What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For years I used to insist on any IT training being delivered by a particular company in London by the name of Happy Computers. The two major benefits were an unlimited supply of Jaffa Cakes to nibble on and a rule that at 4pm everyone had to stop for an ice cream.

@ianpspurs one of anything dessert like is worthy of admiration in my book.
Could be a gender thing but dessert has been the easiest to eliminate.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think Ian had just blocked their special orangey loveliness out of his mind.

Not being a sweet person (probably in any sense of the word - Yes, I took the words from your collective minds), I didn't go a bundle on them, although the texture of the sponge layer was always nice.

They were never my favourite thing, but still could never stop at one!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They were never my favourite thing, but still could never stop at one!

I knew someone (back at university) whose daugher would go Additive Loopy (technical term for hyperactive) on the flavourings in Jaffa Cakes. He disliked his inlaws enough that the only time he fed them to his toddler daughter was before the kids went to spend the day with Nana and Gramps.

:wideyed:

Reactions: DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wet, dreary and cold enough for Mrs P to want the wood burner going. Also, another in the endless litany of good intentions and reasonable starts withering on the vine of some form of being not properly well. The weakness of this diet for me is a total lack of comfort food. Problem is compounded on days like this by not giving low enough bg for my liking. 1 kg lower than yesterday and hungry most of the day but the tyranny of the meter meant I stayed well away from anything I may have liked. I hope this is the lesser of 2 evils but it is a test of resolve I could do without.
Breakfast: Tea - later and less than usual
Dockey : Tea - really just before and with lunch
Lunch : Mackerel in olive oil salad with chia seeds and psyllium husk powder
Mid Afternoon: Filter coffee with cream and 0 carb and cal butterscotch syrup
Evening meal: Corned beef shepherd’s pie - corned beef, mushrooms, 1 of our tomatoes, mushrooms, cheese; 10 cal jelly and cream; Tea
Hope you guys had good days.

Reactions: LalaALH and DJC3

Kingmidas

Today's diary
Breakfast - wholemeal toast and butter with sweet freedom dark choc spread, tea

Mid morning - coffee and cream and an Atkins bar

Lunch - assorted continental meats, celery, nuts, sundried tomatoes and mozzarella balls

Dinner - pan fried steak and broccoli (chuck it all together, it's much easier!) SF jelly

Another nice surprise was putting on a pair of jeans I last would have worn in the spring, and finding them absolutely MASSIVE round the waist. I definitely had a 'carb doughnut' round my middle!
IMG_20181012_133614_262.jpg
IMG_20181015_141559_161.jpg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today's diary
Breakfast - wholemeal toast and butter with sweet freedom dark choc spread, tea

Mid morning - coffee and cream and an Atkins bar

Lunch - assorted continental meats, celery, nuts, sundried tomatoes and mozzarella balls

Dinner - pan fried steak and broccoli (chuck it all together, it's much easier!) SF jelly

Another nice surprise was putting on a pair of jeans I last would have worn in the spring, and finding them absolutely MASSIVE round the waist. I definitely had a 'carb doughnut' round my middle!View attachment 28998View attachment 28999
Loving the jeans photo and the carb doughnut description! Well done you you must be really pleased and proud

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all bit of a dreary grey cold day today but got a lot of work done because of it!
Breakfast one slice of bacon and egg
Lunch celery soup
Dinner beef curry made from remains of yesterday’s beef joint served on bed of mushrooms followed by last of lc trifle.
Lots of hot black weak tea throughout the day to keep me warm and incentivised to keep working!
On doggy day care and walking duties tomorrow so hoping weather perks up.

Reactions: ziggy_w

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I really haven't lost much weight (about 8lb) but clearly it was all round my middle. I'm still very overweight but hey, it's a start!
As it’s from the middle that’s the important stuff to get rid of for better bgs......

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Great pic @Kingmidas and congrats!

A bit of overindulgence on my last day of holiday.

Brunch on plane - 40g prosciutto and 50g salami followed by 30g almonds

Lunch/snack - another pack of almonds, a peperami and a bag of moon cheese when I got home

Dinner - Five Guys. Bunless cheeseburger with lettuce tomato onion and mayonnaise. And cutlery!

Met up with a friend this afternoon and as I knew they’d be having cake, took along 3 squares of Ghirardelli 92% but then succumbed to some of the 72% stocked by Caffè Nero.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Great pic @Kingmidas and congrats!

A bit of overindulgence on my last day of holiday.

Brunch on plane - 40g prosciutto and 50g salami followed by 30g almonds

Lunch/snack - another pack of almonds, a peperami and a bag of moon cheese when I got home

Dinner - Five Guys. Bunless cheeseburger with lettuce tomato onion and mayonnaise. And cutlery!

