What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I think my sleep difficulties resolved themselves last night - I slept like a log (despite the heat) and without moving because the bed didn't look as though it had been slept in this morning. Fingers crossed for another night like that tonight. I feel so much better!!I

The only thing that isn't better is my FBG - bed on 4.8 last night, FBG of 9.1 this morning so, as usual, I'll be spending all day trying to wrestle it under control.

Food today

Breakfast: Omelette with carb free syrup (banana)
Lunch: Actimel drink
Dinner: same as yesterday, grilled halloumi, veggie sausages, grilled tomatoes and fried eggs - these pre-sliced halloumi burgers are lovely, not at all salty but a bit of a fiddle to tease them apart.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good Lord I’d no idea you could still buy Old Jamaica chocolate!
In the cooler weather I make my husband keep those sort of things in the car, but they’d probably melt in the summer. I need to allocate him a special cupboard too. I agree @ziggy_w you did brilliantly stopping at 35g
Wish that hadn't been mentioned and I hadn't mentioned to Hubby. He now want's me to search for Old Jamaica Rum & Raisin!

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How did you get on with skipping dinner? Could you sleep? When I've fasted in the past I've found that skipping dinner was the hardest. I hope your FBG behaved itself this morning.

I think you’re right, skipping dinner is the hardest meal. I’d had quite a big lunch though and wasn’t that hungry as it had been so hot. BGs still been quite high today though. Bah!

Reactions: maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all exciting day today - booked a few days break in Wales for end of welsh restrictions in a few weeks - we had been due to go in March to meet up with OHs brother and partner but lockdown meant it was all cancelled. We’ve booked a self catering cottage for a few nights and I am so excited already about it! We plan to celebrate our mid July 45th wedding anniversary and enjoy a family get together. Crossing fingers and toes!
Stuck to OMAD again - weight edging down again so it’s working on the weight. Bgs a bit higher though today.
Ate pork chop, a few onions, stuffed mushrooms and celeriac chips with glass of dry white wine followed by lc strawberry mousse and cream.
Hoping to do another OMAD tomorrow although once BMI has dipped back into 20, rather at 21, will go back to my normal pattern of 2 or 3 small meals as it suits my bgs much more - I’m almost there now I was 21.2 this morning! I’m trying to maintain my BMI at 20 on a long term basis and had been at 19/20 for heading for three years.....

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. BGs still not playing ball, but looks like I’m not alone - hugs for your fbg @Chook but glad you had a good nights sleep - does make you feel so much better doesn’t it?
Had coffee all morning then lunch and dinner were almost identical meals of gammon cooked last night in the IP with salad. Leaves, avocado, couple of cherry toms h/b egg with this evenings and h/m duck egg mayo. Followed evening meal with one of new batch of DGF cakes. I bought some mixed boxes, a good idea I thought. Tonight I had a choc fudge brownie and cream. 1 glass white wine.
@shelley262 well done for getting results with your OMAD recently, the anniversary holiday in Wales later this year will be wonderful and well deserved. We’re meant to be going to the Lakes next month but a couple of the family members aren’t comfortable with travelling yet so I’m not sure what we’ll be doing.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
2DD394D5-8E09-491B-A548-D81E7FB40211.jpeg
Back at Mum’s, but much better prepared food wise this time :)
Breakfast: strawberries, cream and LC vanilla and raspberry granola with black coffee.
Elevensies: Bday cake phd bar with black coffee.
Lunch: ham and cherry tomatoes followed by Greek yoghurt, lemon chia pudding with LC vanilla and raspberry granola.
Dinner: lamb chops baked in the oven with garlic, rosemary and cherry tomatoes with mixed veg followed by DGF lemon and blueberry cake with cream.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Think I missed yesterday.

@DJC3 you’re definitely not alone on the BG front
@shelley262 I’ve booked a trip too - for early July to Brum. Can’t wait!

Yesterday had bacon and eggs for breakfast and carnivore pizza for dinner and some Lindt 90% with cream.

Today no breakfast but ended up going to our sub-office - first day working away from home since 3rd March (just me and my boss at the office so very socially distanced) - and bought a snack on the way of serious pig snacking cheese, then ordered Nando’s for lunch - 10 plain wings and then ‘dinner’ was Hotel Chocolat dark chocolate Brazil nuts as I walked 9 miles home! About to shower as it was very hot and sticky, but a nice enough walk mainly along the Waterlink Way.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Few of my meals plus been busy getting a temporary crown on my tooth then have to go back in 3 weeks time to get a zirconia crown no wonder they are expensive.. also trying to stay warm last few days been very chilly although nice sunny days. Melbourne seems to be having a spat of covid-19 infections recently and Sadly people in Australia are starting to panic buy again every where in Australia I just popped into my local shops I'm in NSW to buy some spinach and basil and notice toilet paper is sold out luckily I don't need any but crikey people are silly and heared on radio that supermarkets are now putting restrictions back on "essentials" luckily I don't buy flour pasta bread etc.

