What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
breakfast was scrambled eggs and 1/2 a bread roll with butter and coffee
dinner made pumpkin soup and had the other 1/2 of bread roll with butter

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @zauberflote and @Chook, for your kind wishes.

Checked BG at 2.30 this morning. It had risen from 9.9 about midnight to 13.7. That's after what I consider to be very high doses of insulin during the day and the basal dose (just after midnight) of 62 units - almost as high as I used to take of Lantus, which was apparently too much, according to Diabetes nurses.

BG when I finally dragged myself up (8.30) was 13.8. Water and pills.

I had breakfast at 11 am, by which time my reading was 18.5. Breakfast insulin dose was 48, as yesterday and I had 2 of the remaining sausages and 2 rashers of streaky bacon. I'll check again in another half hour.

Later I'll have some more of the aubergine bake, but I'll have to add something tasty to it to try to achieve some flavour.

I've just boiled some eggs and I'll put together an egg salad to take with me tomorrow so that I'm not tempted to accept the inevitable sandwiches the hospital will offer after the procedure.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Last week I 'angry-ordered' some way too expensive bread mixes plus a pack of low carb crisps to get to the required 15 euros, and still had to pay postage.
The crisps were very horrible, but one of the bread mixes turned out to not be bread mix but a pack of very dense sliced bread, only 3.5 gr. of carbs a slice and I love the stuff!
Now I'm not going to order from this ridiculously expensive company ever again (apart from being ridiculously expensive they're now filling my mailbox with advertisements and asking for reviews) but I found something which looks remarkably like this bread on my supermarkets website! Fingers crossed it's the same, I'll have a look tomorrow!
Found it, and it tastes the same!
Still expensive but I won't be eating very much of it so I'm very happy!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Today I had my bloods taken for A1c and full lipids, BP and foot prodding first thing. I had a restless night thinking about it all. I am expecting my A1c to rise bit it was mostly concern about being in the surgery. Anyway it all seemed safe and I was glad to get it over with. So breakfast was later and was my usual. Lunch was a tablespoon of Waldorf salad, heavy on the celery, that I made yesterday for a change accompanied by a large chunk of Shropshire Blue. Supper will be my chicken, chorizo, red pepper and tomato thing with added courgettes for me and Mr PM will have pasta.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh I hope it was a good feeling of taste for you. :) It was the first time I made it as normally make it the Lebanese way but decided to try this recipe and was a success. yes the carb debate is very conflicting as we have been constantly told that is what we should eat regardless yet so many people are suffering from some form of metabolic condition and for some reason the Mediterranean diet is classed as the best way of eating due to low fat and well why do carbs taste so good LOL

I'm sure the Mediterranean diet is excellent for lots of people. Not so good for people who need to eat low carb/high fat meals. There must be many reasons why people have difficulty with carbs as well as diabetics so although the Mediterranean diet has much to recommend it, it's not suitable for everyone (those who advocate it often seem to forget, or not know, that).

I often wonder if the root cause of these dietary problems for so many of my generation in Britain was the wartime/post wartime diet which was available to us. From some years before my birth in 1945 to the end of rationing in 1953, the main foodstuffs available were root veg and starchy carbs. Even coffee was made from grains like barley, sometimes from dandelion root (Dad always called it "ersatz" and refused to drink it). The main source of protein was offal and it wasn't cheap ( each animal only has one heart, one liver, 2 kidneys and so on) and so it wasn't as cheap as it should have been, so a little was made to go a long way by being bulked out with starchy carbs. Dairy products were severely rationed (eg a tiny amount of butter to last a week). As rationing eased, what became available first? Sugar! Sweets! Rubbish chocolate! But we loved those things and became used to having them. As time went on, fast foods and treats became more commonplace until we arrived at the situation we find ourselves in - consuming sugary, starchy, fatty foods as the main part of our diet. It won't have led to diabetes in everyone, of course, but I do think it is a major factor.

My favourite Mediterranean ingredients are garlic and tomatoes. Those don't seem to do any damage, although they do, of course, contain sugar.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all 2 meals today: breakfast just a lot of black coffee
Lunch: Mortadella, Brie, olives, rocket and h/m mayo then a DGF ginger cake and cup of tea with almond milk.
Dinner: https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-tex-mex-casserole with a new batch of h/m tex mex seasoning which was Very heavy on the chilli. Phew! Served with wilted spinach and sour cream. Strawberries and cream to follow.
Managed as 6 hr eating window today which I’m hoping will help bring BG into line.
Thanks for the good wishes @Chook
Fingers crossed for your HbA1c etc @PenguinMum I’m glad your surgery felt safe.
Everything else crossed for your procedure @Annb Good idea to take something more nutritious with you than rely on the hospital sandwich.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

made a ‘classic’ (plain) mug bread this morning, spread it all with butter, then half marmite and half keto rasp jam.
V nice. Nibbled it as a kind of brunch. Now watching my ankles for swelling.
D: lamb ribs in a smoked chipotle and chilli rub. The dogs nearly mugged me.

