What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The soup sounds lovely, going to have to give that a try.

The hazelnuts go really well with celeriac. Here’s a quick summary of the recipe:
Chop and saute the following very slowly in 50g butter - 1 celeriac, 1/2 onion, 1stick celery, 75g hazelnuts ( I used chopped roast ones, recipe said blanched)
After about 15 mins add 1 litre veg stock and simmer.
Turn off heat and liquidise then stir in 100ml creme fraiche.
Pesto for dolloping on top was just chopped sage leaves, more hazelnuts and olive oil bashed together.
Very tasty and filling.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: roast chicken, one small roast potato, one tiny parsnip, mixed veg and gravy thickened with flax, followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: raspberry chia pudding and black coffee.
Tea at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by .... you’ve guessed it one Jaffa cake!
I’m off on my holibobs tomorrow, I’m taking a few low carb treats from Xmas, that I’ve kept in the freezer, to keep me on the straight and narrow for the coffee shop and bakery visits by the rest of the mob!

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: roast chicken, one small roast potato, one tiny parsnip, mixed veg and gravy thickened with flax, followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: raspberry chia pudding and black coffee.
Tea at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by .... you’ve guessed it one Jaffa cake!
I’m off on my holibobs tomorrow, I’m taking a few low carb treats from Xmas, that I’ve kept in the freezer, to keep me on the straight and narrow for the coffee shop and bakery visits by the rest of the mob!
Enjoy your break away!

Reactions: zauberflote

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
apologies..i have been mia a few days...sorry all :sorry:

let me play catch up with todays, menu.

sunday.
B..3 tbs greek yogurt, 10 blueberries, 2 strawberries cut up..delicious.

Dinner /tea 7pm
nibbled small piece of jarlsberg cheese..tiny portion
roast chicken 1/4 ...mediterranean veg, roasted, bag of M/V mixed veg, ( blocolli/beans in pod.)
2 butternut squash croquettes (sainsbury)

lots of teas/water....( no more drinking coffee )

aiming for 2MAD..as i can't at this time justify the 'rough' feeling no food brings.
but am hoping to make one of those meal, more of a snack.

Hope all are ok..?
will plough through previous posts, to refresh myself.

@maglil55 , what an horrendous experience, glad you got licence back.
@Boo1979 ...driving stadards are just SO low nowadays...Glad your ok..sorry about the renewed back pain, tho.
@dunelm , hope there is no recurrence..not pleasant, did you ever find out reason ?

@ianpspurs , aw mate, that sounds rough...hope you heal soon.

@Chook , i sadly qualify in april for the card, MIGHT investigate getting one, as many seem to find it useful.

Cheers all.
rest well.

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Went to a Diabetes Workshop today and was very pleasantly surprised.
It was organised by the local CCG and run by a local GP who was very switched on about Lchf.

She talked about the need for patients to be proactive and not assume their medication would cure them, and how important it was to know your HbA1c ( nobody else there knew theirs)

She told us not to drink fruit juice, even the ones labelled ‘no added sugar’ or eat ‘healthy’ cereal bars and generally talked a lot of sense about carbs, saying they all break down to sugar and they aren’t essential for energy!

It got a bit confused at the end when she said people should look at the packets and check fat content but all in all it wasn't a waste of time and I managed to spout on a bit about this forum which she seemed very supportive of. Wow!

well...that IS encouraging....nice one .

Stupid question, @DJC3 , but why were you on the course ?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin All,

Yesterday was
B: 2 sausages and a 2 egg scramble with herbs, cream and Parmesan.
L: forgot to eat
5pm: DD Garama Masala chicken. Yum
9pm: busy evening and got home ravenous. 3 sausages.

Today
B: 2 chillied eggs over garlic mushrooms
L: none
D: Mongolian beef. Delighted with it. 10 mins in instant pot. First time I have used skirt steak. Not the last!!! Had to tweak recipe to lower carbs enough, but I left the pineapple in as my token veg portion.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@ianpspurs so sorry this is dragging on- I hope it resolves very soon! Codeine is No Fun.
Re the THM and sprouting grain flour— we have a bread brand here called Ezekiel 4:9 Bread. It is made of living sprouts of the grains mentioned in that verse, but the carbs on the label are very high and the fiber negligible. I’ll be following this discussion, as the products sound similar?
Please save some of that Christmas chocolate for mee-eee!!!
@DJC3 I don’t know where I’m going to find celeriac, or hazelnuts for that matter, but that soup does sound delicious enough to go hunting for those items. After my kids give me an immersion blender for my bday.
@Rachox HAVE FUN!!!! (Look at me, I figured out what “holibobs” meant and feel I deserve a prize!)
Bfast 1/2 avocado, egg, decaf/soy/cream
Lunch took Mom out to Panera w Mr ZF. Forgot to order dressing on the side so didn’t eat much salad. Tuna “salad” (more like slop) sandwich, my half just tuna and lettuce/tomato. Fairly nasty. Decaf/1/2+1/2.
On return home chunk swiss cheese
Supper greens, cuke, toms, lots of leftover quiche, very small piece of my bread.
We are going to stay up for the eclipse tonight. Totality starts 11.41 so at 11:43 I’m under the covers immediately!

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs so sorry this is dragging on- I hope it resolves very soon! Codeine is No Fun.
Re the THM and sprouting grain flour— we have a bread brand here called Ezekiel 4:9 Bread. It is made of living sprouts of the grains mentioned in that verse, but the carbs on the label are very high and the fiber negligible. I’ll be following this discussion, as the products sound similar?
Please save some of that Christmas chocolate for mee-eee!!!
@DJC3 I don’t know where I’m going to find celeriac, or hazelnuts for that matter, but that soup does sound delicious enough to go hunting for those items. After my kids give me an immersion blender for my bday.
@Rachox HAVE FUN!!!! (Look at me, I figured out what “holibobs” meant and feel I deserve a prize!)
Bfast 1/2 avocado, egg, decaf/soy/cream
Lunch took Mom out to Panera w Mr ZF. Forgot to order dressing on the side so didn’t eat much salad. Tuna “salad” (more like slop) sandwich, my half just tuna and lettuce/tomato. Fairly nasty. Decaf/1/2+1/2.
On return home chunk swiss cheese
Supper greens, cuke, toms, lots of leftover quiche, very small piece of my bread.
We are going to stay up for the eclipse tonight. Totality starts 11.41 so at 11:43 I’m under the covers immediately!

@zauberflote it’s sometimes easy to forget we are on different continents and have different words for things. Celeriac is celery root and I think hazelnuts are what you’d call filberts. You definitely need an immersion blender. Stick around this thread and you will soon have a kitchen full of gadgets you didn’t know you needed!

I didn’t see the eclipse, I hope you did - should have been visible here at 5am but I forgot to set my alarm.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@dunelm , hope there is no recurrence..not pleasant, did you ever find out reason ?.

No reason that I could think of.
As a war pensioner, I get a whole body MOT each year which includes the complementary luxury invasive pokes, prods and a take home album of tasteless photos and compromising X-rays.
Will be bringing it up though, so to speak, at my next visit to the GP practice bewilderment team.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No reason that I could think of.
As a war pensioner, I get a whole body MOT each year which includes the complementary luxury invasive pokes, prods and a take home album of tasteless photos and compromising X-rays.
Will be bringing it up though, so to speak, at my next visit to the GP practice bewilderment team.

Pure class..LoL :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

chuckling away like a loon...

barrack humour, so essential to getting through lifes sticky* situations
(*NOT the word of choice ;) )

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@dunelm and @zauberflote

First I agree with what the USA words for celeriac and hazelnuts are. DIL said celeriac was not something you came across often in the US and if you did she probably wouldn't have known what to do with it.
I do have my concerns about sprouting grain flour. Certainly the blend I looked at had fibre amounts around 11g per 100g but carbs at around 70g seem seriously high to me too. I was about to discard it but kept coming across comments that it behaves like vegetables and doesn't spike so I feel another experiment coming on if I can get everything (or a close version) that the THMs use as the bread looks amazing. If it spikes then so be it but since they claim that the THM way stabilises BGs got it give it a go since the caveman site I mentioned also made the point that they would not regard some of these recipes as low carb but they seem to fulfill the brief of no BG spike.
Will keep you posted.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@dunelm and @zauberflote

First I agree with what the USA words for celeriac and hazelnuts are. DIL said celeriac was not something you came across often in the US and if you did she probably wouldn't have known what to do with it.
I do have my concerns about sprouting grain flour. Certainly the blend I looked at had fibre amounts around 11g per 100g but carbs at around 70g seem seriously high to me too. I was about to discard it but kept coming across comments that it behaves like vegetables and doesn't spike so I feel another experiment coming on if I can get everything (or a close version) that the THMs use as the bread looks amazing. If it spikes then so be it but since they claim that the THM way stabilises BGs got it give it a go since the caveman site I mentioned also made the point that they would not regard some of these recipes as low carb but they seem to fulfill the brief of no BG spike.
Will keep you posted.
Thanks for the info.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@DJC3 I’d looked up celeriac, but have never seen it in a produce department. I don’t think hazelnuts are filberts— we used to get those in our Christmas in-shell nut mix and I hated them as a child, but I love Nutella and Mozartkugel. Maybe pecans would do; I love them and they are very buttery. The eclipse was way cool, but here the clouds rolled in right before totality
@dunelm adding my to your description! Sorry you have to deal with it!!
Happy to have you as guinea pig @maglil ! After my next-and-decisive HbA1c test next month, I may give our Ezekiel bread a run. Although... I like my own better! and already know it’s practically on the “negative spike” scale for me usually.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DJC3 I’d looked up celeriac, but have never seen it in a produce department. I don’t think hazelnuts are filberts— we used to get those in our Christmas in-shell nut mix and I hated them as a child, but I love Nutella and Mozartkugel. Maybe pecans would do; I love them and they are very buttery. The eclipse was way cool, but here the clouds rolled in right before totality
@dunelm adding my to your description! Sorry you have to deal with it!!
Happy to have you as guinea pig @maglil ! After my next-and-decisive HbA1c test next month, I may give our Ezekiel bread a run. Although... I like my own better! and already know it’s practically on the “negative spike” scale for me usually.
DIL said they called them filberts in Minnesota but in Illinois it was Hazel or ground nuts. Didn't know nuts had different names in different states. Nutella is made from hazelnuts.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@maglil and I found celery root on a chain’s website at “my store” so yay! Celeriac and Nutella soup!
In Virginia ground nuts are peanuts! We have as many local dialects as you do. I’ll bet your DIL calls generic sweetened carbonated drinks “pop”. We call it “soda” and in my youth it was “Co’cola” which stood for whatever was on offer. In the south, our regional accents are being erased by media. Makes me sad.
On a completely other note, your actors do generic American flawlessly. No American actor I’ve ever seen can do ANY accent from The South well except one born or raised here.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh good. Will await your findings on the sprouting grain flour. Sounds promising.
I do like the roasted celeriac but it needs more mouths than just me and Mrs Miggins.

It freezes well, peel and chop into roastie size lumps and chuck in a bag in the freezer, then you can just take out what you need. I cook it from frozen.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'm a bit later than usual due to reading some really good threads and the websites they gave links to. I 'm going to try a couple of different things to get my fasting blood glucose down and hopefully my weight as well. Good sense says it not a good idea to start something new half way through a day but I thought I would anyway. All three dogs have tummy bugs so I wasn't feeling much like eating anyway.:eek::confused::depressed::dead:

Today,

Breakfast: DD coconut porridge with raspberries and a splash of cream - which I won't be having again as my BG reacted quite badly - which is a shame as i did like the flavour after adding some vanilla and cinnamon

Lunch: Nothing

Dinner: Roast belly of pork eaten to satiety (so quite a lot) with a sugar free sweet chilli dipping sauce

Drinks: Morning: Black decaff coffee, Afternoon: still spring water, Dinner and evening: still spring water