What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Kingmidas

Entirely agree with you. After a while low-carbing just becomes second nature. It's not necessarily hard, it is just the new normal. (Looking in from the outside, though, it might seem restrictive -- but you'll never really know until you try it.)

Really well done on improving your numbers on the liver test.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah, I can understand that then, and I know you don’t like coconut or almond flour so there are no suitable bread alternatives really.
Your Lc shepherds pie sounds quite comforting though.
It’s this time of year isn’t it? Demands something less poncey than a salad.
Nope, the salad (mackerel and avocado) is the one part of this that is basically an immovable fixture. I feel I will always have 1 meal per day I like and has nutritional value. Effectively, I work around that meal. I can only really do IF purely in the knowledge that meal will be my reward at about 13.00 - 14.00. The shepherds pie was close - Mrs P made 2. Hers had baked beans and one idea was to have a tomato soup sauce - that would also have gone some way to please me back in the day.

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Too many nut based products today... which upped it to a 25g carb day. But hey ho, it's still very low carb.

Breakfast - Puriton shake (my go to when I just can't think of what to eat)
Snack - Nugget of cheddar and about 10 mixed nuts.
Lunch - Left over roast chicken, cabbage and low carb stuffing.
Snack - Nuts - too many of them!
Dinner - Roast chicken, mushroom, spinach and cheese fried up into a sauce with cream, and wrapped in an omelette.

Today I need to think about more fat and less protein.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nope, the salad (mackerel and avocado) is the one part of this that is basically an immovable fixture. I feel I will always have 1 meal per day I like and has nutritional value. Effectively, I work around that meal. I can only really do IF purely in the knowledge that meal will be my reward at about 13.00 - 14.00. The shepherds pie was close - Mrs P made 2. Hers had baked beans and one idea was to have a tomato soup sauce - that would also have gone some way to please me back in the day.

I enjoy that mackerel salad too.
There aren’t too many foods I really really miss and my best comfort food now is coffee with cream - a luxury I would struggle to give up, although I keep trying to cut down.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I enjoy that mackerel salad too.
There aren’t too many foods I really really miss and my best comfort food now is coffee with cream - a luxury I would struggle to give up, although I keep trying to cut down.
There is a definite danger in seeing food and drink as merely a collection of constituent parts - macro nutrients/bg effects - to this "project". The dividing line between this WOE and orthorexia is concerning. I am about to take cream to put in my coffee after swimming lessons - that is definitely an illness.:arghh:

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a definite danger in seeing food and drink as merely a collection of constituent parts - macro nutrients/bg effects - to this "project". The dividing line between this WOE and orthorexia is concerning. I am about to take cream to put in my coffee after swimming lessons - that is definitely an illness:arghh:

Orthorexia - another great word!
I’ve always loved cream in coffee but only rarely used to let myself have it as I believed it to be too fattening. It has made me ridiculously happy to be able to have it, even with breakfast.
I tend not to focus on food which is ‘good for me’ I just like to know what to avoid, then forget about them. I don’t think I’d ever make myself eat something I didn’t like just because I considered it good for me.
It does seem to be getting a bit more complicated than just giving up cake though I agree.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The central idea in orthorexia is that the patient ‘believes’ certain foods to be harmful to them.

I don’t see how that ever applies to someone who has a diagnosis of diabetes and can see evidence that certain foods (carbs) send their blood glucose up to damaging levels. No belief is required. Carbs are harmful (if eaten in quantities that will cause that harm). So orthorexia is not an applicable concern.

Of course, it would be completely different if the patient believed that eating good nutritious foods like butter was harmful. Now that is a bad case of orthorexia! ;)

Last edited:

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Much better day yesterday, back on it!

Breakfast - Hi-lo toast and butter
Lunch - Chicken drumsticks, rollitos, salad and mixed olives. Strawberries and cream.
Dinner - Homemade celeriac soup and flaxseed roll with more butter. Chocolate mug cake. First attempt at this, it was very dry so need to adjust the measurements. Added some water, which turned out to be too much so ended up with an inch of cake mixture to about four inches of 'sauce'. Still ate it though :D
Snacks - Smoked almonds (my new favourite)

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm back for a few days - leave again Saturday so a quick catch up.
Thursday - Bed 5.6 FBG 6.1
Up early to head to the station armed with a pack of M&S rollitos for later.
B. On the train - 1 sausage, fried egg, slice each black pudding and back bacon, tomato and mushroom. Passed on the toast. Loads of black coffee.
L. Still on a train - sipped my way through 3 vodkas and diet coke and nibbled on rollitos.
D. A bit later than usual in hotel. Small portion of mussels in white wine followed by chicken supreme in a creamy tarragon sauce, asperagus, wilted spinach, baked shallot. Liquer coffee - no sugar.
Glass of white with the meal and a baileys on ice after.

