What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ziggy_w my eyes lit up at the words "Lidl protein roll". Are they back in your area or are you going to deflate me by saying you had a huge supply in the freezer?

Hi @maglil55,

Yes, @ianpspurs is correct, they are from a German Lidl store. Can't really understand why they aren't selling them in your stores any more. Hugs!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really hope you’re right. Still high readings this morning and still not so much as a runny nose. Feel fine. Beginning to wonder if my fab readings were just beginners luck. And seeing my predicted hba1c keep going up on the mySugr app is actually so depressing! 3 weeks till my first bloods since diagnosis and if I carry on like this for the next 3 weeks they’ll be no different to when I started. And I don’t appear to be able to do a thing about it

Really empathize with you. I know how frustrating it can be to see blood sugars rise and not knowing why. I still think though that in your case your body fighting a bug is the most likely explanation.

Keeping my fingers crossed that you'll be seeing better numbers soon.

Reactions: maglil55

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @maglil55,

Yes, @ianpspurs is correct, they are from a German Lidl store. Can't really understand why they aren't selling them in your stores any more. Hugs!

I can. The British have no history of eating well or buying sensible food. Now, if we were talking donuts ,,, Alternatively, the foaming loonies of the ERG would say it was Brussels bullying. I think the first one has the ring of truth.:angelic:

Reactions: jjraak and maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tender brisket sounds like unicorn eggs to me. How can anyone make that stuff edible? My baseline comparison is Ox cheek. If you have a recipe I would be interested but my mum and both grandmothers always said it was inedible.

https://twosleevers.com/braised-brisket/
This is the recipe I used, but didn’t add the liquid smoke (it’s not something that appeals to me)
I think the most important thing is to use good quality beef. I’ve cooked brisket from supermarkets and it’s been tough and chewy even after long cooking. The joint we had was from a local farm ( my daughter’s friends) where the beef is superb, they win a lot of awards.
Still haven’t cooked the ox cheek and we are going away for the weekend so it’ll be something nice to look forward to next week.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Since no reading has made any sense today the obvious solution was the alt. ctrl, delete manoeuvre - fast. Can't believe bg would be 6.7 at 16.30 ( 22 hrs no food) after nothing but tea with almond milk all day. Spent the day moving my gym and furniture, retrieving infants bed parts and assembling, unwrapping new table and chairs.
Menu: Tea; Assam; Yorkshire; Nuwara, Eliyah Pekoe (Gourmet Tea??)
See if I go back to default mode tomorrow.
Thanks @DJC3 I find liquid smoke rather spiffing. I think you have answered my question about brisket.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I first started with black tea I had to have the tiniest amount of sugar in it. I do mean tiny - about 6 grains on the tip of a teaspoon. Oddly Hubby was the same. Many years later I decided it was daft as that tiny amount wasn't changing it. Hubby managed to go back to tea with milk but I just couldn't. 3 weeks of enforced black tea changed my tastebuds forever.
Re "just a sip" don't want Hubby thinking I'm going alcoholic! It is very Bailey-like though but without the intense sweetness so you really get the hints of the other ingredients. The final recipe which I've now added to Copy Me That

LOW CARB BAILEYS

1.5 Cups Irish Whisky (I used Jamesons)
1.5 Cups Double Cream (I added another "bloop" when warming which was about 2 tablespoons worth)
8 teaspoons granulated sweetener (this depends on which one you are using. I started with 5 but added another 3 teaspoons as I tasted)
1 teaspoon almond essence
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
1 espresso coffee shot
Tiny pinch of salt.

Method - incredibly easy.

Measure all the items apart from the Whisky and The cream into a clean pot. I then added about half the cream and whisky. Warm it slowly - do not let it boil. All you are doing it dissolving the granulated sweetener. About 5 mins in mix in the rest of The cream/whisky.
I set the timer for 15 mins total so it was another 10 mins warming and stirring after the last of the cream/whisky went in.
After 15 mins of warming/stirring I poured it through a sieve into a large Pyrex jug and let it cool. Bottle once cool and refrigerate.

This produced 600 mls of "Baileys" and since my Kilner bottles were 500 mls I was "forced" to drink some of it. However, when first made the almond essence and whisky is dominant and it's a bit thin. 24 hrs on in the fridge it is much better.

The coffee/cocoa settles at the bottom so you have to turn the bottle upside down and give it a good shake every time you are going to serve it. Kilner bottles are ideal as you can see it going through the mix AND they have a good secure stopper.

