What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Accidentally posted before it was finished.
@PenguinMum Thank you for hug and complimentary words. You made me see the situation in a different light.
@DCUKMod good idea he will have to do some shopping once he has found somewhere to live.
@Goonergal good idea .make tuna melts.
Is there any hospital accommodation nearby, or Uni halls of residence?

I don't know what's allowed right now, but many Unis let room during holidays and weekends. The rooms are usually en-suite with kitchens for every few rooms, internet well plumbed in, for obvious reasons, and modestly costed.

Roughly, where is he in UK?

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.autism.org.uk/get-invol...autismguidance]&dm_i=YA3,6UAMY,OKGCVO,RFAUT,1

Eventually managed to convince adult autistic son after six weeks using articles like this above that he would be safe to come out into open air - and had a successful trip to forest with him, could see him benefit and blossom a bit from the experience, just hoping I can get him to venture out at least once a week. We met lots of wildlife, saw wonderful views and thankfully didn’t meet another soul.just what was needed for us all.

Breakfast one slice of bacon and one fried double yoked egg
Dinner Cajun chicken, avocado salad, mint raita and celeriac chips with large glass of dry white wine pudding lc lemon syllabub just had decaff coffee with my very last 100% peanut butter mini egg. They will be Missed! Still I have a stash of montezumas 100% with almonds so won’t be short for my end of the day chocolate fix!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
21-04-2020
Colourful food day.
Breakfast CWC. Fried halloumi, mushrooms and few cherry toms. CWC.
Lunch Garden Salad. Melange of radish. Red cabbage coleslaw. Pâtè and toast. Two slices!
Snack ate the carrot intended to be for dinner while I was cooking and a few pieces of cheese.
Dinner. Stuffed courgette. Took a while to cook as I had to invent both method and recipe. Frozen French beans and fresh broccoli. Glass of wine.
Although MrSlim has bought an amazing quantity of wine there are three cases, all different versions of the same semi-sweet wine I decided was not good for me. Will have to try and hold back.
Was going to insert pics of food here, but I can only manage that on the ap. Which is temporarily down.

@DCUKMod He is in Somerset. And accommodation sorted. Previous post was written this morning. Has got a small flat with everything he needs. Except sheets and towels. In the rush we forgot those. He has been to Lidl but sadly no airfryers left.
MrSlim is amazed how busy everywhere is in UK. Traffic, shops, people out and about.
He starts work tomorrow.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@shelley262 so glad to read you got out with your son. Perhaps next time it will be easier to persuade him to go out. The forest sounds lovely.
The only bit of wildlife I have encountered here, this week, apart from birds was an enormous rat. The encounter could have been particularly difficult for me as I have a rat phobia. This was triggered by an upsetting incident when I was a child and occasionally resurfaces. However all was well this time even though it appeared only a few feet from my face.( I was bent over looking at some wildflowers) it moved so fast all I saw was it's back end and the horrible naked tail disappearing into the hedge.
@annabell1 hugs for the sleepless night. Hope its better tonight. Inspired by you have been arranging food prettily all day. So disappointed I can't put the pics up.
Also dislike the idea of veg washed in bleach solution, however mild.
@Chook wonder if it was brocolli fed chook that inspired the book Green Eggs and Ham? By Dr Seuss. If that's how you spell it.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
21-04-2020
Colourful food day.
Breakfast CWC. Fried halloumi, mushrooms and few cherry toms. CWC.
Lunch Garden Salad. Melange of radish. Red cabbage coleslaw. Pâtè and toast. Two slices!
Snack ate the carrot intended to be for dinner while I was cooking and a few pieces of cheese.
Dinner. Stuffed courgette. Took a while to cook as I had to invent both method and recipe. Frozen French beans and fresh broccoli. Glass of wine.
Although MrSlim has bought an amazing quantity of wine there are three cases, all different versions of the same semi-sweet wine I decided was not good for me. Will have to try and hold back.
Was going to insert pics of food here, but I can only manage that on the ap. Which is temporarily down.

@DCUKMod He is in Somerset. And accommodation sorted. Previous post was written this morning. Has got a small flat with everything he needs. Except sheets and towels. In the rush we forgot those. He has been to Lidl but sadly no airfryers left.
MrSlim is amazed how busy everywhere is in UK. Traffic, shops, people out and about.
He starts work tomorrow.

Our Lidl has lots left.......

thumbnail

Maybe he could try another branch?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and salted caramel phd bar
Late Lunch: left over melts, one tuna, one bacon followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Dinner: courgetti bolognese with grated mature cheddar followed by SF jelly, cream and macadamia and coconut keto granola.

FC3195F8-FA61-4893-A1A6-4842C8B88DC6.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. BGs getting higher recently so trying really hard ( not entirely successfully) to stop snacking. Luckily HbA1c taken last week came back at a cheering 34. Very happy indeed with that

Black coffee until midday
Lunch LoDough wrap with egg mayo and salad. LC custard
Dinner https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-tex-mex-casserole @annabell1 no photo as it wasn’t very photogenic - just a dollop of mince and cheese, no artful arrangement would make it look pretty. ( tasted good though) sour cream and guacamole with it and SF jelly&cream afterwards.
@Chook your green egg yolks made me laugh, must have been such a shock when you first cracked one. Which brand of ground decaf coffee do you use? I did the same thing with my Nespresso. Gave it to my daughter in the end.
@PenguinMum I roast broccoli florettes and chunks of stalk in a hot oven for 10-15 mins. Toss in olive oil, s&p first. They are not fussy - chuck them in towards the end of whatever else you have in the oven, they are done when they are starting to get a bit charred. Good result with the soda stream extras - they must be really struggling with staff I reckon. I agree that the wiping everything down is very time consuming after shopping trips. I wonder if we’ll ever be used to just putting it away again.
@shelley262 Im so glad you managed to persuade your son out into the healing woodland today. I’m sure it’s made a world of difference to him ( and to you) I’ve really noticed the birds singing this spring. I don’t know if they are more vocal than other years or it’s just that I’m more aware, it’s wonderful either way.
@SlimLizzy hugs for the rat encounter. I don’t have a rat phobia but seeing one so close to my face would have freaked me out.

Reactions: maglil55

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All!

B: bovril and small lc hot choc
L: corned beef with branston
D: lamb ribs

very pleased with my gardening session today. The replacement compost arrived at 4pm.
Finished work at 5pm and by 6pm all compost distributed.
Think I need the same amount again. At least.
Very pleased though.
We have a v bare plain concrete passage down beside the kitchen. Several years ago I put in some ferns along it, which love the spot, and do well. But the hosta usually gets slugged.
Today, I added 5 more tubs with 3 ferns and ?2? more hostas. Will be v interested to see what happens. I bought the hostas in one of those bags, and could only find 1 hosta in it. Supposed to be 2 of them. Then I found half a dozen tiny scales with miniscule roots attached. No idea whether any of them will grow. Iron phosphate slug pellets are down!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. BGs getting higher recently so trying really hard ( not entirely successfully) to stop snacking. Luckily HbA1c taken last week came back at a cheering 34. Very happy indeed with that

Dinner https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-tex-mex-casserole @annabell1 no photo as it wasn’t very photogenic - just a dollop of mince and cheese, no artful arrangement would make it look pretty. ( tasted good though) sour cream and guacamole with it and SF jelly&cream afterwards.
@Chook your green egg yolks made me laugh, must have been such a shock when you first cracked one. Which brand of ground decaf coffee do you use? I did the same thing with my Nespresso. Gave it to my daughter in the end.
@PenguinMum I roast broccoli florettes and chunks of stalk in a hot oven for 10-15 mins. Toss in olive oil, s&p first. They are not fussy - chuck them in towards the end of whatever else you have in the oven, they are done when they are starting to get a bit charred. Good result with the soda stream extras - they must be really struggling with staff I reckon. I agree that the wiping everything down is very time consuming after shopping trips. I wonder if we’ll ever be used to just putting it away again.
@shelley262 Im so glad you managed to persuade your son out into the healing woodland today. I’m sure it’s made a world of difference to him ( and to you) I’ve really noticed the birds singing this spring. I don’t know if they are more vocal than other years or it’s just that I’m more aware, it’s wonderful either way.
@SlimLizzy hugs for the rat encounter. I don’t have a rat phobia but seeing one so close to my face would have freaked me out.
Have you tried Waitrose 1 decaff Peruvian or lavazza decaff both are my faves and just taste like the caff versions.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Btw big congrats on your hbaca1 you must be thrilled.

D

Deleted member 308541

Breakfast: Usual cheese and mushroom omelette, snags, tomatoes.
Lunch: Cheese and kimchi salad in a wrap.
Dinner: Corned beef hash, veggies.

Drinks: Black coffee, water.

