What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is not a what have you eaten post rather a dummies question illustrated by what I mean as an example.
Family meals or restaurant meals can last for 2 hrs or more. Can such a meal be classed as OMAD( Obviously no other food that day) ? The example from my personal preferences in our latest weather.
Pre World cup match of choice - carefully weighed mixed olives and feta with glass of red wine while prepping & cooking
Pre game - Octopus salad (starter size) ACV vinaigrette
1st half - Lamb kleftico (currently reduced @ Waitrose so fits theme) baby leaf and cherry tomato sald; more red wine max 2 glasses whole meal
2nd half/extra time Cheese and nuts
Post match analysis - Coffee with cream and small? Metaxa or similar

Is that OMAD and anyone know where I can get the octopus other than via internet?

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@jayney27 - your halloumi thingies. Was it as simple as Halloumi strips wrapped in streaky bacon and popped in the oven? Hot oven I assume (Yes I bought halloumi when I was out).
Hadn't eaten before I went out this morning but I picked up a tub of goats cheese wrapped in salami in Morrison's (I vary where I go). Ate the tub but it was only 100g and a mere 1.7g carbs in the tub. Quite tasty.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@jayney27 - your halloumi thingies. Was it as simple as Halloumi strips wrapped in streaky bacon and popped in the oven? Hot oven I assume (Yes I bought halloumi when I was out).
Hadn't eaten before I went out this morning but I picked up a tub of goats cheese wrapped in salami in Morrison's (I vary where I go). Ate the tub but it was only 100g and a mere 1.7g carbs in the tub. Quite tasty.
Hi yes it was that simple, very quick and easy and of course delicious. Hope you enjoy them as much as I did, I will definitely make them again.

Geranium72

Hi - I’m new but love this thread for all the great ideas. Today for me,
Breakfast - small chunk of cheddar and some berries and a black coffee ( at work at an Open day ignoring all the cakes and sweets laid out!)
Lunch - leftover home made chicken tikka, cabbage and onion salad with spicy mayo (mayo and hot sauce) and a homemade coconut flour garlic butter wrap - all left over from last night’s tea
Tea - will be my first attempt at the fathead pizza with ham, olives and onion on it and a salad
Plus a couple of glasses of wine

Reactions: jayney27

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is not a what have you eaten post rather an dummies question illustrated by an example of what I might well do as an example.
Family meals or restaurant meals can last for 2 hrs or more. Can such a meal be classed as OMAD? The example from my personal preferences in our latest weather.
Pre World cup match of choice - carefully weighed mixed olives and feta with glass of re wine while prepping & cooking
1st half - Lamb kleftico (currently reduced @ Waitrose so fits theme) baby leaf and cherry tomato sald; more red wine max 2 glasses whole meal

Is that OMAD and anyone know where I can get the octopus other than via internet?
My local fish hut lands octopus but that won't help you since I'm 300 plus miles away.
Not the easiest thing to get the cooking right on. Squid I give a little soak in milk and bicarbonate and I keep meaning to try it on octopus to see if it makes it non chewy.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast - small chunk of cheddar and some berries and a black coffee ( at work at an Open day ignoring all the cakes and sweets laid out!)
Lunch - leftover home made chicken tikka, cabbage and onion salad with spicy mayo (mayo and hot sauce) and a homemade coconut flour garlic butter wrap - all left over from last night’s tea
Tea - will be my first attempt at the fathead pizza with ham, olives and onion on it and a salad

Hi and Welcome @Geranium72.
Your menu today sounds good, looking forward to hearing more from you. Hope you enjoy the fathead pizza - its a favourite on here.

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi yes it was that simple, very quick and easy and of course delicious. Hope you enjoy them as much as I did, I will definitely make them again.

Hi janey27 - I’m in other groups but getting a bit tired of what I’m eating so thought I would peruse this group for ideas and came across your thread for the bacon wrapped haloumi- I had some haloumi I had bought to test out and what a perfect way to test it. I had some bacon too and really enjoyed them. Thanks for the idea, I now have a new food added to the list.

Reactions: ianpspurs

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi janey27 - I’m in other groups but getting a bit tired of what I’m eating so thought I would peruse this group for ideas and came across your thread for the bacon wrapped haloumi- I had some haloumi I had bought to test out and what a perfect way to test it. I had some bacon too and really enjoyed them. Thanks for the idea, I now have a new food added to the list.
Hi, glad you enjoyed them, they are so easy to put together and delicious eaten hot or cold. I will be making more, I think they will become a go to favourite, versatile too, as a quick tasty breakfast, for lunch with a salad or dip maybe and evening meal with cauliflower or celeriac.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome, you have definitely landed on one of the best threads, lots of support, encouragement and motivation as well as great menu ideas. Your menu sounds great for today, hope the fat head pizza was a success? I was a little dubious the first time I made it, I’ve had several sad failures with low carb recipes, some things haven’t even made it to my mouth, straight in the bin, however not with the fat head recipe, I actually love it as a pizza base, more so than a traditional one.

