What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs topped with a knob of butter, avocado and three crevettes seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Walnut and mushroom nut roast made with onions, eggs and flax 'egg', (positively no breadcrumbs) garlic, vegetable stock and rosemary.
Steamed Brussels sprouts with toasted slivered almonds smothered with butter.
Carrots cut on the diagonal, onions and apple peel sautéed in butter.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.

D: Seafood salad made with mussels and brown shrimps, lettuce, Romano peppers, celery, baby plum tomatoes, Kalamata olives, flat-leaf parsley and salad onions, with a dollop of home-made aioli for dipping, topped with roasted macadamia nuts.
Water to swallow tablet.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Deliberate OMAD today, I hope!

Had Lorne sausage, bacon and eggs.
Feeling quite full - it was probably a bit too much really. I don't, any more, like the feeling of having had a bit too much, just to clear the plate.

I asked Neil yesterday to get me a supermarket pack of chicken thighs - usually 5 thighs in a pack which makes 2 meals and some stock. He came back with the only pack he could find which held at least a dozen - maybe more. I didn't really want to add anything to the freezer but I'll have to take a couple out of the pack and freeze the rest in packs of 2. I think I've already got 2 big packs of drumsticks and thighs which are halfway to being prepped for "party food" which didn't get used in the end so I don't want any more big packs. Might have an occasion to use those next week though, with any luck.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all!

Yesterday I added a much too large chunk of wensleydale and more than a handful of nuts to my tally for the day! Very nice though.

Today I had kefir, lamb leg steak with mashed swede and mushrooms for breakfast, then the leftover greek salad wth some home made low carb bread (must be careful with that creeping in on a daily basis).

Popped out for prescriptions and also went to Aldi, bought a load of mushrooms to cook off and freeze, some gammon steaks to do the same, a cauliflower, a large swede and some cheeses. I managed to swerve carbs of any sort and didn't even look at snacks/crisps etc. so although I'm eating a bit too much overall at the moment, I'm happy that I'm not tempted to buy any new carby snacks.

This year will be the first Easter that I won't be eating myself into a chocolate coma! Montezouma's will feature though.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I made a big (3, maybe 4 days worth) pot of slow cooked beef and onion, and enough cauliflower purée. for at least 3 days, and invited neighbour-in-the-garden for dinner.
First a beer in his trailer, and then we didn't have the patience to put the purée in the oven so we had the stew with a slice of bread. Turned out very tasty, so now I have a large pot of purée but no stew to go with it. :hilarious:

I'll turn some of the purée into zuurkoolstamppot by adding sauerkraut and smoked sausage, and I'm sure the leftover juices with still a little meat and onion from yesterdays meal will go very well with it. :hungry:

Which leaves me with too much purée still. Can you freeze cauliflower purée?

I spent a very cosy night with my neighbour, my two dogs, his dog, and my two sleepover dogs in his caravan, but the repeated mild hypos were no fun. I've had to leave the bed 3 times to treat, so during the night I had winegums, chocolate easter eggs and some bread. Poor Tale had to endure the repeated Libre alarms but hasn't complained.
When it was almost time to get up for my friday morning aqua session, the hypo alarm went off for a 4th time, and I was stupid enough to think I could snuggle up to Tale just a little bit longer before treating.
That's not how hypos work, I felt horrible enough to remind him of my glucagon nosespray in my bag, just in case. Not needed, thankfully, a couple of winegums did the trick, but it took me a long time to feel a bit like myself again, yuck!

I've already been titrating my long acting down for a while, will reduce dose more again tonight. Anyway, it was a good reminder to not get complacent with hypos, I don't think I'll make that mistake again any time soon!
Still, good food (except for all those winegums, but the easter eggs were pretty nice) and a lovely night, so all is well. :joyful:

My kefir is doing very well!
I started on saturday, first batch took 3 days, second batch 2, and the one I started yesterday was ready today.
Haven't done much experimenting yet, but so far I found I really like it with a little salt, just a hint. :hungry:
Efraïm, one of the cats, has also found out he loves kefir, and he goes completely crazy when I'm fiddling with it in the kitchen. :hilarious:

1710521076453.png

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I made a big (3, maybe 4 days worth) pot of slow cooked beef and onion, and enough cauliflower purée. for at least 3 days, and invited neighbour-in-the-garden for dinner.
First a beer in his trailer, and then we didn't have the patience to put the purée in the oven so we had the stew with a slice of bread. Turned out very tasty, so now I have a large pot of purée but no stew to go with it. :hilarious:

I'll turn some of the purée into zuurkoolstamppot by adding sauerkraut and smoked sausage, and I'm sure the leftover juices with still a little meat and onion from yesterdays meal will go very well with it. :hungry:

I spent a very cosy night with my neighbour, my two dogs, his dog, and my two sleepover dogs in his caravan, but the repeated mild hypos were no fun. I've had to leave the bed 3 times to treat, so during the night I had winegums, chocolate easter eggs and some bread. Poor Tale had to endure the repeated Libre alarms but hasn't complained.
When it was almost time to get up for my friday morning aqua session, the hypo alarm went off for a 4th time, and I was stupid enough to think I could snuggle up to Tale just a little bit longer before treating.
That's not how hypos work, I felt horrible enough to remind him of my glucagon nosespray in my bag, just in case. Not needed, thankfully, a couple of winegums did the trick, but it took me a long time to feel a bit like myself again, yuck!

