What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, it's been a busy few days here, taking in some sights and sounds, with accompanying emotional rollercoaster.

I have no idea how far we have walked, in the 38c heat, but let's say the hydration will have been into the gallons. Anyway, as a result, I was hungry this morning, and this was my totally over the top brekkers.

Please do not mistake :) <<< for the face of concern

(At that stage, MrB was still waiting for his scrambled eggs, so his mountain was not present.)

Attachments

• IMG_2785.jpg
    IMG_2785.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 255

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@DCUKMod whoa baybeeeee that is a gorgeous plate of yumminess! 38c??? That’s quite a challenge, many felicitations for keeping going in that!

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to google flatiron steak and naked chipolatas, I know what chipolatas are but not naked ones.

Flatiron steak is known as oyster blade steak here when it is boneless, or y bone when it has the bone in. I like both, as I am a big fan of forequarter meat.

The butcher shops I worked in did not sell chipolatas, just thin bbq sausages, or thick pork or beef ones. The closest we got to the size of chipo's were when we made saveloys as they were about the same size and dipped in red food colouring.

The sav's were know locally in Mount Isa as "little boys" which caused a lot of merriment with the local aboriginal ladies.

Here's a pix of y bone steak.

BdP26P2.jpg

Pix of the savs.

vv0UFMM.jpg

Edit: Added a couple of pix for clarity.
I think flatiron is a newish cut here, I don’t remember seeing it around a few years ago, I only bought this as it was reduced having reached its ‘sell by’ it was gorgeous though and I’d buy it again
The Naked chipolatas are just a brand name - they are made without nitrites and preservatives. They do other sausages and bacon too and I always try to buy them in preference to other brands because of this.

Edit to add -I love the story of ‘small boys’!

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There isn't I'm afraid plus afternoon tea with little people wouldn't work (although they'd eat all the macarons.
I definitely agree, one for the grown ups, not little ones! Although my eldest nephew is now 14 and a real foodie, so he would be in heaven! Incidentally, I had a peek at the Betty's menu and there are a fair few LC options, including salads, omelette, frittata, and breakfast dishes that are suitable or could easily be tweaked.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Felt very rocky this morning. BP low and dizzy/weak with it, BGs well up, wondrous internet says maybe dehydration, so I drink tons of water. Haven’t beed able to test, and just finished supper so will wait a while.

Doesn’t sound nice, hope you feel better after a drink and a good kip.

Reactions: zauberflote

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Daughter is still in hospital. It’s pneumonia but she’s feeling better thank you.
I do often pack an emergency picnic but there was just no time to do this as her temperature was soaring.
We managed to eat better today.
Yogurt and berries for breakfast.
Paprika chicken and roasted vegetable rice from Waitrose for lunch. Not ideal I know, but better than sandwiches on a busy day (I had hospital appointment myself)
Dinner was a quick prawn mayo salad.
On the whole not too bad.
Done a lot of sitting around since Monday waiting for xrays etc so need to address lack of exercise. Ironic how going to hospital can be so unhealthy!!

Glad your daughter is feeling better, that must have been a very scary episode. Well done for food choices though, you’ve done brilliantly, especially considering the extra strain you’re under.

Sad but true about hospitals being pretty unhealthy.
My daughter is currently on placement at an adult mental health secure unit. The patients have supervised visits to the shop where they can buy snacks etc. She says there are no healthy snacks available at all, it is all sweets chocolate and crisps, the sad thing is that most of the patients are diabetic, often due to the meds they are on. They are there because of their mental health, but their physical health is allowed to deteriorate alarmingly.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod that is an amazing breakfast!
Agree with @zauberflote that temperature makes me feel exhausted just thinking about it. Glad it suits you though.

The pork Penang was absolutely fab. There was some chicken there too that wasn't quite so great, but overall, it just hit the spot.