@Goonergal - I did indeed pick up my order from Hotel Chocolat in Paddington. 100% batons, giant choc drops and 85% batons as a back up! Couldn't get over the change in Paddington. I used to practically live there at the Hilton as I could leave my luggage, 4 tube lines to get about and the Heathrow check in for going back. It's a big extension.
Did a bit of walking in Bath just to get our bearings then got settled in before dinner.

Friday - bed 6.3 FBG 7.5. All my other former work mates and spouses arrived today. Lovely to get up and not have To rush about doing things.
B. In hotel - black coffee. Actimel. 1 sausage, tomato, mushroom, back bacon, fried egg. Hotel had quickly got used to my 'removals' so beans and potatoes had gone. They did have wonderful GF toast but I soon discovered not all GF toasts are carb safe! The amount of walking we did soon brought the BGs back in line.
L. Americano Massimo in Costa when the rain started and 1 100% baton who we got back to the hotel. These could become addictive. Very bitter but as they melt they leave the most delicious after taste. With practice I could eat more than one!
Caught up with friends, stayed away from alcohol as we were all going out at night.
D. Very busy restaurant at the Pultney Bridge - the Herd.
Had 2 or 3 glasses of dry white. Main only - 10 oz rib eye with mushroom and calvados brandy sauce. Had a mix of zucchini, aubergine and tomato and 2 garlic grilled prawns with it.
No dessert and yet another sugarless liqueur coffee.
Nice walk back to the hotel and gave into another 2 baileys and a good chin wag.

Weather had been warm but a bit damp at times!

fran57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, and cheats.
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Mid morning: cappuccino at Nèros with a mint Carba Killa bar
Late Lunch: cold Tesco Chinese style pork with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Dinner: feta cheese, bacon and mushroom fritatta with petit pois followed by SF jelly, chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Hi Rachox, how many grams of porridge do you have x

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saturday - bed 6.5 FBG 6.8. Can't decide whether the morning spikes were the baileys at night or the GF toast I was getting addicted to in the mornings. Another damp start to the day.
B. This hotel was excellent for breakfast - The Royal in Bath. Huge choice and all cooked to order. I switched to the vegetarian breakfast today. Fried halloumi, wilted spinach, Portobello mushroom, tomato, poached egg freshly made coffee and yes that GF toast again. 12.2 was enough to stop me eating 2 slices a day!
L. Went off on the hop on hop off tour and the Skyline Tour. Brightened up later so did a fair bit walking and BGs quickly back to normal. Hubby is not a breakfast eater. He wanted a sandwich so I ordered a bunless burger with avocado and leaves and gave him the chips with his sandwich. It was amazingly warm now so a bottle of water was needed.

D. Went to an excellent Italian up at the Pultney Bridge. Antica. In the specials he was doing well with and aubergine starter until he said rolled in breadcrumbs. That said it's one for home - a mix of chopped aubergine and zucchini formed into a ball around mozzarella. I think some chopped chorizo could be good too. Egg dipped and roll in my LC crumb mix of almond flour, parmesan, sesame seeds and parsley - and fry!
Anyway back to Saturday - settled on a delicious spinach and broccoli soup to start followed by no crumb pork escalope with a mushroom marsala sauce and zucchini chips done in parmesan.
3 or 4 glasses dry white and a very, very large baileys.

Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The reason for the very, very large Baileys on Saturday night was because my brother had called me at 10.30 pm to tell me my sister had passed away. A lot of you know she had been very Ill, I expected it but obviously it was still upsetting particularly when I've lost both a brother and sister to cancer in a matter of months. There was nothing I could do so was told not to change our plans.
Sunday bed 6.9 FBG 7.8

B. Stuck with the vegetarian breakfast and coffee and kept off the GF toast but BGs still went up which I assume now was stress related.
L. Out walking. Went to the Roman Baths today which was a good distraction. Stopped for a black coffee. Otherwise it was water.
D. Stayed in hotel tonight. Garlic prawns to start.
Pork belly with calvados Apple gravy, spinach, green beans and carrot batons.
Liquer coffee and a glass of white with the meal. Yes, yet another baileys but just one.

