What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Unplanned OMAD today. Had got kippers out of the freezer last night, intending them to be for breakfast this morning. Not hungry, so they’re still there.

Dinner has just been a delicious plate of lamb ribs, salted and air fried. Have walked a fair distance today so there may be a need for something else shortly, but probably not kippers!

DB4C9EDE-5AC9-487B-8E4A-A76FB855631E.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ribs look great @Goonergal.
Omad for me too as it turned out. Granddaughters round for Sunday lunch which was a gammon joint cooked in the IP served with cauli cheese and buttered cabbage. Small portion as I really wasn’t hungry. Been feeling a bit out of sorts all day.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ribs look great @Goonergal.
Omad for me too as it turned out. Granddaughters round for Sunday lunch which was a gammon joint cooked in the IP served with cauli cheese and buttered cabbage. Small portion as I really wasn’t hungry. Been feeling a bit out of sorts all day.

Sorry to hear you're a bit under the weather. Hope you feel better soon.

Neil and I are both feeling out of sorts as well today. Actually I have been for a few days, but Neil has been fine until today. He got up and dressed earlyish but since then has been wandering around with his thick winter dressing gown over his clothes and looking very hang-dog. We've only had the heating on for part of the day since it went back on at the end of the summer but I made sure it was on all day the last few days and I even turned it up to 20 C this afternoon.

Breakfast was 2 sausages, as yesterday. Lots of tea and some milk all day.

I am about to stir fry some mushrooms and maybe some tomatoes for my other meal. Just beginning to feel a bit peckish, so that should do me.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and cookies and cream phd bar
Late Lunch: 2 x individual portions of cheddar followed by Greek yoghurt chopped dark chocolate almonds and LC chocolate granola.
Dinner: keralan chicken curry with roasted veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bit sneezy/shivery here too. Blaming the change in the weather!

Made some granola this morning so breakfast was ff greek poured into the used mixing bowl to scrape up every bit of chocolate taste

Lunch was tiny bit of last nights leftover dry chicken curry followed by an Aldi nut bar. Must not eat those again, too dangerous to teeth and the odds are running out

D. Roast chicken with kale and green beans (still picking beans in the garden!). 2 spoonfuls cream with 1 of choc granola

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@DJC3 hope you feel better soon! And same @Annb for you and Neil!
Yesterday's food was unfortunately dominated by the baking and cooking, all high bad carb, and needing spoons licked and sauces tasted. Otherwise usual foods. Today being Sunday seems to be a feast day but have avoided the bad stuff in favor of lots of cheese <rolls eyes>
Bfast avocado, pecans, boiled egg, 1/2 Lindt 90% square, cottage cheese, flax crisps/dilute soymilk
Lunch en famille, pecans, boiled egg mushed up with serendipitous Chik-Fil-A dressing, dill pickle spear, olives, blackberries, 2 sq Lindt 90% yikes, then cherry tomato and provolone feast
Supper will have the newly traditional grilled portobello caps with blue cheese, more blue cheese, more blue cheese, spinach/hm dressing, flax crisps/dilute soymilk. May not use the grill; it keeps raining and is just not worth getting wet for when I can fry the mushrooms indoors!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear you're a bit under the weather. Hope you feel better soon.

Neil and I are both feeling out of sorts as well today. Actually I have been for a few days, but Neil has been fine until today. He got up and dressed earlyish but since then has been wandering around with his thick winter dressing gown over his clothes and looking very hang-dog. We've only had the heating on for part of the day since it went back on at the end of the summer but I made sure it was on all day the last few days and I even turned it up to 20 C this afternoon.

Breakfast was 2 sausages, as yesterday. Lots of tea and some milk all day.

I am about to stir fry some mushrooms and maybe some tomatoes for my other meal. Just beginning to feel a bit peckish, so that should do me.

