What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So sorry to hear of the loss of your friend @MommaE . Unexpected deaths are always so hard to come to terms with.
@RosemaryJackson I hope you’ll start to feel better soon.
@jpscloud I love the sound of your harissa pork mince. Do you have a recipe or was it just a ‘bung it in and hope for the best’ dish?
Today I almost managed Omad but at my art group this aft I succumbed to some dark (85%) chocolate that the group leader had bought along for our tea break.
Dinner was a mixed grill. The local farm who delivered today, threw in free of charge, some of their new sausages for me to try; no fillers, just seasoning ( garlic&herb) they were delicious. Also a pork steak and a couple of rashers of streaky bacon. Mushrooms and onions and 1/2 avocado. Couple of glasses of wine. View attachment 66769
Thank you @DJC3

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya yes Im feeling very uneasy about the comments looking back she also used the term "fake diabetic" as well as you are not a 'real diabetic' and also something that has been subsequently changed on my medical records! They have asked me to come in for an admin face to face next week - so I do wonder if taking me off the Diabetic Register is on the horizon. I wouldnt choose this as need to keep on top of it all - In my view I am only in remission as I manage it by the way I eat but if I went back to my old ways of eating I'd soon be back there. Only reasons they would give for the admin appt was that I am below target and have no plan!! Once I get solid information about what the practice has planned for me I'll do a wider discussion thread on the forum as I am interested in what others think and how different practices have deal with patients in longer term remission. A big shortage at the moment of DNs in my practice could also be leading new plans, or not, for those in remission. I would want a yearly Hba1c and eye test as a minimum but will see what they actually say before I start my campaigning!
Shelley, in my case coming off the diabetes register has made zero difference to the care I receive, or not.

I have not been removed from the retinopathy screening, and still have an annual A1c, plus full blood panel, but in reality, there is often another, rather random, A1c slipped onto my thyroid bloods.

i have never been weighed, or measured, and had my feet checked once, a few months post-diagnosis, so I lose nothing.

My surgery have zero apparent interest in my lifestyle, so don’t ask about it, so I feel no loss in my position.

i do feel comfortable that if I felt things were going wrong, I could get what I needed.

RosemaryJackson

Morning all. My friend took me back to the hospital yesterday and they say they don't know what's wrong with my yes. So I have an appt today at Lincoln Hospital to see an Opthalmologist because my eyes are a bit blurry and I have a headache. Fingers crossed it's nothing nasty. As for food, I have no idea yet. I.m not hungry and forgot to get anything out of the freezer. So it's all up in the air atm.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all. My friend took me back to the hospital yesterday and they say they don't know what's wrong with my yes. So I have an appt today at Lincoln Hospital to see an Opthalmologist because my eyes are a bit blurry and I have a headache. Fingers crossed it's nothing nasty. As for food, I have no idea yet. I.m not hungry and forgot to get anything out of the freezer. So it's all up in the air atm.
I do hope the opthalmologist can help, so sorry you're going through this x

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck today hope it goes well.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All so MIA again….
Yesterday usual brekkie of slice LC toast, butter, copious tea.
Then out to felting workshop so onlybtwo cups of tea and no food until got back. Had bag of The Curators smoky bacon puffs which I hadn’t had before but found in the snack aisle and they were very satisfying. Much later t/a of cauli bhajee and Tandoori King Prawns, two Lime gin & sodas.
Today usual brekkie.
Lunch will be two meaty sausages with a fried egg, courtesy of Mr P’s brunch cook up Sunday special.
Supper with be Thai chicken stir fry from farm shop red and yellow matchsticks added.
@MommaE sorry for the sudden loss of your friend.
@RosemaryJackson how annoying that your eye has flared up again. Anything to do with eyes are so uncomfortable and painful. Hope the Ophtalmologist can find a solution to relieve you.
On the broccoli discussion Ijust want to add that while choosing my head of broccoli on Thursday a male pensioner next to me chose one and snapped off the stalk and threw it back in box, smiled at me and said “that will save me at least 15p. Funny!

sueh21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all, @MommaE sorry for your loss,good that you could celebrate their life, @RosemaryJackson hope you are ok and get some answers at the hospital
Yesterday, out all day at Sewing show at NEC, lots of walking, what is it about being out and about makes you more hungry! Was good though, before I would have bought something bad from a food outlet!
B Yog and keto granola
L Took a chicken salad with me and a ketochef cheese roll
Mixed nuts on train on way home
D HM courgette and ricotta soup, paté on a livlife toast

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all, @MommaE sorry for your loss,good that you could celebrate their life, @RosemaryJackson hope you are ok and get some answers at the hospital
Yesterday, out all day at Sewing show at NEC, lots of walking, what is it about being out and about makes you more hungry! Was good though, before I would have bought something bad from a food outlet!
B Yog and keto granola
Envious. Did you spend much at the NEC?

