What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Onlinecaroline

Finally managed OMAD today! Woo!

Dinner - Homemade Aberdeen Angus smashed burgers with burger cheese, Mayo, fried pickle and onion, crispy bacon and chorizo butter. All served in an SLC roll with 3 chicken wings and some swede fries.

A DGF lemon and blueberry slice and a Montezuma truffle.
CMP9QY-AStT

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Fibre One caramel protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coffee chia pudding.
Dinner: carbonara made with Explore Cuisine edamame ‘spaghetti’ topped with grated cheese followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Does Celleriac taste of celery? It smells a bit like it.
I really hate celery so have avoided it like the plague

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t find it does - but I do like celery. I find It is a fairly bland taste like potato and if you cook it in a soup,curry or stew like potato it takes on the flavour of the dish you are cooking.
Edit would you prefer turnip or swede they’d be similar I think if you preferred the taste of them? I find turnip has a stronger flavour but do like this as well.

Last edited:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find it does but mildly. It doesn't have the awful stringiness, wateriness of celery. It cooks up very differently.
Out of one you could try some mashed with cream cheese and more cheese -yum, or fried into chips, with seasoning of your choice.
It also freezes well
Worth trying as it is so usefull

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Out of one you could try some mashed with cream cheese and more cheese -yum, or fried into chips, with seasoning of your choice.
And, one of my favourites, grated raw in a thick layer on a slice of (LC) bread (or a lettuce/cabbage leaf, or rolled up in a slice of ham) with mayonnaise and salt and pepper. I've loved this since I was a child :)

Also very good when oven baked with a slice of cheese and optional bacon on top. Works perfect for a lunch to go as well, and you can make it the day before.

Reactions: maglil55

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hot and spicy sausages, eggs and tomatoes for breakfast, not much as I had to assemble a new office chair at home so just a prawn and salad wrap. Whole "Red Rooster" cooked chicken, and veggies gravy.

Whole-Roast-Chicken.png

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Moussaka tonight, loosely based on this recipe.

https://www.mygreekdish.com/recipe/mousakas/

Swapped the flour for arrowroot powder, and halved the quantity of most of the ingredients. It's still fed 2 of us, with enough left over to do the same, tomorrow. Not sure about the carbs, but should be pretty low. Mostly in the tinned tomatoes again, I think.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Brunch one LC HM roll with one boiled egg and a couple of slices of cooked ham
Mid pm two hm lc truffles
Dinner beef casserole with steamed cauliflower and one small roast potato( par boiled and frozen about two months ago so hoping starch is more resistant!) one glass of dry red wine pudding sugar free jelly with Greek yoghurt.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A bad night , spent most of it listening to the wind (outside wind that is!)
Resulted in a hungry day
B: 3 scrambled eggs
Tried skipping lunch but sneaked in half a ketonut, a chunk of cheese and the other half of ketonut
D: spicy buttery cabbage with bacon. Half a ketonut (should have put them in the freezer!!)
Just as well they are a one off present

Onlinecaroline

Lunch - 3 boiled eggs mashed in a cup with butter, salt and pepper.

Snack in the name of research - a caramel fibre one protein bar

Dinner - Beef and Halloumi fajitas with guacamole, cheese, sour cream, jalapeños and hot sauce.

DGF lemon and blueberry slice and a Montezuma truffle.

Tried out my Libre for the first time today and haven’t had a reading above 5 yet. Making me wary that it isn’t working!

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - greek yoghurt with mixed berries and a little double cream drizzled over the top.

Dinner - warm chargrilled chicken & avocado with salad. SF jelly with a little double cream on top

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch - 3 boiled eggs mashed in a cup with butter, salt and pepper.

Snack in the name of research - a caramel fibre one protein bar

Dinner - Beef and Halloumi fajitas with guacamole, cheese, sour cream, jalapeños and hot sauce.

DGF lemon and blueberry slice and a Montezuma truffle.

Tried out my Libre for the first time today and haven’t had a reading above 5 yet. Making me wary that it isn’t working!
The libre needs 24-48 hours to bed in, so the advice on here was.
I've put mine in today but won't scan until Saturday

Reactions: Onlinecaroline

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and 1/2 packet of coconut bites.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coffee chia pudding.
Dinner: tomato, mushroom and cheese omelette followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone found a good way to thicken a stew? I used to use lentils or Pearl barley in a lamb stew and was wondering if flaxseed or chia seed or something similar would work.
I dont want to add xanthan gum or arrowroot as I’m not keen on the slippery texture, and I don’t think I fancy adding cream to a lamb stew.
Any suggestions?
I just reduce it down. There's something in the back of my mind that @ziggy_w uses potato fibre. There's 20g of carbs in 100g but you wouldn't get close to 100g.

Reactions: annabell1 and DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brined chicken wings tonight. @DJC3 having only previously used my brining mixture on larger pieces of chicken (legs/thighs), I now know how you ate a whole kilo of wings. The skin to meat ratio really makes these extra delicious.

View attachment 47949

Lunch was pork belly pieces coated in chilli oil and salt and air fried.

Breakfast (yes, I was hungry again today) was some leftover chicken from yesterday’s Nando’s, warmed and skin crisped in the air frier.
They look really good!