What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs topped with a knob of butter, avocado and three crevettes seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Mushroom and spinach frittata made with eggs, Cheddar cheese, onion, double cream and thyme.
Vegetable tray bake using broccoli, cauliflower, sweet red peppers and leeks drizzled with olive oil.
Steamed French beans smothered with butter.
Skipped pudding.
Water to drink.

D: Seafood salad made with mussels and brown shrimps, lettuce, Romano peppers, celery, baby plum tomatoes, Kalamata olives, lemon verbena and salad onions, with a dollop of home-made aioli for dipping, topped with roasted macadamia nuts..
Water to wash down tablets.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a lovely dinner at the Afghan restaurant.
If you ever visit the city of Leeuwarden, I highly recommend the mixed grill, skip the rice!

And don't do as I did.
Not only had I two of the amazing böreği (deep fried very thin filo dough filled with feta, yum!), but I couldn't resist the bread coming with the other starter of olives, hummus, zaziki and another tasty dip. Didn't have much of the bread, I had most of the dips with a spoon, there is no rule on not using a spoon for dipping as far as I know of.
Not regretting, and it looks like I'm coming down from shortly hitting 11 very nicely.

For drinks, I had a doogh, a yoghurt drink.
I think this restaurant adds some finely crumbled feta cheese to the drink, which is amazing, and I'm going to buy feta to try and replicate the effect with my kefir. :hungry:

Mains was a very generous mixed grill: small lamb chops, steak, and chicken, all perfectly grilled, done but juicy. And more than enough for a full meal with a little salad. I couldn't finish it, so I'll have some more of the meat tomorrow. :)

View attachment 66856
View attachment 66857
View attachment 66858
View attachment 66859
Oddly, I was thinking about Leeurwarden a couple of days ago. I was there, briefly, in 1963. Tom and I were engaged in April of that year and then he had to go back to sea but his ship went into drydock a couple of months later, somewhere close to Leeurwarden, so I flew to Amsterdam and Tom found us a little hotel in Leeurwarden. Then it seemed like a charming little town but the hotel was full of spiders - long legged, pale beige ones. I hated it. I was 18 and it was the first time out of UK for me and only the 2nd time on a plane. I was wondering what it was like now, after 60 years. So, it's a city now and probably vastly enlarged over the intervening years.

Best part about the hotel was the breakfast. I'd never seen bread and chocolate for breakfast and thought it a wonderful invention of the Dutch.

The Afghan food looks wonderful - possibly even better than bread and chocolate.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So, it's a city now
Oh, it's officially been a city for at least the last 589 years, and depending on your definition of city, you might even claim it has been a city for 739 years! :hilarious:
Yes, it has grown since the 60's but it's still not a large city by any means, cities in the north of the Netherlands tend to be smallish.

Bread and chocolate sprinkles are still a very common breakfast in the Netherlands for both children and adults. Any hotel in the Netherlands will have sprinkles right next to the peanut butter, jam, and cheese to put on your bread. It tastes especially good on fluffy white bread with a generous amount of butter, haven't had it in at least 10 years though.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had breakfast - cold platter of h/b egg, wafer thin ham, cold sausages and tomato.

2nd meal should be haddock with a lightly spiced tomato sauce. That's if I'm not too frazzled by the day's events.

Charity shop men are coming to pick up large items of furniture and kitchen equipment to sell in the shop. Cupcakes to finish off for Em (I asked her if I could bake something for her because I am missing the baking opportunities). Then received a request for more cakes to make for a party for children and mums and some soup as well, probably for the mums. I don't suppose kids will be in the mood for soup at a party. Someone else is bringing chicken nuggets, pizza and such. The party is tomorrow lunchtime so will need to get as much done today as possible. Shouldn't be too difficult, unless I run out of steam.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh, it's officially been a city for at least the last 589 years, and depending on your definition of city, you might even claim it has been a city for 739 years! :hilarious:
Yes, it has grown since the 60's but it's still not a large city by any means, cities in the north of the Netherlands tend to be smallish.

Bread and chocolate sprinkles are still a very common breakfast in the Netherlands for both children and adults. Any hotel in the Netherlands will have sprinkles right next to the peanut butter, jam, and cheese to put on your bread. It tastes especially good on fluffy white bread with a generous amount of butter, haven't had it in at least 10 years though.
I haven't had it since the summer of 1963 but I still remember it.

RosemaryJackson

Talking about Leeuwarden reminds me of the wonderful time I lived in Nederland. I moved to a farm just outside Leeuwarden in 1959 to live with my Dutch fiance's parents. I lived and helped on the farm for 3 months and learned to speak Dutch, then moved to Heemstede near Haarlem to work as a Nanny. We married in the town hall there and later moved to Amersfoort. I cherish the 2 years I spent there. Back to the food. I have beef stew today and enough for tomorrow for both my granddaughter and me. I have ham, eggs, beetroot, cottage cheese and salad for tea.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone! Sun is out... for now!

Breakfast is sausages, chaffle, greek salad and cauliflower (I go with whatever my stomach brain tells me to eat nowadays so breakfasts are increasingly odd!)

Dinner will be steak with cauliflower and purple sprouting broccoli with pork puffs as a side.

