What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@shelley262 glad your cholesterol results are headed in the direction you want them to.

Struggling with BG levels today - running at least 1mmol higher than usual most of the day despite fasting. Finally came down to normal by mid-afternoon. OMAD day successfully completed. Dinner was kippers with butter followed by super quick home-made cheesecake. Just mixed some of the M&S whipped cream cheese with extra thick jersey cream and a few broken up Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons.

Reactions: maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
@Goonergal these bgs hey -they refuse to be completely predictable!
Started to make some more changes to work at the consumption of more of the HDL highering fats alongside a ditch of the double cream with drinks being black tea and black filter coffee - planning some green tea tomorrow once my new infusing teapot arrives!
Breakfast one slice bacon and egg cooked in olive oil
Lunch mackerel fillets in olive oil served with green salad and apple cider vinegar with seeds and 50g of mixed nuts
Mid afternoon slice choc olive oil cake
Dinner chicken curry with one slice of low carb bread “buttered “ with plant sterol spread ( not sure about this but giving it a go) glass red wine followed by sugar free lemon and lime jelly
I seem to be puppy sitting again for a couple of days next week - starting to feel like a full time job - so having to work tomorrow instead. He’s starting to feel like my dog!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well that didn't go to plan really. Bg well off anything I would predict (higher), more tired than I would have expected for what I actually did, unable to manage to see eating plan through. Pleased for you @Goonergal for sticking to OMAD and for you @shelley262 for cholesterol results and following through on action plan.
Today's menu:

B: 2 pints tea with homemade almond milk @ 5.30 then 2 pints @ 7.30
MMS: Mug coffee with double cream and vanilla ;
L: Homemade high fibre toffee and chocolate bar; 2 pints tea
MAS: 2 pints tea; cold pork; small slice asparagus quiche -was starving by 5.00
D: 3 x rashers Bacon , 3 Chipolatas (Waitrose 1); 2 eggs (own), mushrooms, 2 slices fried livelife bread; reduced sugar tomato sauce; Water

Last edited:

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow seems I've not been here in over 2 weeks!! :oops:
Today
B - jumbo oats, almond milk, raspberries, knob of butter and a coffee
coffee
S - boiled egg
D - wholemeal wiejska and Dijon mustard sandwich, 1 Jacobs cheddar and a salted caramel protein bar
coffee
T - 3 egg, 2 large mushroom, ham and hot chilli powder omelette :p, charlotte potatoes, steamed green beans and a bar moser roth 85%
coffee
S - babybel
3 pints water throughout the day xx

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, seems we are all struggling with strange BG levels today.
I had a coffee when I was getting ready but didn’t eat breakfast. Arrived in Bristol late morning for my grandsons birthday party. Didn’t eat until after 3pm but tested just a bit before that, first chance I had had after setting up the party venue, lots of fetching and carrying etc 6.1 which seemed high for me considering I hadn’t eaten anything since last night. Ate some cucumber, slices of pepper, celery, 1 cherry tom, 4 cocktail sausages and 2 mini sausage rolls, well it was a special occasion, 2 strawberries, BG 6.9, again high for me but from 6.1 and having had the sausage rolls I wasn’t too worried.
Small pack pork scratchings on the drive back to Devon, BG down to 4.9
Just had some Indian chicken skewers with mayo

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. I struggled a bit to keep any sort of control today too. Started well..

B: smoked salmon, scrambled egg, avocado. Coffee and cream

L:salad leaves with feta cheese, olives and olive oil/acv dressing. Adonis blondie to follow and more coffee with cream

Then, having cleaned the house to within an inch of its life and still with a couple of hours to wait until prospective buyers/ viewers arrived I got bored and started to snack....over the next couple of hours I had:
Few raspberries ( looked like they were going squishy) few brazil nuts. 2 HC choc buttons. Celery and 1/3 pot M&S cream cheese, few more raspberries and another HC button. Goodness!
I should have gone out or done something productive instead. After all that I dont think the people were interested in our house at all.

D: brined chicken portion ( went down v well @ Goonergal) with courgetti and broccoli cheese. Lemon and lime jelly ‘mousse’ with raspberries. 1 G&T and a couple of glasses of red.

Not proud!

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. I struggled a bit to keep any sort of control today too. Started well..

B: smoked salmon, scrambled egg, avocado. Coffee and cream

L:salad leaves with feta cheese, olives and olive oil/acv dressing. Adonis blondie to follow and more coffee with cream

Then, having cleaned the house to within an inch of its life and still with a couple of hours to wait until prospective buyers/ viewers arrived I got bored and started to snack....over the next couple of hours I had:
Few raspberries ( looked like they were going squishy) few brazil nuts. 2 HC choc buttons. Celery and 1/3 pot M&S cream cheese, few more raspberries and another HC button. Goodness!
I should have gone out or done something productive instead. After all that I dont think the people were interested in our house at all.