Wed brunch coconut banana smoothie
Wed dinner made Cauliflower fritters - streamed cauliflower chopped parsley, coriander and mint, herbs and spices eggs combined and pan fried with cut up vegetable salads.

Thurs Brunch Fried eggs in homemade ghee with some Lebanese bread 2 black coffees

Left over Cauliflower fritters - streamed cauliflower chopped parsley, coriander and mint, herbs and spices eggs combined and pan fried with cut up vegetable salads.

Fri. Brunch Fried eggs in homemade ghee with some Lebanese bread 2 black coffees

Dinner Was Planning to make some ricotta gnocchi not fully low carb as has flour in it but I don't use that much and had frozen some ricotta and feel like something warming tonight but the ricotta is still frozen and its 5.30pm I was going to serve with tomato basil chilli sauce but looks like I'm making something else for dinner tonight its 5.30pm so will see if I have something I could defrost like soup after posting.

20200626_162329.jpg
IMG_20200624_174840_083.jpg

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
Hi all exciting day today - booked a few days break in Wales for end of welsh restrictions in a few weeks - we had been due to go in March to meet up with OHs brother and partner but lockdown meant it was all cancelled. We’ve booked a self catering cottage for a few nights and I am so excited already about it! We plan to celebrate our mid July 45th wedding anniversary and enjoy a family get together. Crossing fingers and toes!
Stuck to OMAD again - weight edging down again so it’s working on the weight. Bgs a bit higher though today.
Ate pork chop, a few onions, stuffed mushrooms and celeriac chips with glass of dry white wine followed by lc strawberry mousse and cream.
Hoping to do another OMAD tomorrow although once BMI has dipped back into 20, rather at 21, will go back to my normal pattern of 2 or 3 small meals as it suits my bgs much more - I’m almost there now I was 21.2 this morning! I’m trying to maintain my BMI at 20 on a long term basis and had been at 19/20 for heading for three years.....
@shelly262 your holiday sounds like a awesome why to celebrate your wedding anniversary in July.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
Not a good day today.
Started well with no breakfast but then headed out to visit a garden. Was very hot so when hubby had an icecream I had 3 mouthfuls of his. Thought I was being good to just have 3.
Home late lunch of 2 hard boiled eggs but then son came home late and hungry so opened some oriental snack things we'd bought back from Vietnam. No nutritional info on them at all. Very tasty chilli but sweet too.
Then decided to have bbq so steak and salad but added a raspberry vinegar dressing. And had 3 Aperol spritzes and picked at strawberries and raspberries after (straight from the plant, lovely). I know I'm ok on white wine so thought these would be OK but somehow before dinner was 7.4 and after 10.8. Not sure which was the worst culprit..too many to chose from. Very disappointed with myself. Was thinking I had this all cracked but failed at first temptations :grumpy:
Hey @MrsA2 We all fall somedays but you just pick yourself back up and start again. I have been doing same especially since ISO but I try and dust of my disappointment and look at another day.

Reactions: Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Strange day here - hot, overcast and very still - the dogs are reacting to it by pretending to be large panting furry rugs. The BBC weather app gives for thunderstorms this afternoon - can't wait - I love a good thunderstorm. The dogs don't mind loud bangs, they all run to the treats cupboard. In their lives loud bangs = lots of treats.

Back to not sleeping so well last night. :shifty:. No idea what i did differently.

Food...

Breakfast: scrambled eggs and kimchi on the side
Lunch: Mr C says he will make me a chaffle pizza with a topping of soft goats cheese and pesto
Dinner: falafels, salads, Greek salad, aubergine and red pesto rollups, tangy cucumber salad, houmous, low carb wrap (if the low carb wraps arrive with the rest of my Asda order this aft if not it will be romaine leaves used as wraps)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG yesterday 5.2 - for me that's very good. 3 cups of tea and a dose of loperamide with my other pills before heading to town and my blood test. The nurse was one I hadn't seen before so I had to warn her that my veins don't like co-operating and expected a long session to get any blood into a phial. But she was remarkably good and efficient and it was done in 10 minutes. I asked about getting results since doctors are not consulting at present. But she didn't know how I would get results - it's up to the doctor. I'll have to try to get a telephone consultation towards the end of next week, to give the results time to come back - it takes about a week here.

Picked up my order from the butcher on the way home.