Slow weight loss is continuing and blood sugar is stabilising after lingering post virus illness. Blood pressure coming down very nicely as well. My blood sugar app wanted me to add a weight loss goal... no thanks! Weight loss is a primary goal but that's one number I don't worry about if I'm keeping my food in the healthy range.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening @filly. If you find a brand of gherkins that is low in salt and sugar, please let us know.
@filly - we get Mrs Elwood's Haimisha gherkins. Tesco always seem to have them, as do most of the big supermarkets. It does say they should be eaten in a ridiculously short time once opened, but both my DIL and I ignore that. We keep them in the fridge, they're pickled, and we still use them a couple of weeks later with no I'll effects. Note: it has to be the Haimisha one. They have a straight Mrs Elwood's but that's packed with sugars.
Screenshot_20240322_135219_Samsung%20Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240322_135206_Samsung%20Internet.jpg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thursday 21 March - bed 7.7 FBG 7.5. Dropped into the low 5's for most of today. Got grandson to do creative writing today. It was surprisingly good. He has an imaginative mind for sci-fi or futuristic scenarios. His Business assignment was great too - Economics, one of my specialities, but he didn't need my help!

B. Which ran into lunch, TAG, 2 slices of SRSLY toast with pate, Benecol dairy free.

L. See B.

D. Same as yesterday as I had chilli left. LC wrap, beef chilli, smashed avocado, sour cream, cheese, salsa, lettuce, tomato. I did have a GF taco shell too. Half scoop of Halo Top with raspberries. Gin and soda.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Talking about Leeuwarden reminds me of the wonderful time I lived in Nederland. I moved to a farm just outside Leeuwarden in 1959 to live with my Dutch fiance's parents. I lived and helped on the farm for 3 months and learned to speak Dutch, then moved to Heemstede near Haarlem to work as a Nanny. We married in the town hall there and later moved to Amersfoort. I cherish the 2 years I spent there. Back to the food. I have beef stew today and enough for tomorrow for both my granddaughter and me. I have ham, eggs, beetroot, cottage cheese and salad for tea.
You must have lived very close to where I live!
I live where the green X is. :)

1711118758763.png

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Coffee and cream.
Coffee and unsweetened almond milk
Cheese and tomato
Corned Beef and tomato
Another bit of cheese
Smoked Salmon

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Beautiful spring day and my tulips are putting on a good show so decided on a new tulip avatar.
First thing small kefir with supplements before heading out
Lunchtime small portion of kimchi then two eggs scrambled and served on LC toast followed by rhubarb and hm yoghurt
Dinner salmon and delicious but eye watering expensive early English asparagus from local farm shop. Then LC brownie and decaffeinated coffee.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Deliberately didn't check it would probably have had an impact but was a treat - I normally stick to black - and had only had kefir and nuts until the coffee in the afternoon so felt I had some leeway. I knew too my only proper meal was going to be late.

Good idea not to check. If you’ve given yourself permission to go a bit off piste it’s best to just enjoy it. I bet it was delicious.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A black coffee first thing then a long dog walk. Strained latest batch of yoghurt ( I like the texture when it’s almost solid and it’s kinder to my BG levels plus Dennis likes the whey) made more sauerkraut and bottled latest batch of red cabbage&ginger.
L- airfried belly pork. Some Brie and ‘pickled’ cauliflower. An odd combo but suited me at the time. Choc chia pud to follow.
Granddaughters staying this weekend so made one of their favourite meals for dinner. As luck would have it, it’s a DD recipe! https://eatapp.page.link/jPjhoM2mQwe7x6YJ8
IMG_1711134701.695345.jpg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a H&B protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Dinner: Tomato, cheese and mushroom LC pizza accompanied by coleslaw.

2024-03-22 18.57.29.jpeg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Couldn't get to sleep last night as was really hungry!
Tossed and turned until i got about 4 hours sleep
B: a 90 bread with marmite and cheese, a few nuts. 2 cwc. Think there was something else but can't remember what!
Early afternoon a dgf lemon cake with a cup of tea.
D: fat head pizza with chorizo. A small ice cream ( get 6-10 portions out of 500g pot)

Last edited:

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Best part about the hotel was the breakfast. I'd never seen bread and chocolate for breakfast and thought it a wonderful invention of the Dutch.
Goodness @Annb, that phobia took hold early in life. For me, the spiders would have been at least as interesting as the breakfast, but we won't go there.

Now you mention it, I remember a school friend returned from a stay with her Dutch relatives and talked enthusiastically about chocolate with bread and butter for breakfast with cheese and cocoa to drink. In 60s England, even the inclusion of cheese, never mind chocolate at breakfast time, sounded revolutionary to English schoolchildren!

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How interesting! @Antje77 It's good to know that uniquely Dutch tradition has persisted.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@filly - we get Mrs Elwood's Haimisha gherkins. Tesco always seem to have them, as do most of the big supermarkets. It does say they should be eaten in a ridiculously short time once opened, but both my DIL and I ignore that. We keep them in the fridge, they're pickled, and we still use them a couple of weeks later with no I'll effects. Note: it has to be the Haimisha one. They have a straight Mrs Elwood's but that's packed with sugars.View attachment 66862View attachment 66863
Thanks for the tip @maglil55!