What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Scrambled 2 eggs with some double cream for breakfast. Quite filling. Tea, of course, but a bit down on that this morning. Must try harder.
Dinner will be a gammon steak with some mushrooms, tomatoes and onions. Saw a pack of 2 in our village shop this morning and decided one of those would do very well for tonight.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Goonergal - hope you get clear of the virus soon. @shelley262- glad to hear your bridge is open again and hopefully life will get easier again. I cannot understand this panic buying. It does seem silly some of the things they are buying up. I'll find out tomorrow if the same silliness is happening here. @DJC3 - Potato? Seriously? The kids really enjoy the dressing up. It does tend to be a quite surreal day sometimes.
Thursday - bed 5.2 FBG 5.7. Not a lot of food today as I ended up running about a lot!
B. TAG and a 1/4 of the remaining frittata from yesterday.
L. Off to Aqua then straight to physio trying to bypass the many roadworks. It's becoming nigh on impossible to get about with them all trying to spend their budget before the year end. Quick dash back, another 1/4 of frittata then out again to the 1st school pick up. After getting both boys gave them dinner then off again to get eldest to his appointment, amuse No 2 for 1 hr before getting them all home, pick up Hubby before he decided he wanted something from a chip shop!
I ended up warming 1/2 a smoked sausage in the microwave and I made the drastic mistake of eating 6 of Hubby's chips. I didn't even enjoy them and it sent my BGs up to 10. At least by bed time it came down to 7.2.
Today - back to normal. Bed 7.2 FBG 5.5 so no lasting effect.
B. TAG
L. After feeding the boys I had the last of the frittata. Off to swimming with the boys for a couple of hours.
D. Had to change it about a bit. I ended up with that wild red shrimp from Iceland. The one with chilli and tomato. I added spinach, mushroom and 4 chopped santini tomatoes and cauliflower rice. Had some of the Skyr later. Oddly I was 6 before dinner and it dropped all the way to 4.9 over the next few hours. @Annb - as you said there is no logic to it.
Time for bed I reckon.

@maglil55 you always seem to be so busy. Your schedule would have me flat on my back. Don't know how you do it all. I still often have a yen for chips and I still believe I would enjoy them. Proper ones, of course, home made or real, old fashioned chip shop ones. Latterly when I had chips, I was always disappointed in them. They just don't make 'em like that any more.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 you always seem to be so busy. Your schedule would have me flat on my back. Don't know how you do it all. I still often have a yen for chips and I still believe I would enjoy them. Proper ones, of course, home made or real, old fashioned chip shop ones. Latterly when I had chips, I was always disappointed in them. They just don't make 'em like that any more.
It was the fact they were freshly cooked and the aroma was what I recalled. However, the taste was disappointing. I always thought the best chips were cooked in a fresh pan of beef dripping and new potatoes!

Reactions: DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It was the fact they were freshly cooked and the aroma was what I recalled. However, the taste was disappointing. I always thought the best chips were cooked in a fresh pan of beef dripping and new potatoes!
Absolutely!

Way back when - just after the 2nd World War (must have been about 1947) - my aunt used to take my brother and myself to a chip shop near our grandparents' house. She would buy fish and chips for the family, a bag of chips between my brother and myself and a bag of "scraps" for us to share on the way home. Fantastic! It's that memory that makes me want chips.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@DJC3 -- reminds me of the time (about 40 years ago) when the cat stole a cutlet out of the frying pan, my grandmother then chasing the cat through the flat and after 5 minutes returning with the half eaten cutlet, washing it and putting it back in the pan. Surprisingly, no one in the family really wanted the half-eaten cutlet for dinner (and the cat ended up with it after all).

That’s given me a good laugh - I can imagine all the dismayed faces round the dinner table looking at the chewed cutlet.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Black coffee and water until lunch.
Had a go at Parkrun at a NT place nearby, very hilly ( 22 floors climbed according to my phone) so arrived home ravenous. Had DD breakfast sandwich which is quick easy and filling. A couple of hours later, hungry again had 2 handfuls hazelnuts.
Dinner https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-pork-green-pepper-stir-fry couple of glasses of red.
@Goonergal hope you’re feeling a bit better today, thanks for the dog saliva comment! I might just put it in Mr C’s sandwiches next week though lol.

Reactions: maglil55
D

Deleted member 308541

Breakfast: Usual three egg, mushroom and cheese omelette, bacon, tomatoes, spudlite.
Lunch: Seafood platter at Grunske's, couple of low carb beers.
Dinner: Steak and salad.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugars, beer, water.

I had another hba1c test last Wednesday 03.03.20, it came back as 5.4% or 35.5 mmol/mol. I have been off metformin for a year now.

It's slightly up on the previous one due to a family reunion for the solstice festivities, new years celebrations, my 75th birthday all happening around the same time. Airport and and airline food, various other celebrations starting with 50 years ago all contributed to the slight rise.

Still eating a moderate lchf food stuff with plenty of meat.

Speed bump has now disappeared and were almost straighlining...

APTP1iz.jpg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: left over cold garlic chicken followed by Greek yoghurt, strawberries and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Mid afternoon: mint choc Carb Killa bar with black coffee.
Dinner: mixed grill at Hungry Horse, ate all the meat and egg, had one small onion ring and a few peas, left the chips (which I hadn’t asked for!) and tomato followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola at home.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: Usual three egg, mushroom and cheese omelette, bacon, tomatoes, spudlite.
Lunch: Seafood platter at Grunske's, couple of low carb beers.
Dinner: Steak and salad.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugars, beer, water.

I had another hba1c test last Wednesday 03.03.20, it came back as 5.4% or 35.5 mmol/mol. I have been off metformin for a year now.

It's slightly up on the previous one due to a family reunion for the solstice festivities, new years celebrations, my 75th birthday all happening around the same time. Airport and and airline food, various other celebrations starting with 50 years ago all contributed to the slight rise.

Still eating a moderate lchf food stuff with plenty of meat.

Speed bump has now disappeared and were almost straighlining...

APTP1iz.jpg

Great result, especially considering all the festivities. Your food and lifestyle always sound good to me ( although I sometimes have to Google the food)

Reactions: ziggy_w

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Scrambled 2 eggs with some double cream for breakfast. Quite filling. Tea, of course, but a bit down on that this morning. Must try harder.
Dinner will be a gammon steak with some mushrooms, tomatoes and onions. Saw a pack of 2 in our village shop this morning and decided one of those would do very well for tonight.

Well - I had the gammon steak but didn't enjoy it at all. The veg I had with it tasted fine but the gammon itself was tasteless. Leaves me wondering what to do with the other one - I do hate to waste food, so don't really want to throw it away, but I'll have to do something very spicy and flavourfull with it to make me think it is anything but blotting paper! Could just hand it over for the dogs.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well - I had the gammon steak but didn't enjoy it at all. The veg I had with it tasted fine but the gammon itself was tasteless. Leaves me wondering what to do with the other one - I do hate to waste food, so don't really want to throw it away, but I'll have to do something very spicy and flavourfull with it to make me think it is anything but blotting paper! Could just hand it over for the dogs.

Add it to soup. It'll shred down to add additional protein, and may or may not season the soup a bit.

I must say, were I using in soup, I'd be adding a decent dollop of my home made vegetable stock paste to it. It is great for seasonin, where I am weak.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Chook

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thought this conversation on Twitter might bring some light relief. Unfortunately I can’t claim to have eaten any today, but there may be supplies in the freezer :D

A7DC67DF-FBE1-4EFD-91B1-B35C8AF9B116.jpeg

Reactions: maglil55

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Saturday's food as busy family day all day which was all very good. Hungry after no food for 40 ish hours so slightly different menu. Breakfast/brunch: 2 x 700 mls AM Tea - sweetener then 2 hrs later 45 gms Zywieki, 2 x 18 gms pork scratchings (mountain climbing principle - because it was there) and CWC + SF caramel syrup;; L : Tea ; Eve: Riump steak, mushrooms, halloumi fries, pea shoot salad, French mustard, cheeses. @Tipetoo amazing effort and perfectly justified results. Your menus always seem normal - chink of light in all this. Top, top bloke.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the idea @DCUK. I have to make some green (maybe gloopy) soup to use up a fair amount of unused greens in the fridge, so I'll add it to that for a bit of protein - it will be all shredded up anyway because I liquidise this particular soup. I have lots of stock of different kinds in the freezer, so some of that will go in as well. Doubt if there will be any flavour added by the gammon.

Breakfast was grilled cheese with some tomatoes and very thin slices of onion.

Dinner will be pork in a tomato sauce from the freezer (beginning to see spaces on the freezer shelves now) but many of the things I have in there do seem to be tomato rich. About 3 pots of oxtail in there, I notice, and a few more roast beef in gravy. Those will come in handy in due course. I also noticed that I have chicken in the fish drawer, a box of ham slices , and one of the pots of oxtail. Bad organisation - no wonder I can't find what I want, when I want it.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That’s given me a good laugh - I can imagine all the dismayed faces round the dinner table looking at the chewed cutlet.
Mine was a seagull stealing a chicken breast of the barbecue and me chasing it with a long fish slice. How I expected to make contact when it could fly I don't know.

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 5.9 FBG was also 5.9. @Annb - sometimes I even exhaust myself to be honest! To an extent it helps my legs
keeping them mobile but, the physio says sometimes I push it a bit too far which is counter productive. @Goonergal - hope you are improving. I have a niggling sore throat at the moment so I'm back on the First Defence and Vics vapour rub!
I ventured out to the supermarket yesterday and, apart from hand sanitiser, the shelves were fine. Toilet rolls were not stacked high but there was sufficient there.

B. TAG
L. Couple of slices of pork luncheon meat when I returned from the shop.
D. I developed a longing for a roast chicken yesterday so we had roast chicken with sage & onion, wilted spinach, mini cob and some oven roasted halloumi fries. I've discovered that Morrisons The Best halloumi cooks particularly well in the oven to make halloumi fries. Last of the Isey Skyr.