What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Lunch: fry up of bacon, egg, mushrooms and two orange rapture tomatoes followed by Greek yoghurt, raspberries and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and a black coffee
Dinner: Chinese takeaway of crispy duck, 2 small pancakes, a smudge of sauce, spring onions and cucumber followed by SF jelly cream and LC chocolate granola.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I forgot, eating carbs and taking Metformin really messes with my bowel. Haven't done that for a while but to keep control of my BG on going out, I ate 3 digestive biscuits yesterday late afternoon to push my BG up a bit and keep it at a reasonable level all evening. It worked but I paid for it today.

Anyway, I had my brunch at 2 pm. It was pork fillet pan fried in butter on shredded iceberg lettuce. One piece of fillet was rather too much (I had to buy it in the supermarket because my butcher didn't have any) and there were 2 fillets in the pack. So I decided to put the second one in the freezer. However, by 6.30 this evening, I started picking at it and finished it off! Now I'm regretting it again - feeling very full.

Reactions: maglil55
D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Barbequed chicken breasts, salad.
Dinner: Ground black peppered steak, veggies, brown onion gravy.
Breakfast: Usual cheese and mushroom mushroom omelette, bacon, tomatoes.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugary, water.

Got on my partners scales she left out yesterday, still around the 97 kgs mark happy with that, goes well with my three month bgl average of 5.6.

Edit: To many mushrooms...

Last edited by a moderator:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
09-11-19
Breakfast. Coffee with cream.
Made a batch of nut granola and had a portion later. More coffee then tea.
Lunch. Avocado, tomato and sheep's cheese salad. Small satsuma after. Tea.
Dinner chicken casserole potato and sprouts. Glass of wine. Tea, more wine Bedtime tea.

edited to change date

Last edited:

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
10/11/19
Breakfast:25g almond meal, 6 g coconut flour, 15g flaxseed meal, 30g protein powder made into porridge. This morning with full fat greek yogurt 130g. I usually use fat free greek yoghurt as the almond meal and flaxseed meal have enough fat in them. But it's a Sunday treat. Also used a microwave, which made exceptionally good porridge.
Lunch: 100g ham, 217g iceberg lettuce, 25g tasty cheese, mustard, white pepper, garlic powder
Snack: 50g dill pickle
Dinner: 170g green beans, 270g cauliflower, 250g extra lean beef burgers

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I should have said that the pork fillet I had yesterday were not full sized fillets - the pieces were about 5-6 inches long. That's what I had 2 of during the day - I don't think I could have managed 2 full sized fillets - not even when my appetite was bigger than it is now.

Last night and today, BG is a bit up, but not too bad but I was hungry so decided to have 2 meals today. The first was about 1 pm - the second bacon chop out of the disappointing pack and a couple of eggs fried in the bacon fat. Despite all that I am still feeling peckish, but will resist the temptation to snack on anything. Tea will have to do.

Later I'll have a couple of sausages and fried cabbage.

I weighed myself about a week ago and found I had dropped some weight to 15 stone 8 lb - very happy about that. Then weighed myself on Friday to find I had gained a couple of pounds. Not happy about that. Just tried again (rather too soon, but couldn't resist) and one of those pounds has gone again. I don't know how this weight loss thing works because I've never really managed it before (at least not since I was 19, in the tropics and fit to do exercise). I suppose a bit of see-sawing may not be uncommon and will have to be patient and hope the downward trend keeps going.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Off to mums this weekend so will hopefully do catch up when back on Tuesday.
Breakfast one slice of bacon, egg and half a toasted chaffle
Lunch cheese, walnuts and celery
Mid afternoon one of lemon drizzle cupcakes from the batch made yesterday
Dinner salmon and lemon butter and green beans with glass dry white wine - some 100% choc planned later with decaff coffee
Found out today that aunts funeral not happening till four weeks today! Almost five weeks after her death - seems like a long time! As it’s only a week before we would have been up to pick up mum for Christmas I’ll be hoping to persuade mum when see her this weekend that she could save us yet another long drive and come back with us after the funeral! Let’s see..... her area in South York’s has been very very wet last day or so so hoping flood waters from river Don will have gone down when go up this weekend!

I see that the river around Doncaster has been in flood. I hope that hasn't affected your Mum's home to much and that you managed to get through to her with all the bad weather and flooding in Derbyshire and Yorkshire. I hope you are all safe and well.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Yesterday was usual slice LivLife toast, butter, tea. Lunch was bowl of soup and supper was at the curry house with friends where I had Tandoori King Prawns 4 of and not very big with cauli bhajee and salad. Really nice evening.
Today fbg good after the Indian meal so same breakfast and for lunch had 1 slice bacon, 1 sausage and 1 fried egg. Have made pan of brocolli and leek soup to use up veg and assembled individual fish pies with cream and tarragon for this evening. Mashed cauli for mine, usually use celeriac so first outing for mashed cauli.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
1 meal today for Martinmas with MIL and my uncle. Goose, roast sprouts, asparagus, cauliflower cheese, gravy - also tried 1/6 of a roast king Edward (all the crispy bits cooked in the goose fat) and a min parsnip. Tried 1 desert spoon of the melting chocolate cottage the others had - would have loved that - and about 2/3 glass of wine. Will have almond milk LC cocoa soon but I am claiming that as an OMAD. The elders really enjoyed the meal, I delivered the Operation Christmas Child box and attended remembrance parade so all good.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Long walk in the sun this morning ahead of a mega meat shop.

OMAD - just eaten the most delicious air fried lamb ribs: juicy, fatty and wonderfully crisp ‘crackling’. Ribs had been marinated in olive oil, garlic and thyme.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
1 meal today for Martinmas with MIL and my uncle. Goose, roast sprouts, asparagus, cauliflower cheese, gravy - also tried 1/6 of a roast king Edward (all the crispy bits cooked in the goose fat) and a min parsnip. Tried 1 desert spoon of the melting chocolate cottage the others had - would have loved that - and about 2/3 glass of wine. Will have almond milk LC cocoa soon but I am claiming that as an OMAD. The elders really enjoyed the meal, I delivered the Operation Christmas Child box and attended remembrance parade so all good.
Sounds like a perfect day Ian. Love roast goose though never cooked it here as OH not keen. Nice to spend Remembrance Sunday with the older generation.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There was a bit of a discussion about lasagne substitutes recently. Can’t remember who - perhaps @DJC3 ? Was reminded of it when I saw this on Facebook earlier. Haven’t tried it, but sounds like it has potential.

2C1B09A1-73E4-4CBF-B08E-066BAE966785.jpeg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: roast chicken, one small roast potato, mixed veg and gravy made from meat juices thickened with flax, followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: bday cake phd bar and black coffee.
Tea at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by one Jaffa cake ;)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There was a bit of a discussion about lasagne substitutes recently. Can’t remember who - perhaps @DJC3 ? Was reminded of it when I saw this on Facebook earlier. Haven’t tried it, but sounds like it has potential.

View attachment 36668

This does look like it has potential! I like the fact that it’s poured onto a baking sheet, rather than the faff of rolling between 2 greaseproof sheets which I do when making the DD recipe.
Thanks.

Reactions: Goonergal

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Meant to be OMAD but had a bit of Yarg and some pine nuts early afternoon with a couple of glasses of Cremant de Loire. Lunch was slow roast belly pork, cauliflower cheese, cabbage and roast broccoli stem. 2 glasses red. Nibbled on the crackling ( which was really good) later in the day.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@Goonergal -- these ribs really sound delicious.
@Annb -- It sounds as if you've gained a very good grip on blood sugar levels lately. In addition, you're also losing weight steadily (daily fluctuations should be expected, nothing to worry about). Brilliant progress.
@DJC3 -- Yes, the ox cheeks could definitely have benefitted from some more time with the sous vide stick. However 80 degrees is getting pretty close to boiling and the water was evaporating quite quickly, so didn't want to leave it going overnight. The additional 30 minutes in a regular pot at 100 degrees did the trick though. Good luck with the lasagne recipe @Goonergal posted, let us know how it works out.
@maglil55 -- Thanks for the thumbs up with the pasta mix from Dr. Almond. Tried it today and the noodles were really great, once I got them made -- took quite some time though. Possibly the dough was too dry, will try just adding a little bit more water next time.
@ianpspurs -- your Martinmas meal with family sounds absolutely wonderful. Your wife must be a fantastic cook.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today's food...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Nothing.

Dinner: About 200g of the Dr. Almond noodles shaped into linguini (total of about 4g of carbs) with ricotta-walnut pesto. A smallish piece of skirt steak (about 70g and absolutely the best cut of beef imo). Lamb's lettuce with a balsamico-olive oil-lime dressing and feta cheese. About 8g of 85% chocolate. Two glasses of wine and two large glasses of homemade bitter lemon concentrate with sparkling water.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@Goonergal -- these ribs really sound delicious.
@Annb -- It sounds as if you've gained a very good grip on blood sugar levels lately. In addition, you're also losing weight steadily (daily fluctuations should be expected, nothing to worry about). Brilliant progress.
@DJC3 -- Yes, the ox cheeks could definitely have benefitted from some more time with the sous vide stick. However 80 degrees is getting pretty close to boiling and the water was evaporating quite quickly, so didn't want to leave it going overnight. The additional 30 minutes in a regular pot at 100 degrees did the trick though. Good luck with the lasagne recipe @Goonergal posted, let us know how it works out.
@maglil55 -- Thanks for the thumbs up with the pasta mix from Dr. Almond. Tried it today and the noodles were really great, once I got them made -- took quite some time though. Possibly the dough was too dry, will try just adding a little bit more water next time.
@ianpspurs -- your Martinmas meal with family sounds absolutely wonderful. Your wife must be a fantastic cook.

Ziggy - I don't know what sort of container you use for your sous vide, but I have a plastic box with a lid. The lid has a hole in it for the stick to go through. I then just drape a tea towel lightly (a bit like a scarf) around the remaining gap in the lid, meaning the lid limits evapouration, and keeps the heat in. The same can be achieved by ping pong style balls floating on the surface.

Our box was a mucho cheapo from a budget hardware store and the gap achieved with a hacksaw in a few minutes, thinking if it worked, I could do something "better" later. I don't need anything better. I would say, if you go down that route, be careful not to choose a hard lid (as opposed to something with a little flex in it) as the hacksaw action could crack it where you don't want it cracked.

It looks a but like this, but cost, in total about £3: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Geesta-Cry...t=&hvlocphy=1006529&hvtargid=pla-789740491864

When not in use, the wand live in the box, lying diagonally. It works for us, for longer "cooks".