I think a lot of people are feeling like this at the moment Ann - there seems to have been very little respite for you though. You’ve really been through it.
We’ve had the log burner on all day but can’t seem to warm up. I think it’s going to be a long winter.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 hope you feel better soon! And same @Annb for you and Neil!
Yesterday's food was unfortunately dominated by the baking and cooking, all high bad carb, and needing spoons licked and sauces tasted. Otherwise usual foods. Today being Sunday seems to be a feast day but have avoided the bad stuff in favor of lots of cheese <rolls eyes>
Bfast avocado, pecans, boiled egg, 1/2 Lindt 90% square, cottage cheese, flax crisps/dilute soymilk
Lunch en famille, pecans, boiled egg mushed up with serendipitous Chik-Fil-A dressing, dill pickle spear, olives, blackberries, 2 sq Lindt 90% yikes, then cherry tomato and provolone feast
Supper will have the newly traditional grilled portobello caps with blue cheese, more blue cheese, more blue cheese, spinach/hm dressing, flax crisps/dilute soymilk. May not use the grill; it keeps raining and is just not worth getting wet for when I can fry the mushrooms indoors!

Thank you.
It’s so hard to resist licking spoons isn’t it? It’s just automatic.
I love portobello mushrooms with blue cheese. Thanks for the reminder.

Reactions: zauberflote

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Late addition to food - about 20g Montezuma’s 100% with orange to try to buck me up. Didn’t really work.

Reactions: maglil55

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@zauberflote -- If you really would enjoy some cracklings, chicken might actually not be the worst choice for you because it mostly contains unsaturated fat.
@DJC3, @SlimLizzy, and @Goonergal -- I really miss bacon, the other types of pork not so much. There are also no good subsitutes for bacon.
Hugs to all of you feeling under the weather today, @DJC3, Annb (and Neil), and @MrsA2.

Made some mayonnaise and Caesar's dressing last night and got stuck with four egg whites, I didn't need. So, decided to experiment rather than throw them out.

Whipped the egg whites, added about four tablespoons of powdered erythritol, four tablespoons of almond flour, 1 pinch of salt, unsweetened vanilla extract, a few drops of lemon oil and almond essence. Put a teaspoonful each of the mixture on the baking sheet to make cookies and baked them until they were light brown (came out to be around 30 cookies). They turned out to be really very nice, intensely almond flavored and only 3g carbs for the entire batch.

So, had about a third of the batch right there and then and the other two-thirds today.

Blood sugars a bit higher today all day probably due to laying off the wine for the last two days.

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythitol. Some of the cookies above.

Lunch: A DD keto roll with mayonnaise and cheese. About 150g of baba ghanoush.

Some more of the cookies throughout the day.

Dinner: Cheese platter with some beef and turkey salami. Some cornichons.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breàkfast: usual nut granola and 2x CWC
CWC
Lunch: chicken ham? Mayonnaise. Salad of lettuce, radish, spring onion and half a tomato. Coleslaw.one slice pain kapnor toast with butter and pâté, one piece of cauliflower cheese bread. From the freezer, defrosted, split and toasted with a little butter in the frying pan, golden and crispy delicious. When listed like this sounds a lot. water and tea. I gave MrSlim the other half of yesterday's cake.
Tea, half a biscuit.
Glass or two of fizz.
Dinner: more of MrSlims rich beef casserole. He added mushrooms today. Served with cabbage and carrots. Ff Greek yoghurt and half a dozen strawberries from the freezer. Another glass of fizz. Water. Coffee and two cups of lemon tea.

