What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B- steak and eggs. (Breakfast of kings.)
L- 2 air fried chicken wings. Making a chicken pie for tomorrows lunch but saved the wings.
D- roast beef and sauerkraut in SLC roll. Few glasses of wine

Question for IP experts Hope I’m not derailing. ( @maglil55 and @AndBreathe Looking at you ) I cooked the whole chicken as usual on the trivet with 1 cup water for 6mins/lb) and although it got up to pressure and counted down, the valve was in the ‘down’position, just jiggling about. I tried tapping it gently in case it was stuck but it wasn’t. Chicken cooked ( I checked temp) ok but there was much less fluid left than usual. If I’d cooked much longer it would have all evaporated I think. No idea why the valve didn’t pop up - any ideas? I’m a bit worried about using it now. It is properly cleaned and washed each time.

have you tried dismantling and cleaning the float valve To. Heck it isn’t bunked up?

Page 38 of the manual outlines what to do.

Oh, and in the spirit of the thread, we had (home made) curry this evening. We both have indigestion now. It was very tasty though.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday's uneeded lunch was 3 kind nut bars which I bought while on a long drive home and I was bored whilst mooching the shop during a break. Intended to eat one but binged all 3.

D was stuffed cabbage, stuffed with a bolognaise style mince.

Today skipped breakfast for early yoga then the supermarket shop.

L was a rump steak. Had bought 8 to freeze individually but one was an odd cut, very thick on one side but thin on the other. So threw it in the air fryer. Had a small avocado while waiting for it to cook.

D: deconstructed fajitas - chicken, salsa, guacamole, peppers, sour cream, salad, no wrap.

Out at a boring fundraiser so nibbled the snacks on offer, hula hoops mainly. Drank brandy and soda

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

RosemaryJackson

Morning all. Just my coffee and a tablespoon of Baileys to start my day off right. I have a Turkey thigh joint to roast plus cauli and cheese mash with sprouts and broccoli and a small amount of carrot. One of you ladies suggested I use bone broth for gravy but I don't really know what to do with it. Any help out there please? And which are the best bones to make broth? I got lamb bones. I will probably have the old stand-by, boiled eggs, for tea. Happy Sunday.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all. Just my coffee and a tablespoon of Baileys to start my day off right. I have a Turkey thigh joint to roast plus cauli and cheese mash with sprouts and broccoli and a small amount of carrot. One of you ladies suggested I use bone broth for gravy but I don't really know what to do with it. Any help out there please? And which are the best bones to make broth? I got lamb bones. I will probably have the old stand-by, boiled eggs, for tea. Happy Sunday.
If I were making gravy with any bones, I would roast them off first, with a few stock pot type vegetables, then make a stock with them, but not with gallons of water - just enough to cover. When done, strain, season, add some butter and it should be fine, but it might be a bit pale (could add some tomato puree early on to give a bit more colour). If you are lucky enough to be able to get marrow bones, if you have any way to cut them in half lengthways (butcher might do it) and just roast them in the oven (airfryer? don't know because I don't use one but it should be OK) and use the roasted bone marrow to make gravy, or to add to stews.

RosemaryJackson

If I were making gravy with any bones, I would roast them off first, with a few stock pot type vegetables, then make a stock with them, but not with gallons of water - just enough to cover. When done, strain, season, add some butter and it should be fine, but it might be a bit pale (could add some tomato puree early on to give a bit more colour). If you are lucky enough to be able to get marrow bones, if you have any way to cut them in half lengthways (butcher might do it) and just roast them in the oven (airfryer? don't know because I don't use one but it should be OK) and use the roasted bone marrow to make gravy, or to add to stews.
Thanks Ann. Will do that. Going to get some more tomorrow and will ask him to chop them for me.

Reactions: Pipp

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had bacon and eggs with a pancake from the ones I made yesterday for Em.

Not promising anything more to myself for the rest of the day. We'll see how it goes, but I might get too involved with baking and just forget about eating. Couple of ideas for tomorrow's visitor to try out.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wednesday 23 November - bed 7.2 FBG 7.4 @MrsA2 & @RosemaryJackson- been there, done it....in fact, I had a similar picky day today. Eldest grandson was having an "off day" so I had to collect him from school in between doing a zillion other things. It turned out to be something and nothing but they were short staffed so I was the best option? At least he helped me at ours.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with scrambled egg.

L. CC snowconut stick.

D. Boys were here for dinner so I ended up picking. Ate about 1/4 of grandsons GF steak pie and didn't really want anything else savoury. DGF order arrives (multiple Christmas pies!) Tried one of their Christmas puddings with a dash of cream. They are quite dense but a blast in the microwave softens them. Nicely spiced. Later I had a CC Little chocolate pot.

Thursday 24 November - bed 7 FBG 6.9 Fuzzy head has finally gone. Schools are on strike so I should have had a day to myself but ended up with eldest Grandson in the afternoon after swimming. He's no trouble and it saves both of them sniping at each other.

