What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
no - there is enough oil in the chicken - it will be extracted during cooking so the meat is gently rolled around in it. It is not a vast amount, but of course it varies from pack to pack. You can sometimes get enough to make roast potatoes, but normally it takes a couple of times to accumulate enough for that. I get the crispy skins and himself gets the roast potatoes.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
That sounds so simple yet very yummy! I am going to HAVE to get myself an Actifry!!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That sounds so simple yet very yummy! I am going to HAVE to get myself an Actifry!!
I've had one for a while but this is the first time it will be doing something other than hubby's chips!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Have you tried making celeriac chips in it? We get through a lot of celeriac chips in this house but I would love to have something that turns out a bit crispier (if there is such a word)

Reactions: Tabbyjoolz

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tried making celeriac chips in it? We get through a lot of celeriac chips in this house but I would love to have something that turns out a bit crispier (if there is such a word)
I'm going to have a go at Tofu chips in a couple of days but I suspect they will have to go in the oven. 3 portions recipe
12 oz firm drained Tofu
1 large egg
1 tblsp each of mayonnaise and dijon mustard
1/2 tsp each sea salt, paprika and garlic powder
Black pepper to taste
4 oz freshly grated parmesan
Sea salt

Beat together egg, mayo, mustard , sea salt, paprika, garlic powder and black pepper according to taste.
Cut the Tofu into French fried size chips and spread out on a plate.
Spread the grated cheese on another (I would Grind pepper into the cheese rather than add to egg mix)
Dip Tofu chips into egg mix then roll to coat in the cheese a few at a time.
Heat oven to 200°C , line a baking sheet with parchment.
Spread the coated chips on the tray and bake for 20 mins. The suggest a min or 2 under a hot grill when cooked and the Grind some rock salt over them and eat!

Carbs 4.5g protein 36g fat 27g calories 400 per portion.

I think they would have to be frozen to cook in Actifry. They look crispy.
Not tried celeriac but I like it grated

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Today:

B Scrambled eggs with chilli, herbs and feta

L Cumberland sausage with lots of green veg (got a bit of spike after an hour, unfortunately, but fine after two). Wonder if the sausage had more rusk in it than I thought. It was from the work canteen so I was taking a bit of a risk)

Snack: a little bit of 100% cocoa dark chocolate with a small handful of almonds

D Bag of pork scratchings (choir night tonight, so it's my snack/evening meal)

Reactions: Chook

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK Another breakfast like yesterday.
B. 2 M&S 97% pork sausage, 1 rasher very crisp bacon, portobello mushroom, 4 cherry tomatoes, fried egg and a black Tea.
L. Slice of red Leicester wrapped in a slice of fire smoked turkey.
D. M&S Mushroom stir fry vegetables with added spiralised courgette, 8 small scallops and 4 king prawns. Stir fried with tblsp black bean paste , white wine vinegar, some water and Tamari Soy.
Snack Another 2 black teas and a less sugar latte.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have only used it for meat, as I found that the paddle tends to break up anything soft, and my first try with chips resulted in a sad mess - but meat done in it is succulent inside - it is worth having one just to cook chicken thighs, in my opinion.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I love the idea of the chicken thighs so I think I'll have to start saving my pennies!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: none
L: egg and bacon, herb tea
S: perky bar, 16g carbs, but no spike
D: blue cheese crackslaw (mince, chopped cabbage, courgette, yellow pepper, blue cheese, double cream, garlic, thyme, black pepper)

Reactions: geefull and mo53

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello
B. Tiny piece of Stilton

40 minutes swimming

D. Salmon fillets with soy, ginger and chilli marinade with salad. Strawberries with yoghurt

Supper. Slice of ham with spoonful of houmous. Pomegranate pot.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a rotten cold, feeling dismal.
morning meal ham and tomato
coffee and nuts
evening meal mixed salad with eggs and cheese, a little onion and a handful of curly kale, oil and vinegar dressing

Reactions: Chook and mo53

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wednesday
breakfast - porridge with flaxseed
lunch - half a can of lidl tomato and basil soup followed by walking MIL's dog for an hour round the forest walk, very pleasant if a bit muddy :)
dinner - haddock, a few peas and some broccoli.

Thursday
breakfast - porridge with flaxseed
lunch - homemade beef and veggie soup.
dinner - nice beefburger with onions with cauliflower and carrots.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Today:

Breakfast: Bacon roll (Lidl Protein Roll)
Lunch: Nothing
Dinner: Chicken and Mediterranean Tray Bake (Chicken thighs, aubergine, courgettes, red and yellow peppers, sun dried tomatoes, chorizzo, red onion and olives - probably with some cauli couscous
Supper: Small bag Sunbites Popcorn

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello
B. Blackberries with Greek yoghurt

L. 1/2 slice ham with spoonful of houmous

40 minutes swimming

Smoked haddock with asparagus. 7 strawberries with yoghurt.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B. My spiralised frittata
(Basically 1 egg beaten with parsley and a dash of double cream and whatever veggies I have. Today it was mushrooms , tomatoes and spiralised courgette done in a mini pan and finished under the grill. Puffs up nicely)
L. Nothing - 1st Nativity play to attend complete with reindeer, santas, stars , angels, usual wise men , Mary/Joseph/baby, sheep a couple of Christmas trees and a donkey that wanted to be a dinosaur!
D. Not what I intended as hubby ate while I was out at the performance so it became
Fire smoked turkey, ham, stuffed chicken one slice each, boiled egg, half avocado, mixed leaf salad and tblsp Philly Light and 3 walnuts.
Snack 30g bit of Cornish Cove 2 black teas and one less sugar latte.
Well down in carbs and My fitness Pal won't complete the daily diary so added in 2 Lotus coffee biscuits (and it still won't complete- wants me to eat more!)
Tomorrow off on the Santa Train Trip so probably another snacking day.

Reactions: Chook and geefull

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Friday -
Breakfast - porridge with added flax seed and almond milk.
Lunch - cabbage braised with a slice of bacon, orange pepper, garlic, a bit of sliced leek, a knob of butter and lashings of black pepper.
Dinner - stuffed red pepper (mince, onions, sliced leek and mushrooms with some tomato puree ), topped with cheese and tomato slices, celeriac cubes for me and one v. small cubed potato and celeriac for Mr. G baked with olive oil and garlic, and some broccoli on the side.

Haven't had celeriac baked in the oven like that before, it was very good.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Breakfast: Chipolatas and baked beans
Lunch: One of the leftover chipolatas
Christmas tree decorating snack: Glass of Prosecco and two of Lidl's tiny florentines - which had absolutely NO affect on my BS at all. I can't believe that anything so sweet and yummy had no affect at all.
Dinner: Fathead Pizza with olives on my side and chorizo on his side, home made pink coleslaw and green salad
Strictly (Come Dancing) snack: G'n'T with cheeses and (maybe) another experiment with the Lidl tiny florentines. ;)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday:
B: none
L; a Kind nut bar (16g carbs) no discernible spike
D: bolognese sauce, with lots of pepper, courgette and aubergine

Today:
exactly the same, plus scrambled egg and bacon for breakfast.