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@ziggy_w really!?? (re chicken skin) I will look into that! Re the bacon, we can get soy bacon, turkey bacon-- they both taste very bacon-y, but the ingredients have more syllables than Mary Poppins knew the first time round. I don't bother. I can think of a BLT on white toast (think, Wonderbread) with nostalgia, but it's more for childhood me than the food.
How peaky did you whip those egg whites? That seems too easy, but deep almond flavor sounds yummy!
Bet I'm last, so Good Morning UK and EU!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Today's food is exactly the same as yesterday and Saturday except type of bread. TWAM then CWC + SF syrup. About 1.00 pm, Mestermacher toast, chicken, cucumber and salad leaves liberally sprinkled with acv .2XL mackerel and avocado salad with vinaigrette and seeds around 5.45. I f only I could wax lyrical over the buttery soft and creamy avocado, the crunchy celery, peppery radish, faintly aniseed fennel, a riot of vibrant colours from the wonderful leaves which play a symphony on one's palate, cool cucumber, meaty, soft, oh so oily, responsibly sourced fish, sweet, juicy cherry tomatoes and gorgeous spring onions. All lovingly bathed in the transcendent majesty of the tangy, magically emulsified, vinaigrette then generously topped with wonderful,whole, chia and flaxseeds. The which, all lovingly mixed, nestles supremely in the essential huge, silky, pure white bowl. I suppose that will just have to do, reem or not. If anyone uses Lidl regularly would you be so kind as to let me know if or when they have frozen geese in store please. We usually have one for Martinmas - Nov 11th. TIA.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All
Hugs to @DJC3 @Annb and Neil for feeling bad, hope you start to feel better. Its such a bleak and anxious time for us all and those we love.
Yesterday I has my usual slice HiLo toast, butter and tea.
Lunch was egg mayo, tomat, radishes and spring onion.
Supper was shepherds pie with celeriac mash. A couple of Bramble gin & sodas.
Today same brekkie. Probs same lunch (boring but just easy)
Supper will be fried veg breakfast, mushrooms, eggs and tomatoes.Not clucking yet but not far off! Lol.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still behind! Friday bed 6.2 FBG 6.5. @PenguinMum & @Annb - sorry you're (have been) under the weather. You too @DJC3. I was last week but it was very short term. Glad you're recovering @ziggy_w. @DJC3 & @ziggy_w - bread and butter pudding. I'm down to 2 slices and the heels. I put an order in on Saturday for SLC bread and rolls and amazingly they notified me this morning it has been dispatched! I'm happy I can deal with everything in a bread & butter pudding to make it low carb except sultanas. I used to like to soak the sultanas in brandy before they went into B&B pudding but my calculations are putting a portion above 15g carbs at the moment. Dark choc chips work but I'm wondering about chopped up brandy soaked cherries ? I'd soak them myself as the jars are too sugar infested. I feel another experiment coming on.
Friday
B. TAG and a slice of SLC toast with M&S whipped cheese
L. Early pick up from school and decided to get supermarket trip out of the way when I took the boys home so nothing.
D. Had to do a trip to the butcher this morning as freezer was getting a bit bare. I had a garlic & parmesan rubbed chicken escalope with a salad of lettuce, avocado, mini plum tomatoes, cheese and walnuts. 2 squares of 90%.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Corned beef on Atkins crackers for breakfast today.
Later on I will have some chicken wings - marinating in the fridge at the moment. Should probably have some veg of some sort to go with them. Maybe just a plate of pickled veg. Having made them I should use them. Or I might just grill some cucumber.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Edinburgh Marathon (when it was on) went right past son's previous house. It caused mayhem trying to get near the house. He always took great delight in firing up the BBQ and cooking bacon to allow the aroma to waft in the direction of the runners.

Reactions: zauberflote

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Corned beef on Atkins crackers for breakfast today.
Later on I will have some chicken wings - marinating in the fridge at the moment. Should probably have some veg of some sort to go with them. Maybe just a plate of pickled veg. Having made them I should use them. Or I might just grill some cucumber.
Everyday is a school day. Grilled cucumber sent me scurrying to google and first off was this then this. There may be hope for hot/warm food yet. Thank you @Annb. @maglil55 I abhorred B and B pudding pre LC but LC does strange things to a fella and I have been thinking of a recipe for that for some time. I will keep my eyes peeled for yours. Sour cherries in brandy sounds like something I could live with.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saturday bed 6.5 FBG 5.8. I was glad I got my shopping done yesterday. Pouring down today. Also first day of being locked down again! We've been lumped in with Lothian, so despite the bulk of the cases in Lothian being Edinburgh (students) and West Lothian we're locked down on the back of 41 infections and zero deaths in the last 7 days. All thanks to not much being done about Glasgow/Lanarkshire weeks ago. I have to feel for Arran as well. They have had zero cases & deaths since May but they're locked too as they're lumped in with Ayrshire.
Anyway, Saturday

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with M&S whipped cheese.
L. TAG and a Lotus biscuit
D. I'd taken another of these chicken burger things out of the freezer with the peppercorn sauce in the centre. Had that with a salad of avocado, lettuce, tomato and walnuts. 2 squares Morrisons 85%.