A hungry girl needs a decent breakfast. :)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@DJC3 thanks! There was slow improvement through the day. I was glad for the sitting at the opera!
My son has been on weight-gain-inducing anti-depressant meds for nearly 10 years now, and while we have allowed his physical health to deteriorate very alarmingly, he’s a consenting adult (nearly 29) and in fairness to him the meds change the metabolism, often permanently. Dr seems to have found a better one in re weight gain last summer, but there is no perfect drug for any patient with any kind of co-morbidity. Sometimes, even with the best efforts of those who love their “patient”, things go downhill. A mental health patient usually doesn’t have the luxury of “one thing at a time” in my experience. So if they are not up to supervising/running their own “whack-a-mole” lives, carers have to pick their battles.
Whoops! That wasn’t meant to be a flame, really!!! Just one tired parent’s reflections on her own life.
Beautiful sunshine today, I love this time of spring! The huge sunny patch on my wall wakes me even through a blackout mask. Saturday night the time changes, and we have to do the dark mornings all over again. Grrr. Saves energy my Aunt Fandango! Humph! lol
Food hopes for today: no lunch, and bake a sweet. I finally realized it may be best not to submit my beloved sisters in law to erythritol with no warning. So for them, Ghirardelli triple chocolate brownies from a box, and maybe a mug cake for me. Maybe I can take the caramel chocolate bar experience down to a very small serving. Maybe all I need is the lc caramel candy recipe, a square of 90%, and some mug cake basics! Hmmmm... exciting project!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Yayyyyy..... FOOD!!!!!

First meal after end of fast (which started after dinner last Saturday): a few nuts as a starter then half an hour later bacon and eggs.

Planned dinner: slow roast lamb and some broccoli

Drinks: black decaff coffee and lots of water

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 thanks! There was slow improvement through the day. I was glad for the sitting at the opera!
My son has been on weight-gain-inducing anti-depressant meds for nearly 10 years now, and while we have allowed his physical health to deteriorate very alarmingly, he’s a consenting adult (nearly 29) and in fairness to him the meds change the metabolism, often permanently. Dr seems to have found a better one in re weight gain last summer, but there is no perfect drug for any patient with any kind of co-morbidity. Sometimes, even with the best efforts of those who love their “patient”, things go downhill. A mental health patient usually doesn’t have the luxury of “one thing at a time” in my experience. So if they are not up to supervising/running their own “whack-a-mole” lives, carers have to pick their battles.
Whoops! That wasn’t meant to be a flame, really!!! Just one tired parent’s reflections on her own life.
Beautiful sunshine today, I love this time of spring! The huge sunny patch on my wall wakes me even through a blackout mask. Saturday night the time changes, and we have to do the dark mornings all over again. Grrr. Saves energy my Aunt Fandango! Humph! lol
Food hopes for today: no lunch, and bake a sweet. I finally realized it may be best not to submit my beloved sisters in law to erythritol with no warning. So for them, Ghirardelli triple chocolate brownies from a box, and maybe a mug cake for me. Maybe I can take the caramel chocolate bar experience down to a very small serving. Maybe all I need is the lc caramel candy recipe, a square of 90%, and some mug cake basics! Hmmmm... exciting project!

I completely understand your point @zauberflote , my post wasn’t intended to be disparaging to carers in any way, sorry if it came accross like that. I just think it’s terrible that there is no healthy option, in a hospital of all places, and these guys don’t even have the option of going out for alternatives. As it’s a secure unit, the hospital shop is all they have access to.

Reactions: zauberflote

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I completely understand your point @zauberflote , my post wasn’t intended to be disparaging to carers in any way, sorry if it came accross like that. I just think it’s terrible that there is no healthy option, in a hospital of all places, and these guys don’t even have the option of going out for alternatives. As it’s a secure unit, the hospital shop is all they have access to.

I didn’t see your post as At All disparaging, in fact felt you were saying right things that need to be said :) I agree with you 100% re healthy options for the patients, but mine has been in a psych wing himself, and while better choices than chocolate were presented, the horse at the water trough refused the water in favor of holding out for the chocolate pudding-in-a-cup and potato chips. <rolling eyes>
Now let’s talk about what they give a person who requests a vegetarian diet...30 years ago I was offered Jello as my main dish!

