What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 admire you trying carnivore to help improve your bgs. I m not sure if I would be able to do it I've never managed to cut out veggies I love the different textures too much.

It’ll be a bonus if it helps my BGs which are still unaccountably high, but tbh it’s mostly to support and encourage my daughter who developed terrible psoriasis this time last year after a stressful event. Carnivore woe has a good track record at helping this sort of disease. We’re keeping everything crossed, as you say, it’s quite extreme and I’m already missing veg!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Such a festive day!

First I went swimming with a friend. We're both a tad depressed so getting out and doing something counts as a real achievement. We also had lots of fun behaving like unruly teenagers and annoying the pool guards by throwing in a gigantic (like 10 meters long) floating tube in the pool. It had been sitting at the side against the wall, clearly not to be used because half the pool was reserved for lap swimmers. Sorry lap swimmers, it was great fun!

Afterwards, we had a beer at my place when pizza was delivered for my neighbours-in-the-garden, so I got my much loved one bite of pizza in taxes for accepting the delivery for starters. :hungry:

Main meal was a low carb wrap with shawarma meat, onion, bell pepper and mushrooms, with endive for lettuce and a strong garlic sauce. Also :hungry:.

1693600482952.png

And then came dessert, which I never have usually.
It was the most thoughtful present sent to me by @JoKalsbeek after our talk about pepernoten on the christmas thread. :joyful: (https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...echanisms-swaps-recipes-anything-goes.198916/)

Pepernoten and chocolate covered pepernoten can only be bought in large bags, which don't work for me, they're morish of the bag must be finished kind.
But after I mentioned that dosing for just 3 chocolate covered ones and a regular wouldn't be a problem, she sent them to me!
And she packed them in such a lovely way that having just 4 seemed very decadent, like having 4 expensive pralines. :happy:
She even did the whole weighing and counting pepernoten thing to do the calculations: 7.3 gr of carbs for 3 chocolate and one regular pepernoot. :hilarious:

(Lighter for pepernoten scale. One pepernoot had already been eaten by this time.)
1693601050998.png

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Such a festive day!

First I went swimming with a friend. We're both a tad depressed so getting out and doing something counts as a real achievement.

And then came dessert, which I never have usually.
It was the most thoughtful present sent to me by @JoKalsbeek after our talk about pepernoten on the christmas thread.

What a great day! And what a super thoughtful present. I hope it’s helped to lift your low mood.

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Managed to last till 1.30pm to break my fast with 3 slices of back bacon, a large sliced mushroom and half a large tomato, all fried in butter.

For dinner we had baked salmon cooked in parchment, marie rose sauce on the side, lettuce, 5 cherry tomatoes, sliced cucumber, and a tablespoon of coleslaw.

Followed by 4 smallish strawberries topped with double cream.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
yesterday usual brekkie of slice LC toast, good butter, copious tea (Builders with v little milk!)
Lunch was small plate mixed salad with a finger of Shropshire Blue crumbled over the top. Tea.
Supper was Scampi and side salad.
Today will be same brekkie and lunch. I love that a small finger of Shropshire Blue crumbled over salad can really elevate it like a dressing never could.
Supper will be Chick Shaslik from Waitrose with two veg samosas.

@maglil55 gout is truly horrible and I suffered terribly for a few years. Its passed down on the paternal side of my family, we all had it. Several years ago when I got it in both heels at the same time I was left crawling around the house on my hands and knees for several days. I decided then to go down the medication route. I take 300mg Allopurinol daily and it did take a whole year to melt crystals and prevent flare ups. I‘ve had it in wrists, knees, ankles but it seems to start in big toes. There is no way now I would be unmedicated. I once went to a friends wedding in a wheelchair and came home prone on the back seat of the car. Horrible, awful disease.
@Antje77 I loved reading about your joyful day, we all need to do silly things sometimes.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: In the oven at the moment - haddock and bacon rollups.

2nd meal: some more of the pork mince with tomato and beans. The small amount of beans is pushing the carb content up a bit but there's no carb at all in the breakfast.

It's not going to be as many calories as the nurse wants. It's not going to be as many carbs as she wants either but I can only do what I can do so she'll just hav e to put up with it.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm going to try this next week, sounds delicious!
I put them in a container, all snuggled together because they were the wrong shape of fish to hold together very well, and baked them at 200C but made the mistake of covering them with foil. They would have been better baked without the foil and also better with thick chunks of fish wrapped in bacon. An experiment, of course, and could have been better, but acceptable. Next time - saltier bacon and thick chunks of fish.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I put them in a container, all snuggled together because they were the wrong shape of fish to hold together very well, and baked them at 200C but made the mistake of covering them with foil. They would have been better baked without the foil and also better with thick chunks of fish wrapped in bacon. An experiment, of course, and could have been better, but acceptable. Next time - saltier bacon and thick chunks of fish.
Got it.
Thick chunks of fish, extra salt on the bacon. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: shelley262 and Annb

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenguinMum thank heavens the Allopurinol is working for you now and you don’t have to suffer like that any more. It sounds horrendous.
Todays carnivore food was:
Brunch - cheese omelette.
Mid aft - couple of slices chorizo
D- large ribeye steak reverse seared. No red wine with it which was sad.
IMG_3289.jpg

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
11ish two boiled eggs and one keto roll with black coffee
1ish a few garden berries with LC lemon cake and yoghurt then black tea and one square of 100% chocolate
5ish lamb curry and low carb roti with glass of gin and soda then for pudding LC chocolate brownie and decaffeinated coffee with a dash of cream.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs and scallops topped with chopped, flat-leaf parsley, asparagus spears with a generous knob of butter, all seasoned with black pepper.
Water to swallow tablets.
Espresso.

L: Tuna steaks rolled in finely chopped celery and sage, baked with red peppers and aubergines, moistened with double cream and topped with grated Cheddar cheese.
Steamed runner beans with a knob of butter.
Salad using lettuce, Romano peppers, vine tomatoes, Welsh onions, mint and Kalamata olives, dressed with an olive oil, garlic and balsamic vinaigrette and topped with roasted macadamia nuts.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.
Two squares, Montezuma's Absolute Black 100% chocolate.

D: Seafood salad made with tiger prawns and mussels, rocket, avocado, cucumber, salad burnet, cherry tomatoes, salad onions and Halkidiki olives with home-made aioli for dipping and topped with toasted pistachios.

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
3 thick slices of back bacon, 3 sliced med mushrooms and half a large sliced tomato, all sauteed in butter.

Two mugs of coffee frothed with double cream.

G&T in the afternoon

Belly pork, tenderised in the slow cooker before baking in the oven with Blue Dragon sweet chilli sauce finely brushed over the pork to lift it a bit. Sauteed cauli rice with butter and olive oil.

Glass of red wine, and two squares of 90% Lindt dark chocolate.

Just under 20g carbs.

1693678230281.jpeg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Dinner: salmon, cream cheese and cucumber on a low carb roll.

2023-09-02 19.22.44.jpeg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a carb killa bar
Dinner at a type 2 friends house. Creamy garlic prawns with spinach, cherry tomatoes and courgette.

View attachment 62945
That looks really good!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, that’s a good system.
I used to stab a lot more until the Health Board decreed I didn't need strips. After 13 years, I'd say the honest reason is cost cutting. I still need strips to get an idea of how accurate (or otherwise) the Libre is, but that's when I limited them to the current regime. The Libre works out better for me than constant testing. I did try without it, but the control just was not there.

• Friendly
Reactions: saky, DJC3 and Annb