Reactions: Geranium72

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is not a what have you eaten post rather a dummies question illustrated by what I mean as an example.
Family meals or restaurant meals can last for 2 hrs or more. Can such a meal be classed as OMAD( Obviously no other food that day) ? The example from my personal preferences in our latest weather.
Pre World cup match of choice - carefully weighed mixed olives and feta with glass of re wine while prepping & cooking

I would class it as an extended OMAD, very European :happy:

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone what a beautiful day it’s been here, hope you all had some sunshine?
B - omelette and bacon with my weekend cappuccino
L - couple of slices of roast beef sandwiched with cheese and a small slice of choc olive cake
D - Iceland spicy chicken steaks with salad and mayo

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eggs hollandaise. I swapped the ham for bacon and left the bread. Very nice.
Tonight will be cheesy mince (beef mince stirfried in a wide pan, seasoned with a smidge of onion powder, a stock cube, a spoon of tomato puree and worcester sauce. And GARLIC, of course), with cheese stirred in at end. Lush. Quick and very popular with Mr B.

We are now home from hol, back to own cooker, own pans, own bed. DIY catering and housework avoidance ;)
Oddly the sun is still shining, but i expect it will revert to normal asap. :D

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

Welcome @Geranium72 this is a great thread. Looking forward to seeing your daily menus.

Bit of an (well actually a lot of an) off piste day today. Was working at an event for some of the young people we work with and had told the organisers not to bother ordering lunch for me. Planned to fast but took a few snacks just in case. Gave in to snacks - 20g bag of pork crackling, 25g bag almonds and a peperami - around lunch time.

So far so good. However for some reason I decided it would be a good idea to ‘just have one or two’ crisps. Hmmm. Not a good idea, picked at them all afternoon and ended up really hungry and ate 50g 85% chocolate and a bag of salted almonds while dinner cooked.

Dinner was a chicken leg and cauliflower cheese followed by chocolate chia pudding with cream - ages since I’ve had one of those.

An estimated 56g carbs - about 4 days worth at my usual consumption levels - and feel fortunate not to have gone higher than 6.6 (so far).

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been a glorious day here too. Morning was taken up with shopping as I had to get back for Sky arriving to sort out phone/broadband/tv at what is now Nieces house. Also on the phone a while sorting out the flooring. It's almost done now. Another day of very stable BGs (not that I'm complaining) bed 6.1 FBG was again also 6.1 , DP finally got lost again and I decended back into the 4's in the afternoon.
B. Black coffee - went shopping
L. Whole tub of Morrison's goats cheese wrapped in salami (stopped me gnawing on something I shouldn't (and as I said earlier very tasty they were too and very low carb)
D. Slice each of roast pork leg , turkey, ox tongue, roast beef and these little slices of German sausage. Bit lettuce, 3 mini plum tomatoes, spoonful of coleslaw and 6 sweet potato chips. Amazingly Morrison's were sold out of celeriac!
Going to zap the last Adonis brownie in the microwave later and have it with a few mixed berries and cream.

And since @Brunneria mentioned she'd googled the zombie baby here's what I've been talking about for a few days. It has to be the tiniest Lego minifigure ever but No1 is delighted with his brood from my car! I am informed by grandson that these baby zombies are very fast.
s-l300.jpg

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Eggs hollandaise. I swapped the ham for bacon and left the bread. Very nice.
Tonight will be cheesy mince (beef mince stirfried in a wide pan, seasoned with a smidge of onion powder, a stock cube, a spoon of tomato puree and worcester sauce. And GARLIC, of course), with cheese stirred in at end. Lush. Quick and very popular with Mr B.

