What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianspurs mentioned them @DJC3 and they are from 'we are low carb'
https://wearelowcarb.com/product-category/olinas-bakehouse/

I think they're on Amazon as well. The rosemary crackers are 1.3g per four crackers (which they count as a serving) The crispbreads are 0.2g which is a great improvement on the m and s seeded ones I have now at 5g.
They are, of course as with most low carb products, ruinously expensive so I'll report back tomorrow after a taste test!

Thanks, I’ll await your verdict before buying.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi does any one know how to make a low carb Spaghetti Bolognese I don’t want the pasta I’ve got skinny noodles there very low carb I just want to know how to make the sauce and can u add mushrooms and onion to I’ve googled it but it’s coming up loads with tinned tomatoes

I’m not keen on tinned tomatoes, I spent too many years following Weight Watchers recipes which seemed to be all based around tinned tomatoes and it’s put me off them a bit. If I want to make a ragu type sauce I will add a squirt of tomato purée and a splash of water. I love mushrooms so always add lots but I often use onion powder instead of fresh onions to reduce carbs a bit more.

Reactions: maglil55

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A late breakfast if 2 rashers thick smoked bacon with one scrambled egg.
Hours dancing
L: handful walnuts, 3 slices hm lc ginger bread
Mid afternoon. Helped hubby out with his valentines treat of macarons. Trouble is I had 4 because they were very small . Spike to 12. I must get back in the habit if only one or 2 bites.
Took dogs for muddy walk as rain finally stopped so at least bg came down quickly.
D: steak with mushrooms and leftover green veg. 2 glasses red and the final 2 valentines chocolates.
Mid evening got the munchies so 1 scoop cheap vanilla ice cream but it tasted far too sweet so gave it to the dogs in their puzzle bowls. Happiness all round.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two slices middle bacon. two scorched egg and cheese omelette, mushroom and a small portion baked beans for breakfast.
Two chicken drummies, lemon cordial / osmolax mix for smoko.
Grilled Barramundi fillet, mixed salad, green jelly for lunch.
Toasted cheese and onion low carb toasted sandwiches for supper at six.

Five pepper crackers with the last of the blues cheese watching Prime Video.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Might it be the fried onions or DGF? Liver does have some carbs, but not significant amounts.

Didn’t actually check the carbs in liver before I ate it ( rookie error) my app says 3G per 100g and I had probably 200-250g so thats 6-8g carbs I hadn’t counted on, before all the extras like onions, sprouts and DGF.
Disappointing, I’ll have to have more bacon and less liver next time I guess.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn’t actually check the carbs in liver before I ate it ( rookie error) my app says 3G per 100g and I had probably 200-250g so thats 6-8g carbs I hadn’t counted on, before all the extras like onions, sprouts and DGF.
I have my liver in a pate it’s cooked in lots of butter and then more butter melted for top and it’s fine for me plus as it’s pate rather than a main smallish amounts eaten - no impact for me could be fat or amount.

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Antje77 , @jape:

Cartons of egg whites sold in the UK too. I use them for sugar-free meringues amoung other things.
640x640-1.jpg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would tend to agree with @Goonergal . I'm fine with liver but I have a tiny amount of onion and have it with back bacon, fried egg on top and wilted spinach. I use M&S rose veal liver which is not cheap but delicious!

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Now, I am quite perplexed:
1. What do the egg companies do with all those egg yolks that are are separated from the egg whites; and
2. How do they extract the egg whites on an industrial scale making sure that it is free from egg yolks?

Mysteries of life!

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
breakfast; low carb granola, a toasted slice of carbzone bread and butter
mocha
lunch; four seeded crackers, pate, peppers, celery and cherry tomatoes.
tea: roast chicken, broccoli, carrots, home made gravy, tiny yorkshire, strawberries , raspberries, blueberries and cream. 90% lindt
pistachios

I think my stomach biome is smiling today with the rainbow of fruit and veg!
What do the egg companies do with all those egg yolks that are are separated from the egg whites;
The same company have started selling them as an only yolk version, just like the whites @jape ! Not tried them but as an egg white hater they sound perfect:)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch two boiled eggs and a hm lc buttered roll followed by yoghurt with berries and a big handful of nuts. I shouldn’t buy nuts haven’t for a while but succumbed to buying a bag when buying my seeded crackers yesterday in M and S
Dinner venison meatballs in a passata with some med veg and 10g of lc high protein pasta and small glass of red followed by my last lc valentines jelly cream.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Nothing much so far - BG all over the place odd bites of things to try to get BG up to a sustainable level. Currently BG is on the high side so will take some insulin and have some salami and then some yoghurt with raspberries. Some cold potatoes on standby, in case it isn't enough.

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Tori71 thanks for the cracker review. Good to know in case my M&S decides to stop stocking them again
Thanks too for the liver comments @Goonergal @shelley262 and @maglil55 I have noticed a spike previously but ignored it as an anomaly. I don’t think it is though, I think I must just eat too much of it - certainly more than I’d eat as a pate. Pate doesn’t affect me. I also wonder if it’s something to do with the stored glycogen in the fresh liver? Either way I’ll only have a very small piece next time and monitor carefully.

Reactions: Tori71 and maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch today was butchers sliced topside with courgette ‘no - tato’ salad. Then a handful of Montezumas buttons.
Dinner - h/ m burger topped with a slab of Stilton and a chopped salad.
There was a snack at some point of a couple of slices of salami and smoked cheese.