What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: strawberries, cream and raspberry and vanilla LC granola with black coffee.
Elevenses: black coffee with raspberry carb killa bar
Lunch: Babybels and a small packet of Cheesies followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC Chocolate granola.
Dinner: lamb roasted with rosemary and garlic, two tiny roast potatoes and mixed veg followed by SF orange jelly with chocolate Oppo ice-cream (my substitute for my weekly Jaffa cake til we can visit ILs again for Sunday tea @ianpspurs !)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Shelly262 another gold star from me for all your low carb goodies. I gave away my chaffle maker but I guess these would work as well in a frying pan? Just not so pretty. Those truffles look gorgeous too, good idea to get them into the freezer ASAP.
Yes London looms! Thanks for asking, We are off on Wed and back Fri ( I’m hoping this explains my skyrocketing fbgs)
Today I had DD breakfast sandwich around 10am. Went out for a lovely woodland walk with Dennis and family. Bit of drama when Dennis legged it to play with 2 Staffies he spotted the other side of the river: he hates water but ran through it to get to them without thinking, then panicked and didn’t know what to do. Daughter had to wade across and rescue him (it wasn’t deep) he was back on the lead in disgrace afterwards.
We had lunch from the cafe there - served through the hatch, and eaten sitting on a log. Cheeseburger in lettuce wrap. It was huge and it will see me through til tomorrow, too late to eat more now but I am enjoying a peaceful glass of red.
Will be thinking of you later this week. Never done chaffles in frying pan but would guess they would. The maker is just very convenient.
Poor Dennis or should I say poor daughter!

Reactions: DJC3

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Daren't trust myself to make the delicious looking treats above. Just know it would be a slippery slope for me, I've been there before, so for now I'll not put myself to any test. :(

Today has been a high calorie day at 1932 calories. Though I'm pleased to add carbs topped out at 15.10g net carbs.

Breakfast we had smoked black peppered mackerel, fried in butter, and served with a knob of butter on the top.

Mid day a cold sausage

Dinner, roast beef, steamed cauli and brocolli together and diced with butter, creamed cabbage with chives. Gravy from the roasting joint's juice and thickened with cornflour - the carbiest item today.

15 minutes after eating my BG went from 5.5 to 6.5, 1 hour after eating BG came down to 6.2 - so I'm happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I gave away my chaffle maker but I guess these would work as well in a frying pan?

These days I bake my carnivore pizza base in the air fryer, using a baking sheet with small holes. It’s actually the removable base from a quiche dish. Works really well. Sure you’d be able to do the same for a chaffle.

Will be thinking of you this week.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: strawberries, cream and raspberry and vanilla LC granola with black coffee.
Elevenses: black coffee with raspberry carb killa bar
Lunch: Babybels and a small packet of Cheesies followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC Chocolate granola.
Dinner: lamb roasted with rosemary and garlic, two tiny roast potatoes and mixed veg followed by SF orange jelly with chocolate Oppo ice-cream (my substitute for my weekly Jaffa cake til we can visit ILs again for Sunday tea @ianpspurs !)
Hug needed really. No one deserves to suffer Oppo, so brave.

Reactions: maglil55

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having a few days by the sea so dodging all the ice cream shops and chip shops, and the rain showers!
B: yoghurt, seeds and a couple of strawberries
2 hour beach walk... lovely!
L: half a scotch egg, ham, salad and a few olives
D: a pub Sunday roast ! Left the roast pots and parsnip but did eat the huge crispy Yorkshire on the basis it was mostly air! :angelic:. Didn't even try hubby's pudding but did eat 3 tiny crackers that came with a very tasty cheese board. All in all pleased I had negotiated our first eating out since diagnosis so well

Reactions: maglil55

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@ianpspurs REALLY lovely to 'see' you! x

@DJC3 poor Dennis! Was he okay with the Staffies?

@Brunneria I know we are all different but how long do you think it might take for these collagen tablets to start working?

Breakfast: boiled eggs and buttered HiLo soldiers
Lunch: probably not
Dinner: remaining broccoli and Stilton soup from yesterday - very nice and super easy to.make.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs REALLY lovely to 'see' you! x

@DJC3 poor Dennis! Was he okay with the Staffies?

@Brunneria I know we are all different but how long do you think it might take for these collagen tablets to start working?

Breakfast: boiled eggs and buttered HiLo soldiers
Lunch: probably not
Dinner: remaining broccoli and Stilton soup from yesterday - very nice and super easy to.make.

I think you need to consider what you think 'start working' means, for you.

In my case, I started on bone broth, collagen, chondroitin and glucosamine simultaneously. I also totally elimated various foods that were causing problems - tomatoes, potatoes, gluten, aubergines...

I am not sure which of those things kicked in, and in which order, on what timescale, but I do firmly believe that if I were still eating foods causing inflammation and aggravation, then no matter what supplements I knock back, then they will be fighting a losing battle.