Home by 11.30. Checked my BG - it was 15.1! So took some insulin and had some cold chicken - wasn't really hungry, so I didn't have much. 2nd lot of pills and tea. Then the post arrived with a box of medjool dates I'd ordered for baking, when I get back to it. Couldn't resist so I had one, gave one to No 2 son - Neil can't eat dates. They were delicious. Later, had another one and then hid them away out of sight in the larder. BG at 3.30 was 9.2, so that was better than expected after 2 dates.

Had a slice of meat loaf, reheated in a pan with some butter about 4 pm. Tea, of course, for the rest of the day. Actually not at all hungry, but about 10 pm I felt in the need of something so made a milk shake with the last of the berries (which I had made into a sauce a couple of days ago, to stop them going off). I enjoyed it, although it probably wasn't a good idea. FBG today 10.2 - probably because of the milk shake.

Only tea so far today. Still not very hungry so I don't know what or when I will eat.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
@shelley262 well done on the weight loss my BMI has been stuck on 26 for the last three years but I got to a dress size 12 after being a 16 on dx so I am happy with that for an old bird! Your Welsh trip sounds just the ticket. I am longing to go to Cornwall but am still not ready to do it.
@annabell1 your cauli fritters look amazing, will defo give them a go soon.
Today’s food as follows
Breakfast: usual slice HiLo toast, tea.
Lunch: egg mayo salad, using lettuce and radishes from the garden.
Supper will be pan fried halibut steaks and broccoli.
A couple of gin & sodas outside beforehand outside hopefully. My current bottle is Whitleys Blood Orange which is clear in colour but really nice.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
About 12.30 I had 2 thin slices of meat loaf, fried in butter with 2 fried eggs on top.

I've been making a kind of gumbo, but shan't be having it this evening. I have some fresh cod with which to make jumbo fingers and that will be tonight's meal. No veg - still not comfortable with veg after the last few days.

The gumbo, of course, is full of veg. (Kind of gumbo, because as usual, I started out with a fair idea of how I would make it, and then diverted onto another idea. I didn't have the herbs it needed, so I used spinach; the roux was made with waterchestnut flour; no seafood or sausage, but chunks of pork and ready cooked chicken. the other veg are right though - garlic, onion, celery and peppers. I've added a lemon to the stew because I put a little too much cayenne pepper in.) The fish fingers will be plain enough not to cause any digestive problems - parmesan coating should be OK.

I found a few more bits and pieces for No 2 son to take home with him, to clear some small spaces in the little freezer. Neil was giving me a gentle telling off for buying too much food and not using what is there (he couldn't get his supply of soya margerine into the freezers). That's actually very bad because it means that all those cubic feet of food are mine! That's it, must stop buying. I've been trying to make sure my volunteer shopper keeps going, so buy more than I really need, and i need to keep the car running at least once a week, so go to the butcher, but it has to end. Must take myself in hand, especially so because I'm not really eating much of what I do cook at the moment. The way my stomach is feeling right now, the gumbo might be going on its travels to No 2 son's house tomorrow.

Reactions: Chook

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
About 12.30 I had 2 thin slices of meat loaf, fried in butter with 2 fried eggs on top.

I've been making a kind of gumbo, but shan't be having it this evening. I have some fresh cod with which to make jumbo fingers and that will be tonight's meal. No veg - still not comfortable with veg after the last few days.

The gumbo, of course, is full of veg. (Kind of gumbo, because as usual, I started out with a fair idea of how I would make it, and then diverted onto another idea. I didn't have the herbs it needed, so I used spinach; the roux was made with waterchestnut flour; no seafood or sausage, but chunks of pork and ready cooked chicken. the other veg are right though - garlic, onion, celery and peppers. I've added a lemon to the stew because I put a little too much cayenne pepper in.) The fish fingers will be plain enough not to cause any digestive problems - parmesan coating should be OK.

I found a few more bits and pieces for No 2 son to take home with him, to clear some small spaces in the little freezer. Neil was giving me a gentle telling off for buying too much food and not using what is there (he couldn't get his supply of soya margerine into the freezers). That's actually very bad because it means that all those cubic feet of food are mine! That's it, must stop buying. I've been trying to make sure my volunteer shopper keeps going, so buy more than I really need, and i need to keep the car running at least once a week, so go to the butcher, but it has to end. Must take myself in hand, especially so because I'm not really eating much of what I do cook at the moment. The way my stomach is feeling right now, the gumbo might be going on its travels to No 2 son's house tomorrow.

Surely your volunteer helper is there to help whether you need a huge shop or a realistic one? Just buy what is required Ann. Food waste is madness.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - bacon & eggs

Dinner - Cajun chicken, cauliflower cheese and carrots

Shelley262 - well done on the weight loss - do you find that eating only once a day helps you lose weight quicker? The reason I am asking is I would like to lose another 6lbs - but I have to say I have kind of stop losing weight and it seems to be getting harder. Many thanks x

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb