What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Coffee and cream x 2
Coffee and unsweetened almond milk
Ham and cheese Omlette
Pork Chop and tomato

shelley262

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Floods rising still here and forecast to peak at a historic high overnight on Thursday. Very sad to see homes flooded again and even the flood works to build flood barriers on the East side are now under water and they are unable to put up temporary barriers because of the permanent barriers work in progress. Unfortunately our historic high flooding peaks seem to be becoming more frequent. Thank heavens dry forecast so hopefully water will peak on Friday and then crossing fingers start to retreat.
Back to topic
Mid morning small kefir with my supplements
Lunch time some kimchi with olives and celery with range of cheese and four low carb seeded crackers
IMG_20240103_131920 (2024-01-03T18_29_46.000)_kindlephoto-618763731.jpg

Dinner roasted pork with cauliflower cheese and glass of red wine followed by LC crumble and yoghurt.
As regular followers of this thread know I'm very keen on fermented food and have kefir daily so I got excited when I heard that M and S in partnership with Zoe had brought out a new product a gut health shot then I checked the nutrition! It's basically kefir with some fruit puree which makes it higher carb than normal kefir. Presumably fruit added to sweeten it see:
May order and see as OH is keen

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thought I'd add some roasted Brussels sprouts to my 2nd meal so I blanched them and now have them in the oven with some bacon fat (might as well use it up and sprouts with bacon or ham is a well known combination).

I wish I’d seen your post before cooking my dinner. I had sprouts but no bacon. I did however have a little pot of bacon fat from 2 days ago that would have been perfect to cook them in. I agree, It’s a tasty combination.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Floods rising still here and forecast to peak at a historic high overnight on Thursday. Very sad to see homes flooded again and even the flood works to build flood barriers on the East side are now under water and they are unable to put up temporary barriers because of the permanent barriers work in progress. Unfortunately our historic high flooding peaks seem to be becoming more frequent. Thank heavens dry forecast so hopefully water will peak on Friday and then crossing fingers start to retreat.
Back to topic
Mid morning small kefir with my supplements
Lunch time some kimchi with olives and celery with range of cheese and four low carb seeded crackers
View attachment 65303
Dinner roasted pork with cauliflower cheese and glass of red wine followed by LC crumble and yoghurt.
As regular followers of this thread know I'm very keen on fermented food and have kefir daily so I got excited when I heard that M and S in partnership with Zoe had brought out a new product a gut health shot then I checked the nutrition! It's basically kefir with some fruit puree which makes it higher carb than normal kefir. Presumably fruit added to sweeten it see:

I saw on the news yesterday night what the floods are doing in your neck of the woods. They also said how much more frequently they are happening. It’s such a worry. I do hope the water starts to recede on Fri as predicted.
That’s really disappointing about the M&S /Zoe kefir collaboration. Shame on Zoe in particular.
I’ll stick with my goat kefir. I’m getting quite addicted to the ‘fizzy Parmesan’ taste

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Kefir and vitamins to start the day and a couple of black coffees through the morning.
L- boiled eggs with a SRSLY seedy roll, chorizo and cheese. 1 baton HC 85% choc
D- roast beef, sprouts and mushrooms. I was really happy with this beef- I usually buy pasture fed from local farm but they are shut atm. This was a half price, unspecified ‘roasting joint’ from the Coop, I wasn’t expecting great things. Cooked for 6 hr on dehydrate function of my Ninja Airfryer then wrapped in foil for 1/2 hr or so. It was perfectly cooked and will definitely be my go to method now.
Pudding was the last of the brandy clotted cream. (I’m supposed to be doing dry January, but forgot about the brandy aspect. Never mind)
IMG_1704309596.077820.jpg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ps forgot to add @shelley262 and @AndBreathe the chunk which flew off my daughter’s roof yesterday was found in the neighbours garden and Paul’s roofer friend went round this morning to fix the hole temporarily. Insurance unlikely to pay as it was originally a bit of a botch job done by her father in law

shelley262

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wish I’d seen your post before cooking my dinner. I had sprouts but no bacon. I did however have a little pot of bacon fat from 2 days ago that would have been perfect to cook them in. I agree, It’s a tasty combination.
I even keep pots of chicken fat that I skim off my hm chicken stock and the use to cook poultry. Nothing wasted as far as possible!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Skipped breakfast
Cwc
L: a bit of gammon, a bit of cheese. Last of the (commercial) pickled veg.
Libre finished yesterday so no bg records, but I'd had a suspicion these were taking me too high.
A bag chicken crackling. Bit of 85% dark choc.

Compared the chicken crackling packet with one of the pork crunch. The chicken is double the fat, carbs about the same but more flavourings added to the chicken. The pork weighs less but I struggle to eat a whole bag whereas the chicken was easier to eat.

D: gammon with 2 fried eggs and swede chips. A small coffee icecream with a splash of Baileys.

