What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That made me laugh, @Antje77!

@Rachox, I use 1 tspn of small cut Branston to about two of mayo. It gives a nice acidic zing that I find goes well with a burger.
I do hope you see some improvement with your foot soon, you must be so frustrated.

@PenguinMum, that made my eyes water as I don't do eyes, even though I'm having to atm, nothing like you're suffering though. Poor you!

@PocketRocket, I tried some yellow pea fusilli a few years ago when gluten free & not diabetic. Erm...it was dire! I didn't like it at all, sorry. Now diabetic, I sometimes have Explore Cuisine edamami or black bean spaghetti (sold in Sainsbury's), that is much more palatable. They're lower in carbs than the yellow pea, @13.1/100g & 14.3/100g, but higher than Shelley's. I use 60g to keep the carbs down, although, I only eat one meal a day so could have the 100g but it is filling.

Dinner tonight was prawn salad followed by 6 cherries.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Back home after a wonderful evening yesterday and a completely rubbish night of sleep on the ship. So little sleep, interspersed with hypo alarms, that I decided that going for a cold swim would be quite unwise so I didn't.
Hopefully swimming will still be possible on monday evening instead, I expect this will be the last day swimming is possible without bringing an axe, considering the weatherforecast. I plan to swim after my first kickboxing lesson, which will be from 7 to 8 pm, so I'm looking at a proper night swim! :joyful:

Despite feeling quite hungover from too little sleep and too many hypo alarms (both real hypos and false alarms), I still cooked a proper meal!
Zuurkoolstamppot (sauerkraut mash) with cauliflower, rookworst (Dutch smoked sausage) and pork belly done two ways.

Neighbour dog (the black and white one) chose exactly the right moment to pay me a short visit, right when pieces of meat were distributed and plate was to be emptied. Ridiculous animals, they even ate all the sauerkraut!

1704578046784.png

1704578719870.png

Last edited:

PocketRocket

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Greek yogurt, blueberries and raspberries. Cup of green tea
L: Will be large flat mushroom lightly and slowly panfried with a bit of olive oil, then low salt/sugar baked beans on the side.
D: Parents visiting for dinner so we'll have a charcuterie board with olives, stuffed peppers, mackerel pate and veg crudités. I'll put bread out, but personally give it a miss

I love food so it's great seeing what everyone else is having!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Bit of a quandry this morning about breakfast. I have eggs and I have cheese but felt pretty ill for much of yesterday and blamed it on the cheese at breakfast. No bacon or ham left. I know I have some gammon steaks in the freezer, but couldn't find them so I just pulled out a pack of beef stew and that will do for breakfast.

Also pulled out a pack of frozen haddock and one of roasted pork chunks. Not sure which one to use for 2nd meal.but it will be one of them.

Managed to get my BG down to 7.5 yesterday and it stayed there all day, so am doing something right. It's still 7.5 this morning. For some, that may not be much of an achievement, but for me in recent days, it is. Apart from roasted tomatoes yesterday evening to go with the salmon, I had no carbs yesterday at all. It does seem to be the way to go for now - not just low carb but almost zero carbs. If I can keep BGs around the 7 to 8 mark, I'll add in some extra veg next week.

saky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Break fast - coffee with almond milk, salted almonds 100grams
Lunch - spinach&brocoli soup, mix veg fry, edamame -10pods, baba ganoush -4 spoons.
Snack - coffee with almond milk, salted almonds - 60grams
Dinner - spinach & brocoli soup, mix veg fry, swiss chard fry, 2 egg white omelet, silken tofu with raw veggies.
WhatsApp Image 2024-01-07 at 8.10.03 PM.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck for 15th Jan @Rachox what a disappointing setback.
@Antje77 well done on winning those anxiety battles. Go you!
@PenguinMum I’m glad you have an appt to see the consultant, I do hope he/she can explain what happened and reassure you.

I missed posting yesterday: I had DD broccoli cheddar soup for lunch and airfried pork steak with red peppers and spinach for dinner.

Today was Paul’s birthday so all the family round for Sunday Lunch. Roast Hogget , sprouts sauteed in bacon fat ( thanks @Annb ) puréed swede and cauli cheese. Champagne to start and a glass of Chateauneuf du Pape with dinner. A really lovely day.
Forgot to take photos so here’s one of yesterday’s soup.
IMG_1704652673.049823.jpg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Edited to clarify cheese on lc toast

Skipped breakfast in anticipation of a roast lunch, but did sneak a chunk of cheese mid morning as was very hungry

Pub roast lamb. Had 1 very small roast potato. Drank only tea and had 2 bites sons pudding

5:30 a lc hot chocolate witha good splash of Baileys

About to do some cheese on liv life lc toast

Last edited:

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two eggs scrambled in butter with a generous dollop of double cream, sautéed chestnut mushrooms and baby plum tomatoes, all seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Aperitif: dry white port.
Baked whole sea bass, belly stuffed with sprigs of thyme and garlic, drizzled with olive oil.
Steamed asparagus spears smothered with butter.
A medley of baked broccoli, cauliflower, leeks and sweet red peppers.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.
Four squares, Montezuma's Absolute Black 100% cocoa chocolate.