No substitutions on my online order this week, managed to get a packet of recycled toilet paper for Black Mario out at the block.

kWInKET.jpg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried Waitrose 1 decaff Peruvian or lavazza decaff both are my faves and just taste like the caff versions.
Thank you for the decaf recommendations. I’ll try them ASAP ( have only tried Co op brand previously and didn’t think much of it.)
Also thanks for congrats re HbA1c yes I am chuffed to bits. I think it must have been the diet doctor keto challenge thing that I did recently which made the difference. Lipid panel all good too but vitamin D still low so I’d better start taking supplements.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek

haha well that's the main thing that it tasted good

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
@shelley262 so glad to read you got out with your son. Perhaps next time it will be easier to persuade him to go out. The forest sounds lovely.
The only bit of wildlife I have encountered here, this week, apart from birds was an enormous rat. The encounter could have been particularly difficult for me as I have a rat phobia. This was triggered by an upsetting incident when I was a child and occasionally resurfaces. However all was well this time even though it appeared only a few feet from my face.( I was bent over looking at some wildflowers) it moved so fast all I saw was it's back end and the horrible naked tail disappearing into the hedge.
@annabell1 hugs for the sleepless night. Hope its better tonight. Inspired by you have been arranging food prettily all day. So disappointed I can't put the pics up.
Also dislike the idea of veg washed in bleach solution, however mild.
@Chook wonder if it was brocolli fed chook that inspired the book Green Eggs and Ham? By Dr Seuss. If that's how you spell it.[/QUO
oh no! I wonder why you had issues? I did have issues trying to access the app last night so maybe that was why you couldn't upload photos. and yeah although i still had issues getting to sleep last night I finally dosed off about 2.30 so at least got a few hours in.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Our Lidl has lots left.......

thumbnail

Maybe he could try another branch?
In normal times, yes. However I am not going to pester him about it. First day on his new job today. Got enough going on, i think.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the decaf recommendations. I’ll try them ASAP ( have only tried Co op brand previously and didn’t think much of it.)
Also thanks for congrats re HbA1c yes I am chuffed to bits. I think it must have been the diet doctor keto challenge thing that I did recently which made the difference. Lipid panel all good too but vitamin D still low so I’d better start taking supplements.

Despite having had a couple of months in literally wall-to-wall sunshine, I've actually doubled my supplement for the time being, as Vit D levels are cited in the impacts of COVID.

I'll trim back to my usual when we're all better placed.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Despite having had a couple of months in literally wall-to-wall sunshine, I've actually doubled my supplement for the time being, as Vit D levels are cited in the impacts of COVID.

I'll trim back to my usual when we're all better placed.
How much do you take? I have some multivitamins which have 10ug D3 which is apparently 200% of NRV ( whatever that means) I’m taking vit K2 to aid absorption too.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No rain hurrah!
@maglil55 Zoom sessions are very good, better with a laptop than a smartphone if you have a few different groups I think. Having said that MrC and I came last in yesterday’s quiz. This is a first for Mr C who is very competitive and was horrified. He even got a Man.U question wrong ( maybe too much red wine before the quiz started had something to do with it)
Today a late breakfast/ brunch of Capresse omelette ( Mozzarella, cherry toms and basil)
Dinner was slow roast pork shoulder, my new favourite cut of meat - meltingly tender. Cauli cheese, buttered cabbage and roast celeriac. Another of the lc IP custards to follow, cold with grated 100% chocolate on top.
I intended to put a link in for these as they are so simple and delicious but can’t find the original recipe. I have a feeling it was Maglil55 who first drew my attention to it so it may possibly have been tweaked and ‘Maglil’d’ from the original ( I do hope you’re feeling ok now by the way, it really is dragging on isn’t it? )
I was the LC creme brulee which is pretty similar to the custards. I have a feeling it was @shelley262 that did the large custard but I may be wrong. I'm a wee bit behind again.
I'm feeling not too bad. Still a bit "off" but at least I solved the persistent niggling throat. I spray my reusable N95 face mask with Dettol. I've been leaving it too late when I have to go out and I've been inhaling Dettol! No bacteria now lives in my throat . I'm now sanitizing it when I come home rather than when I go out.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How much do you take? I have some multivitamins which have 10ug D3 which is apparently 200% of NRV ( whatever that means) I’m taking vit K2 to aid absorption too.

My loading dose, when diagnosed as deficient (21 from 100 in a few months - ooops) was 20,000ug twice a day for 10 weeks, then I was recommended 400ug a day. I do 4,000ug routinely, but double that for now.

Based on the 4000ug a day, my levels travel at around the 100 mark. Vitamin D council suggest 125 or 130 as about right, but 100-150 is the acceptable range in my world.

If you are going to take some, please ensure you have D3, plus K2 for optimal impacts. I have these, but there obviously are loads and loads, and loads out there: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074P4FMF1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When you get that self control could you send some of it to me.... please! :arghh:

About caffeine in coffee - I get a very bad tummy with caffeine in anything and it keeps me awake even if I just have a small amount. The only cola I can drink without repercussions is caffeine free diet Coke. I don't drink instant either - it just doesn't satisfy like ground does made in my ancient cafetiere. We've got a Tassimo but after the novelty worn off I went back to the cafetiere. The only decaff available locally for the Tassimo is absolutely disgusting.
I have Cafe Hag for the Tassimo. I don't mind it.