The Baileys Light has been given a strong thumbs down from the whole family. It doesn't taste like the original and was actually voted unpleasant by some. It doesn't even act well in hot chocolate or over ice cream. Has quite an odd chemical taste so heaven knows what they replaced the cream and sugar with to make it "Light". We will be throwing most of it away ( and I usually don't waste anything!)

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I saw on the news yesterday night what the floods are doing in your neck of the woods. They also said how much more frequently they are happening. It’s such a worry. I do hope the water starts to recede on Fri as predicted.
Ps forgot to add @shelley262 and @AndBreathe the chunk which flew off my daughter’s roof yesterday was found in the neighbours garden and Paul’s roofer friend went round this morning to fix the hole temporarily. Insurance unlikely to pay as it was originally a bit of a botch job done by her father in law
I would say it's worth contacting her insurer, after all it's for times like this that we fork out the premiums! IME, they tell you to go ahead with repairs, so it doesn't hold up urgent remedial work.

I believe storm Henk is our eighth named storm this Winter. It looks as though climate change has affected the frequency as well as the intensity of our weather phenomena.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a phd bar.
Dinner: carbonara made with 50g of Natural and Low Carb Kitchen pasta (so glad I didn’t have the suggested 100g portion (!) I’m stuffed!)

2024-01-03 19.22.13.jpeg

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today, the tenth day of Christmas

B: Two poached eggs topped with a knob of butter, avocado and four tiger prawns seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Mushroom stroganoff made with chestnut mushrooms, dried porcini mushrooms, onions, vegetable stock, tomato purée, paprika, garlic, olive oil, butter, parsley and soured cream.
Cauliflower rice with toasted cashews and peas.
Braised cavolo nero with garlic and toasted almonds.
Skipped pud.
Water to drink.

D: Seafood salad made with brown shrimps and mussels, lettuce, Romano peppers, celery, baby plum tomatoes, Kalamata olives, mint and salad onions, dressed with an olive oil, balsamic and garlic vinaigrette, topped with roasted macadamia nuts.
Water to swallow tablets.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I really need to start cooking properly again, I keep finding excuses for one more day of low carb crackers/bread with cheese or (store bought) egg mayo or such. On the 1st it was a new years dip in our local (very small) canal with lots of neighbours, followed by a get together, plus a hangover; yesterday it was going to the pool with a friend and getting home at 7 pm, without motivation for cooking still.
Today it was making a new couch for the living room. Well, my neighbour did most of the work but I was still knackered after we were finished, and had wrestled the old one out the door and the new one in.

Todays crackers were one with pate and one with egg mayo and bacon. Midnight snack will be chicory and hummus as always.

The couch isn't completely finished yet, it needs a cover still (a white couch with a very muddy garden plus pets doesn't make sense at all), but for now it looks like it's much friendlier on my painful neck and back than the old one. :joyful:
And completely made with materials we had laying about, no cost at all!

1704314406086.png
1704314492868.png

sueh21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all. Getting back into normal eating hopefully now festivities are over. Still plenty of cheese left but pacing myself!
Yesterday
B Yog, seeds, raspberries
L Avocado, hummous,salad
D Fish pie made with celeriac mash, green beans, broccoli

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: 2 RyVita with cheese melted onto them.

Out to get foot pulses checked - they're still there - and bandaging done. rushing as usual so I just put chunkis of cheddar onto the Ryvita and microwaved for one minute. Quick and tasty but the 2 crispbreads mean I need to be very careful about carbs for the rest of the day. Still managed to almost have a hypo by the time I got home (overheating and starting the shake at 3.3).

2nd meal will be bacon and eggs. There is still a small portion of buttered chicken left, but I don't feel like yet more chicken.

Adeace

Breakfast 2 x boiled eggs with toast and lurpak light butter.
Lunch - Pork Pie and pickled onions.
First time posting here, looking at things need to get a low carb diet, and to exercise more, but not sure what foods actually are low in carbs but I still like !! having steak pie with chips and gravy for tea.
Need to exercise is I believe one of my main issues rather than necessarily overeating - If I can improve that im sure can reduce my h1ab2c back to a reasonable level again, had it under control for about 3 years up until covid striking and then fell back into bad habits and less exercise !!.

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Had one of those days and eating went slightly up the pole. Parcel didn't turn up again. Food delivery broke down. Then 2 hours late.
So Coffee and cream x 2
Coffee and unsweetened almond milk
Pork chop and tomato
Salami and cream cheese (too much cc)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Adeace , welcome to this thread. :)
First time posting here, looking at things need to get a low carb diet, and to exercise more, but not sure what foods actually are low in carbs but I still like !!
I'd have a read of this informative piece, written by one of our members to start with: https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html

Your food choices for today are quite heavy on the carbs, with toast, pie crust and chips, so lots of room for improvement. :)

(edited to put in correct link.)

Last edited:

Paul41

There are times when you can’t plan for many reasons so just eat as you can. That was me today as we were so busy.
Breakfast ( rushing out the door late) Greek yogurt, berries and seeds.
Lunch 2 sausages, an egg and some salad.
Tea “Spag Bol “ with shiritaki noodles .
All unplanned but I’m pleased with this .