i do love the airfryer, but a replacement is becoming urgent. There is zero non stick left.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@maglil55 I am imagining all of Scotland's grans sitting in parking lots every afternoon bundled up in fleece and down...
@Chook mixed blessing re insulin. I'm sorry but glad it worked.
@Annb I share your frustration. Have a hug! (((Annb))) Your egg salad plan sounds good. Wishing you all the best tomorrow!
@PenguinMum I know what you mean about the anxiety of being out. Glad it's over with! Hope results are good.
Today in fact and theory:
Bfast fact avocado, pecans, boiled egg, 1/4 of a Lindt 90% square mmmmm, flax crisps/dilute soymilk
Theoretical fasted until pre-barre skyr yogurt/olive oil+a little spoon pnut butter
Supper the ever present spinach for which I hope to make dressing, something I'll know when I see it, and flax crisps/etc

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
If you had two pork chops that had been in the freezer for seems like a year, and you wanted to melt them into pulled pork for MrZF, would you pressure cook? Slow cook?

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@PenguinMum -- Keeping my fingers crossed for good results on your HbA1c. When will you find out?
@Annb -- Thinking of you tomorrow. Hope all goes well.
@DJC3 -- Hugs for the stressful times, hope things are calming down.
@zauberflote -- Portabello mushrooms make for a good hamburger bun, remember them from my time in the States back then, but they have only recently become available in Germany. What do you do with them?

Today ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Half a DD keto roll with mayonnaise and smoked salmon. A serving of guacamole and a serving of baba ghanoush. About 15g of 88% chocolate.

Dinner: Three small lamb chops with cauli mash (prepared with butter and potato fiber). Half a DD keto roll with mayonnaise and beef salami. Lamb's lettuce with Caesar's dressing and parmesan. Dry red wine.

Decided to take a picture of the DD keto rolls (adapted the recipe a bit from dietdoctor.com). I figure they have about 1g of carbs per half roll.

DD keto roll.jpg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Playing catch up again.

@zauberflote I’d slow cook the pork chops. Your sun porch sounds like what we’d call a conservatory.
@DJC3 hugs for the life getting complicated and interfering with food plans. Sounds like you’re back on track today
@Mauriac @Chook during a Slimming World phase I started eating the Linda McCartney sausages with rosemary in place of the real thing. Seem to remember quite liking them.
@MrsA2 feel for you with the migraines - drop me a PM if you want to chat about that. Major benefit for me of keto has been their disappearance
@maglil55 the Hilton is a fab hotel. On the swimming front my pool had just announced it would open in November, but wonder if that will now change.
@Chook hugs for the insulin but pleased it’s helping

Now on to today’s food.

Lunch was mince fried with onions, 2 eggs and some grated cheese followed by some cream cheese and cream.
Dinner - on the run during a work errand. M&S ham and cheese rollitos and some hotel Chocolat choccie eaten in St James’s Park watching pelicans and parakeets!

Mauriac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb First, I hope your procedure tomorrow goes well and that you have no delays and everyone is kind to you, as it makes such a difference.

Secondly, I agree that when cheese is cooked it seems to lose some of its flavour. We sometimes have (or used to have I should now say) macaroni cheese, and the mature cheddar I used seemed to lose its bite. We added some mustard and a little paprika, which seems to restore it. I'm not sure if that would work with your dish but it might be worth a try.

Your post about post-war eating resonated with me. My mother was born in 1928 and so was a child during the war, and experienced all its privations. She married in 1947 but it wasn't until the late 50s, early 60s that my brother and I came along. Of course, by that time rationing had ended and food was plentiful (although, as you know, the range of things available then was only a fraction of what we now have). I think that she didn't want my brother and me to miss out in the way that she and her sisters had, so we were never discouraged form eating.

When I was small I was given sixpence a day (in old money) to spend in the sweet shop. That was at a time when blackjacks or fruit salad were 4 for a penny. All this, combined with the fact that I was a studious and dreamy child, rather than an active one, meant that I put on weight. Although this was by no means the only factor, the seeds of my subsequent weight gain and, later, diagnosis of pre-diabetes were sown then I believe

Reactions: maglil55

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks to @Goonergal and all the others who have shown concern for my migraines. Luckily I've only had 2 or 3 since diagnosed and low carb, but what's been galling this week is all the research I ve found says they should disappear with keto, and I am in ketosis most of the time. Obviously my sort of migraines can't read!

Today b was ff greek with seeds and 3 strawberries
L 3 or 4 slices of chorizo, one chicken drumsticks and 30g of Wensleydale cheese
D chicken breast with stir fry veg.

Odd day weather-wise, this morning was so hot we nearly burned then afternoon went cold and grey. Is that the last of English summer? Has been a nice long one

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all strange day today for me but ended well. I did a private test - as NHS are not doing them locally for controlled diabetics - for cholesterol and hba1c. its one where you prick your finger yourself for the blood sample and did Sunday morning first thing and posted to them. I know some people struggle with producing enough blood but I had the opposite problem this time with blood positively gushing right from first lancet stab - outside as well as in to the test tube - I did follow the advice to drink plenty of water though! Results came through online just about 30 mins ago. Hba1c is excellent I've gone back down since January when my NHS test was 34 and it is now 32. My lowest ever was 29 but delighted with this current figure as have had some high stress related bgs. My Cholesterol is still abnormal - well the LDL part of it anyway - 4.8 - the rest is optimal and excellent with Trigs at 0.67 and HDL at 2.58. Im considering getting a further breakdown done privatley on the LDL particles in a month or so but will wait a bit as my ratios are excellent and its pricier than the standard test. Advice from Dr with the results was simple "Eat more wholegrain foods" but Im not prepared to do this with my health metrics otherwise being so good.
@PenguinMum good luck with yours it always feels a tense time but I didnt want to leave it any longer Ive always had 6 monthly tests to keep an eye on things and had gone 9 and a half months. Would imagine I won't get called in any time soon so wanted to just checkand see with some of my testing figures being higher.

Breakfast an early morning swim session.
lunch scrambled eggs with slice of bacon and a toasted chaffle
Mid pm warmed half a chaffle with lc syrup and cream
Dinner chicken kebabs with thai spices and salads followed by DGF Lemon and blueberry cake with a few berries from garden and cream. Some 100% montezumas to celebrate just with a decaff coffee.

Swimming session booked for the morning before carrying on unravelling a complex caring issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb First, I hope your procedure tomorrow goes well and that you have no delays and everyone is kind to you, as it makes such a difference.

Secondly, I agree that when cheese is cooked it seems to lose some of its flavour. We sometimes have (or used to have I should now say) macaroni cheese, and the mature cheddar I used seemed to lose its bite. We added some mustard and a little paprika, which seems to restore it. I'm not sure if that would work with your dish but it might be worth a try.

Your post about post-war eating resonated with me. My mother was born in 1928 and so was a child during the war, and experienced all its privations. She married in 1947 but it wasn't until the late 50s, early 60s that my brother and I came along. Of course, by that time rationing had ended and food was plentiful (although, as you know, the range of things available then was only a fraction of what we now have). I think that she didn't want my brother and me to miss out in the way that she and her sisters had, so we were never discouraged form eating.

When I was small I was given sixpence a day (in old money) to spend in the sweet shop. That was at a time when blackjacks or fruit salad were 4 for a penny. All this, combined with the fact that I was a studious and dreamy child, rather than an active one, meant that I put on weight. Although this was by no means the only factor, the seeds of my subsequent weight gain and, later, diagnosis of pre-diabetes were sown then I believe

When I was in my teens I had 10 shillings a week pocket money. That had to cover tights (which always laddered rapidly somehow), small expenses(pencils, rubbers and so on) and I always went in to a sweet shop on the way home from school on the day after pocket money day to buy a Toblerone bar (1/6d), which I took home to share with Mum. Whatever else I had to pay out, the weekly Toblerone was essential. Mum was pretty skinny in her younger days but she filled out rather a lot after rationing ended! In time I developed a craving for Clarnico peppermint creams, until I sickened myself with them (around 1960. Still can't cope with mint, all these years later. Always enjoyed sweets, cakes, biscuits etc but stopped myself around 1970 when I made myself ill trying to lose weight. Too late - the damage was done.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and chocolate phd bar.
Late Lunch: Pork scratchings followed by Greek yoghurt, raspberries and vanilla and raspberry LC granola.
Dinner: cheese burger (no bun) with a leafy salad followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast 2x CWC
CWC
Spent the morning staining woodwork in the bedrooms, a long with various household and gardening chores.
Lunch: ham salad, coleslaw, tea.
Managed to finish after lunch. Then we had to you out to collect a table and chairs. Traffic was ok, but road closures for works nearly doubled both journey length and time. Stopped at Macdonalds on the way home.
Dinner: MrSlim had some kind of burger with chips ( i plnched four) and a coffee. For me it was a bacon and blue cheese salad. Bottle of water to drink. Turned out to be fizzy so only a small amount consumed.
Cat was waiting for us and took his ear drops and medicine with very little fuss. Dinner for him, then well deserved cup of tea for us.
Lemon tea at bedtime.