D: brined chicken portion ( went down v well @ Goonergal) with courgetti and broccoli cheese. Lemon and lime jelly ‘mousse’ with raspberries. 1 G&T and a couple of glasses of red.

Not proud!
There must have been something in the air today, seems we have all had some kind of struggle today :arghh:

Reactions: DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My only struggle today was trimming the shrub that every summer encroaches on our driveway. It’s grown so tall that it now has perfectly trimmed sides but a shaggy top as I can’t reach high enough anymore! Blood sugars ok despite the heat in the garden and the vigorous chopping, something that shot my sugars up last summer.
Anyway, breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: Skinny Café pancake with bacon and SF maple syrup followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid-afternoon: black coffee and peanut phd bar (checked sugars carefully after someone, sorry forget who, said it spiked them. I got a drop of 0.6mmol/l at the two hour mark, so reassured by that).
Dinner at pub: all day breakfast, sausage, bacon, egg, mushrooms, salad in place of baked beans and had only one hash brown, hubby got the other one! Then SF jelly and cream back at home

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too had a struggle yesterday with BGs - I hit 12.2! First I have from Friday to catch up on though.
This has been a chaotic week. After the "demon child" behaviour on Thursday No 2 had an early night on Thursday and was more normal by Friday. Me ? Bed 5.5 FBG 6.5. Friday was another busy day. Usual school/nursery run, pack bags for swimming, change of clothing, get No 1 from school, off to swimming, rush No 1 to get ready after swimming then back to Nursery for the "graduation" of all the little ones going off to school. All very emotional for the staff too.
B. A rushed affair. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream, Mattesons smoked sausage with 2 scrambled eggs. The rush probably explains the indigestion for the rest of the afternoon.
L. Nothing - no time
D. A bit delayed as No 2 went back to Nursery after graduation, had to get DIL to work, son and No1 home , pick up shopping then get back to get No 2 from Nursery and home!
Decided on a fishy salad. Tablespoon each of prawns and anchovies with a poached salmon fillet. 1/2 avocado, Santini tomatoes, lettuce, Tesco edamame and cauliflower crush and coleslaw. Couldn't finish it.
Went right off the rails later though and had a bit of lemon drizzle cake AND Halo Top (just in the interests of finishing the Halo Top you understand)
Saturday dawns and it is very much more of the same as today is No 2 grandsons birthday party at the Pony Club. Should have added yesterday I was also picking up the cake and another car seat as my car is ideal kiddy transport (think a mini bus would be ideal). Bed 5.7 FBG 6.6.
After reconfiguring the seats in the car, quick shower and change I didn't have time for breakfast.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing - pony club parties take a while what with grooming, riding , play areas and interconnected tree houses, slides , rope bridges, zip wires.....kids have a ball and it was a glorious day.
D. After being kiddy transport again took son to pick up a new van and finally remembered to pick up school clothes order from M&S and do some shopping.
Stir fried vegetables and chilli chicken which I over chillied and consumed 4 pints of water very rapidly. This is when it got confusing as my BGs shot up to 12.2 and there was no logical reason for it. Wondering if the hot weather contributed to it and the rushing about with No food as I was feeling sick? I had a sleep and felt off which I reckon was down to the high BGs.
They did come down over a 2 hour period so I had a cafe hag and a bit lemon drizzle. I've discovered that a little 30 second warm in the microwave benefits the lemon drizzle after defrosting.
Today - Sunday
After my rapid rise and descent bed 6.2 FBG was also 6.2 but DP took me to 8.5.
B. To stop the DP was fishy. Tablespoon of prawn cocktail, fresh anchovies, Santini tomatoes, Tesco's edamame and cauliflower crush, spoonful of that M&S whipped cream cheese. You were not kidding - it's lovely.
L. Nothing - swimming lessons.
D. Will be chicken breast with garlic butter and a bit of sage and onion stuffing. Broccoli cheese and I may make that celeriac dauphinoise again. I think I also deserve a wee prosecco after this week!

3 weeks to school holidays!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all

@Rachox very interesting about BG in the heat. I’m finding the same - last summer, especially when overseas, numbers shot up whilst out in the sun. Doesn’t seem to be happening so far this year.

@maglil55 just reading your post made me tired! Where do you get your energy from?