D: Salad made with anchovy fillets, eggs, avocado, lettuce, Padrón chillies, salad onions, lemon verbena and a touch of lemon juice, with a dollop of home-made aioli for dipping, topped with walnut halves.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 Happy Birthday to Mr DJC sounds like you had a wonderful meal and a lovely day I love special family celebrations.
Busy day for me today as flooding levels a bit lower so more able to get around so also used opportunity as out and about to do an almost one meal day. I find it helps me manage my weight to change things around a bit. Will probably do two meals tomorrow and then aim for a one meal day on Tuesday as I'm out and about again. I find it easier to fast if I'm distracted.
Mid am small kefir just enough to take my supplements
Black tea and black coffee and water during the day. It's now my third day of sticking to black coffee so I'm really hoping that I'll be able stay a black coffee drinker!
5 ish had steak, mushrooms, shallots a few plum tomatoes and four small new potato chips ( had been par boiled, sliced into chip shapes and frozen) also small glass of red wine then had black coffee and one 70% chocolate truffle ( one left now)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
As often happens, my best laid plans went awry yesterday. I had the beef stew and I had one RyVita because I was hungry by the time I got to it then it all went downhill and I started feeling nauseous again and oh so tired. Slept most of the day and when I woke up I really didn't feel like either fish or pork so decided to have nothing. BG was 5.9, so I figured that would be all right. Then, of course by 9pm I felt a bit hungrey, so I had some scrambled egg. BG by the time I went to bed (11.45pm) was 6.4.

BG this morning was 6.0. No breakfast so far and I'm still wondering what to have other than tea. I will have to use both the fish and the pork today.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Made a stir fry with the cubes of cooked pork plus the one remaining spring onion and some roasted tomato left from last time I had tomatoes, stirred in an egg and some soy sauce. Went down well.

That leaves the fish - it's haddock fillets. Probably poach them in milk.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Behind again! We've been a bit off colour. Hubby had a repeat of norovirus again!! I managed to avoid it but had some non-specific bug lurking. Tuesday 2 January bed 8.2 FBG 7.8

B. TAG and 2 slices of SRSLY toast with ox tongue and cheese & onion. Benecol dairy free.

L. 3 M&S crackers with wensleydale & port salut.

D. Slice of ox tongue with a scrambled egg & a Skinny Food Co mini sesame roll.

I didn't even fancy my little chocolate pot!

3 January - bed 8.6 FBG 7.6

B. TAG and 2 slices of SRSLY toast with ox tongue and coleslaw. Benecol dairy free.

L. Nothing

D. A bit of crustless quiche with coleslaw. CC little chocolate pot and 4 raspberries.

@DJC3 & @shelley262 - I have a lot of posts to get through, but I hope your daughter's roof issues & flooding problems are over by the time I read everything.

saky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Break fast - 100 grams almonds and almond milk coffee
Lunch - 1 egg white, spinach& brocoli soup, mix veg flat bread, silken tofu with veggies, ridge gourd curry
Dinner - brinjal chutney, mix veg flat bread, spinach&brocoli soup, okra fry, 2 egg whites. Almond milk coffee
WhatsApp Image 2024-01-08 at 7.59.16 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2024-01-08 at 7.59.15 PM.jpeg

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Went to the garage for car service.
They have a new coffee machine. Had three different coffees.
Smoked salmon
Biltong 1 oz
Coffee and unsweetened almond milk
Half a small roast chicken. Now feel sick!!!!!!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hugs to all those feeling poorly or sick not best time of year and it's been so cold today. Hoping to get out and about tomorrow so hope forecast overnight snow showers don't arrive.
Feel pleased that I've now managed four days sticking to black coffee it will be easier when all cream used up by others as it's harder when temptation there. Talking of which had my last truffle with black coffee just now so last of the naughty Christmas temptations.
Mid am small kefir and my supplements
Lunch three small eggs mushroom omelette with kimchi and celery
Dinner hm Bolognese with a small portion of low carb pasta followed by LC chocolate brownie with some yoghurt and then my last 70% chocolate truffle. My 100% chocolate in the cupboard won't be as difficult to ration.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
So yesterday had usual brekkie of slice LC toast, butter, copious tea.
Lunch was two fried eggs on slice LC toast.
Supper was Thai chicken stir fry with mixed pepper matchsticks.
Today same usual Brekkie.
Lunch chunks of Emmenthal and Red Storm cheeses, one ryvita. Tea.
Supper will be h/m chilli beef with cauli rice.
@DJC3 your celebration meal for Mr DJC’s birthday sounded lovely as did that cheddar & broccoli soup which I will put on my list. Didnt get above 2 degrees here today and Mr PM has chest infection so am giving him a wide berth.
@maglil55 sorry to hear of repeat Norovirus, once is bad enough!!
@Annb as usual you are being very stoic about your challenges.
@Antje77 your meals always sound so convivial with your furry friends.
@PocketRocket welcome and it does take time to figure it all out. Things I found useful were the info graphics for different categories of food on Diet Doctor and keeping a food diary to record safe and trusted meals and don’t forget swaps if cooking for others eg. Cauli rice instead of rice and green beans or courgetti instead of pasta.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Started today as usual with goat milk kefir and vitamins then it all became a bit frustrating. I had a doc appt at 9:00 but my car was frozen solid and I couldn’t get the door open. Luckily the surgery is only 20 min fast walk away so I just about made it ( I was going to drive so I could go shopping afterwards). Once home I spent the rest of the morning trying to get through to HMRC. When I finally did, I was told they had an 8 month backlog before my particular pension query would be assessed!
Lunch was a small cup of leftover broccoli cheddar soup, then salami crisps used to scoop up cream cheese and a DGF cake.
Mid aft 20g Montezuma’s chocolate, still feeling frustrated after the phone call.
Dinner: more leftovers - hogget and veg from yesterday then frozen blueberries mashed into cream to make ice cream.
@shelley262 you’ve inspired me to try black tea again, I’ve had 3 cups today. I think the trick for me is to make it much weaker than I’d usually have it.
@PenguinMum I keep meaning to ask if you’ve had an email from LoDough saying they will be back in 2024? I know that you, like me, enjoyed them as pizza bases.
@maglil55 more hugs from me for the norovirus and horrible bug. Did you get offered a trial of the new DD Hava app?