It was good to be around friends with such sad news.

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Monday Bed 6.6 FBG 6 4 Kept occupied with packing so we could have a leisurely breakfast.
B. Eggs Benedict minus the muffin but added in one slice of GF toast and their freshly made coffee. Went off for a wander after wishing everyone else goodbye.
L. Just coffee on the train. Picked up an assortment in M&S in Paddington as I didn't think there would be anything suitable on the train.
D. Another 3 vodkas and diet coke spread over 5 hours and surpringly they had a lamb and vegetable stew on the train which was quite edible. Hubby had some of my mash with the truffle Mac and cheese which he admitted was also surprisingly good. Nibbled on chorizo crisps and The cheddar and ham rollitos which Hubby now admits are both surprisingly good. Finally got home 9.45pm last night.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The central idea in orthorexia is that the patient ‘believes’ certain foods to be harmful to them.

I don’t see how that ever applies to someone who has a diagnosis of diabetes and can see evidence that certain foods (carbs) send their blood glucose up to damaging levels. No belief is required. Carbs are harmful (if eaten in quantities that will cause that harm). So orthorexia is not an applicable concern.

Of course, it would be completely different if the patient believed that eating good nutritious foods like butter was harmful. Now that is a bad case of orthorexia! ;)
Not surprisingly I profoundly disagree but I totally respect your views and knowledge. Some signatures on these boards declaim carbs as poison. That seems to be orthorexia 101. Taking cream rather than having a minimal amount of milk in 1 coffee when fbg was 5.3 and last hb1ac was 37 is orthorexia to me. It is loony enough to be a concern. It is a million miles from rational. Without numbers on butter consumption or damaging levels that is all a little meaningless.
All said in total respect.
Can I just add my condolences to you @maglil55

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 you know you have my sympathy, I too am glad you didn’t cut short your trip and that you were amongst good friends when you heard the news.

I think the meals you ate while away sound superb, the vegetarian hotel breakfast with halloumi is one of my all time favourite meals.
The aubergine and courgette balls with mozzarells centre is a great idea - will watch your posts with interest to see how you do it.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Breakfast: no food just unsweetened black coffee
Lunch: a bag of porky scratchings, disgusting and a few stolen Twiglets, lovely
Supper: early as I'm out with friends later, majoram liver in a little Marsala and buttered celeriac mash. A light Montepulciano along side

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: no food just unsweetened black coffee
Lunch: a bag of porky scratchings, disgusting and a few stolen Twiglets, lovely
Supper: early as I'm out with friends later, majoram liver in a little Marsala and buttered celeriac mash. A light Montepulciano along side
That supper all sounds rather delightful. Shame about the porky scratchings but hopefully the evening will offset that experience.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
That supper all sounds rather delightful. Shame about the porky scratchings but hopefully the evening will offset that experience.
Scratchings are a curse and they are totally disgusting and I have no idea why a) I buy them and b) why I eat them. Perhaps I need the salt:yuck:
Supper was delightful. I was surprised on checking in Carb and Calorie Counter book to find no listing for liver but one for haggis:wacky:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The reason for the very, very large Baileys on Saturday night was because my brother had called me at 10.30 pm to tell me my sister had passed away. A lot of you know she had been very Ill, I expected it but obviously it was still upsetting particularly when I've lost both a brother and sister to cancer in a matter of months. There was nothing I could do so was told not to change our plans.
Sunday bed 6.9 FBG 7.8

B. Stuck with the vegetarian breakfast and coffee and kept off the GF toast but BGs still went up which I assume now was stress related.
L. Out walking. Went to the Roman Baths today which was a good distraction. Stopped for a black coffee. Otherwise it was water.
D. Stayed in hotel tonight. Garlic prawns to start.
Pork belly with calvados Apple gravy, spinach, green beans and carrot batons.
Liquer coffee and a glass of white with the meal. Yes, yet another baileys but just one.

It was good to be around friends with such sad news.

Maglil - I just wanted to say how sorry I was to read your news. I can't imagine how that double body blow must feel in such a short time frame.

Last edited: