What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 7.6 FBG 7 3. Thankfully got haircut this morning. It was getting long and annoying at Aqua. Straight out for shopping afterwards but not too much as I'm trying to use stuff in the freezer.
B. TAG with ADOC and slice of toasted high protein bread with pate.
L. After shopping - yet more tripe. Remainder now consigned to said freezer.
D. Hubby wants carbonara so spaghetti for him oomi noodle carbonara for me. Sadly the creme brulees are finished so it will have to be a little of the Graham's goodness ice cream with raspberries.
I've taken a rack of venison out of the freezer for tomorrow.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Realised I have started to put weight on so decided to eat a bit less: consequently appears to have been the most calorific for ages!

B: boiled egg and flaxseed bun with butter and marmite.
L: Smoked salmon, cream cheese and avocado
D: large pork chop ( a first for the airfryer and full marks awarded) with green beans, garlic and lemon butter. Then a meaty sausage that was meant to go with the meal but wouldn’t fit in the airfryer and I needed to test it out on sausages. Then some local Cornish cheese and red wine.

@Chook I adore slow roast lamb shoulder, it was one of the very best things about starting this WOE - realising I could have it again.
@maglil55 I’m also trying to clear a bit of space in my freezer, I’d love to find a venison joint in mine, but sadly it’s mostly frozen chips and wierd veggie stuff from when my youngest daughter luved here ( she moved out over a year ago so clear out is well overdue)
@Goonergal and @charlie000 I second steak and eggs, wonderful combination. If you want some greens though, wilted spinach is good - or a simple green salad with olive oil. Or How about halloumi chips?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Firstky, thanks to @shelley262, @Chook and @Brunneria for the tip on avoiding metformin for a while. 3rd day now and sprint gear not needed anymore. The rest of this WOE is still as clear as mud to me but 1 thing at a time.
Breakfast was tea then 2 tsps almond butter then @dunelm's flaxseed cracker with 2 slices mortadella and 1 slice jarlsberg. Lunch was tub of chorizo and cheddar rolitos (finally finished) egg mayo (h/g eggs and h/m mayo) with a little watercress and spinach. Evening meal was sizzle steak, portabello mushroom, essential salad and h/m mayo. Had 2 tbls homemade choc granola (surpised myself - found that ok but it was made for Julie) , 4 small strawberries and some double cream as a dessert. Drank more tea and had 2 sports bottles of LC electrolyte.
I wouldn't often eat much of that menu but branching out a little, slightly refeeding and not finding anything I really disliked.

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Firstky, thanks to @shelley262, @Chook and @Brunneria for the tip on avoiding metformin for a while. 3rd day now and sprint gear not needed anymore. The rest of this WOE is still as clear as mud to me but 1 thing at a time.
Breakfast was tea then 2 tsps almond butter then @dunelm's flaxseed cracker with 2 slices mortadella and 1 slice jarlsberg. Lunch was tub of chorizo and cheddar rolitos (finally finished) egg may (h/g eggs and h/m mayo) with a little watercress and spinach. Evening meal was sizzle steak, portabello mushroom, essential salad and h/m mayo. Had 2 tbls homemade choc granola (surpised myself - found that ok but it was made for Julie) , 4 small strawberries and some double cream as a dessert. Drank more tea and had 2 sports bottles of LC electrolyte.
I wouldn't often eat much of that menu but branching out a little, slightly refeeding and not finding anything I really disliked.

@ianpspurs What is it that makes this WOE as clear as mud to you. Maybe we can help? Is it that it contains foods you don't like?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs What is it that makes this WOE as clear as mud to you. Maybe we can help? Is it that it contains foods you don't like?
@Chook thanks for the offer of help. In small doses and on very rare occasions I can eat quite a range of LC food. For about a year now, since my bmi reached 22 or just below, I haven't been able to organise what I like, what is LC and what gives me enough energy into a regular pattern. Let's just leave that all before it derails the thread.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Realised I have started to put weight on so decided to eat a bit less: consequently appears to have been the most calorific for ages!

B: boiled egg and flaxseed bun with butter and marmite.
L: Smoked salmon, cream cheese and avocado
D: large pork chop ( a first for the airfryer and full marks awarded) with green beans, garlic and lemon butter. Then a meaty sausage that was meant to go with the meal but wouldn’t fit in the airfryer and I needed to test it out on sausages. Then some local Cornish cheese and red wine.

@Chook I adore slow roast lamb shoulder, it was one of the very best things about starting this WOE - realising I could have it again.
@maglil55 I’m also trying to clear a bit of space in my freezer, I’d love to find a venison joint in mine, but sadly it’s mostly frozen chips and wierd veggie stuff from when my youngest daughter luved here ( she moved out over a year ago so clear out is well overdue)
@Goonergal and @charlie000 I second steak and eggs, wonderful combination. If you want some greens though, wilted spinach is good - or a simple green salad with olive oil. Or How about halloumi chips?

Phew - Glad ou're enjoying your air fryer. I find it fab for all manner of fattier meats - sliced belly pork,.......mmmmmm

In terms of fitting "stuff" in, would a trivet, like the IP one work at all? I have a taller one for PIP in the IP. Provided the air can still circulate, you could have more than one layer of food.

My air fryer has shelves, so I routinely have things on different levels, and theoretically, with the circulating air, the temperature should be consistent through the whole chamber.

Just a thought.

Reactions: DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all busy paperwork day related to autistic adult son but got it all signed and ready for off after bank holiday so probably worth the forced indoors day. Will then await next stage! Suspect whole process will take a long while.
@ianpspurs I’m pleased that pausing Metformin is working for you - my pause turned into a never going back! Mum still pausing but waiting to hear her latest hbaca1 later this week before decision made about what’s best. At 88 and a half she’s drifted back into some carbs eating ( Yorkshire staples, bread and potatoes) - she did go fairly low, cutting out bread and spuds her main carbs , and was doing well but 88 years of eating fairly high carb has meant its been hard to change. However she has now has a small appetite so this limits amount of total carbs too. Dn appt and results on Thursday will be interesting. Her kidney deterioration had stabilised on low carb but they’ve already telephoned and booked her in for kidney repeat blood tests so concerned this may have changed but hoping not.
Breakfast sausage, bacon and egg
Lunch rhubarb, Greek yoghurt and cream, a few nuts and four squares of 100% montezumas absolut black chocolate
Dinner chicken curry and gin with soda water followed by more rhubarb and yog with cream.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Have been locked out of my house most of today by estate agents! Catching up got into my kitchen at 5pm and have made a braise of good braising steak, onion, garlic, tin chopped toms, glasss of red wine and chopped portobellos and 1 teasp Xylitol. Then moved on to braising some chicken fillets very slowly with finely chopped shallot and lots of tarragon, seasoning bay leaves and some good chicken stock. Have reduced the stock and will add some double cream before serving. Rice, sweetcorn accompaniments for the boys and green rice for me. It really is a weekend for braises and I h@ve enjoyed being in the kitchen with all the nice smells

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Have been locked out of my house most of today by estate agents! Catching up got into my kitchen at 5pm and have made a braise of good braising steak, onion, garlic, tin chopped toms, glasss of red wine and chopped portobellos and 1 teasp Xylitol. Then moved on to braising some chicken fillets very slowly with finely chopped shallot and lots of tarragon, seasoning bay leaves and some good chicken stock. Have reduced the stock and will add some double cream before serving. Rice, sweetcorn accompaniments for the boys and green rice for me. It really is a weekend for braises and I h@ve enjoyed being in the kitchen with all the nice smells
Good luck with the viewings hope you get the results. Well suppose as a low carber you can’t bake bread to persuade your potential buyers your home is homely but braises may work and it’s cold enough!

Reactions: zauberflote

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Phew - Glad ou're enjoying your air fryer. I find it fab for all manner of fattier meats - sliced belly pork,.......mmmmmm

In terms of fitting "stuff" in, would a trivet, like the IP one work at all? I have a taller one for PIP in the IP. Provided the air can still circulate, you could have more than one layer of food.

My air fryer has shelves, so I routinely have things on different levels, and theoretically, with the circulating air, the temperature should be consistent through the whole chamber.

Just a thought.

I think maybe the Lidl one has a smaller capacity? I didn’t check the Lakeland one. It’s fine for the two of us though - we were just being greedy tonight. Nobody really needs sausages with a big pork chop after all.
I dont think there would be room for 2 layers of food. I tried to prop the chops up against eachother so I could wedge the sausages in between but it didn’t really work and the chops were hitting the roof.
Do you make anything PIP in the airfryer? The little manual that came with it gave timings for cakes and quiche but no recipes so I’m not quite sure how that would work.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with the viewings hope you get the results. Well suppose as a low carber you can’t bake bread to persuade your potential buyers your home is homely but braises may work and it’s cold enough!
Thanks @shelley262 . Tbh this is going to ne the most difficult move downsizing and werealise it might not happen this year. I am hoping to find something which needs a new kitchen so I can make it how I want since I spend so much time there!
Hope all good with you and yours.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All

Fingers crossed for todays viewings. As @shelley262 says, you can’t really do the whole baking bread thing, but there’s always coffee smells ( without cream for you, as I know you’re not keen)
It’s certainly been cold enough for lovely braised stews today, your chicken dish in particular sounds wonderful and I bet it smells great too.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. OMAD plus a couple of small snackettes today.

Dinner was slow cooked pork leg which had been coated in butter and garlic. Removed the fat before serving and crisped it under the grill. Pretty yummy.

Earlier persuaded the good people at John Lewis that I could have one of the miniature bowls of clotted cream in lieu of a cake as part of their free hot drink and cake for members offer. Drew some interesting looks as I tucked into it with a teaspoon.

Just eaten half a pack (20g) crispy pork strips as feeling peckish.

2919FB75-A2E5-481E-8395-89755DECF01A.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all busy paperwork day related to autistic adult son but got it all signed and ready for off after bank holiday so probably worth the forced indoors day. Will then await next stage! Suspect whole process will take a long while.
@ianpspurs I’m pleased that pausing Metformin is working for you - my pause turned into a never going back! Mum still pausing but waiting to hear her latest hbaca1 later this week before decision made about what’s best. At 88 and a half she’s drifted back into some carbs eating ( Yorkshire staples, bread and potatoes) - she did go fairly low, cutting out bread and spuds her main carbs , and was doing well but 88 years of eating fairly high carb has meant its been hard to change. However she has now has a small appetite so this limits amount of total carbs too. Dn appt and results on Thursday will be interesting. Her kidney deterioration had stabilised on low carb but they’ve already telephoned and booked her in for kidney repeat blood tests so concerned this may have changed but hoping not.
Breakfast sausage, bacon and egg
Lunch rhubarb, Greek yoghurt and cream, a few nuts and four squares of 100% montezumas absolut black chocolate
Dinner chicken curry and gin with soda water followed by more rhubarb and yog with cream.

Hope all goes well with your mum and her HbA1c results. I sometimes feel relieved that I didn’t know a lot about diabetes a few years ago when I was caring for my dad. I knew he probably shouldn’t be eating sugar, and he did suffer from horrible hypos ( he was insulin dependant t2) but he died from pancreatic cancer in the end so I’m glad I didn’t nag him about what he should or shouldn’t be eating. I think that once one reaches one’s late 80s ( as my dad also did) then a little leeway is allowed, so long as it’s not obviously affecting lifestyle. He did insist on cream in his coffee however - just because that’s how he liked it, I was forever trying to get him to switch to semi skimmed milk!!!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think maybe the Lidl one has a smaller capacity? I didn’t check the Lakeland one. It’s fine for the two of us though - we were just being greedy tonight. Nobody really needs sausages with a big pork chop after all.
I dont think there would be room for 2 layers of food. I tried to prop the chops up against eachother so I could wedge the sausages in between but it didn’t really work and the chops were hitting the roof.
Do you make anything PIP in the airfryer? The little manual that came with it gave timings for cakes and quiche but no recipes so I’m not quite sure how that would work.

I haven't done PIP per se in the airfryer, but have done lamb chops (oh, yeah..... :) ), plus some gourmet oven chips for Mr B (and I had a small Jenga of chips), at the same time.

Someone, somewhere suggested an airfryer should just be viewed like a little oven. Whatever you'd make in an oven can be made in the airfryer. Just reduce the heat a bit (because of the swift air circulation), and reduce the time a bit.

We've been trying more and more of late. MrB is much bolder than I in some of his experiments, although I equal his boldness if it's only me to feed.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't done PIP per se in the airfryer, but have done lamb chops (oh, yeah..... :) ), plus some gourmet oven chips for Mr B (and I had a small Jenga of chips), at the same time.

Someone, somewhere suggested an airfryer should just be viewed like a little oven. Whatever you'd make in an oven can be made in the airfryer. Just reduce the heat a bit (because of the swift air circulation), and reduce the time a bit.

We've been trying more and more of late. MrB is much bolder than I in some of his experiments, although I equal his boldness if it's only me to feed.

Lots of room for experimentation here then. Good tip about seeing it as just a little oven, rather than a fryer.

Reactions: Chook

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope all goes well with your mum and her HbA1c results. I sometimes feel relieved that I didn’t know a lot about diabetes a few years ago when I was caring for my dad. I knew he probably shouldn’t be eating sugar, and he did suffer from horrible hypos ( he was insulin dependant t2) but he died from pancreatic cancer in the end so I’m glad I didn’t nag him about what he should or shouldn’t be eating. I think that once one reaches one’s late 80s ( as my dad also did) then a little leeway is allowed, so long as it’s not obviously affecting lifestyle. He did insist on cream in his coffee however - just because that’s how he liked it, I was forever trying to get him to switch to semi skimmed milk!!!
Agree it’s complex I try to balance what I say - as aware that food is one of the few pleasures. I do her online shopping and do buy the bread etc if it’s on her shopping list - it’s her decision not mine.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Snitty and a pot at the bowls club, the chef was using up the box from Wednesday.
Dinner: Takeaway roast meals from the same place, no one wanted to cook yesterday.
Breakfast: Usual mushroom and cheese omelette, bacon, tomatoes.

Drinks. Black coffee no sugar / sweeteners, beer, water.

Mmmmm! All low carb goodness...
Dwe01us.gif

charlie000

From Monday I'll be joining my Muslim friend and fasting for a whole month. I'll post up my meals daily, it's going to be a challenge, but if he can do it then so can I, and it'll help reduce my weight! I'll be posting my daily meal which will be around 20:30 in the evening!