B. 2 slices of SLC toast with ox tongue and whipped cheese. TAG

L. Nothing. At Aqua then picking up grandson.

D. Courgetti carbonara. CC little chocolate pot.
I have to laugh. My spellchecker keeps wanting to call this a Little Richard Pot!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Friday 25 November - Bed and FBG both 7.9. Boys back at school and well warned I have no time to mess about when I collect them at lunchtime as I have to get to the Eye Pavilion for pre op. Thankfully, they confirmed I could drive there today.

B. TAG and a slice of SLC toast and lurpack.

L. Nothing.

D. SLC pizza and a DGF Christmas pie with a dash of cream.

@AndBreathe - I got all the Allergies sorted. GP called before I went to the hospital to say they'd printed a summary so I nipped in to collect it. Dentist had already confirmed, any local anesthetic had to be minus any adrenaline content and, the hospital are playing safe and avoiding anything from the penicillin family plus all the pre med pills. There's a lot that cause an "allergic sensation" which passes in about 15 mins but there's none of these being used. They've been very thorough.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah well. Here we go again. Plans never seem to work out in this house.

I was about to get started on my baking experiments when Neil came into the kitchen with rubber gloves and a bottle of bleach to deal with the mould growing on the ceiling above the sinks. That took about an hour. there's still time to do gthe baking, but I'm a bit kind of exhausted now. Just having a cup of tea to revive me and having a rest in a comfortable chair (not the big comfortable one, which would make me go to sleep) and I'll make a late start on the baking.

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Coffee and cream x 2
Cottage cheese and cherry tomatoes
Belly Pork and cherry tomatoes Far too many cherry tomatoes pm!

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah well. Here we go again. Plans never seem to work out in this house.

I was about to get started on my baking experiments when Neil came into the kitchen with rubber gloves and a bottle of bleach to deal with the mould growing on the ceiling above the sinks. That took about an hour. there's still time to do gthe baking, but I'm a bit kind of exhausted now. Just having a cup of tea to revive me and having a rest in a comfortable chair (not the big comfortable one, which would make me go to sleep) and I'll make a late start on the baking.
Did half of the baking I intended and it will just have to do. I can barely stand just now. However, I think the traybake of date and apricot slices will do for tomorrow.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@AndBreathe - I got all the Allergies sorted. GP called before I went to the hospital to say they'd printed a summary so I nipped in to collect it. Dentist had already confirmed, any local anesthetic had to be minus any adrenaline content and, the hospital are playing safe and avoiding anything from the penicillin family plus all the pre med pills. There's a lot that cause an "allergic sensation" which passes in about 15 mins but there's none of these being used. They've been very thorough.
Don’t want to derail the thread, other than to ask if you have tryptase levels in your blood checked, @maglil55 ? PM me if you want info.

Today I had my usual Sunday brunch of egg, bacon, sausage and mushrooms, with several cups of black coffee.
no lunch
dinner: rump steak, halloumi fries, fried greens, and (not one of my best ideas) a purple rain Jamaican cocktail. No idea of the full list of ingredients, but 18% proof, and blood glucose into double figures an hour later. Should stickwith red wine. It was delicious, though. Currently diluting my blood by drinking lots of water.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I use my instant pot pressure cooker for bone broth, it’s just quicker than stove top but same results. Bones (as @Annb says, try to get marrowbones) personally I don’t use lamb bones because I find the flavour overpowering, but it’s all personal taste ( I love lamb meat) add a splash of apple cider vinegar, and any old veg including garlic, onion, celery, carrots.cover with water and simmer for ages or pressure cook for an hour or two.

I have to say that starting the day with coffee and baileys is a very impressive way to wake up.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast today was ham and eggs. Load of black coffee as usual.
Mini lunch of nuts
Dinner - thought I’d ring the changes from a Sunday roast and do chicken and mushroom pie. -shortcrust pasty crust for the masses. Fat head dough for me.Then I remembered grandchildren don’t like mushrooms so made them 2 mini pies with chicken and veg. A lot of work in the end and I’ll stick to a roast in future. Cabbage and broccoli with it for me. Plus wine of course. (Photo of all the different forms of the same pie)
IMG_1428.jpg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a food dr bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and carb killa bar.
Tea at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by one Jaffa cake!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a chance for a lie in today which I was looking forward to, but woke really early grrrr!
B: 2 lots of hm yoghurt with seeds, 1 bowl had 8 blackberries in.
12:30 a chunk of stilton, some guacamole (yes it was a strange mix that will NOT be repeated. 4 sqs of a lc ginger spice cake I've made and frozen the other 16 squares
Yoga relaxation afternoon 4 hours of lolling around on cushion, lovely.
D: roast pork with Tenderstem broccoli, green beans and caulifower.
2 of my hm lc chocolate ice cream after.

Very cross Ive had a few days eating lots as I have an hba1c tomorrow. Part of thinking it will be good, part of thinks it will be bad, carb and portion creep.