Reactions: Chook and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm, Thursday - more of you later on Jess.
Don't know what happened today but some very desirable outcomes I really wouldn't have predicted. Tea and 2/3 of Julie's trial of a LC (almond milk, sugar free) Macchiato Latte when I sat her in Starbucks while I roamed Ely. At 14.35 I ate brisket pot roast with a shallot and some mushrooms. I had started that before 7.00 ( I used the IP slow cooker) and this is the first time I have enjoyed brisket - even when starving. Also had the cheesey dumplings @zauberflote put me on to - tweaked by cooking them separately in the oven - cooked in dripping and turned over. Well, next surprise was the attempt at LC not cross bun idea. Used the raisins soaked in Metaxa and cinnamon in @geefull's sponge recipe - worked well but I would add more cinnamon next time ( I never liked the peel idea and this WOE has enough bitter notes for symbolism) . Had double cream with that.
Picked up a resized ring that was my dad's to replace the wedding ring I completely lost in November (after Julie found it on the trampoline). Now Jess and Thursday. I so agree - I won't wear makeup on Thursday 'Cause who I am is enough.
Probably cocoa later - and tea, there must be tea.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yay @Chook ! Those eggs and bacon must have tasted sublime
@ianpspurs glad you found an acceptable hc bun substitute, I’m not even going to try in case I set off a craving.

I’m out later so posting now as I wont eat again today
Went to gym before breakfast which worked wonders for bgs which dropped to 4.2 2hrs after eating:
2 leftover Naked chipolatas and a fried egg

Late lunch was a fairly substantial mackerel salad with added avocado and walnuts. Also a boiled egg which nearly didn’t happen as I put the pan on to boil then went away and made a phone call - stupid! Came back an hour or so later to find kitchen full of steam and a ruined pan. Luckily egg still intact - Ive done this before and the egg has expolded like a bomb. When will I learn not to wander off when I’ve got thigs on the hob?
Sf jelly and cream afterwards.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@ianpspurs Always More Cinnamon is my motto! But no soused raisins for me thanks. Otherwise sounds delicious! I am not even going to ask how your wedding ring ended up on the trampoline... I have a nephew who lost two in two years, one out of his golf bag and one on a deck that we’d have to completely dismantle to find. Nobody wanted that job. Whoever this Jess person is sounds like a tv personality? Social influencer?
What did you do to make the dumplings rise? Mine are flat as a cookie, baked dry in oven. They are too high carb 5/each) for me to eat very often, but they were indeed very tasty, HTS tasty even.

res1492

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello...im new here.....a few questions:-
1. Am i right in thinking I can eat as much bacon and egg as i want and it wont affect my BG?
2. Is it possible to die by overdose from bacon? (this one i need to know)
3. How much bacon is too much bacon?

On a serious note, i have been reading through this post and some of the recipe ideas sound delish..cant wait to try

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello...im new here.....a few questions:-
1. Am i right in thinking I can eat as much bacon and egg as i want and it wont affect my BG?
2. Is it possible to die by overdose from bacon? (this one i need to know)
3. How much bacon is too much bacon?

On a serious note, i have been reading through this post and some of the recipe ideas sound delish..cant wait to try
Welcome and I am sure someone who knows what they are doing will be along soon to help you.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Catching up after 2 day unplanned visit to 88 year old mum 120 miles away in York’s
Yesterday in day a fair amount of lc seeded crispbreads and nuts and 100% chocolate buttons plus bit of cheese - thrown into car and snacked on to fill me up.
Today lc crispbreads and nuts in day
Dinner at home duck stir fry and 100% hc buttons. Hope to be back to planned meals from tomorrow! When back for next planned visit in Tuesday hope to have some real food!
@Chook wow well done on your amazing fast