What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Butterfly1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello (20/8/17) 4.50pm
Breakfast - quick oats (in microwave) using 200 ml unsweetened soya milk
ginger tea with half tsp turmeric (1st time with turmeric! bit strange!)
lunch - 2x hard boiled egg salad(no tomatoes/onions)
500ml still water
dinner - I have some home-made korma sauce to use up, might have quorn fillet x2 and side salad
drink - minimum 4L thru day

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
BG: half a Lidl roll, 2 grilled bacon and a dry fried egg
L: a slice of Leerdammer cheese
D: 170 gr filet steak with 150 gram of aubergine and 4 piccolo tomatoes.
Gonna have some 85% choc with my coffee.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No hunger today but blood sugar still not playing ball. Morning liver dump and then it crept down - took until before dinner to get down to where I usually am by mid-morning.

Breakfast - none

Lunch - none

Dinner - bolognese with courgetti and grated cheese; 2 squares Lindt 90%

Drinks - 1 mug tea with cream, 1 Diet Coke, 1 sparkling mineral water, tap water

Reactions: ziggy_w

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The first two days were horrendous - I was soooooo hungry - but I was following other forum member's threads who were saying what the ND website says, that it gets easier after the first couple of days. And, much to my surprise, it did! I am using oil and butter by the measured teaspoon rather than my normal glug or chunk but since day 3 I've not been hungry at all except just before meals. :)

Glad it's got easier. Will keep following!

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello

B - diet doctor chia pudding with blackberry chia jam
L - lidl protein roll with blackberry chia jam
D - bbq. With salad and red wine, followed by dd chia pudding

First attempt at chia pudding and followed recipe exactly but wondered if anyone has adapted it by adding different flavours etc.
Have a nice evening all xx

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Hello

B - diet doctor chia pudding with blackberry chia jam
L - lidl protein roll with blackberry chia jam
D - bbq. With salad and red wine, followed by dd chia pudding

First attempt at chia pudding and followed recipe exactly but wondered if anyone has adapted it by adding different flavours etc.
Have a nice evening all xx

When I made chia pudding I didn't have a recipe - I bought the chia from eBay - so I just bunged in anything I fancied and slowly realised what combo of ingredients I preferred. For instance, I really love strong black coffee with a touch of sweetener chia pudding or almond milk with coconut extract - or almond milk with good quality cocoa powder with some orange extract .... basically you can pretty much do what you like. :)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday ...

Spent half the day cooking and baking.

Breakfast: Two decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol. One wiener sausage.

Lunch: Nothing.

Late afternoon snack: One half of a home-made low-carb role with butter, the other half with goat cream cheese and tapenade.

Dinner: Experimented with a new way to prepare cauli rice. I added coconut milk, a bit of lime juice, grated lime peel, hot green chili, spring onions, coriander leaves, green curry paste, chicken broth, salt, galangal, five-spice powder, and a bit of xylitol. With this I roasted and peeled and deseeded a bunch of Anaheim peppers and filled them with a ground beef, pumpkin, coriander leaves, and onion mixture and topped them with feta and goat cream cheese.

Reactions: Goonergal

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol. One half of a low carb role with butter.

Lunch: Left-over cauli rice with filled Anaheim peppers.

Late-afternoon snack: 100g of hummus with olive oil and a piece of home-made low-carb flat bread.

Probably after work-out tonight: A cornsalad with Caesar's dressing and parmesan shavings.

Reactions: Goonergal and Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
One week of Newcastle Diet with real food duly completed:
Apparently I've lost 9lbs this week!! (Mostly water I think) with 1.5 inches off my waist
Last Monday my FBG was 8.6 and today it was 4.9
Last Monday my BMI was 34.7 and today it is 33.1

Sunday....

Breakfast: 1 fried egg, 1 middle rasher bacon, 1 baked fairly large tomato, quite a lot of baked mushrooms

Lunch: A few blackberries picked from a hedge near where I live

Dinner: Roast lamb, steamed carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, runner beans, gravy and mint sauce - I forced myself NOT to have roast parsnip (one of my favourites) or the broad beans Mr Chook was having

Drinks: Black Tassimo decaff with breakfast and mid morning, then sparkling mineral water with a small glass of red wine with dinner.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One week of Newcastle Diet with real food duly completed:
Apparently I've lost 9lbs this week!! (Mostly water I think) with 1.5 inches off my waist
Last Monday my FBG was 8.6 and today it was 4.9
Last Monday my BMI was 34.7 and today it is 33.1

Sunday....