This produces 12 - 50ml measures. Nutritionals per 50 mls

Calories 212
Fat 15.2g of which
Saturated 9.5g
Carbs 3.5g
Fibre 2.4g
Sugar 0.5g
Protein 0.6g

Sodium 73.3mg
Potassium 3.3mg
Calcium 0.1%
Iron 0.3%

I’ve Copied Me That too now, thank you for your diligent and enthusiastic research!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I can. The British have no history of eating well or buying sensible food. Now, if we were talking donuts ,,, Alternatively, the foaming loonies of the ERG would say it was Brussels bullying. I think the first one has the ring of truth.:angelic:
It's not just the ERG that are foaming loonies - there's a heck of a lot of them in Westminster currently. I suspect a lot of the so called journalists will be out of a job when this is finally over (if it ever is). They won't know what to talk about.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @maglil55,

I knew you were (are) in Germany @ziggy_w. I was thinking you were in the same boat as us in that Lidl stopped selling them despite the outcry but obviously they continued making them in their German stores.
Ever considered exporting them? (On second thoughts not a good time with this Brexit hoo ha going on).

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's not just the ERG that are foaming loonies - there's a heck of a lot of them in Westminster currently. I suspect a lot of the so called journalists will be out of a job when this is finally over (if it ever is). They won't know what to talk about.
Bannon and Trump - must soon be time to start the 2020 US President circus. Lock him up?:angelic:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Really empathize with you. I know how frustrating it can be to see blood sugars rise and not knowing why. I still think though that in your case your body fighting a bug is the most likely explanation.

Keeping my fingers crossed that you'll be seeing better numbers soon.
You may get a shopping list if you come over to UK in Jan we all miss them !

Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Busy shopping day today but very successful gift buying - not all done but getting there. Birmingham though, like everywhere I’m sure, was so cold and wet with sleet. Did 10,000 steps walking around ! Got off train at the jewellery quarter where I had something to buy and then very scenic but cold walk down to main centre. I’m still trying to warm up!
Breakfast half slice of Hilo toast with egg
Mid am Flat white in jewellery quarter celebrating successful jewellery mission!
Lunch took with me for a picnic in m and s - slices of home cooked ham and one square of 81% choc with m and s filter coffee and cream.
Dinner ham, salad and lc seeded crispbreads with glass of red wine followed by SF jelly and yoghurt
Managed to also go to large Hotel Chocolat and use my 15% voucher code amongst other things got my first advent calendar for years! Researched before hand and lowest advent calendar was the supermilk one - less than both the 100% cocoa and dark one!each daily treat is a chocolate of 1.5g of carbs so easily fits in my keto lifestyle I will save it up for lunch with coffee...... 1st December will be celebrated this year!

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast - strong coffee
Lunch - 2 chicken wings and 3 ribs
Dinner - nothing. Feel very bloated and sick. Maybe that’s what’s been brewing? Or maybe protein overload at lunch. Or maybe just the annoyance of numbers making me ill. Who knows. But not going to force food in while I’m not at all hungry so may as well turn it into a longer fast

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Managed to also go to large Hotel Chocolat and use my 15% voucher code amongst other things got my first advent calendar for years! Researched before hand and lowest advent calendar was the supermilk one - less than both the 100% cocoa and dark one!each daily treat is a chocolate of 1.5g of carbs so easily fits in my keto lifestyle I will save it up for lunch with coffee...... 1st December will be celebrated this year!

That’s brilliant. What a find, And milk chocolate too? I havent had that for a year. What a lovely treat to look forward to every day.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s brilliant. What a find, And milk chocolate too? I havent had that for a year. What a lovely treat to look forward to every day.
Supermilk uses milk for sweetness no sugar whereas sugar is added to the darker stuff!

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Large caffetiere of coffee with cream first thing ( 3 mugs, must cut down, that can’t be good)

B: slice of emmental and 1/2 slice ham. Tea with almond milk.

Lunch made up chicken soup in IP ( chicken leg, small bit of onion, celery, cabbage and stock then cream cheese stirred through at the end)

D: pork chop with garlic and lemon butter and buttery cabbage. 2 glasses red 1 small sliver of Kernow Gold cheese ( the stinky one)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Supermilk uses milk for sweetness no sugar whereas sugar is added to the darker stuff!

Ah, that’s interesting, so it’ll still be sweeter than the Callebaut 100% cocoa mass, but probably smoother too. I must hunt some out. Not long to wait for 1st Dec!

Reactions: ziggy_w

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow. Grandson's 6th birthday today- A wholly different person back then - this one is much more orfentick not bent and twisted out of shape by career.
Breakfast: - Tea : -
Dockey : Coffee with soya cream after swimming
Lunch : Normal Avocado and mackerel salad with tea
Mid Afternoon: coffee in the car on the way to see the birthday boy
Evening meal: Brisket with kale and cabbage; CCB (instead of birthday cake); small glass red wine - our first born tries to cook meals as LC as he can - (no more brisket ever please)
Hope you all enjoyed celebrating such a special birthday x

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great thanks, I can have a new fat theme every week :)
I made some this week, strawberry cheesecake fat bombs, very easy and such a pretty colour :)

Attachments

• 819F17F3-F1A6-4AF9-8160-1FCD07561BA0.jpeg
    819F17F3-F1A6-4AF9-8160-1FCD07561BA0.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 271