What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenguinMum .

I used to get horrendous high BG when I was putting my body under stress by working nights as a lone worker in a house full of five autistic men. No one thought my high BGs might be caused by stress and I was put on insulin but, even so, fought high BGs until four years later I was signed off as medically unfit with anxiety and depression. While off sick my BGs went down and I STILL didn't put 2 + 2 together. Stress can do some really horrible things to your body in ways you don't expect.
Thanks @Chook you did well to fight back when your circumstances changed. I agree stress is the root of many ills. The trouble is it just builds in layers sometimes without you knowing. Take care and thanks for sharing.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lovely pictures. I always enjoy your pictures.

Okay.... weird thing.... I'm veggie but your food pix ALWAYS make me feel jealous!!

Funny, hug, friendly all in one! No weird emoji unfortunately. Don’t know if there’s a Five Guys near you, but they do a veggie burger - with or without bun!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Scrambled eggs for a brunch today, plus 2 RyVita. And tea, of course.

Having done little to do with food for the last couple of days, I had to cook what was in the fridge. I was going to make chorizo but it felt too complicated (it wasn't, of course, just me) so I had all this pork to use. Braised the chunks of shoulder, making meat loaf with the mince (in the oven at the moment), roasted off some chicken thighs. Had to do something with 6 bananas which had gone over the top. Made a mash with lemon juice as a basis for other dishes later and put little pots in the freezer. The little that remained in the bowl, I mixed with double cream and put it into a pot in the fridge. Had about 1 tablespoon of it as a late dessert after brunch.

Not sure about a meal later - I'm pretty full right now. Maybe some of the meat loaf with a little salad - still being a bit careful about veggies after the cauliflower episode.

Made an appointment tomorrow for a blood test tomorrow morning. They obviously haven't heard anything from the consultant yet, so didn't know what tests to put down. Don't know what will happen about my request for "test everything - especially thyroid, liver, kidneys, iron, BG."

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was going to make chorizo but it felt too complicated (it wasn't, of course, just me)
How do you make chorizo? Sounds complicated to me but if you say it's not I might want to try :)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Black coffee all morning
Lunch was air fried chicken wings, marinaded in oo, garlic and a sprinkle of Nando’s peri peri salt. @Goonergal I had 6 I hope your chickens were bigger or I feel a bit of a pig! Extra thick cream with DGF salted caramel brownie afterwards.
Dinner: Rumo steak with lettuce. Made a blue cheese Saúde by melting some very old and grotty looking blue cheese in a small pan, then stirring in double cream. It was really good and went well with both the steak and lettuce.
@MrsA2 I hope the dentist’ bill was worth it and they fixed your problem.
@shelley262 Omad isn’t like you normally, is it deliberate or just the way your days have panned out? I know you managed It for quite a while when you were first diagnosed and had weight to lose, but I thought you were happy with 3 small meals a day now?
@SlimLizzy I do hope today has been better.
Hi @DJC3 omad is because I’ve drifted up by 1.5kgs and trying to pull it back BMI is still 21 though so not big concern. My six month review is overdue so I was trying to pull it back before my review - although no contact or date yet for review!

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
My FBG is finally coming down, fingers crossed.
When I started testing up to 8 times a day for a few days I could see it wasnt food, there were mo peaks just constantly high so down to stress
Todays food
Breakfast usual slice HiLo toast, butter, tea.
Lunch was egg mayo salad.
Supper will be chicken, red pepper and chorizo with tinned toms and cauli rice
@shelley262 I remember you talking about. Celeriac chips have cut some up and frozen individually on a tray in the freezer ready to bag in portions. Can you remind me whether to add oil or seasoning and cook them from frozen. TIA.
Looking forward to two fried eggs running down a pile of chips!
Hiya @PenguinMum i put a tray in oven to heat up. Mix some frozen celeriac chips with seasoning and extra virgin oil add to hot tray and cook till brown which is about 35 mins at 180 fan. Sometimes nearer 40 mins depending on how thick you cut your chips and how brown you like them!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Despite working and the boredom hunger! I managed to avoid eating through day sticking to OMAD.....
Coffee and cream through day
Omad two lamb chops, a few onions, stuffed mushrooms and glass of dry white. Strawberry mousse ( strawberries from garden mashed with lemon juice and beaten with cream) and just had two squares of 100% choc with decaff coffee.
Hoping to do OMAD again tomorrow but I do find it hard and it doesn’t do my bgs any favours in the daytime. I find my fbgs are lower with OMAD but daytime MUCH higher. Three small meals and especially a low carb breakfast suit my daytime bg much more. Once I get back to weight baseline I’ll go back to my regular 2/3 meal pattern- missing lunch has way less impact on my daytime bgs than missing breakfast and/or missing both meals. It could be partly down to stress though too as needing to avoid eating is stressful - I find eating,and sometimes cooking, relaxing def a complex situation. @Chook im with you on the stress impact on bgs......... as I said in reply to @DJC3 im doing OMAD for weight not bgs control and management. I’m just not keen on an upward drift! I promised myself almost three years ago when lost almost five stones that I’d not let it drift in future but I may be being a bit OTT about it!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's way too hot for cooking or eating warm food.
From left to right, rolled up ham with gorgonzola, pieces of Morbier cheese and some relatively good brie that didn't want to hold it's form.
Also aioli from Aldi, which I won't be buying again, very bland. But good to have tried :)

