What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
I got a positive Covid test result at midnight, four days after test. I know exactly where I got it and it is an unhappy Waitrose tale. The only place I have been in the last 12 days was Waitrose for Burford Brown eggs the Thurs before last. The second time I have been in any supermarket since 6th March. Hardly any customers but while checking out the assistant waiting to go on the till coughed all over me, dreadful cough. Last week felt off all week with higher temperature, exhaustion and notably higher BG. Mr PM has had test this morning and I am hoping he will be ok.
@Bex72 glad you are getting better.
Breakfast today usual slice HiLo toast, butter, tea.
Lunch will be slice HiLo with either egg mayo or pate on top. Poor appetite and craving comfort food.
Supper will be roast chicken breast and veg.

Mr PM and I have divided up the house between us but I will probs have to don a mask and cook supper nevertheless.
So sorry to hear that @PenguinMum. Hope and pray that your time with this will be as sort lived and uncomplicated as possible. Dividing up the house is a great idea. We did the same in Mach although Julie didn't have a test. Take care. Your fbg suggests things may not be too bad - at least for today.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All
I got a positive Covid test result at midnight, four days after test. I know exactly where I got it and it is an unhappy Waitrose tale. The only place I have been in the last 12 days was Waitrose for Burford Brown eggs the Thurs before last. The second time I have been in any supermarket since 6th March. Hardly any customers but while checking out the assistant waiting to go on the till coughed all over me, dreadful cough. Last week felt off all week with higher temperature, exhaustion and notably higher BG. Mr PM has had test this morning and I am hoping he will be ok.
Lunch will be slice HiLo with either egg mayo or pate on top. Poor appetite and craving comfort food.

Mr PM and I have divided up the house between us but I will probs have to don a mask and cook supper nevertheless.

So sorry to hear that. That assistant shouldn't have been at work with a cough. The manager should have sent her/him home. That is so selfish and uncaring. I do hope the effects are not too serious and that you recover soon. Do take care and be good to yourself.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So sorry to hear that @PenguinMum. Hope and pray that your time with this will be as sort lived and uncomplicated as possible. Dividing up the house is a great idea. We did the same in Mach although Julie didn't have test. Take care. Your fbg suggests thinks may not be too bad - at least for today.
Thanks Ian..just getting over the shock of it...what were the odds and we have been so careful. My temperature and BG continue to be all over the place, was 7.3 before supper yesterday but this morning FBG was good.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So sorry to hear that. That assistant shouldn't have been at work with a cough. The manager should have sent her/him home. That is so selfish and uncaring. I do hope the effects are not too serious and that you recover soon. Do take care and be good to yourself.
Thanks Ann, so far so good, knew I was fighting “something” last week. More worried about Mr PM.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All

I do hope it's only mild and you get through it quickly. xxx

Reactions: zauberflote

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Food as per. @PenguinMum and Mr PM both in my thoughts and prayers. As for the W assistant, who knows how desperate for money/job retention they were?. Entire GB system being shown to be a house built on sand. @Annb hug for the insulin issues. @ziggy_w narrow eating window with late start stressing the body (post in fbg thread) strikes a chord, any links please?. Currently being sub 74 kgs thrashes most HF food without the carby sides. Ice cream maker sounds reem . @maglil55 Julie came back yesterday, so kind of you to ask. No need now for me to have any opinions but headphones were such a wise investment. @zauberflote lights go off here by 10.00 pm.:angelic:

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As requested, @ianpspurs .
IMG_1602593793.892123.jpg

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@PenguinMum how awful for both of you. I would make sure to let that store know that the assistant was in contact with you in past two weeks. Never mind they were the cougher and you the coughee. Were masks mandatory? My younger son works at a large Kroger, where associates have turned up sick for decades, because unwritten rule says, they have to wait to be told to go home if they don't want to be accused of malingering, and demoted. (Experience)
@Annb sorry the proper insulin isn't available-- but it makes sense to me that you would use what's available, that is, the old kind. What a beautiful pic! All concentration. I was barely doing straight seams at 8-- good for her on that zipper!!! You know what?-- I'd be terrified of that machine she's using. I have a vintage 1930's Singer which I can convert to treadle come the apocalypse.
Bfast avocado, pecans, 2 scrambled eggs while boiling up a panful, 1 Lindt 90%, flax crisps/dilute soymilk with a side of dirty dishes being washed. Led directly to lunch, cottage cheese and peanut butter from the jar I was stirring for MrZF. And then disaster struck-- I ate 3 Oreos. I woke up definitely not bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning despite 8 hours in bed, many of them asleep. It's colored my whole outlook, as I've had such a string of great-feeling days. This too shall pass, but the Oreos did not help in the long term.
Supper will have spinach/hm dressing which now needs more flavorings to fill in the extra oil&vinegar I added last week, flax crisps/dilute soy, and maybe sardines. Been eating lots of them-- the water gets mixed with the cats' supper food, which they love, and then I take the tin outside and they have a ball with it. If I open the jar of pesto for MrZF, I can put some on the sardines!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I phoned the pharmacy about lunch time to see if they had any news of my insulin. "Oh yes, it came in yesterday afternoon." They might have let me know, I'd told them I had run out. Never mind, I went and got it, so all's well. Well, it will be when my BG comes back up. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me all afternoon, but when I started shaking it suddenly dawned on me. Haven't had a hypo for ages. I've stopped shaking now.

I have some poached salmon and some hard boiled egg to make something of in a while. The plain loaf has gone out. I didn't enjoy it anyway. Bread made on this Island is nowhere near as good as the stuff I remember from when we lived on the mainland.

Reactions: maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Hugs @PenguinMum and hope you have a mild case.

Another hungry day today.

Ate breakfast in the cafe near work. 2 fried eggs with bacon.
Lunch was smoked salmon and cream cheese followed by Greek yoghurt with a couple of pieces of Montezuma’s absolute black with orange and cocoa nibs.
Dinner was M&S Arbroath kippers and a slice of buttered Mestermacher.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Late Breakfast (dropped one of our cars at the garage for service and MOT first, other car’s turn next Tuesday!): my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and peanut phd bar
Skipped lunch.
Dinner: chicken chasseur with roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fully omad today.
12:00 seems to work for me as had a busy morning
L: 3 eggs scrambled with cheese and broccoli with a chicken thigh and a tomato on the side. 2 strawberries, 4 tablespoons cream, 1 of yoghurt and 1 of granola
Was quite an effort to eat it all, but was hungry after yesterday's smaller meal.
Still feeling full 7 hours later

Went to a physio session this afternoon for an annoying intermittent back problem, but he put me ona cross trainer to 'warm up' however it just produced breathlessness and chest discomfort. He seems to think I'm not aerobically fit, but I'm wondering if I still have chest infection (or soemthing else ) lurking. Haven't felt 100% for months now.
Be interested to see what tomorrow brings

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Hi All

So sorry to hear this PenguinMum. Lots of people get a mild illness and I hope this applies to you. My heart goes out to you. I was thirsty all the time with covid and kept water to sip beside my bed. I also got chapped lips so would suggest lip balm nearby. I had cold and flu remedies at the ready too. If you don't have one it might be worth buying an oximeter. We had one (although not sure how accurate the readings were) as having low blood oxygen can help you decide when you need help. This is what enabled the pm to get help at the right time and not end up ventilated. Take care xxxx

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Hugs, @PenguinMum -- What an awful thing to happen, I would be quite angry at the supermarket to let employees come in sick these days. Keeping my fingers crossed that your's will be a mild case.
@MrsA2 -- Sorry about the breathlessness on the crosstrainer -- it definitely does sound like a chest infection or something similar.
@Bex72 -- Glad to see you posting more regularly now, hope this means you're feeling much better.
@zauberflote and @maglil55 -- I agree, I thought the tomato sorbet sounded good too, but probably add much less sweetener than suggested in the recipe. Do any of you know by the way what tomato juice extract is? This is needed according to the recipe. Btw, there is also a recipe for parmesan icecream.
@ianpspurs -- The comment was just based on my own experience (and what I've seen some members post here). When I get hungry, often my blood sugar goes up instead of down. I also wouldn't find it very surprising if hunger caused stress, which on the one hand would lead to the release of glucose from the liver and on the other hand the release of cortisol, which again would lead to increased insulin resistance ... but might be wrong about this too. Anyway, I have no scientific source for this.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast one cup of CWC and nut granola eaten in a great hurry. As taking cat to vet .
CWC
Lunch avocado, mozzarella and tomato salad lettuce and a spring onion followed by pear and blackberry crumble. Adapted to be lower carb so one portion should be around 20g carbs. BG before meal 5.9. After one hour 6.2. Forgot to take two hour reading as had just fetched cat home from vet.
Dinner chicken thigh with sweet pepper onion and mushrooms, served with notre if the frozen celeriac purée. Think it would make a better thickener for sauces and gravy than it does a vegetable. Cooking it in the oven was less grey and watery, but still not a great success. Celeriac purée is probably going to feature heavily for a few days we need to eat all the contents if the freezer. Glass if wine few squares of chocolate.
Bedtime tea
@PenguinMum hope you are soon well again