Another 23/1 fasting day today: love the decadent meals that go with that. Dinner was beef short rib followed by lazy dessert of extra thick double cream mixed with almond butter and Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today went mostly to script as an OMAD day was planned even though we went to a food and drink come country fair. My intention is to finish dinner and try a 48 hr fast to round off this 6 month spell. Menu below

B: 2 pints tea
MMS: Mug coffee with double cream
L: Pork scratchings; Waitrose latte
MAS: 2 pints tea homemade almond milk
D: Chicken; Mushrooms; Tomato; Water; Chocolate olive oil cake, clotted cream

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Out to a local cafe for breakfast: fried egg 2 rashers bacon 1/2 fried tomato 1/2 cumberland sausage ( gave other half to Mr C as I thought it was a bit cereal-y) lots of fried mushrooms which they happily substituted for the chips that usually accompany the set breakfast!

L: bag of pork scratchings and 3 strawberries in the garden with 3 glasses bubbly over the course of the afternoon. Didn’t get much gardening done.

D: slow roast pork belly, celeriac dauphinoise ( snap @maglil55 it is fab I agree)
Green beans.
Cooked some Jersey Royals for the others, I’m going to try one reheated tomorrow (A1c test in the morning so didnt want to tempt fate today).

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox very interesting about BG in the heat. I’m finding the same - last summer, especially when overseas, numbers shot up whilst out in the sun. Doesn’t seem to be happening so far this year.

I just looked back at my spreadsheets. It was exactly a year ago I trimmed the shrub. My blood sugars on 10/6/17 before lunch 6.0, two hours later after the gardening 8.1. Yesterday before lunch 5.5 two hours later after the gardening 5.9! I weigh 30kg plus less though, I’m sure that helps.

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all what a lovely summers day - shame I had to do some work but also got out into the garden and staked up my glorious roses. Also my first outdoor strawberry ripened - lots more to come in a few days! Interestingly in previous years have found my home grown ones not that sweet - compared to supermarket ones - but the half I had today tasted delicious just the right sweetness - clearly my tastes have changed.
Breakfast one boiled egg with slice low carb bread with plant sterol spread and black coffee
Lunch mackerel with green salad dressed with apple cider vinegar and advocado oil with seeds and a few nuts
Mid afternoon two mugs of green tea and last slice choc olive oil cake and half home grown strawberry
Dinner celeriac chips and mushrooms served with fillet steak pieces in red wine reduced sauce with glass of red wine, followed by sugar free jelly, coffee and one square 90% chocolate.
Back to puppy care next two days.

Last edited:

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Out to a local cafe for breakfast: fried egg 2 rashers bacon 1/2 fried tomato 1/2 cumberland sausage ( gave other half to Mr C as I thought it was a bit cereal-y) lots of fried mushrooms which they happily substituted for the chips that usually accompany the set breakfast!

L: bag of pork scratchings and 3 strawberries in the garden with 3 glasses bubbly over the course of the afternoon. Didn’t get much gardening done.

D: slow roast pork belly, celeriac dauphinoise ( snap @maglil55 it is fab I agree)
Green beans.
Cooked some Jersey Royals for the others, I’m going to try one reheated tomorrow (A1c test in the morning so didnt want to tempt fate today).
Good luck tomorrow hope you get the results you want. :)

Reactions: DJC3

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all what a lovely summers day - shame I had to do some work but also got out into the garden and staked up my glorious roses. Also my first outdoor strawberry ripened - lots more to come in a few days! Interestingly in previous years have found my home grown ones not that sweet - compared to supermarket ones - but the half I had today tasted delicious just the right sweetness - clearly my tastes have changed.
Breakfast one boiled egg with slice low carb bread with plant sterol spread and black coffee
Lunch mackerel with green salad dressed with apple cider vinegar and advocado oil with seeds and a few nuts
Mid afternoon two mugs of green tea and last slice choc olive oil cake and half home grown strawberry
Dinner celeriac chips and mushrooms served with fillet steak pieces in red wine reduced sauce with glass of red wine, followed by sugar free jelly, coffee and one square 90% chocolate.
Back to puppy care next two days.
Seems as though you have had an almost perfect day, well done. :)

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After all the very excitement of yesterday today has been restful. Also BG levels much more in line with what I like to see.
Upon waking they were 6.3
Breakfast of egg and bacon at after 2 hrs 5.5
Trip into town and we stopped for a cappuccino and I had a smuggled in Adonis bar 5.1 and then down to 5.1
Later a random finger prick, 5.4
This evening I’ve had some butter chicken and cauliflower bhaji followed by a slice of chocolate cake 4.9 just waiting for 2hr result

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: roast chicken, one tiny roast potato, veggies, 1/2 an individual Yorkshire followed by low carb baked egg custard with sugar free maple syrup, someone posted the recipe somewhere, I’m sorry I can’t remember who, but thank you it was delicious.
Mid-afternoon: Hartleys 10cal jelly and a black coffee.
Dinner: buffet tea at ILs, cold meats, cheese and salad followed by one Jaffa cake.