the stories about father Christmas - I knew that the one I was taken to when I was 3 was just an old man with a false beard. I also never believed in the Sunday School image of God or Christ that were drummed into us. A small cynic is what I was. Perhaps better to have some comforting stories to fall back on.

FBG 9.0
Breakfast whipped cream and a small spoon of the stewed apple I did a day or so back.
Lunch Atkins crackers and cheese.
Dinner will have to be that steak and kidney filling I took out of the freezer - couldn't eat it yesterday - the roasted veggies were enough for the whole day.

Feeling a bit grotty again today - maybe all the veggies yesterday. Neil has found, and brought down from the loft, an old air fryer which my mother bought around 1984 and which was relegated to the loft when she died in 1985. It wasn't called an air fryer and is based on a glass bowl with a heater/fan element in the lid. Something like the Ramouska that Lakeland are selling at present. In between sitting down to rest, I have been cleaning it up and will give it a try in a day or so. Neil, of course, had it all in bits to check that the inside of the fan and motor were rust free. They were and just needed a bit of a rub with detergent to get a bit of grime off. The bowl is in the dishwasher at the moment, but I couldn't get the lid in - it's too much for my slim line dishwasher. I'll get that hand washed in a while.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Goonergal thanks! Aside from the drive-by carbing, your day sounds idyllic.
@Muddling Through pizza on a mushroom!! I never thought of that, and it's very appealing. Thanks
@Chook in furtherworrisom language, my hernia surgeon described his own test as a brain biopsy It's not bad-- irritating but not painful, your eyes water, and quick. Anyway, sounds like yours is a throat swab, so less intrusive. Thanks for the hug! Oh I see you survived your test!! Good girl

It was both throat and nose. I seem to have a very healthy gag reflex as Mr C found out. :cyclops:

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 2 boiled eggs mashed up in a cup with butter. cup of earl grey with double cream.

Dinner - 2 beefburgers with a small covering of diane sauce over the top and large salad. Also some mixed nuts while I was waiting on the burgers cooking.

Rainy day today - *sigh*

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Rachox one last wish for best outcome and dinner at home! 30 years ago I told a hospital I ate vegetarian. They served me jello three times a day. Jello, here anyway, is NOT vegetarian...

When I went into the Royal Maternity Hospital in Glasgow to have Neil (that's many years ago now, so things could have changed) I told them I was vegetarian (we were then) and had been assured that the dietician would devise appropriate menus for me. However, I went into labour about 3 weeks early and the dietician was on holiday. No-one knew what to feed me, so the kitchen sent - nothing at all. The nurses had to give me hard boiled eggs for every meal. Now I like a hard boiled egg as much as the next person, but .... Then, on the one day that lunch was cheese salad, they still sent nothing and I was on the hard boiled eggs again. I was kept in because my temperature went up while the nurses fed Neil bottled milk. It may have been partly because he was premature (though he actually weighed over 10lb and was clearly healthy) that they kept us in. But on the 6th day, I signed myself out and went home. Couldn't face another boiled egg for a along time.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My Covid test kit arrived this morning (Sunday) - it came in Amazon packaging and was already delivered by the time I got up at 8.30. Very efficient. I can't say I'm looking forward to doing the test tomorrow morning. After some discussion we've decided that Mr C will have to do it as I've no idea where my tonsils are!!! :shy:

Breakfast: usual Sunday brunch - chaffle, 100g baked beans, two fried eggs (none of the usual mushrooms because they have been causing me tummy 'issues' recently).
Lunch: won't be needed
Dinner: aubergine, mozzarella and tomato layered bake with a parmesan topping and a mixed leaves side salad
Dessert: strawberries and cream

Do you need to have tonsils to do the covid test? Quite a few of us oldies don't have any - it was the done thing to take them out as useless appendages at the age of about 3, when I was in that category (1948 or thereabouts).