For example, I swiped a rather cute and tempting new potato from Mr B's plate a couple of weeks ago. The reaction started after 36 hours and lasted for 10 days. Yesterday I had about a teasp of salsa (mainly tomato and onion) on my lunch. Today, my thumb joints have already started to kick off.
Both occasions were self inflicted, and the consequences are entirely my responsibility.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Having a few days by the sea so dodging all the ice cream shops and chip shops, and the rain showers!
B: yoghurt, seeds and a couple of strawberries
2 hour beach walk... lovely!
L: half a scotch egg, ham, salad and a few olives
D: a pub Sunday roast ! Left the roast pots and parsnip but did eat the huge crispy Yorkshire on the basis it was mostly air! :angelic:. Didn't even try hubby's pudding but did eat 3 tiny crackers that came with a very tasty cheese board. All in all pleased I had negotiated our first eating out since diagnosis so well

Well done! Eating out while low carbing takes some ingenuity and self discipline. I spent the first three years not eating out at all then the next four years only eating at carveries. Luckily places to eat out seem to be getting a bit better at subbing vegetables or salads for chips nowadays

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, @Chook

I expect you have already come across this factoid in your reading before you bought your collagen, but taking vit C at the same time you take your collagen supplement is highly beneficial and improves your bodies handling of the collagen. Basically, that means take Vit C at the same time you take your collagen, or eat Vit C containing foods in the same meal you have the collagen.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think you need to consider what you think 'start working' means, for you.

In my case, I started on bone broth, collagen, chondroitin and glucosamine simultaneously. I also totally elimated various foods that were causing problems - tomatoes, potatoes, gluten, aubergines...

I am not sure which of those things kicked in, and in which order, on what timescale, but I do firmly believe that if I were still eating foods causing inflammation and aggravation, then no matter what supplements I knock back, then they will be fighting a losing battle.

For example, I swiped a rather cute and tempting new potato from Mr B's plate a couple of weeks ago. The reaction started after 36 hours and lasted for 10 days. Yesterday I had about a teasp of salsa (mainly tomato and onion) on my lunch. Today, my thumb joints have already started to kick off.
Both occasions were self inflicted, and the consequences are entirely my responsibility.

Start working (for me) means a noticeable lessening of pain in my joints. I would like to be able to walk for more than five minutes without suffering for it for the next two days.

Goodness, as a veggie if I eliminated all those foods at the same time I would have very little food choices, especially the vegetables. I think I'll give the collagen tablets six weeks (which is the amount of tablets I bought) and if I don't notice a difference then i won't buy any more and then I'll start eliminating starting with gluten.

The tablets cost about £30 a month which is okay if they are effective but not something I want to continue spending if they aren't.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Start working (for me) means a noticeable lessening of pain in my joints. I would like to be able to walk for more than five minutes without suffering for it for the next two days.

Goodness, as a veggie if I eliminated all those foods at the same time I would have very little food choices, especially the vegetables. I think I'll give the collagen tablets six weeks (which is the amount of tablets I bought) and if I don't notice a difference then i won't buy any more and then I'll start eliminating starting with gluten.

The tablets cost about £30 a month which is okay if they are effective but not something I want to continue spending if they aren't.

Yes, my body would implode with pain and joint damage if I ate the diet you do. I don't think any amount of collagen would hold the joint deterioration at bay.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oops - just realised I went rather off track. Apologies everyone!

On topic:
Today, my food will be more gorgeous mexican mince (minus salsa! lol) in a lodough wrap.
Then I will cook over a kilo of chicken breasts ready to cube and make various dressings - corry chicken, and honey mustard and maybe chives and garlic.
Supper will either be that, or I may tackle the turkey in orange and balsamic vinegar thing in my recipe book.

Am planning to cook 3 times this week, total of about 1 hour in the kitchen, and get 18-24 meals out of it, for freezer and fridge. :D

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 9.7. New basal insulin not working so well after all. I might have to up it from 40 units a bit.

Brunch, just finished, the remains of the first ox cheek - cold with some fermented cabbage (which turned out to be far too salty. I don't think it really fermented at all, but it is still crisp and edible. Not sure what to do with the rest.

Tonight I have a choice of roast chicken or white fish (in a supermarket packet, so not sure what it is like until I open the packet). Probably roast the chicken and have it cold during the week, and use the fish tonight.

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
.... Not sure what to do with the rest. ....

The cabbage?

Why not rinse it, the cook is a bit? Clearly, you could boil/steam it, or alternatively slooooooooooow fry it with some bacon lardons or chopped chorizo. The latter could be rather nice with the chicken, if you have chorizo.

Of course, I could eat a lot of chorizo, a lot of the time. I love it!

Wonderful in an omelette, or in cauli cheese, or fried, in a frying pan, slowly, before adding white fish or scallops.

The oil released is such a lovely colour, it can do quite a bit to enhance dishes that might otherwise look rather bland or beige.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
These days I bake my carnivore pizza base in the air fryer, using a baking sheet with small holes. It’s actually the removable base from a quiche dish. Works really well. Sure you’d be able to do the same for a chaffle.

Will be thinking of you this week.
Now that's a good idea, especially as I have that type of quiche tin.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And, I was very hungry this morning. It makes no sense if you knew how much I ate at dinner last night, so I have just had a giant salad with some very rich Baba Ganoush.

MrB is playing golf at the moment (he could be like a drowned rat when he gets home!), but he will not need to ask what I ate over lunch, as I'm certain the garlic aura will persist. Not being a fan he will be unfussed about the Baba Ganoush, but will object to the smell.

I bet there will be plenty garlic in tonight's meal!