105941066_10221141383038530_5641780146894196109_o.jpg

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

not sure how, but the fridge needs lots of stuff cooking :D
So tonight we had bassa fillets, simmered in garlic-chilli butter, with a cheddar, cream and black pepper sauce.
Mr B added peas to his :hilarious:

B was Bovril and collagen
L was kefir and a handful of peanuts

my knee is responding to the wonderful Mrs Chiro’s exercises! I am instructed to only do them every 3 days, which is giving me 2 recovery days and a third day of improvement. The improvement is clear. Such a relief. :D:D:D And... to be honest, I didn’t expect as much improvement in a week. Delighted!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
No mid morning coffee as drove back to Mum’s for another week, need to sort out care for her this week to enable her to stay in the house, normally a one hour 40 min drive, but took 2 and a half hours! :wideyed:
Late Lunch: Babybels followed by Greek yoghurt, orange chia pudding and vanilla and raspberry LC granola.
Mid afternoon: black coffee with cookies and cream phd bar.
Dinner: Chicken chasseur and mixed veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
How do you make chorizo? Sounds complicated to me but if you say it's not I might want to try :)

CHORIZO

800 g pork eg. pork shoulder +
200 g Pork fat – no skin (or just 1 kg fatty pork)
7 g smoked paprika
2 cloves garlic
17 g salt
natural casings if you want to put the sausage into skins – usually don’t bother, keeps in a plastic tub(s) to be used in patties or flavouring.

Mince the meat and fat with a meat mincer. Freezing the fat for a little while before running it through the mincer helps keep it reasonably intact while mixing it together with the rest of the pork. You can use a food processor, but it does mean the mixture is a bit of a mish mash if you process it for too long.

Add the paprika to the meat, and mix the ingredients together. You want the spice and the fat to be evenly dispersed throughout the meat, but don't want it to get mashed together into a paste, so don’t process it enough to do that.

Cover the mixture with plastic wrap, and leave in the fridge overnight for the flavors to come together.

Can be used from next day onwards. Makes very nice patties for breakfast with fried egg.

This is as far as I take it – I don’t get on very well with putting it into casings, so I just freeze what I don’t need immediately in little plastic packages.

The meatloaf is done but I think I'll just put it in the frdsge - still not hungry.

MEATLOAF.JPG

Edited to fix typos

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya @PenguinMum i put a tray in oven to heat up. Mix some frozen celeriac chips with seasoning and extra virgin oil add to hot tray and cook till brown which is about 35 mins at 180 fan. Sometimes nearer 40 mins depending on how thick you cut your chips and how brown you like them!
Fabulous, thank you so much!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get it from here https://www.tradewindsorientalshop.co.uk

Except I go to the actual shop - its about 25 mins by car in Scunthorpe and fits in well with visits to other places we regularly go. Its a gorgeous little shop crammed full of wonderful things that (mostly) I've never heard of before.

Brilliant. That will be my online shopping fix for today sorted. Thank you

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
High fbg this morning and hasn’t dropped below 6 all day so I thought I’d skip dinner and see if that makes a difference.
B: DD breakfast sandwich.
L: Airfried Chicken wings marinated in lemon and garlic and olive oil. Handful of Callebaut 100% chocolate buttons melted with cream.
@shelley262 I’m so impressed with your determination. I think it’s a very common theme for many to have put on a few pounds during lockdown. Good luck with the review when it happens.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - usual full fat greek yoghurt with berries and full cream.

Dinner -Mussels with garlic butter followed by chicken with garlic mushrooms, broccoli and carrots.

Just water throughout the day.

Nothing else - I have been good today

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What do you reckon? Does eating 80 grams of store bought garlic marinated shrimp in oil at almost 1am count as ridiculous, as ridiculously decadent, or as a perfectly good late dessert? :D

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What do you reckon? Does eating 80 grams of store bought garlic marinated shrimp in oil at almost 1am count as ridiculous, as ridiculously decadent, or as a perfectly good late dessert? :D
Definitely better than a true dessert so I'd go with ridiculously decadent :)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not a good day today.
Started well with no breakfast but then headed out to visit a garden. Was very hot so when hubby had an icecream I had 3 mouthfuls of his. Thought I was being good to just have 3.
Home late lunch of 2 hard boiled eggs but then son came home late and hungry so opened some oriental snack things we'd bought back from Vietnam. No nutritional info on them at all. Very tasty chilli but sweet too.
Then decided to have bbq so steak and salad but added a raspberry vinegar dressing. And had 3 Aperol spritzes and picked at strawberries and raspberries after (straight from the plant, lovely). I know I'm ok on white wine so thought these would be OK but somehow before dinner was 7.4 and after 10.8. Not sure which was the worst culprit..too many to chose from. Very disappointed with myself. Was thinking I had this all cracked but failed at first temptations :grumpy:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Or all of the above?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
High fbg this morning and hasn’t dropped below 6 all day so I thought I’d skip dinner and see if that makes a difference.
B: DD breakfast sandwich.
L: Airfried Chicken wings marinated in lemon and garlic and olive oil. Handful of Callebaut 100% chocolate buttons melted with cream.
@shelley262 I’m so impressed with your determination. I think it’s a very common theme for many to have put on a few pounds during lockdown. Good luck with the review when it happens.

How did you get on with skipping dinner? Could you sleep? When I've fasted in the past I've found that skipping dinner was the hardest. I hope your FBG behaved itself this morning.