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Do you need to have tonsils to do the covid test? Quite a few of us oldies don't have any - it was the done thing to take them out as useless appendages at the age of about 3, when I was in that category (1948 or thereabouts).

No, tonsils aren't essential but back where your tonsils were is the part of your throat they want you to swab. With the nose it's basically until the swab won't go up any further. I remember BoJo saying it wasn't very pleasant to have done - he was definitely right about that.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook your test sounds dreadful not something to look forward to!
@zauberflote your jaw injury sounds very uncomfortable and sorry you can’t eat a range of food - do take care
@Rachox I’ve been thinking of you today and hope it’s been a not too difficult a day for you - look after yourself.
Hugs all round.
Lunch left over roast chicken leg with salt and pepper
Mid pm DGF salted caramel brownie
Dinner Cajun chicken with salads and Corriander salsa followed by SF jelly with yoghurt and cream.
Got back to my exercise session this morning thankfully and an early morning swim booked for in the morning.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you everyone for your best wishes for my surgery. Got home a few hours ago, I had a general anaesthetic which was what I wanted, phew! And regional block for both feet which hasn’t worn of yet so having to bum shuffle upstairs as too frightened I’ll fall if I battle with numb feet, crutches an/or bannisters!
Anyway food was pretty much as predicted!
Breakfast: none! Starved for theatre.
Lunch was offered, ham, cheese, tuna or egg mayo sandwiches, no dessert but apple or orange juice! All declined but accepted a black coffee to wash down my pork scratchings and raspberry phd bar.
Dinner: gammon steak with leafy salad and mayo followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola, all made for me :)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Glad you’re home safe and sound @Rachox hope you get a good night’s sleep.
@Chook Mr C and I have both had Covid tests, I agree they are not pleasant but luckily only a couple of seconds worth of discomfort. Fingers crossed for you both.
Today my bg hasn’t dropped below 6 and I’m fed up. Decided to try a few 30hr fasts as recommended by Jason Fung. So Omad today - just evening meal. I’ll have breakfast and lunch tomorrow but nothing then until evening meal on Wed and so on.
Today’s food was my current favourite Cobb salad then DGF blueberry and lemon drizzle cake, clotted cream and a teaspoonful of leftover blackberry sauce from yesterday.
Ive put some chicken stock on to keep me going tomorrow evening.
@zauberflote sorry to hear about your jaw, that must be horrid, I hope it sorts itself out soon.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Mrs T 123 I hear you on the rain. We are having the first somewhat sunny, cooler day in weeks!
@Annb oh my word boiled eggs! My MIL had an egg problem too-- her mother used to entertain crowds of family at the summer place (still going on, still multi-generational), and poor little Martha was set in the kitchen to peel dozens of hard-boiled eggs for devilled eggs. She did enjoy devilled eggs as an adult, but if we wanted them peeled we had to do it ourselves.
My mother refused to have our tonsils out in the late 50's when everybody else was doing it in grade school.
She maintained they were there for a reason, and if you got tonsillitis you'd dodged a worse bullet. My kids' pediatricians agreed!
@shelley262 thank you! I am getting inventive with the mini Cuisinart! Way to go for the exercise!

@Rachox so good to hear from you! I don't blame you for being cautious on the stairs. Glad your snack collection saved you. Sounds like you have a healthy appetite post-GA. I hope you've been given plenty of options for pain management!
@DJC3 thank you! This happened once before some years ago from eating raw carrots all day to keep awake on a long solo drive. It fixed itself then, so I'm giving it a little time. Good luck with your fasts!! You remind me, I have chicken stock makings in the freezer. Will have to wait until the morning unless it suddenly drops 55 degreesF out

Bfast, which at 3:19PM is still not finished (!): avocado, gummed and tongued, 2 scrambled eggs ditto, pecans/avo oil blitzed to chunky pecan butter in processor ditto, Lindt, flax crisps melted in mouth with dilute soy, and a final mouthful of Lindt 90%.
There will be a barre class in a couple of hours.
Supper will probably be breakfast all over again, with wilted spinach for avocado.
Had a terrible feral food break at bedtime last night. I am finally wising up to the fact that this food behaviour might be my body grieving my mother, plus MIL and my father, who were never properly grieved that I can recall. Whew. It might help if we could bury her!! Sigh.