Met up with a friend this afternoon and as I knew they’d be having cake, took along 3 squares of Ghirardelli 92% but then succumbed to some of the 72% stocked by Caffè Nero.
Decided I have very little idea what some of that menu actually is but I am sure it was great.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Welcome back @Goonergal
@Kingmidas that’s a great photo well done.
Didn’t have breakfast today as I didn’t quite get round to it. Had a few cups of tea with almond milk and coffees with cream throughout the morning though.
Lunch: DD zuchini and walnut salad. I loved this, wasn’t expecting to, and didn’t think it’d fill me up having no meat or eggs or anything but it was great.

Afternoon tea with milk while visiting an old neighbour.

D: 1/2 portion of DD moussaka with a small side salad.

@ianpspurs what was your comfort food before lchf? Is there any alternative?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Mid morning: cappuccino at Nèros with a mint Carba Killa bar
Late Lunch: cold Tesco Chinese style pork with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Dinner: feta cheese, bacon and mushroom fritatta with petit pois followed by SF jelly, chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

A bit late posting today. Long day at work, didn't really have time to eat all day -- not that fasting helped my blood sugars at all.

@Goonergal -- It is good to see you back. Hope you had a great time in Hannover. Actually, I believe I have seen Food Brothers while walking to the railway station from home, but haven't really tried it yet. Definitely a place I will have to give a try soon. Not too surprised, though, that you might have been the first person to ask for a burger without a bun. Low-carb really hasn't yet caught on here.
@Kingmidas -- Congrats on losing weight around the middle. This really should help with insulin resistance (assuming you're T2).
@DJC3 -- Great that DD is helping lower your blood sugar levels. Personally, I thought your diet sounded perfect before DD, so it really must be the increased fat.

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Nothing.

Snack: Two and half squares of 85% chocolate.

Dinner: Leftover calf liver in cream sauce. Lamb's lettuce with a buttermilk-mayonnaise dressing with fried beef salami and feta cheese. A glass of red wine.

Off to do my daily half hour on the cross-trainer.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Kingmidas

Hello all,

A bit late posting today. Long day at work, didn't really have time to eat all day -- not that fasting helped my blood sugars at all.

@Goonergal -- It is good to see you back. Hope you had a great time in Hannover. Actually, I believe I have seen Food Brothers while walking to the railway station from home, but haven't really tried it yet. Definitely a place I will have to give a try soon. Not too surprised, though, that you might have been the first person to ask for a burger without a bun. Low-carb really hasn't yet caught on here.
@Kingmidas -- Congrats on losing weight around the middle. This really should help with insulin resistance (assuming you're T2).
@DJC3 -- Great that DD is helping lower your blood sugar levels. Personally, I thought your diet sounded perfect before DD, so it really must be the increased fat.

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Nothing.

Snack: Two and half squares of 85% chocolate.

Dinner: Leftover calf liver in cream sauce. Lamb's lettuce with a buttermilk-mayonnaise dressing with fried beef salami and feta cheese. A glass of red wine.

Off to do my daily half hour on the cross-trainer.
I'm not anything, quite yet - I was at the lower end of prediabetic (Hba1c of 42) with a fatty liver and not happy with myself, so determined to do something about it. Ive been low carb since June time and the suspense is killing me, so I need to get bloods done again a.s.a.p!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Comfort food would probably have been sourdough cheese, pastrami and sweet pickle sandwich. maybe toasted. No LC alternatives I know of.
Ah, I can understand that then, and I know you don’t like coconut or almond flour so there are no suitable bread alternatives really.
Your Lc shepherds pie sounds quite comforting though.
It’s this time of year isn’t it? Demands something less poncey than a salad.

Reactions: ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Kingmidas,

You're definitely on the right track. I am convinced that your next test will show your return to non-diabetic numbers and wouldn't be surprised if your fatty liver has also resolved too.

When will you have your next blood test? Will they also screen you for fatty liver to see if it is back to normal?

Kingmidas

Hi @Kingmidas,

You're definitely on the right track. I am convinced that your next test will return you to non-diabetic numbers and wouldn't be surprised if your fatty liver also returned to normal too.

When will you have your next blood test? Will they also screen you for fatty liver to see if it is resolved?
My liver readings were normal again last time I was tested, but they didn't do blood sugar (not sure why). I'm quite new to it all so I didn't really know what to ask for!

I'm going to ask for it to be done within the next couple of weeks as I really want to find out if I've made a difference. I've had no white bread, rice, pasta, potatoes or refined carbs like cakes, biscuits or pastry. Plenty of protein and good fats.

My daughter keeps telling me how strict I'm being, but I don't think I'm OTT as it's been relatively easy - even for someone who used to start the day with tea and 3 digestives then toast, a sandwich for lunch and a dinner inevitably containing rice, pasta or spuds!