RosemaryJackson

Good afternoon. Been to Lincoln and he said it is most certainly an allergy and obviously I am using whatever I am allergic to every day or so. So it's quite a conundrum! I have more anti-histamines and anti-biotics so we shall see what happens. Sent you all a hug to thank you for your good wishes. X On the subject of food, we stopped and had a breakfast, sausage, bacon, egg, beans and buttered toast.

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good afternoon. I had a sirloin steak with mushrooms and green beans for lunch today. Not the best steak ever, but it gave my teeth a workout at least.

PXL_20240317_141228334.PORTRAIT.jpg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Late breakfast of a perfectly boiled duck egg on LC bread with cheese, and a cup of lightly salted kefir.
Boiling eggs and finding out you nailed the timing always feels like you've won the lottery, especially with all the different sized eggs our garden provides. :hilarious:

Evening meal will be the same as yesterday and the day before, so I thought to share my breakfast for a change. :joyful:

1710688678346.png

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
B Yog and keto granola
An NEC sewing show. Sounds wonderful. I went to a knitting class yesterday which was lovely. Learned Latvian braid.

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good afternoon. Been to Lincoln and he said it is most certainly an allergy and obviously I am using whatever I am allergic to every day or so. So it's quite a conundrum! I have more anti-histamines and anti-biotics so we shall see what happens. Sent you all a hug to thank you for your good wishes. X On the subject of food, we stopped and had a breakfast, sausage, bacon, egg, beans and buttered toast.
But at least it’s a step in the direction of getting rid of it. Now to narrow down what you could be allergic to. I remember Lincoln sausages very fondly.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Came in on this late so glad to see that you have some sort of resolution to the alarming eye problem. Now it's a question of finding out what it is that is causing the reaction - unless you are being sent to have further investigations, that will be a matter of trial and error.

Probably something that is fairly new to you since it has only been happening in the last while (although it could be something that has been around longer and you have built up an allergy to it over time). First things to check are things that you haven't had or had around you for long. Put them away somewhere where you won't be exposed to them and see if that has an effect. It would be better if your GP or nurse could oversee the process though. You could try removing everything except a few basic requirements (usually suggested is eating only white rice and a protein source that you have had for years without a reaction, plus the same with vegetables, but that isn't any good for blood sugar).

We have had a lot of experience of this process over the years - our health board doesn't do allergy testing so it has been up to us to find the problems for ourselves. Can be a complex process, especially if you have multiple intolerances. If you had, you would have known it by now, so it is probably something much more clear cut.

I do hope you can find a solution quickly and stop all the discomfort and worry you have been having of late.

EDIT: I meant to add that I had more of my vegetable bigos for breakfast at 05:45. Took a dose of insulin that I have used before for a bowlful - result: 10:00, just stopped the BG drop at 3.3 and have been struggling ever since to stay above 4.0 (4 biscuits, 2 dates, tea with milk and 2 fruit pastilles throughout the day so far) and BG currently at 4.1.

I have some chicken thighs brining at the moment and will toss them in some spices and roast them for my 2nd meal - to have alongside some more of the bigos. These are the big pack that was the only thing Neil could get for me, which contains 15 thighs! I think I'll be freezing 13 of them.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eggs on avocado on l/c toast for breakfast. @Antje77 agree with you about that feeling of having nailed the egg timing. ( tbh I consider it a win if I’ve managed to stay in the kitchen and not wander off and forget them til they explode)

H/m yoghurt and seeds for lunch.

Dinner was roast leg of lamb with green beans and cabbage cooked in butter. 2 glasses dry Italian red.
I did actually wander out of the kitchen while the spuds ( for everyone else) par boiled before roasting. By the time I remembered them, they’d cooked to a pulp so drained and mixed with cabbage and spring onion became colcannon to celebrate St Patrick’s day ( we don’t have any Irish roots but never mind)
IMG_1710699108.956615.jpg