Reactions: maglil55

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
having to bum shuffle upstairs as too frightened I’ll fall if I battle with numb feet, crutches an/or bannisters!
Right you are!
No use having an operation to remove hardware from your feet only to need new repairs because of falling from the stairs from the anaesthesia! Bum shuffle is perfect!

Finally it got cool enough to properly cook :)
The peanut sauce I made earlier this week and put in the freezer when I decided it was too hot to cook after all. Now if only I remembered what I put in this time, it is the best peanut sauce I've ever had but not a clue how I made it :facepalm:.

Earlier today: Coffee with milk, cracker with brie, piece of blue stilton, beer.
Later tonight: Likely pork scratchings with cream cheese and a couple of peanuts.
No chocolate this week, as sleepover-dog #2 opens the freezer containers left above my bed when I don't watch out. Not much of a problem when he gets to the pork scratchings, nuts or cream cheese but I don't dare keeping chocolate at my bedside whe he's around!
Sleepover dogs will return to their own home again tomorrow, so chocolate will happen again :)

118119782_10221595590753439_4584909559787646567_o.jpg

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was both throat and nose. I seem to have a very healthy gag reflex as Mr C found out. :cyclops:

I did my own throat and nose swabs when I was tested. Very glad I did, too!
My gag reflex kicked in, but since I was in control of the swab, it all went ok. I just went gently and slowly. much better than someone else stabbing around.

Today’s food was
B: scram egg with herring roe (yum!) Want the same tomorrow. And tomorrow... :D
L: a chunk of cheddar
D: pork chop

Made some masks today. Very pleased that this design seems to work for my father, and doesn’t steam up his glasses. He is delighted.

I’m genuinely surprised at how much I am missing the dogs and Mr B.
Knew I would miss them, but this much?
I suppose we have all seen each other almost constantly lately.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone for your best wishes for my surgery. Got home a few hours ago, I had a general anaesthetic which was what I wanted, phew! And regional block for both feet which hasn’t worn of yet so having to bum shuffle upstairs as too frightened I’ll fall if I battle with numb feet, crutches an/or bannisters!
Lunch was offered, ham, cheese, tuna or egg mayo sandwiches, no dessert but apple or orange juice! All declined but accepted a black coffee to wash down my pork scratchings and raspberry phd bar.
Dinner: gammon steak with leafy salad and mayo followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola, all made for me :)
Pleased you are back home but take care - sounds like you will be struggling to get round for a while hope feet feel normal soon but pain stays away.

Reactions: zauberflote

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Glad you got home safe and relatively sound. And you seem to have your appetite back after general anaesthetic. That can only be to the good. Do take care on those stairs! Hopefully you will be stronger soon.

Reactions: zauberflote

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all.

@Chook I did my own test. Not sure that I got the throat bit completely right as I normally gag very easily but didn’t. The nose bit was extremely tickly. Wouldn’t be too happy at someone else doing it to me.
@Rachox glad you’re home safely. Look after yourself.

Sleeping much better the past few days not sure whether it’s the drop in temperature or anticipation of time off work - today is last day until 1st September. Yay!

Just finished a mug of Teaolat with cream - reward for already having done an enormous pile of washing up, put away yesterday’s laundry and sorted out the rubbish.

Yesterday’s food was too much almond butter (some found its way into my cupboards at the weekend), cream and Lindt 90% at various intervals during the day. Formal meals were lunch of fried mince with eggs, onions and a bit of grated cheese and dinner of air fried chicken wings coated in chilli oil. Nearly out of chilli oil again.

Today I have a piece of lamb to roast for dinner and likely bacon and eggs if I need anything earlier on.