Breakfast: 1 fried egg, 1 middle rasher bacon, 1 baked fairly large tomato, quite a lot of baked mushrooms

Lunch: A few blackberries picked from a hedge near where I live

Dinner: Roast lamb, steamed carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, runner beans, gravy and mint sauce - I forced myself NOT to have roast parsnip (one of my favourites) or the broad beans Mr Chook was having

Drinks: Black Tassimo decaff with breakfast and mid morning, then sparkling mineral water with a small glass of red wine with dinner.
That's great stuff. Is it 600 or 800 cals you are doing with real food and do you plan on keeping it constant for 8 weeks or mixing it up with say fasting days?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@maglil55

I'm eat 800 calories a day, 200ish for breakfast, 200is for lunch and the rest for dinner. I'm not mixing it up yet because it's working and I'm happy with its results right now but if I have a bad week where BGs go up or I gain weight then I will think about doing a 24 hour fast.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
BGs are a nightmare and I haven't worked out why yet . Carbs were higher at the wedding on Saturday but back under strict control yesterday.
Bed on an awful 9.5 but falling FBG 7.5 and rising. Real struggle to get under 7 been 7 or 8's almost all day.
B. Slice Hovis lower carb seeded with Sainsburys the tasty salmon one pate. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Tablespoon each of prawns, fresh anchovies. 2 cherry tomatoes and 2 mozzarella pearls. Mug of Marigold Swiss bouillon.
D. Pork loin saltimbocca and leftover better than potatoes cauliflower mash.
Pack Urban Fruit triple toasted coconut.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday:
B: scrambled eggs and herb tea
L: Dietdoctor smoked salmon in courgetti with cream cheese sauce
D: Mr B wanted a kebab, so I ordered chicken (breast chunks) with salad. It came with chips, but I only had a few. The garlic mayonnaise was used generously though. :D

Today:
B: Paleo porridge (I prefer it cold) and a glass of kefir
L: none
D: out with friends. so it will be steak or a bunless burger (because I know the menu at the place we are going). If I am strong, I will avoid the divine beer battered onion rings (it will be touch and go), and I will allow myself a few chips.

I already feel as if I have been gorging for days, so will probably cut back significantly tomorrow. I simply can't do these 3 meals a day any more...

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yesterday:
B: scrambled eggs and herb tea
L: Dietdoctor smoked salmon in courgetti with cream cheese sauce
D: Mr B wanted a kebab, so I ordered chicken (breast chunks) with salad. It came with chips, but I only had a few. The garlic mayonnaise was used generously though. :D

Today:
B: Paleo porridge (I prefer it cold) and a glass of kefir
L: none
D: out with friends. so it will be steak or a bunless burger (because I know the menu at the place we are going). If I am strong, I will avoid the divine beer battered onion rings (it will be touch and go), and I will allow myself a few chips.

I already feel as if I have been gorging for days, so will probably cut back significantly tomorrow. I simply can't do these 3 meals a day any more...

Was it those onion rings that triggered your gluten issues? If so then keep in mind how rubbish you felt last time you ate just one.... just sayin' ;) *hug*

Reactions: maglil55

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately, I seem to have two foods that are absolutely irresistible. Good quality, light as a feather, hand made posh onion rings, and profiteroles. I seem helpless to resist them. Especially if they appear on my plate unannounced.

If they are mentioned on the menu, I usually have the wherewithal to ask NOT to have them, but if they sneak up without warning... helpless I say.

Odd really, because there are vast numbers of foods that I can ignore, dismiss, reject without trauma, but those two... and the whole gluten thing is a very good argument, right up until I am sitting there, watching the Golden Rings of Crispy Deliciousness float across the room towards me, still steaming from the deep fat fryer. And suddenly, the consequences seem inconsequential.

Reactions: marathonmona

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Brunneria

Oh, I do so understand. My biggest problem is .... Yorkshire Puddings (I used to use the Delia Smith recipe which came out perfect every time.)

Being a Londoner I had only had Yorkshire Puds with roast beef dinners so it was quite a nice surprise to find out since moving up to Yorkshire that a) they are perfectly fine with just gravy on (as a sort of starter) b) are pretty stupendous with a dollop of jam or golden syrup and c) can be eaten with any roast - none of which will ever been able to pass my lips again.... :eek:.

Since low carbing a very frequent dream of mine is that I'm eating one - yes, really!

I almost cried recently when we went for a carvery and the chap carving put two HUGE gorgeous golden crispy Yorkies on my plate and I had to ask him to take them off. Bless him, he must have seen the look on my face because he gave me extra meat instead.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

Breakfast - none

Lunch - Nando's. Plain chicken leg with salad.

Dinner - the last of my courgette bake (fried courgettes layered with tomato and onion sauce and mozzarella, topped off with Parmesan) with broccoli; 2 squares Lindt 90%

Drinks - 2 mugs tea with cream, water

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
BGs are a nightmare and I haven't worked out why yet . Carbs were higher at the wedding on Saturday but back under strict control yesterday.
Bed on an awful 9.5 but falling FBG 7.5 and rising. Real struggle to get under 7 been 7 or 8's almost all day.
B. Slice Hovis lower carb seeded with Sainsburys the tasty salmon one pate. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Tablespoon each of prawns, fresh anchovies. 2 cherry tomatoes and 2 mozzarella pearls. Mug of Marigold Swiss bouillon.
D. Pork loin saltimbocca and leftover better than potatoes cauliflower mash.
Pack Urban Fruit triple toasted coconut.

And I've mixed up a new supply of chia pudding which is now resting in the fridge for tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app