We are now home from hol, back to own cooker, own pans, own bed. DIY catering and housework avoidance ;)
Oddly the sun is still shining, but i expect it will revert to normal asap. :D
Pleased you had a lovely holiday, there is nothing like your own bed though is there?
The cheesy mince sounds good. I saw a video recipe the other day that was similar, I was thinking of adapting it, it was layers of mince with sliced potato and mozzarella cheese slices, I though I could swap the potatoes for celeriac or aubergine, be a bit like a mousaka.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening all - very nice summer's day here so I hope I am not making y'all jealous. My body decided it wanted a 5.30 start today so chickens escaped early, watering well before any heat for hanging baskets and dogs fed and walked nice and early. Feeding followed sport watching and my favoured method as kind of alluded to in an earlier question. First snack watching All Blacks be given every decision going, first part of dinner watching England Boks then dinner watching Germany Sweden. Menu below:

B: 2 pints tea with h/m almond milk - 5.30 - 7.00 - read papers online; some real fruit loops comment in Telegraph:wideyed:
MMS 1 Pint mug tea after 1 hr dog walk; 1 mug French vanilla coffee with soya milk; High Fibre bar h/m 100% chocolate, walnuts, flaxseed, psyllium husk powder, inulin 8.30 ish watching All Blacks France
MAS: nothing - Didn't really watch Belgium - hunting down vanilla whey protein for birthday cake recipe
D: Olives and Antipasta @ 17.00 (England Boks); Waitrose Lamb Kleftico, leaf salad, vinaigrette, flaxseed and psyllium husk powder; cherry tomatoes; mushrooms; @ 18.45 ish ; Cheese and Walnuts 19.45 ish (half time Germany - Sweden); 1.5 glasses wine (Tempranillo) between 17.00 and 19.45; Coffee and Metaxa Bourbon during 2nd half
@Goonergal It was me who was told to live a bit but I think today would have done you good; @jayney27 extended OMAD/European? Probably a default setting in summer. Pretty close to ideal for summer - just not sure how it fits keto/low carb/what I am supposed to be doing:banghead:

Last edited:

Geranium72

Thank you all for the lovely welcome - the pizza was stunnng. Hubby gave me the look of “ this is low carb are you kidding?”

I made 1 to split between us - ate just over half of mine ( so 1/4 pizza) with salad, avocado and a low carb Caesar dressing and felt full so saved the rest for breakfast tomorrow

I never thought with this way of eating I could eat pizza and drink wine while watching the football

I have that great day 6 feeling where you stop feeling hungry and irritable and sweet things hold little interest!

Reactions: flexi06

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for the lovely welcome - the pizza was stunnng. Hubby gave me the look of “ this is low carb are you kidding?”

I made 1 to split between us - ate just over half of mine ( so 1/4 pizza) with salad, avocado and a low carb Caesar dressing and felt full so saved the rest for breakfast tomorrow

I never thought with this way of eating I could eat pizza and drink wine while watching the football

I have that great day 6 feeling where you stop feeling hungry and irritable and sweet things hold little interest!
Glad you enjoyed your pizza. I agree with your comment about not feeling so hungry, I can honestly say that days when I feel hungry are very few and far between now.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all welcome @Geranium72 good to see you here welcome.
At mums but wanted to report a win and mum just safely tucked up in bed so good time to report back - too early for me to go to bed!
@ianpspurs re one meal a day query to me Omad means 23/1 ie eating within an hour but your routine comes well within Intermittent Fasting. I’ve often done a different eating window important thing is not to eat during an extended period of time so if you eat for 2 hours it’s 22/2 or 4 hours 20/4 . I think what’s important is sticking to a regular method even though it may include differences. For example I did a fair few months where I did 23/1 one meal a day for two days a week but three or two meals a day remaining days. You need to work out what suits you and provided you eat low carb when you eat that’s fine.
@Goonergal did you take your bgs when you raised your carbs with the crisps? I would imagine they were fine and hope you enjoyed the crisps! Edit just spotted you did report a 6.6 so sounds okay unless you were below 4.6 on starting not too big a rise as think a 2.0 rise is ok even though like me you try and keep to a 0.5 rise where possible. But for unusual circs!
Breakfast one sausage, half tomato and one egg
Lunch advocado, prawns, mayo and three low carb seeded crispbreads followed by slice low carb lemon drizzle cake ( this one is best ever one)
Dinner chicken salad with desert spoon of potato salad ( my experiment) success this time only raised bg by 0.5! Lots of olive oil mayo but gosh did I enjoy it! Followed by strawberries, and cream. I’m feeling optimistic 11 months on from starting low carb that some resistant starch may be possible. I cooked the new potatoes and cooled them twice and then smothered in olive oil mayo. Bgs after - with pud too with strawberries, 5.5 was 5.0 2 hours earlier.
Back home tomorrow done loads of jobs today but weather very cloudy - it was blue skies when left Worcestershire early this am but much cooler here in yorks today. But managed to do mums garden, mended her fence and taken her shopping. Housework in morning!

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You’re welcome to join this thread too! We’re a welcoming and friendly bunch and do love our lowcarb food.