I've already been titrating my long acting down for a while, will reduce dose more again tonight. Anyway, it was a good reminder to not get complacent with hypos, I don't think I'll make that mistake again any time soon!
Still, good food (except for all those winegums, but the easter eggs were pretty nice) and a lovely night, so all is well. :joyful:

I started on saturday, first batch took 3 days, second batch 2, and the one I started yesterday was ready today.
Haven't done much experimenting yet, but so far I found I really like it with a little salt, just a hint. :hungry:
Efraïm, one of the cats, has also found out he loves kefir, and he goes completely crazy when I'm fiddling with it in the kitchen. :hilarious:

View attachment 66758
Cats always know the good stuff! I think cauliflower puree should freeze ok, I often freeze cooked but never tried freezing it in that form.

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Coffee and cream
Coffee and unsweetened almond milk
Chicken and tomatoes
Porchetta and tomatoes
Coffee and cream

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

View attachment 66758
I've frozen cauliflower puree by accident! I meant to pop into fridge but got put in freezer instead! I defrosted it and it had split with a watery liquid. I just stirred it so liquid back in puree mix and then added cheese and reheated in oven it was lovely much to my relief. Hope yours goes ok too I'm sure it will.
Wonderful hearing about your kefir success mine is currently growing at a speedier pace as it warms up a bit. Mine is also getting thicker again it's very satisfying cultivating kefir and good for us too.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cholesterol results released today and LDL up even more! My HDL also up but trigs even lower than normal I'm always below 1 but now down to 0.5 my lowest unlike my ldl which is my highest at nearly 6 which pulled total up to 9 with my 2.7 hdl! This post got published by accident before I'd done my food so need to post again in a min!
Edit I've a week to get ready for the pep talk about meds to lower my ldl.
I was wondering about that, todays kefir is much thicker than the other two batches. Glad to hear it's normal!
It's a good sign the thicker the better.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B- soft boiled eggs and lc soldiers.
L- a pretty salad of things that needed eating up. H/m yoghurt, blueberries and seeds.
D- Pressure cooker beef stroganoff, sauteed courgette ribbons. Couple of glasses of 0 sugar Shiraz (14% ABV so not for the faint hearted, but great accompaniment to the meal)
IMG_1710528158.074997.jpg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Food today
Breakfast hm kefir then two boiled eggs and LC roll
Lunch small portion of sauerkraut and kimchi with celery and LC seeded crackers then a few frozen raspberries and hm yoghurt followed by two squares of 90% chocolate
Dinner sea bass and cauliflower cheese plus an expensive but wonderful portion of early English asparagus and glass of dry white wine. Took portion of hm LC lemon cheesecake out of freezer a bit late so tasted a bit like a luxury ice cream as hadn't defrosted!

Last edited:

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I remember seeing your original reply about tenderstem broccoli and I meant to look into it later. I thought tenderstem was just traditional broccoli crossed with kale which sounds ok. Would you mind reiterating please?
I said it wasn't all that nice. @LivingLightly may have meant that it wasn't natural, but merely bred as a new vegetable. I'm sure @LivingLightly can elaborate, though.

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
L- a pretty salad of things that needed eating up. H/m yoghurt, blueberries and seeds.
D- Pressure cooker beef stroganoff, sauteed courgette ribbons. Couple of glasses of 0 sugar Shiraz (14% ABV so not for the faint hearted, but great accompaniment to the meal)View attachment 66760
A lovely-looking summer lunch. I'm enjoying a couple of glasses of Shiraz too!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Zuurkoolstamppot with brined and boiled pork belly (zuurkoolspek, they sell it in the supermarkets around here), some fried after boiling, a small piece of smoked sausage, and yesterdays 'gravy'. :hungry:

No more hypos during the day, thankfully, but this is with a slice of low carb bread usually needing 8 units without insulin for my first meal, and only 5 units for my two Belgian beers instead of the usual 8 to 10. No insulin with the kefir, which should need a little.
I didn't take any insulin for my meal because I've already dropped to the low 5's again.
So that's only 5 units of fast acting over the whole day so far, my basal is definitely too high still. But why?

1710535916115.png